Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What movie have you given it a rest after watching it so many times ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2012 11:32:16 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Some movies you were blown away and watched it over and over but then it became dated, or left a bad taste in your mouth and you became sick of it and now avoid watching it whenever you run across it.

Some of mine:

1. Jurassic Park.
2. Independence Day.
3. Earthquake.
4. Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.
5. ET.
6. Jaws.
7. Grease.
8. Saturday Night Fever.
9. War Games.
10. Flashdance.
Your reply to Green Meanie's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:50:42 AM PDT
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind and ET. And I own ET.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 4:13:46 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I've kinda burnt out on every movie I own. I didn't have cable for a while and so just watched movies all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:29:48 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
ET is torture to watch now.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 4:56:15 PM PDT
'E. T.' was ALWAYS torture for me. Since I was 4 years old I couldn't stand that movie. Parents and extended family kept taking me to that for a couple years, because it was the 'thing to do' for youngsters. I wish I knew to speak up at the time.

What movie(s) have I burnt out on, that I once liked?
I think I bent my wookie on 'Star Wars'... I've seen it all of three times now (THREE TIMES!! <:sigh:>,) but with all the flap and hype through the years, I feel like I've seen it around 300 times. Once more could be the breaking point; I might lose interest in the whole space opera genre. And I love 'Flash Gordon', I wouldn't want to let him down.

Only other thing I can think of now is the TV series The Larry Sanders Show. It was so fresh, innovative, and hilarious when it arrived, and so funny for years to come. Then 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and 'The Office' (UK) and others came along, biting the style and taking it even further into hilarity.
I still like TLSS, but watching it today is underwhelming somehow; I've overdone it. The freshness date is slightly expired.

One last one. When I was a kid, I had a few "sick day" movies I always put on: 'Ghostbusters', 'Die Hard', and 'Empire of the Sun'.
Today, I don't watch any of them much, and I have little to no interest in ever looking at 'Die Hard' again. I've found so many better action movies. I've moved on.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:57:54 PM PDT
Oh, and I never tire of 'War Games'. Maybe one day. I've watched it an average of twice a year since I was knee-high. It's beyond criticism, practically!

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:46:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 6:05:17 PM PDT
I'm of a similar mind to Lucy. I scroll through my DVD collection and have seen all of them numerous times, so end up going to the vid store and hiring movies I haven't seen yet. It comes in bursts though. I'll want fresh viewing for a few months, then I'll want a dose of the ol' faithfuls for a month or two. Right now I'm catching up on the vid store new releases (down here - we're a little behind the USofA). So 'The Grey', and 'Mission Impossible' etc. The switch back to ol' faithfuls is on the cards though ('Mission Impossible' was a little underwhelming).

So, to answer the Green Meanie (he ain't so mean), I am giving my entire collection a rest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:14:06 PM PDT
Titanic
The Fifth Element
Gremlins
Star Wars trilogy from 1977
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Goonies

Might I add ...
Movies I saw once, but never wish to experience again because it would drive me bonkers:
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Grease

And I saw "E.T." once (it's still amazing that one of the kids in it calls another kid 'penis breath', lol).
It seemed such thick, manipulative goop. I much prefer "Alien", lol.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:49:42 PM PDT
Flash Gordon
Conan The Destroyer
Fletch Lives
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:13:01 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I used to watch the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Movies all the time but I gag if I see them now.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 9:30:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 9:30:54 AM PDT
I wish my (almost) 3 year old son would let me stop watching "Cars" with him and find a new pixar movie to latch onto. Any would be fine, we've got "Toy Story," "UP," a bunch of "Veggie Tales"......ANYTHING! but, no.....only "Cars"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 11:58:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:04:45 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:23:05 PM PDT
re: something besides "Cars"

A good alternative to that, if your (nearly 3 year old) boy can be swayed from "Cars", is the delightful "Finding Nemo". What a great Pixar flick. Now, it has a scary sequence in the beginning when the big piranha does something awful... so that might be distressing to a little tike... but other than that it's charming and a real pleasure.

And the big spooky shark is always a hit with little kiddies, for some reason. But I love Dorie (voiced by Ellen DeGeneres, so darn funny in this).

Eventually you also might want to rent "How to Train Your Dragon", a CGI cartoon from Dreamworks Studios. Very nice fantasy movie. And refreshingly: not a lot of modern slang, catch phrases, double entendres, pop culture references, etc. (Some of these CGI toons are so rife with that stuff that it gets lame, and dates them.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:28:26 PM PDT
Hi, ILHJ,

I have some of those classic Disney animated movies... Watch 'em once a year. They're so good. "Sleeping Beauty" has that great dragon battle at the climax. Oh, and those three cute fairy godmothers trying to manage without their wands, haha. Gorgeous backgrounds and music, too. "Beauty and the Beast" is also a winner.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:33:39 PM PDT
omgosh! I forgot we even HAD "nemo." Yeah we might have to have a (surprise) movie night ;) . Thanks for the reminder! and I guess that movie would count in this thread regarding movies that have been shelved. Forgot all about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:35:38 PM PDT
Glad I reminded you!

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 2:29:49 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Another that I've given it a rest is The Matrix Trilogy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions