Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Of all the films I've watched for the first time this year, my 5 favorites are.....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2012 6:58:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 6:12:59 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Metropolitan (Whit Stillman) - Great dialogue, Chris Eigeman stealing the show.
La Strada (Federico Fellini) - Beauty and the beast turned on it's head.
Modern Romance (Albert Brooks) - Laughs. Serious laughs.
Matewan (John Sayles) - Just an great all-round effort. Near perfect (imo)
The Swimmer (Frank Perry) - Lancaster goin' troppo in a great looking film.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 5:20:55 PM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
North By Northwest
Rear Window
One-Eyed Jack's
Ran
Cocaine Cowboys

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 6:01:38 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>7 & 7 IS says:
"North By Northwest
Rear Window"<

Your first time for those this year, JMJ? It's about time! I wish I could see movies of that caliber for the first time. I've had horrible luck this year. Have you seen 'Shadow of a Doubt' or 'Young and Innocent'?

I'm going to have to think over this question. I've seen less movies in the theater during the past six months than in any other half-year period since I was a four year old.
And most of the new-to-me movies I've seen on video were not very impressive.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 6:12:14 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Can anyone tell by my wording of the thread title that I'm a high school drop-out?

It should read "Of all the films I've watched this year for the first time, my 5 favorites are...."

So not only do I get an F on thread titling, I give myself an F- for forgetting to put 'Pather Panchali' in my top 5!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:09:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 7:17:51 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
You can still edit the OP! Which will you bump - 'La Strada'? You don't need more than two neorealism flicks up there, do ya!?

I understood the phrasing fine. George Carlin always said people are weird about rules in English, and there was nothing improper about the order of some uncommon phrasings -- like: "Would you hand me the potatoes?" could be phrased "The potatoes, hand me, would you?"

We are taught one way is "incorrect," or ungrammatical, or lower-class sounding. But it's the same message, as easy to understand, if not more direct.
Of course, no one wants to go around sounding like Yoda all the time.
I suppose it's like playing good jazz. First learn the rules, then you can break them well!

I give both titles a B-!
If I were titling it, I'd come up with something fruity like:

"Five favorite first-time film viewings this year for you are. . ."

See, I give that a C+. You're doing alright.

I'll try and scratch up 5 for tomorrow. I'm having a brain freeze on that now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:20:19 PM PDT
Hikari says:
>>>Can anyone tell by my wording of the thread title that I'm a high school drop-out? It should read "Of all the films I've watched this year for the first time, my 5 favorites are...."

Actually I would not have drawn that conclusion from this title, necessarily. Your correction is more clear, yes, and you fixed it yourself, so you are not such a dunderhead as you give yourself (dis)credit for. I knew what you meant the first time. :)

Since we are on the topic, I feel maybe we need to discuss "Vertigo knocks Kane off it's perch", however. Do you see anything that you might like to edit here? Do not degrade yourself for lack of educational attainment, though. Mr. Stith has some advanced academic degree and he makes the same error.

>>>So not only do I get an F on thread titling, I give myself an F- for forgetting to put 'Pather Panchali' in my top 5!

You are entirely too hard on yourself. Even I'm not that stringent a grader. I give you a B- for your first thread effort but an A now that it is corrected. For the other one--well, let's see if you catch it yourself. I'd have to go with a C-minus as it stands.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:25:46 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Hmmmm....is it the "it's"? Vertigo knocks Kane off its perch? Or should there be an "of" after the "off"?

Still, you shoulda seen some of the abandoned thread titles! It was midnight - on a Friday night, mind - and at the end of the day, I AM a high school drop-out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:38:36 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
I think if any film had to make way for the Apu, it would be La Strada.

I was lucky to sneak 'The Swimmer' in. I think I watched it in the first week of this year, thus beginning my own odyssey through the flics of Lancaster.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:40:00 PM PDT
Hikari says:
>>>Vertigo knocks Kane off its perch?

Bingo!! Got it in one.

The possessive/contracted forms seem to present more of a difficulty for people than any other single grammatical point in English. Once I started looking for the goofs, I found them everywhere. Just today the county fair flyer came out. Full of 'em. Proof-reader; schmoofreader . . or maybe it WAS proof-read, which just makes it scarier.

Indulge the English teacher in me for just one sec--I don't get to practice very much any more.

If you can insert "IS" into the sentence, the 's is indicated. Think of the ' as a placeholder for the letter 'I'.

It is a fine day.
It's a fine day.

Vertigo knocks Kane off it (is) perch. Nah.
In my opinion, it's indisputable that Kane deserves to hold on to its perch.

Vertigo has its pleasures but when I think Hitchcock, it's "Psycho" that jumps immediately to mind.

Though I do love Hitch's less rococco stuff--"Rebecca" and "Suspicion". Hitch really was at his best in black and white.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:47:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 9:14:42 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
You just have to remember it-apostrophe-s is always a contraction of "it is" or "it has"...so if it doesn't sound right that way, it's not.
"Its" is always for the possessive, like "Before the car was used to run over the hobo-who-knew-too-much, its engine revved and wheels screeched."
You probably instinctively knew that, but the lines blur and we get lazy as the hours roll, and our fingers type too fast.

Anyway, I can't think of a whole 5 superior new movies yet from this year so far, but I did find this:

Top Ten Posters this week on Amazon movie forum:

1. William A. Smith (199 posts...)
2. Jonathan Baker (191 - where'd I find the time?!? It's crazy!)
3. Kacee (182)
4. Sloany: Live From Monk's Cafe (152)
5. GW™ (121)
6. Jeff Donaldson
7. Quexos
8. Spiritual Architect
9. EMMA S. HOGWALLOP
10. chooker97 (101 posts)

If they went per the word, I think Hikari and Puppets might have cracked the top ten. Jeff and chooker are just on for the games, so not many words per post there.

I can't believe I only just discovered this site:

http://boardreader.com/site/Amazon_com_movie_Discussion_Fo_4082150.html

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:49:26 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Yeah, I'm generally good on the 'its, it's' thing. It is becomes it's. Usually, I'd catch that error. Sadly, it will stand for eternity.

For mine, it's 'Rear Window'. I just love that film. I guess it appeals to the voyeur inside of me. I'm not saying that facetiously either. It really does appeal to me on that level. I've been known to sit on a bench and just watch the people go by.

'Vertigo' has never really been a fave of mine. I tend to need a strong coffee while watching.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:54:22 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Ha....how weird is that? I notice that the number of posts is gradually decreasing. If Stith was around, it wouldn't have dropped quite as much.

How did you find that?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 8:12:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 8:14:12 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
I was browsing another site, and someone linked to "boardreader". I think I saw that before, a year ago, but I knew so little about computers then I thought it was witchcraft, I just ran away without a second thought.

Now I can use it to monitor the habits of the movie board and spy on you all.

Hey, what a surprise: looking up IMDb, I see K-Stew and R-Pattz are in the top ten most viewed forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 8:27:20 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Here I was, feeling self-righteous because my name does not appear in the Top Ten (back in the day, boyo, back in the day . . .) and then, Quel Horreur!!!, I read THIS:

>>>If they went per the word, I think Hikari and Puppets might have cracked the top ten.

Me . . . .and Puppets???!

Aw, nutz!! And I considered this a very light week, considering that my #1 Lewis agapemone correspondent, TAS, has been absent. Other than a couple of posts to Mr. Smith, I thought I was doing pretty well with the pith.

Not so much.

This weblink scares me but I have to go look at it right now . . .

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 8:33:49 PM PDT
Hikari says:
I feel so violated . . . :)

(More please.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 8:57:44 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Puppets (er - I mean Pastor of Muppets, and NOT Gordo the Lonely Puppet, according to Muppets) has been very active lately in the review and other threads.
Although his long review of the short film 'Night and Fog' was very Gordo-esque, I'm still willing to entertain the possibility it's all a big freaky coincidence.
Stranger things have happened on this board. . .

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 9:05:37 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
"I'm still willing to entertain the possibility it's all a big freaky coincidence."

Some kind of 'twins separated at birth' thing? Add the scribbler, and it's triplets!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 10:17:26 PM PDT
Baker: Almost top ten? Wow. I need a life.

Actually, I style most of my reviews on Roger Ebert's Great Movies series. If you think my "Night and Fog" review is long, I would be more than happy to post my reviews of "Schindler's List" and Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", my two longest reviews, I believe. Both are over 1,000 words.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 10:28:33 PM PDT
Anyway, here's my five favorites, with some honorable mentions:

Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick)
Duck Soup (Leo McCarey)
La Belle et la Bete (Jean Cocteau)
Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock)
Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee)

Honorable Mentions:

My Fair Lady (George Cukor)
Hoop Dreams (Steve James)
JFK (Oliver Stone)
The Piano (Jane Campion)
Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 12:28:37 AM PDT
Kacee says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 8:36:19 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Seriously number 9? Huh... and here I thought I was having a slow posting week.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 8:39:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 8:40:30 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
In no particular order, my top 5 of 2012 (so far)...

Cocaine Cowboys - Documentary about the 1970-1980s cocaine epidemic in Miami. Absolutely fascinating.

Food, Inc. - I'm not sure if it qualifies as a favorite... but it's defiantly one of the most memorable.

Dead Snow - Horror comedy with Nazi zombies... hilarious!

Jaws (Widescreen Anniversary Collector's Edition) - Great movie, even if it exacerbated my fear of water. Sorry I waited so long to watch.

Mary and Max - Clay animated, black comedy. Weird but fantastic film.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 9:06:05 AM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Sloany,

High School Drop-out???Takes one to know one!!
We are expressing ourselves informally!

My classic favorite , is All About Eve. Luvs Bette Davis!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 1:59:11 PM PDT
Good ones. If you liked 'Metropolitan' then you need to check out 'Barcelona' and 'The Last Days of Disco', the other two titles in that Stillman trilogy.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 5:37:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 5:53:21 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
My, of all this year's first-time film favorites I've watched, here are the 5 x 5. . .

Theatrical:
1. 'The Deep Blue Sea' (director: Terence Davies; starring Rachel Weisz & Tom Hiddleston)
2. 'Kid With a Bike' (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne; w/ Cécile De France & Thomas Doret)
3. 'This is Not a Film' (Jafar Panahi & Mojtaba Mirtahmasb; w/ Jafar Panahi)
4. 'Damsels in Distress' (Whit Stillman; w/ Greta Gerwig & Adam Brody)
5. 'Dark Horse' (Todd Solondz; w/: Justin Bartha, Selma Blair & Mia Farrow)

[note: I *still* haven't seen 'Moonrise Kingdom' yet! I'll try to finally make it later this week. I hate the crowds!]

DVD:
1. 'Rio Conchos' (director: Gordon Douglas; stars: Richard Boone & Jim Brown)
2. 'We Won't Grow Old Together' (Maurice Pialat; w/ Marlène Jobert & Jean Yanne)
3. 'Judge Priest' (John Ford; w/ Will Rogers & Anita Louise)
4. 'Joe' (John G. Avildsen; w/ Peter Boyle & Susan Sarandon)
5. 'Vigilante' (William Lustig; w/ Robert Forster & Fred Williamson)

[moral: I need to make more time for watching new-to-me movies on video, to say nothing of theatrically... and I still haven't seen 'Moonrise Kingdom'!]

▬ special mention: Best flick I saw on the computer was Sam Peckinpah's 'Noon Wine' (made for ABC Stage 67 anthology program). But the VHS rip condition was fairly poor, so it's hard to judge overall the movie. I'm not a big Jason Robards fan, but he was at his best working for Lumet and Peckinpah.
Runner-up on that score Daniel Petrie's 'Buster and Billie'. The condition on that video was also poor, but the movie was a good'n.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions