Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Oscar oversights?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2011 7:03:01 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
Movies that (somehow) didn't win Best Picture:

"King Kong" (1933)
"The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" (1948)
"Psycho" (1960)
"Planet Of the Apes" (1968)
"Fatal Attraction" (1987)
"Pulp Fiction" (1994)
"Requiem For A Dream" (2000),

I have many personal picks/favorites in various categories (most of which didn't win & many of which weren't even nominated), but these seem to be some of the biggest, most blatant anomalies (in the Best Picture category, anyway)--movies that have been widely celebrated, beloved, praised &/or otherwise acknowledged as being among the best, most influential, most powerful ever made (certainly among the best--if not THE best--of their respective years).

Whatever their nominations or other awards, do you feel like these movies (among others) were cheated?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2011 5:18:34 PM PDT
Never saw the last one. I agree with all but maybe Fatal, as I never saw The Last Emp.

Posted on May 16, 2011 9:35:15 PM PDT
The worst case of this was Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. Besides those you have listed I would add Dr. Strangelove, Chinatown, The Usual Suspects, Taxi Driver, Jaws and Training Day to name a few.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 12:02:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 5:49:48 PM PDT
The one that jumps out at me is Pulp Fiction. A truly great film - script, direction and performances - that was pipped at the post by, of all movies, Forrest Gump. The two don't even exist on the same plateau. But we all know how much Oscar loves to have his heart strings pulled by the mentally challenged.

Fatal Attraction kicks The Last Emperors butt from here to china, but I felt Moonstruck was vastly superior to both.

Posted on May 17, 2011 2:38:42 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
In fairness, I never saw "The Last Emperor", but it seemed like it would be the kind of movie I don't care for--the kind of sweeping historical epic that Oscar loves. I was never impressed with "Moonstruck", but I do like 3 movies Cher had previously done--"Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean", "Silkwood" & "Mask". "Fatal Attraction" is one of my all-time favorites.

Posted on May 17, 2011 2:45:01 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
"The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" Made me instantly think of Fallout: New Vegas DLC Dead Money! How out of touvh with classic cinema am I? lol

Posted on May 21, 2011 9:17:28 AM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
BUMP!!!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:52:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 3:52:38 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
I thought that Alan Rickman should have, at least, been nominated for his portrayal of Prof. Snape in the Harry Potter films, especially the final one.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:09:56 PM PDT
JCRB says:
In terms of Best Actress, I forgot what year it was, but I remember being shocked (yes, SHOCKED I say!) when Julia Roberts was picked over Ellen Burstyn for Erin Brockovich instead of Requiem For A Dream.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 10:05:45 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Only taking into consideration films that should have won, specifically over truly awful pictures, starting with the most recent of years starting with Best Picture:

2008: The Dark Knight; Synecdoche, New York; The Wrestler; and Gran Torino are all infinitely superior to Slumdog Millionaire.
2005: Brokeback Mountain; Serenity; and Good Night, and Good Luck over Crash.
2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; Sideways; Kill Bill; Downfall; Finding Neverland; The Aviator; and Spider-Man 2 over Million Dollar Baby.
1996: Fargo over The English Patient--or Jerry Maguire.
1993: Fearless or Groundhog Day over Schindler's List.
1989: Henry V or Crimes and Misdemeanors over Driving Miss Daisy--or worse--Do the Right Thing!
1988: Rain Man is shockingly basic and uninteresting for a Best Picture winner. I'd pick Die Hard or Who Framed Roger Rabbit--or to a lesser extent, Akira.
1987: Moonstruck over The Last Emperor. Wasn't really a fan of Fatal Attraction.
1986: Ferris Bueller is better than Platoon.
1983: The Right Stuff over Terms of Endearment--I think my whole entire family can vouch for me here, as would most people on these forums.
1979: Apocalypse Now over Kramer vs. Kramer.
1978: If we really need a competition, then the only film I can possibly think of to replace The Deer Hunter would be Superman, which I'm not that big a fan of.
1968: 2001 over Oliver!
1967: Of the nominees, I'd pick The Graduate over everything else nominated that year. In general, I'd settle for Cool Hand Luke.
1961: Last Year at Marienbad over West Side Story.
1960: Psycho over The Apartment.
1958: Vertigo and Touch of Evil over Gigi--though I prefer the former.
1955: Kiss Me Deadly over Marty.
1952: Singin' in the Rain over The Greatest Show on Earth, Oscar's worst oversight besides The Last Emperor.
1951: The Day the Earth Stood Still over An American in Paris--or the other favorite, A Streetcar Named Desire.
1947: The Bishop's Wife over Gentlemen's Agreement.
1945: Spellbound, Brief Encounter, and Mildred Pierce are all better than The Lost Weekend.
1942: The Magnificient Ambersons over Mrs. Miniver.
1941: Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon over How Green was My Valley.
1938: The Adventures of Robin Hood over You Can't Take It With You (the only Capra film that's even worse than that is Arsenic and Old Lace).
1937: Grand Illusion or Lost Horizon over The Life of Emile Zola.
1936: My Man Godfrey over The Great Ziegfeld. Some may say Modern Times, but I personally didn't really care much for that one.
1934: The Thin Man over It Happened One Night.
1933: King Kong or The Testament of Dr. Mabuse over Cavalcade.
1932: Shanghai Express over Grand Hotel.
1931: City Lights, M, Frankenstein, Public Enemy, Dracula, and countless other Gangster and Horror flicks released at the time are better than Cimarron.

And for actors, Robert Downey Jr. was better in Tropic Thunder than Heath Ledger was as The Joker. And while I'm at it, so was Mickey Rourke much better than Sean Penn that year. And who knows how many times Meryl Streep should have won over her competition...heck, she probably should have been recognized for Death Becomes Her even.

And the next category to tackle, might as well cover them all in order:

2001: Shrek was the right choice that year.
2002: Spirited Away won. I'd pick Ice Age.
2003: None; all the nominees were terrible. The only animated movies from that year I had any liking for were Tokyo Godfathers (which should have won) and Pokemon Heroes (yes, deal with it).
2004: Depends on your point of view which is better: The Incredibles, or Shrek 2. Frankly, they were right with The Incredibles. Still, I can't believe they nominated Shark Tale instead of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow--or to a lesser extent, The Polar Express.
2005: Corpse Bride over Wererabbit.
2006: None because they all range from miniscule to just plain bad. My personal list of nominees would have been Ice Age 2, A Scanner Darkly, or my personal pick, Paprika.
2007: I liked Ratatouille, but I'd go with The Simpsons Movie that year (which wasn't even nominated!!!).
2008: Wall-E was the single worst choice the Academy has ever made. And the fact that Waltz with Bashir wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature but Foreign Language Film is just plain inexcusable. Given the results, no award at all--but under dsperation, I'd pick Kung-Fu Panda.
2009: Up is too sentimental, Fantastic Mr. Fox is too dry, The Princes and the Frog is too flamboyant, Monsters vs. Aliens is too generic, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was too stupid. Guess all that's left to choose from is Coraline and Secret of the Kells. I'd go with Coraline.
2010: Toy Story 3 was good, but too marred with gooey sentimentality to be great. I'd pick How To Train Your Dragon.
2011: Probably one of the most contentious years in Oscar history all categories considered. It's a shame neither Tintin, Winnie the Pooh, or Arthur Christmas were nominated, however. But on a whole, not a horrible choice of nominees.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:24:29 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
1967: Of the nominees, I'd pick The Graduate over everything else nominated that year. In general, I'd settle for Cool Hand Luke.
I'll pick The Comedians.
1960: Psycho over The Apartment.

Pacific Heights didn't come out in 1960.

1958: Vertigo and Touch of Evil over Gigi--though I prefer the former.
Two of the most overrated thrillers ever against one of the most well-crafted musicals ever made.
1955: Kiss Me Deadly over Marty.
I haven't seen Marty but Kiss Me Deadly isn't really that good. Beter films include The Court Jester, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and To Catch a Thief.
1952: Singin' in the Rain over The Greatest Show on Earth, Oscar's worst oversight besides The Last Emperor.
The Quiet Man all the way
1951: The Day the Earth Stood Still over An American in Paris--or the other favorite, A Streetcar Named Desire.
There are several films from this year I should get around to seeing including An American in Paris. (It has Oscar Levant in it so can't be all bad.) I personally find The Day the Earth Stood Still has a poisonous message. People Will Talk is an exceptionally underrated film from this year.
1934: The Thin Man over It Happened One Night.
While Powell and Loy have great chemistry many of the Thin Man movies are fairly cheesy in how they handle the mystery and the first one is no exception with those shots of the title character menacing the world at large. To say it that is is better than one of the most perfectly constructed movies ever made, I don think so.
1933: King Kong or The Testament of Dr. Mabuse over Cavalcade.
1932: Shanghai Express over Grand Hotel.
1931: City Lights, M, Frankenstein, Public Enemy, Dracula, and countless other Gangster and Horror flicks released at the time are better than Cimarron.

If anyone should won an Oscar for Death Becomes Her it was Bruce Willis. He was specularly playing against type. even.

I really don't watch as many animated films as you especially in the last decade, I assume the Direct-to-Video superhero movies that DC has been releasing are not eligible.
2001: Shrek was the right choice that year.
If the Jimmy Neutron movie was anything like the series, the Shrek was pretty much worst movie nominated.
2005: Corpse Bride over Wererabbit.
Hoodwinked isn't even nominated.
2007: I liked Ratatouille, but I'd go with The Simpsons Movie that year (which wasn't even nominated!!!).
Rather strange for such a high profile, well-received film to be overlooked for Movies I never heard of. I suspect this category has its own prejudices.
2010: Toy Story 3 was good, but too marred with gooey sentimentality to be great. I'd pick How To Train Your Dragon.

How does Toy Story 3 Compare to The Brave Little Toaster?

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:46:12 AM PDT
1960 Psycho
1961 The Hustler
1962 The Manchurian Candidate but Lawrence of Arabia is awesome on the big screen and To Kill a Mockingbird is great also.
1964 Dr. Strangelove
1966 Chimes at Midnight
1967 Bonnie and Clyde
1968 2001
1969 The Wild Bunch no contest
1976 Taxi Driver easily. Can't stand Rocky or Network.
1977 Star Wars or Close Encounters vs Annie Hall. As much as I love to beat up on Lucas and Spielberg I'd much rather watch those movies than Annie Hall. Woody Allen has done better movies.
1978 The Deer Hunter was intense but really long. Terrible year looking at the nominees.
1979 Apocalypse Now far surpasses Kramer vs. Kramer
1980 I'm not that big a fan of Raging Bull or Ordinary People so either The Shining or Empire Strikes Back. Flash Gordon and the Stunt Man were also very good.
1981 Raiders of The Lost Ark or Excalibur over Chariots of Fire
1982 E.T. may be totally manipulative but it struck of nerve that year much like Saving Private Ryan did in '98. Ghandi was powerful but overlong.
1983 Right Stuff all the way
1985 Brazil or Witness or Color Purple
1986 Blue Velvet or Aliens
1987 I like Last Emperor far more than Fatal Attraction (screw Joe Ezterhaz) but Wings of Desire was beautiful if overlong.
1988 Dangerous Liasons
1989 Born of the Fourth of July (even though it's overwrought) Crimes and Misdemeanors, Do the Right Thing (though overlong), Drugstore Cowboy, Enemies a Love Story, Glory, Heathers, Henry V, My Left Foot, sex, lies, and videotape, all far superior to Driving Miss Daisy. I'd even put The Fabulous Baker Boys, Field of Dreams, the Abyss, When Harry Met Sally, and The Little Mermaid higher.
1990 Goodfellas, The Grifters, Miller's Crossing, Reversal of Fortune but I love Dances With Wolves
1992 Unforgiven was great but so was the Player and Reservoir Dogs. Flirting is really worth watching too. Best actor Denzel Washington for Malcolm X or Harvey Keitel for Bad Lieutenant.
1994 Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, The Shawshank Redemption, Ed Wood, Clerks, Leon: The Professional all better than Forrest Gump.
1995 The Usual Suspects, Babe, Apollo 13, Toy Story, Dead Man Walking, Leaving Las Vegas, all better than Braveheart
1996 Fargo, Trainspotting, Sling Blade, People vs. Larry Flint
1997 L.A. Confidential, Boogie Nights, The Ice Storm, The Sweet Hereafter, Chasing Amy, Grosse Point Blank
1998 Saving Private Ryan but I love Shakespeare in Love and the Truman Show
1999 Strong year love American Beauty but also love Being John Malkovich, Fight Club, The Matrix, Princess Mononoke, Three Kings, Topsy-Turvy (though overlong) and Toy Story II.
2000 Traffic, Crouching Tiger, Quills, Almost Famous, Wonder Boys, Titus. 13 Days if you have the patience for it.
2001 Fellowship of the Ring or Momento. Also love Moulin Rouge in spite of myself, Ghost World and Hedwig and the Angry Inch
2002 Hard year to pick. Maybe Adaptation, Two Towers, or Frida. But Gangs of New York has a lot of strong scenes and Chicago was very smooth and fun as was Catch Me If You Can.
2003 Return of the King, Master and Commander, American Splendour, In America, Seabiscuit
2004 The Aviator, Eternal Sunshine, Kinsey, Sideways, The Incredibles
2005 agree with Brokeback, Serenity, and Good Night and Good Luck. Still haven't seen Crash or Syriana or The Squid and the Whale

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:20:07 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
C. J. Vasta: Alright then; I'm game:

1967: Haven't seen it. Might check it out.

1960: I never said anything about Pacific Heights. I said Psycho was better than The Apartment.

1958: Both Vertigo and Touch of Evil are highly intelligent thrillers directed by two of the greatest cinematic mind in Hollywood history. Gigi, on the other hand, looks incredibly fake and is the most static musical I've ever seen. It's as dull and plastic as a puppet that doesn't move.

1955: I can definitely vouch for the former two, but Kiss Me Deadly is first rate. It requires frequent reviewings though.

1952: Singin' in the Rain is better than The Quiet Man.

1951: If you adore Gigi to death, then I can't see much reason why you'd not enjoy a movie that is devoid of any real plot or characters, and is 100% style without any existing substance to back itself up. Frankly, TDTESS is infinitely better and more relevant to day than American.

1934: In retrospect, It Happened One Night hasn't held up...at all. In fact, it actually inspired a crap load of other crappy Rom Coms with the same recylced plots, character growths, misunderstandings, etc, only with progressively cynical results. The Thin Man series is cheesy, but the original is still first rate.

Bruce Willis at least should have been nominated. For this and for Unbreakable, and Die Hard. And considering the winner--Gene Hackman in Unforgiven--it's quite a challenge to even consider saying that he should have won.

And no, I am not counting Direct-to-Video fare.

2001: I never particularly cared for Jimmy Neutron. And Shrek was the only good film nominated that year (although Monster Inc. is decent enough).

2005: First of all, Hoodwinked was 2006, not 2005. Second, I never really cared for Hoodwinked. And Third, Corpse Bride is still better.

2007: What are you referring to with that comment? The fact that Surfs Up and Persepolis were nominated instead, or the fact that Ratatouille won? Either way, the prejudices are that Oscar seems to almost always want to nominated at least 1 foreign film for the category once a year. Exceptions to the rule are 2001, 2004, 2006, and 2008 (though in the cases of the 2001 and 2006, one could argue that Jimmy Neutron and Happy Feet would count as they were each made outside of the United States).

2010: Once again, I have no idea what you're getting at here; the question seems completely random. I know nothing about The Brave Little Toaster other than the fact that it sounds incredibly stupid.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:27:02 PM PDT
I may just end up pulling the usual Citizen Kane and Brokeback Mountain were snubbed.

Dr. Strangelove vs. My Fair Lady. That's honestly one of the hardest decisions ever. Depends on what mood I'm in. Most of the time though I'd pick the Kubrick film.

But 1991 is probably at the top of my biggest Oscar disappointments. Honestly, I don't think The Silence of the Lambs should have won Best Picture. It is a great film, but JFK was a better film in terms of editing, writing, and directing. But as a shocker to some (but not all on this forum), I still stand by Beauty and the Beast being the best film of 1991. The Academy should have given the animated film the award to compensate for not nominating Fantasia 51 years earlier.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:46:32 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Danny:

1961: Hustler's good, but Judgment at Nurenburg is better. If you've got the time, may I also suggest checking out Last Year at Marienbad.

1962: Manchurian and Lawrence definitely make the two best films of the year. Can't say the same thing for Mockingbird though.

1966: I prefer The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; though Chimes at Midnight is also solid.

1967: Cool Hand Luke over Bonnie and Clyde.

1976: Funny that I'm the opposite; I prefer Rocky and, specifically, Network, and while Taxi Driver is good, it's one of Scorsese's most overrated in my eyes.

1977: I'm currently juggling between Annie Hall and Star Wars for that year, though Close Encounters is also first rate.

1978: Agreed. Never cared for The Deer Hunter.

1980: I'm sure you have your reasons in disliking Ordinary People and Raging Bull, and to be fair, The Shining and Empire Strikes Back aren't at all bad alternatives.

1981: Raiders? Yes. Excalibur? Not so much. Chariots of Fire is still good though.

1982: Blade Runner, Fanny & Alexander, Sophie's Choice, and Secret of NIMH trumps both films.

1985: Love Brazil. Liked Witness. Never cared for Purple (it reminds me of Barney the Dinosaur...*shudders*). But Back to the Future blows them right out of the water.

1986: You forgot ...or Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

1987: Moonstruck is better than all of them, though I will admit that Wings of Desire is rather solid.

1988: Good choice, but Die Hard and Roger Rabbit are better.

1989: Hit-or-miss selection here. I may not like Driving Miss Daisy either, but I'd rather watch it again than Do the Right Thing, Born on the Fourth of July, My Left Foot, or worst of all, the 1980's equivalent of Twilight called The Little Mermaid.

1990: Aside from Miller's Crossing (which, to be frank, is one of the Coen Brothers weakest efforts), I agree with your selections.

1992: Agree with the films, but the actors? No! Out of all the nominated Actors, both Clint Eastwood and Robert Downey Jr. are far more deserving alternatives than either Denzel Washington or Harvey Keitel in their crappy movies.

1994: Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption and Ed Wood? Yes (I may also add The Lion King among those three). Quiz Show, Clerks or Leon? No. Though I'll admit Quiz Show is a good movie. But Pulp Fiction is easily the best film of the year.

1995: I'll select The Usual Suspects followed by Apollo 13 and Toy Story, and leave the rest alone.

1996: All these films are better than The English Patient, but to be fair, I never really cared for Trainspotting. Fargo though is definitely first rate.

1997: I'll take L.A. Confidential, Boogie Nights and The Sweet Hereafter. But The Ice Storm is a complete joke of the film that makes Titanic look magnificient by comparison.

1998: All 3 are great, but I prefer The Truman Show.

1999: I can only agree on Being John Malkovich and Toy Story 2. Fight Club is too repulsive; The Matrix too stupid; Princess Mononoke, well...refer to WAS for a proper explanation; Three Kings too heavy-handed, and I never cared for Topsy-Turvy.

2000: Never saw Quills or 13 Days, but I agree with the rest of your choices.

2001: Your two main picks, in addition to Mulholland Dr. and Gosford Park. End of story.

2002: Yep, definitely a contentious year, huh?

2003: Definitely solid taste here. May I also recommend Kill Bill?

2004: Again, may I recommend Kill Bill (and for that matter, Finding Neverland)?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 7:52:33 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Pastor: I may be fond of Beauty and the Beast, but I found Silence of the Lambs to be a superior film. And I may not agree with the Academy's decisions when it comes to their Oscar snubs (including, among others, Fantasia, The Dark Knight, Fearless, Groundhog Day, The Truman Show, and Memento to name a few), but that is a dangerous sentiment for the Academy to ever award Best Picture to a film just for compensation of a previous snub, regardless of whether or not they have been nominated.

And considering the choices the Academy had to make between the three films that year, at least be grateful they actually chose to recognize Beauty and the Beast that year for Best Picture in the first place, and Silence being the one that won. This is why I do not bear a grudge that Forrest Gump won over Pulp Fiction.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:57:15 PM PDT
Gordo: It may be just a matter of taste that I would go with Beauty and the Beast, though I did love The Silence of the Lambs. The reason is because the former pushed the boundaries of animation, and I felt that it deserved the award. I am very content with it being nominated though, and since I did like Silence, I should not be too bitter.

As for Forrest Gump, I actually really loved it as well even though it was not one of my top three picks (it was no. 4). I would have chosen Pulp Fiction as well, but my number three was The Lion King and you know how I feel about Hoop Dreams.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:21:59 PM PDT
@Gordo What do you mean refer to WAS? Is that a movie or person posting? I'll go along with Kill Bill. I need to watch pt again to see if it holds up, but one I really liked. I recommend Quills even though it's a very fictionalized portrait of events as is Amadeus. Still need to see Judgement at Nuremburg. Didn't care for finding that much for Finding Neverland though it has a great cast. I love Miller's Crossing and will defend it with my last breath. I will admit it's complex and the first time I watched it I had to pause it and write down which actor was which character. I think it's a neglected gem and Gabriel Byrne's best performance. I'm a bit of Coen brother's heretic. I don't like the Big Lebowski. (I hate movies with constant shouting in them. So I can't stand Glenngary Glenn Ross or Scarface.) Barton Fink was really pretentious. I think their weakest efforts have to be The Hudsucker Proxy, Intolerable Cruelty, and The Lady Killers. I enjoyed The Man Who Wasn't There but don't think I'd ever want to sit through it again. Heard a Serious Man is really baffling and difficult to get involved in. Also have to defend Fight Club as a Portlander. Many of the characters were based on people from Portland and Chuck Palanuick is one of our greatest writers! Is the Matrix any more or less stupid than Star Wars or Die Hard? All in the eye of the beholder, man.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:56:35 PM PDT
Looks like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly wasn't released in the U.S. till dec 29th 1967. So it would have been up for the best films of that year. Would it have been nominated as a foreign film? It was in English but a foreign director and production company. Lion King was one of the best of '94. Blade Runner I would pick as my favorite movie of that year along with The Wrath of Khan. Also really liked the Verdict. Sophie's Choice is one that was really intense and I don't ever want to watch again. I would actually rather watch Schindler's List again even though it's far more violent. The Road Warrior was released in '82 and that's a classic even though Gibson is dead to me. Eastwood, Downey Jr, and Washington were all nominated in '92 so adding Harvey Keitel would only replace Pacino or Stephen Rea. But I reject the arbitrary limiting of any category to 5 nominees so if that wasn't a factor they all could be nominated. The Crying Game was good but overrated but I really liked Rea's performance. One False Move was also really good.
1991 Silence of the Lambs and Beauty and the Beast are both great choices. JFK had great technique but it's self important and possibly dishonest or inaccurate. I also love the Fisher King, Hearts of Darkness: A Filmaker's Apocalypse, Thelma & Louise and T2. Sometimes all the best movies have major flaws and it's a mixed bag trying to choose which one transcends it's flaws.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 12:19:52 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
1960: My response was a joke on your Phrasing: (Psycho over the Apartment) which could refer to any number of films.

2007: I was referring to the fact that I never heard of Peserpolis or Surf's Up? While the Simpson Movie received a lot of publicity and good reviews. So, of course did Ratatouille which should have been the favorite in the category, but it's odd that it was deprived of major competition.

2010: The Brave Little Toaster is an 80's animated film about a College kid's possesions that get left behind and they try to travel on the road to find him. They are not toys. They're a toaster, a desk lamp, and something else I've forgotten.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 12:25:29 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Foreign films are always foreign language films. There's no embargo on foreign films in other categories. And the foreign film for each country is usually picked by that countries equivalent of the academy. For example Il Postino was overlooked by the Italians becase it had a British Director. It managed to get a Best Picture nomination instead. Meanwhile another film called I believe the Star-Maker got nominated in it's place in the Foreign Film Category.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:41:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 1:48:57 AM PDT
I forgot Heavenly Creatures for '94. I would argue that's actually more consistently good than Pulp Fiction. It's hard for me to watch PF without fast forwarding through the part with Tarantino "acting" and when Bruce Willis's wife is talking about pot bellies.
1993 As much as I enjoyed Groundhog's Day I can't say it was better than Schindler's List. If it was the Golden Globes where you have separate categories for best drama and comedy I would have best drama: Schindler's List, then In the Name of the Father, then Menace II Society, then Fearless, What's Eating Gilbert Grape (or is that more of a comedy?) best comedy: Groundhog Day (can't think of a another good comedy from this year, maybe Dave) best thriller: In the Line of Fire and True Romance. (The Fugitive is good but overrated) Didn't like Shortcuts and don't know what category it would fall under.
Should Magnolia be on the best of '99 list? I didn't like it that much but enjoyed the parts with Tom Cruise, Philip Seymour Hoffman and the late great Jason Robards.
For '67 I agree with Cool Hand Luke. I liked it much more than Bonnie & Clyde or the Graduate but does it beat the Good, Bad and Ugly? Oh no it seems Chimes at Midnight wasn't released in the U.S. until '67 also. Three way tie!
If we include Ferris Bueller's Day Off for '86 I would have to include The Breakfast Club for '85
1970 Mash, Patton, Five Easy Pieces, Little Big Man or Woodstock? 1971 Didn't like the French Connection that much. Dirty Harry was much better. A Clockwork Orange had brilliant sequences but gets really boring especial towards the end. McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Last Picture Show were great depressing movies a little slow but that kind of adds to they're power. Haven't seen Sunday Bloody Sunday, Klute or Straw Dogs. Fidler on the Roof haven't seen all of it but I don't see it as a contender. Nicholas & Alexandra... no, but Tom Baker was an awesome choice for Rasputin!
'72 I'm great with Godfather wining. Then Deliverance, The Candidate, Cabaret, Jeremiah Johnson. Haven't seen the Emmigrants, Sounder, Discreet Charm, or Murmur of the Heart.
'73 I'd go with Serpico or Mean Streets. Haven't seen most of them. Not a fan of Excorcist or American Graffitti
'74 Tough call between Godfather II and Chinatown. Fine with either wining. The Conversation was pretty good. Only seen it once. Liked Lenny but I've read there was a lot more to his life and career so it might have worked better as a mini-series. Towering Inferno? WTF???
'75 probably four way tie between Jaws, Cuckoo's Nest, Dog Day Afternoon, and the Man Who Would be King. But any other year I would also want Three Day's Of the Condor to be up for best picture. Haven't seen Nashville, pretty sure I wouldn't like it. Barry Lyndon...not as boring as Lolita or Eyes Wide Shut but still not entertaining.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:47:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 2:13:14 AM PDT
1969: Great year for westerns. The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid, True Grit. If you hadn't seen it you might think Midnight Cowboy was a western.
'68: 2001 broke a lot of new ground for sci-fi and f/x. But Yellow Submarine is really my favorite film of that year. Haven't seen Oliver!, Rachel Rachel, or that version of Romeo and Juliet. Lion in Winter was good but kind of exhausting. Have to see The Heart is a Lonely Hunter since I just picked up the book.
'66 Haven't seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Alfie, The Sand Pebbles, The Russians Are Coming or Khartoom. Really liked A Man For All Seasons.
'65 Seen Sound of Music, Dr. Zhivago, Othello, and the Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Need to see The Collector since I read the book last year. Flight of the Phoenix was pretty good.
'64 Seven Days in May should have been up for best picture. But Dr. Strangelove should have won. My Fair Lady some goods songs but kind of drags. Beckett was pretty good as a drama but inaccurate as history. Samuel Beckett was a Norman not a Saxon collaborator. Best Man was pretty good but I'm a Gore Vidal fan. Haven't seen Mary Poppins or Night of the Iguana.
'63 I remember there was a book called Alternate Oscars or something like that. The author suggested that 1963 should have been n/a. He or she thought none of the movies that year were very good. (But Strangelove was almost released that year. It was delayed because of the Kennedy Assassination. They had to change a line of dialogue and Kubrick decided to cut out the pie fight at the end partly becuase he didn't think it worked and partly because of lingering feelings of JFK's death making it too soon). Haven't seen any of the films. Just part of Hud. I love Paul Newman but it's hard to watch him be a heartless jerk. Some people really like the Birds. I couldn't stand it. 55 Days at Peking is supposed to be one of Heston's best performances. The Leopard is very pretty but slow. Haven't seen the whole thing. The American version was much shorter and badly dubbed.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:39:03 AM PDT
1958 couldn't finish Gigi. so Touch of Evil (other the re-edited version released in '98 is closer to Welle's vision, then Vertigo, then Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, then South Pacific.
'59 North By Northwest, The 400 Blows, Wild Strawberries, Some Like it Hot all better than Ben-Hur. Haven't seen Anatomy of a Murder or Diary of Anne Frank.
'57 Bridge on the River Kwai and 12 Angry Men. Haven't seen Witness For the Prosecution.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  May 12, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions