Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am OUTRAGED! Burton's "Dark Shadows" is a comedy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 996 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 10:47:47 AM PDT
MISSYGIRL says:
Its your loss! P.S. I dont drink anything but water, diet sprite or juice.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 1:04:01 PM PDT
Walt says:
I just saw "The Woman in Black" and that is what I consider an example of a true gothic horror film. There really should be a second version of Dark Shadows which is more serious in tone, similar to what has happened to the two Snow White movies that are due out this year, with the Julia Roberts version more comedic and the Charlize Theron version more serious. I personally can't wait for the Charlize Theron version, while passing on Julia Roberts.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 1:11:21 PM PDT
L. Housley says:
I feel the same way about the snow white movies, I'm not interested in the julia roberts one. I think it's geared towards kids and the kristen stewart one is geared towards teens/adults. I think I'd probably choose ABC's Once Upon a Time over both of them though, that show is awesome. Pilot [HD]

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:09:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 7:19:10 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
One reason that fans of Dark Shadows may be upset is that Burton's movie would prevent other attempts to revive Dark Shadows that would be more faithful to the source material. It should be noted that Burton's Batman led to Batman: The Animated Series which many feel is the best representation of Batman.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:44:34 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
C. J. Vasta

The concern you mention is right on target. One could be forgiven for thinking that with all the heightened interest in tormented vampires right now, this would be a good time for a really serious film treatment of Barnabas Collins and his family. It seems like it almost doesn't matter if Burton's DS fails or hits big - either way it would pretty much preclude a contemporary serious adaptation of the show. But, then, what do I know?

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:47:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 2:48:08 PM PDT
I had to point out this funny misunderstanding. . . .

>William Smith: "Drink the Kool-aid if you like, but don't except most of us to follow suit."<

>>TERRI J ROMERO: "Its your loss! P.S. I dont drink anything but water, diet sprite or juice."<

Well! That explains it, then; it's a well know factoid that Diet Sprite contains evaporated paint chips.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 5:30:45 PM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Ms. Romero,

Why do you insist on capitalizing Dark Shadows? Why do you assign it such significance? It was what it was. An afternoon soap opera with the unique twist of appealing to schoolkids with the addition of ghosts, witches, vampires and werewolves. Though it was played straight, the acting, writing and execution were just this side of horrible. All you have to do is watch the episides on Netflix. I loved them when I was nine years old but seeing them now? They just weren't that good though they did have some scary moments. But, Tim Burton isn't rewriting the Bible here. He's just playing around with an old TV show. His version may be good or it may not. But people throwing words like "heresy" and "raping my childhood" are just silly. Way more important stuff to lose sleep over than a remake of a cheesy afternoon soap.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 5:42:28 PM PDT
G. Himes says:
sundancekeed -- Why are you trolling like an eleven year old kid?
If you don't understand the simple human facts, you can always go to a thread in which you understand the subjects brought up... or you could contribute information in a constructive way...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 5:54:26 PM PDT
MISSYGIRL says:
AMEN! It is wonderful that the show has survived all thease years for us avid, loyal fans to enjoy! If only someone would be interested enough in it to make a desent movie out of it! The show ,I think, Is absoulutly Oscar worthy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 6:00:10 PM PDT
MISSYGIRL says:
Your absolutly right, that others may try to make a silly comedy out of Dark Shadows too. I can only hope that someone with talent and intelligence will be interested in the show enough to give it a try, and also remain really true to the original soap opera story line.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 6:03:17 PM PDT
Personally, being that the series was done in the 60's, Burton had an opportunity here to really grasp the horror aspect of the story line and move it into the 21st century. By making it a comedy, he's destroyed any hope of that happening. Dark Shadows was my first ever introduction to vampires, so this version leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and it's not blood. Sorry, but I'm going to skip it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 6:03:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 31, 2012 7:53:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 6:27:15 PM PDT
Just don't watch it. I'm not going to. It's not worth getting bent out of shape over. Stick with the original, ignore this sort of remake. My mother and her mother both watched the original, and they are the ones who introduced me to it. Normally, I despise soaps, but Dark Shadows was just quirky enough for me. Remakes usually don't come close to the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 6:27:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 31, 2012 6:07:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 7:15:52 PM PDT
Terri: Re: Kool-aid: you are immune to metaphor as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 7:19:42 PM PDT
Walt: I very much doubt if there is an audience for two DS films. Has it not occurred to the enthusiastic group that there might have been some research about the potential audience for the film? I don't know what the current polling is, but the last time I looked, the trailer reaction was 50% positive, 50% negative. Considering the reflexive reactions of the enthusiasts, I would be very positive about the film's chances based on those numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 7:21:47 PM PDT
sundance: You have hit the nail on the head. Dare I say that "raping my childhood" is--to put it very charitably--an hysterical overreaction?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 7:23:49 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
It's not really metaphor but a historical allusion. The Jonestown massacre was over 30 years ago. And even many people you use the phrase know what it means exactly. I imagine you asked them you'd get some guess that it stands for kindergarten coformity or being influenced by Madison Avenue.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 7:31:34 PM PDT
CJV:

"It's not really metaphor but a historical allusion."

It's an historical allusion that has become a metaphor. The phrase "raping my childhood" would be a good example of a pure metaphor, unless one really were raped in childhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 7:31:42 PM PDT
Quite correct to say that it's originally a historical allusion--but it has definitely passed into metaphoric use. Hence my comment.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 7:38:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 7:45:47 PM PDT
Anyhow, I find the "drink the Kool-Aid" analogy is as annoyingly overused, and misused, as the "there is no there there" phrase (distant, faint echo of what Stein intended, usually,) and "the Emperor Wears No Clothes" (I'm particularly tired of hearing this one ignorantly rephrased time and again.)
Repetition tends to dull the affect of such phrases, and to drain them of their intended meaning.

Anyone familiar with the phrase "the Emperor Wears No Clothes" or "the Emperor Stands Naked" can use it to facilely stand as superior to those who were presumably "fooled" by a work of art (or whatever) that the speaker doesn't relate to in any way, and is confounded by. And "there is no there there" is often used interchangeably, and as poorly.
They aren't used as lead-offs to making a point, they are often now used as if that was making a point in itself.

** Edited to clarify, slightly. . .one hopes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 8:15:02 PM PDT
MISSYGIRL says:
BROVO, White Ravyn! Their are many people out their that feel the same way that you and I do!

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 8:35:42 PM PDT
douglasG says:
For every die hard fan there are probably 1,000 Tim Burton fans who never even knew it was a series. I saw the trailer and thought it looked like fun.
Charley and the Chocolate Factory was annoying and was crap compared to the original (IMHO). But to be honest it gave me more appreciation for the original. I think die hards are really upset because Dark Shadows is not what 'they' want it to be. It is Tim Burton and I expect it to have his flair to it not mine and or anyone else's. It is wishful dreaming to think it would be done any other way than the Burton way.
This is just my two cents, I am not trying to spoil anyones outraged whine fest...

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 9:24:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 9:26:13 PM PDT
douglasG,

All reasonable points, and especially interesting was the one about a redo possibly giving "more appreciation for the original". . . a point I hadn't thought of in relation to this before.
I've thought that way many times about music, though.

We are still (I guess) fiercely at odds about the idea of altering a past work without the creator's permission, but for a legitimate remake which is entirely another artist's version, the only way it could harm the original is if -- in this case -- Burton featured footage of the original in 3-D or some such rubbish!

One thing I love about the Coen's version of 'True Grit' is the extra dimension of appreciation it gave me in the first version. They are both flawed versions of a great novel, in my opinion, and flawed in their own unique ways. And they complement each other.
It's strange the impulse some have to crush the other work, when they think one version is fundamentally better.
Sometimes it's when a newer performer "covers" an old song, or sometimes it can be when the same artist redo's their own. Same with movies and their makers. People usually knee-jerk prefer the old, although it can go either way.

Even bad redos (like 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory') can help illuminate what's good about the first version. That's true.

And the point has been made already on this thread (was it C. J. Vasta's?) that this could only be a good thing for the original series, and the early fans ought to be thanking Burton for bringing it more attention, and drawing it back into the spotlight, for further DVD releases and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 9:33:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 9:34:05 PM PDT
douglasG says:
I never saw the original and just borrowed disc one of the first season. It is this thread and its 'outrage' that lured me to the original series. I will soon watch the original thanks to Burton.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  996
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions