Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Documentary that you found facinating/interesting?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 763 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 21, 2015 10:58:49 PM PDT
D. Vicks says:
David Halberstam's THE FIFTIES is very good.For some reason its not on DVD.

Posted on May 21, 2015 3:37:57 PM PDT
Sakuteiki says:
Alexandra david-néel, Alexandra david-neel, mon tibet Parisian opera singer who at age 55 snuck into the Forbidden Land Tibet walking four months to reach Lhasa. She spoke with the Dalai Lama, twice had audience with the Panchen Lama, continued her adventures supported financially by her husband who published her letters as My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City, My Journey to Lhasa: The Personal Story of the Only White Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City, Magic and Mystery in Tibet. Eventually David-Neel wrote 30 books, died at age 101 in 1969. Her intrepid travels are mesmerizing though she had to relate them in recollection, since the first four attempts to penetrate Tibet were repelled when she was discovered to be a philing (foreigner). Finally she just carried the clothes on her back, a walking stick and a pack, blackened her face with ash and soot, lengthened her hair with yak braids and forged ahead begging for food along the way from fellow pilgrims travelers and villagers. David-Neel studied Sanskrit and comparative religion in college, read and spoke Tibetan. Even just breathing at 16,000 feet is arduous, she walked without food or water for days across 18,000 foot passes in the winter of 1923-24, spent two years living as a hermit meditating. Also see Dhamma Brothers 10 day meditation training and 10 year follow up, Forks Over Knives based on the book The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health T Colin Campbell and Happy based on Sonja Lyubomirsky's book By Sonja Lyubomirsky - The Myths of Happiness: What Should Make You Happy, But Doesn't, What Shouldn't Make You Happy, But Does (12.4.2012)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 9:07:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2015 9:18:04 PM PDT
Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet

The story of a musician diagnosed with ALS at 20, who continues to write music even after losing the ability to move or speak, communicating exclusively via an eye pattern chart.

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 6:07:42 PM PDT
D. Vicks says:
The PBS documentary Steve Jobs:One Last Thing was informative.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 1:22:32 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
PBS is airing Nazi Mega Weapons/Structures. I just finished watching "Nazi Megaweapons, Siegfried Line". I've heard much about it, but this is the first time I saw how fearsome it was. Those Nazis really used the cement. At one point, while building the Atlantic Wall, they ran out of "clean sand" and had to wash the salt out of the beach sand.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2015 8:06:39 AM PDT
stevign says:
Do you mean, welcome back?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 6:25:37 PM PDT
MT Pockets says:
Welcome!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 6:18:44 PM PDT
stevign says:
Thanks Megan. ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 6:17:38 PM PDT
stevign says:
No doubt.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 5:38:03 PM PDT
MT Pockets says:
They had it available on Netflix for a while...not sure if it's still there or not. I ended up buying the DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 5:27:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2015 5:28:16 PM PDT
Larry Kelley:

In "Das Rheingold," the first opera of "The Ring of the Neibelungs," Richard Wagner specifies eighteen anvils to be rhythmically struck during the interlude music as Wotan and Loge are going below to have it out with Alberich and the Niebelungs in the following scene. Wagner specifies the size and pitch of the anvils to be used in his brilliant orchestration.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 4:54:44 PM PDT
stevign says:
I can't wait until the next person tells me they "like all kinds of music", I'll be able to ask them exactly how much do they really like the "German Anvil Choir" or their tribute band, "CLANK"?

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:50:52 PM PDT
Before dementia sets in, they ususally have the most awful ringing in their ears.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 4:49:04 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "t is hard to tell unhammered from hammered!"

That's what happens after years of being abused by blacksmiths, you drink to dull the pain so often that no one can tell if you're drunk or sober. I can only assume concussions and then dementia is the fate of all anvils. (sigh)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 2:27:43 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
LK,

Choir or is it a quire ? Is a Chorus , course ? and a horse is a horse, of course~~~~~~~~~~~~

You read too much, all I know is what I see on TV.

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:22:39 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Joaniepony: oh, uh, I thought the plural of choir was chorus. Nevermind.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 2:21:37 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
LK,

It makes a difference if it is done by a Chorus.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 2:19:31 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
There is a choir for anvils? I didn't know that. The only sound I heard them make was a kind lf CLANK when someone hit them with a big hammer. Listen to that enough and you will get a headache. Anvil Chorus, huh, who woulda thought!

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:15:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2015 2:25:02 PM PDT
Anvils do have some value. It would not be the same Avil Chorus without an anvil, of course.

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:05:10 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
I have never met an Anvil that I really liked--on the other hand I have never met an anvil that I really disliked. I have seen them when they have been hammered and it is hard to tell unhammered from hammered! I have seen them get blown up--and they just go up and then come down. If they went up and didn't come down, that would be interesting, but, nope, just up and then down.

I heard someone say they had an anvil in his ear, but darned if I could see how it would fit. Maybe he was hammered when he said it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 10:16:49 AM PDT
stevign says:
I would assume that "some" blacksmiths get a little too "up close and personal" with their anvils, but I still prefer women.

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 9:55:18 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Anyone like ANVIL?

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:28:38 AM PDT
stevign says:
The band the public never knew about......and probably still don't.

Wrecking Crew

As a documentary, this is one of the very, very best. It is absolutely stunning WHO they backed up, how MANY they backed up, and how many music GENRES they could expertly play.

" The group got its name from drummer Hal Blaine who says older studio musicians, mostly a suit-and-tie crowd, were dismayed by the newcomers. "We come in wearing blue jeans, smoking and the older guys said, "They're gonna wreck the business!" "

http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/

10/10 Stars

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2015 6:26:41 PM PDT
stevign says:
I totally agree, even if one isn't an athlete or care about sports, the stories on 30/30 are well worth watching.

Posted on Apr 23, 2015 2:26:59 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
"30/30" seems to be putting out great docs on athletes and teams. My earlier post on "33STR8" was very positive--I would watch it again.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  144
Total posts:  763
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2010
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions