Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Spoiled movie, too much word-of-mouth going in, or expected more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 7:11:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2012 7:12:32 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
Sorry for the long thread title, but is there a movie or movies that were kind of spoiled for you going in? And it doesn't have to be the traditional "spoiler", but it could be that people spoke so highly of the movie, that once you saw it, you didn't see the big deal. 2 big recent examples I can think for me are

(1) The Dark Knight-so much hype and talk about this one, but I find this to be one-dimensional and very convoluted

(2) Inglourious Basterds-was sure this was to be Tarantino's return to form after all the buzz, but a very erratic film
Your reply to BackToGood's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 7:15:21 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
nope.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 9:56:40 PM PDT
D. Robinson says:
Inglorious Basterds was not the film I expected based on the marketing, but I thought it was great nonetheless.

I think I must be the only person in the world who thinks Heath Ledger's Joker in the Dark Knight was campy and irritating, and didnt fit well into Nolan's Batman universe.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:35:02 PM PDT
stevign says:
I stay away from long trailers, spoilers on Amazon and friends who wish to tell me about films I want to see. If a trailer comes on tv during commercial break, I press [Mute] and leave the room or look away. These things don't filter out everything I might see, hear or read but it shields me from 90% of it. Ignorance is bliss. ;~}

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 12:18:21 AM PDT
J. Paul says:
I go in with the information that I have heard & if I'm suprised that's a good thing. Like The Lincoln Lawyer I heard a lot of great things about it & I enjoyed it. Same with The Adjustment Bureau which I want to get. The Dark Knight I heard about all the hype I'm glad I waited till The DVD came out so I could enjoy it on my own time & it is a great movie but not the best ever made. Movies that I heard stuff going in was Predators & I hated it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 7:03:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 7:06:40 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
I don't know about campy but I wasn't a huge fan of the Heath Ledger Joker. He's supposed to have a sense of humor & I suppose he did ... a morbid one. Edit: Annoying yes - that licking his lips thing got old fast.

I felt like they were trying to cross the comic book genre with the horror genre & that's not what I wanted from Batman vs. Joker. The scene in Batman Begins where the Scarecrow gas had it looking like Night of the Living Dead did however work for me.

I'm one of the few who likes Batman Begins better than the Dark Knight.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 5:07:27 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
I think this must be one of the few places where there is a fair amount of people that don't like The Dark Knight! I was expecting to get hammered for my dislike of that movie. And, count me in on the those that much prefer Batman Begins to TDK. I could actually re-watch BB regularly and be entertained. It just seems like a more cohesive, complete, and satisfying film than TDK.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 5:10:51 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
When I saw the trailer for IB, I was really sucked into thinking that was going to be an amazing film and also thought this was going to be Brad Pitt's REAL breakthrough role. I know Pitt's career didn't really need reviving, but I just never liked much of his work and expected this to be the role that justified his star status, but then he was barely even in the movie!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 5:32:56 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Actually Inglorious Basterds turned out to be 10 times the film I was expecting. When I saw the trailer for IB I was sucked into thinking that it was going to be a craptacular exercise in Tarantino narcissism. I avoided it like plague, as I have done with Quentin in general.

Then I saw an interview with the humble, charming fabulous polyglotal Christoph Waltz and knew I HAD to see his Oscar-winning perfomance. He so totally made it worth it. Yeah, parts of it reek with Tarentino narcissism. Brad Pitt's performance is ridiculous. But it is saved by the talents of Herr Waltz and Mme. Melanie Laurent. If the movie only consisted of two scenes--the opening, chilling one at the farmhouse and the equally chilling one in the basement club, I would still call this a stellar effort.

One of the very (very) few times I've had my expectations of a movie pleasantly foiled.

For the record, Mr. Waltz is probably the best thing about the Polanski exercise, "Carnage". I love that man. Incidentally, he and I share a birthday.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 5:37:06 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Add one more voice to the little choir here, in agreement that 'Batman Begins' is superior to 'The Dark Knight'.
In fact I'd go further and say 'Batman Begins' is the only movie by C. Nolan other than 'Memento' that I wanted to re-watch.
The first Tim Burton 'Batman' contains the best moments for me, yet 'Batman Begins' overall slightly edges that one out of the top spot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 5:43:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 5:46:09 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
The 'Basterds' trailer fooled me in the reverse way that the 'Kill Bill' trailers did. I thought the 'Kill Bil' trailers were well thought out and intriguing, and the film itself was almost unwatchable.

'I.B.' was just the opposite. I almost didn't watch it at the theater because the trailer was so unappealing. A good movie... parts, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 6:23:11 PM PDT
stevign says:
Pitt is good in "Moneyball". The movie is excellent by the way.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 5:45:46 AM PDT
Mickey Ryan says:
Agreed about Inglorious Basterds, I saw it in theaters and wasn't impressed which kinda saddened me being that I'm a huge Tarantino fan. I liked Death Proof better. I want him to go back to his 'Jackie Brown'-style of filmmaking. As for the Dark Knights, I still prefer Tim Burton's vision of Batman better than the new ones. I find myself rooting for the bad guys in the new ones because Bale is just NOT Bruce Wayne/Batman material to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:27:36 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
Oh, Waltz was awesome in IB! But his performance is the only thing I liked about film, much like Heath Ledger's is the only thing I liked about TDK.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:00:05 PM PDT
Heath Ledger's joker was fine...it's the other 2 hours of rehash that was the problem. Batman Begins had too much prison and Himalayan stuff and not nearly enough Gotham City.

Inglorious Bastards started out well, but Brad Pitt's totally unconvincing accent docks one star and the overuse of David Bowie's song docks another.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions