Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite film directed by Steven Spielberg Part 2 of 2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 1:20:10 PM PDT
Due to unexpected complications (i.e. No OP to call the original game), we are going to have to start over. Sorry chaps but this must be decided once and for all!

Welcome to the FINAL Favorite film directed by Steven Spielberg [Game]. All previous and/or future games (concerning this subject) will be null and void. So last chance to get your votes right people!

Rules/Guidelines:
1. One voting post per day
2. Unlimited "+" and "-" per voting post.

Contestants:
2011, War Horse - 5
2011, The Adventures of Tintin - 5
2008, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 5
2005, Munich - 5
2005, War of the Worlds - 5
2004, The Terminal - 5
2002, Catch Me If You Can - 5
2002, Minority Report - 5
2001, A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 5
1998, Saving Private Ryan - 5
1997, Amistad - 5
1997, The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 5
1993, Schindler's List - 5
1993, Jurassic Park - 5
1991, Hook - 5
1989, Always - 5
1989, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 5
1987, Empire of the Sun - 5
1985, The Color Purple - 5
1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 5
1982, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - 5
1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark - 5
1979, 1941 - 5
1977, Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 5
1975, Jaws - 5
1971, Duel - 5
1974, The Sugarland Express - 5
1964, Firelight - 5

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:20:19 PM PDT
In three...two..one.

1993, Jurassic Park - 39
1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 7
1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark - 36
1975, Jaws - 67
1971, Duel - 6

-5 War Horse [out]
-5 Tintin [out]
-5 Jones and the Crystal Skull [out]
-5 Munich [out]
-5 War of the Worlds [out]
-5 The Terminal [out]
-5 Catch Me If You Can [out]
-5 Minority Report [out]
-5 A.I. Artificial Intelligence [out]
-5 Saving Private Ryan [out]
-5 Amistad [out]
-5 The Lost World[out]
-5 Schindler's List [out]
+39 Jurassic Park
-5 Hook [out]
-5 Always [out]
-5 Last Crusade [out]
-5 Empire of the Sun [out]
-5 The Color Purple [out]
+2 DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
-5 E.T. [out]
+31 Raiders of the Lost Ark
-5 1941 [out]
-5 Close Encounters of the Third Kind [out]
+62 Jaws
+1 Duel
-5 The Sugarland Express [out]
-5 Firelight - [out]

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:20:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 3:18:03 PM PDT
****THIS GAME IS OFFICIALLY CALLED****NO FURTHER VOTES ACCEPTED****

This is a good point to end the game, since we finally reached a Top 5. And the Winners are...

1st place: Jaws 67
2nd: Jurassic Park 39
3rd: Raiders of the Lost Ark 36
4th: Temple of Doom 7
5th: Duel 6

Huh, would you look at that? That is exactly how the first game ended. Freaky! Oh well, case closed...permanently. I would personally like to say Thank You to all the lovely participants. It honestly has been a long, entertaining road to the finish. Hope to see you all at the next game. Please drive safely.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:16:15 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I honestly thought you were restarting the game again. Well played.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:42:01 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Jesus: "It is accomplished! It is Finished! Whatever."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:04:13 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Duel wins again! Just as it should be!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 11:17:36 AM PDT
Every time a forum game ends, an angel heaves a sigh of satisfaction. ;)

I'm happy that Bruce the Shark rules.

Now let's go swimming!!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:16:31 PM PDT
Q says:
You titled this wrong. I would have gone with "The Sock Puppets Guide To Steven Spielberg".

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 6:10:01 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
How in the world did Temple of Doom end up in the top five of favorite Spielberg movies? What happened to Close Encounters, surely a far better film than Temple of Doom?! And I say that as one who happens to like Temple of Doom. Something's askew here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 6:27:15 AM PDT
During SS Part 1, some pesky chick just would not let Doom die. And I believe she also downvoted Encounters due to some irrational dislike for Richard Dreyfuss. Crazy chick I tell ya!!!! I think her name was Alice or Amelia or something else that begins with a vowel ;)

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:06:16 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Hello, my name is EMMA

It must have been something odd like that because most posters on this forum are rational people. Doom chosen over Encounters? It sounds like another sign of the end! Heavenly days!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 7:30:32 AM PDT
RE: "most posters on this forum are rational people"

I don't know. Lately, there seems to a lot of evidence to the contrary.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 7:36:34 AM PDT
That is indeed cuckoo. Close Encounters should be in the top five, over Duel and Temple of Doom.

That's what happens with voting games. Things can get sucky.

Temple of Doom, while fun, is my least favorite Indy joint. It's a bug-fest, with an annoying blonde loud idiot in Kate Capshaw.

But that mine cart ride is a blast, isn't it. that would make a great theme park ride.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:01:55 AM PDT
RE: "Temple of Doom, while fun, is my least favorite Indy joint"

Wait, are you rating Crystal Skull over Doom? I'll agree Willie is highly annoying. But Shia LaBeouf has absolutely no business being in any Indy film.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 8:06:56 AM PDT
Emma,

Good call: I should have clarified that among the first three films, Doom is low man on the totem pole for me.

Shia was so-so in Crystal Skull.

My mind still considers that franchise a trilogy because it had been that way for so long; I rented the fourth one and thought it was decent but nothing to write home about.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 11:58:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 12:03:02 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Baron Sardonicus

I'm with you on this - I still have a bit of difficulty thinking of Crystal Skull as a member of the Indy film family, but, obviously, it is. Actually, I enjoyed the show up until that weird sci-fi ending, which seemed to come from a completely different film. Why in the world did Lucas and Spielberg think that was a plausible ending to an Indiana Jones movie?

Now, I can hear someone saying that the first three movies also had bizarre endings, but those endings were based on the idea of the supernatural intersecting with reality, all based on Judeo-Christian ideas. Crystal Skull's ending steps away from that genre into accepting extra-terrestrial (or inter-dimensional) beings, outside the world view of the first three movies. It seems an unlikely blending of film genres.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 12:06:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 12:07:18 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
In my above post, I forgot that Temple of Doom posits the reality of the power of Far Eastern religious beliefs, but those are still the beliefs of people of our reality. The beings of Crystal Skull's conclusion are not of our reality and it feels false. At least it does to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 12:48:46 PM PDT
Some people will believe anything. Google "crystal skull," they're apparently "real."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 1:12:54 PM PDT
Cavardossi,

Yes, it does seem like a blend of genres in #4. Maybe Spielberg and Lucas are fine with the series delving into different realms. But really, often it's "the simpler, the better", I've found.

But don't be surprised if a fifth film involves a teen sleuth assisting Grandpa Indy in finding a ghost in an English estate in the countryside. (Just kidding.)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 4:36:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 4:38:31 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
This thread is truer today than the day it was commenced!

Gosh, it's been a Month already since those two decided to continue the Futile Pursuit. And it will be another Month before they're close to finishing, that is provided Sloany continues to help them speed it up.

What makes it all the more nightmarishly stupid is that it's all such a foregone conclusion.

Maybe there is something Zen about it to those two that the rest of us can't see? Like using a little hatchet to cut down a giant tree, instead of using power tools, or getting someone else to do it?
And why does it need to chopped down anyway?
We all know what order the fruit fell... in reality.

But reality can always be altered, and distorted, in the imaginations of those who rewrite history for their own vain purposes.

2 years from now, no one is going to remember whether 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' came out in 3rd place (reality) or 1st place (fantasy version) yet for some reason it's *really* important to them now.

I wonder what Dr. Hugo Bronfrenbrenner would say about this, if there IS a point to all the seeming madness?. . .
http://www.innerspaeth.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/hula-hoop.gif

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 5:58:18 PM PDT
Haha! I completely forgot about this. 

Ah let the boys have their OCD ritual... um.. I mean Zen ritual. Hopefully it will end before 2013.

Besides all the TRUE voters know that... DUEL WINS!!!!  Darn that Zolar Waka... I meant Dooooommmmmm wins!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:10:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 10, 2012 10:30:45 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:19:01 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Duel is my favorite Spielberg, clearly making it the "best" as well. Duel Wins! Again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:35:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 6:52:25 PM PDT
Lew,
I do not post in your thread (any more). Please leave.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:39:02 PM PDT
ZOLAR!!! Nice to see you! I've never seen Duel.. but for you I will hunt down a copy and watch this weekend.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions