Okay, for those of you who are participating in the Most Overrated Animated Movies thread, I had just recently challenged a user of these forums named Suzanne to prove that I can make my case against Neon Genesis Evangelion. The conditions are the following:
1. The first time through, I will be watching 3 episodes at a time for 5 straight days per 3 episodes; in the case of the last 5 days, I will only be watching the last two episodes.
2. After that, I will compile my notes, and watch the movie back-to-back with the last 3 episodes for 3 straight days.
3. Finally, I will conclude my marathon with 5 episodes at a time for 2 straight days, saving the movie for last.
4. I will then draft, edit, and finally, post my final draft of a heavily lengthy essay reviewing both Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the movie, End of Evangelion. Due to the overwhelming size of the review, however, I will give you guys summary review and then post a link to the essay as a whole.
5. I've got until the end of June 7th of this year to finish the review; otherwise, I will lose the challenge. I am allowed to cut corners if necessary (for example, I don't plan on spending a single cent on the show or the movies), but I aim to meet the deadline, preferrably by 9 PM Rocky Mountain Time (that's 8 PM according to Amazon).
These rules apply to me and me alone. Should I not meet the conditions by then, I will plan to finish what I started, but I will gracefully accept defeat to Suzanne, having failed to meet the rules I set up for myself. If you guys like, you can post your thoughts on my challenge, discuss the series between friends and foes, and even give me tips or constructive criticism on said challenge (heck, you can call this challenge stupid for all I care; just explain your reasons why).
Now, before I start this challenge, let me be frank with you; I have yet to begin the challenge myself. Not a note was taken, not a single episode has been seen. I will update you guys once per day, with markers if necessary stringing my thoughts together so that you guys can follow. I encourage Permalinks for those who wish to keep track of my thoughts of the day to better follow my little...blog if you will.
So for today, let me give you my first reactions for the first 2 things that caught my attention:
1. The opening theme song (because it's the first thing anyone listens to when they turn on and watch): Pretty catchy, I guess; the first lyrics I caught on translate into, ''Like a cruel angel...young boy, become a legend.'' I don't know if that's dodgy subtitles at best, or Japanese lyrics don't make much sense, but 9 times out of 10, when it comes to openings to cartoons, they tend to be the best part of the show itself. It actually gets people hyped for the show itself, and the visuals look rather fascinating. There are a ton of charts and symbols spliced in as well, and while I've made my stance against this series as a whole, I will make this abundantly clear on the offchance that my opinion magically changes; the show better know what it's talking about. I know I'm not saying much about the opening itself, but then again, this is the first day, and this is just a first impression on my part.
2. The titles of each episode (I'll cover them as I proceed through each episode, 3 episodes at a time): Okay, I found a YouTube channel that holds the entire show and the movie in its entirety, and all I've got to say is this; the titles are freaking idiotic. I know it's their attempt to be witty, but the titles of these episodes are exceptionally stupid. I'll share with you the titles tomorrow when I start my critique of the entire series, but considering the fact that even the title of the show on this channel is different, I'll share it with you: The Robotic Adventures of Emo Lad. Okay, I got to love what the user decided to dub the show, and yet nothing else is different. Unfortunately, I'll have to settle on the English dub here because it's the only version where I have consistent access to each and every episode and the movie, all of which free of charge.
So, feel free to do whatever you want. The only rule of thumb is to keep the discussions focused on Evangelion in some way, shape or form. Enjoy, and stick around because I'll be keeping you guys posted.
Recent discussions in the Movie forum
|Is it time for a faithful adaptation of 2001 a Space Odyssey?||279||44 seconds ago|
|Bullets kill instantly and other Lies and Bullcrap from Movies and Tv shows||282||52 minutes ago|
|TV Talk||1000||59 minutes ago|
|Favorite lines in a Stanley Kubrick film.||6||2 hours ago|
|Revenge of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever!||2490||2 hours ago|
|Chevy Chase Vs. Bill Murray||30||2 hours ago|
|Movie Game! 10 movies where... continued!||9903||2 hours ago|
|[You are ignoring the customer that started this discussion.]||3||3 hours ago|
|Do you want to build a snowman?||15||4 hours ago|
|Your favorite member of the Python troupe,Stooge,& Marx brother.||15||4 hours ago|
|Steve Martin||4||4 hours ago|
|More Reviews of the Last Movie You Watched||8867||6 hours ago|