Scenes from a Marriage
Passion of Anna
Face to Face
Autumn Sonata
Sawdust and Tinsel

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 3:50:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 3:51:11 PM PDT
El Emmarino says:
I can't think of a good top ten, but I'm bored...

The Ten DVDs located closest to my DVD player:

1. I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell
2. Dead Like Me: Season 2
3. Mystery Science Theater 3k: Volume XIV
4. Dexter: Season 5
5. Survivorman: Season 1
6. Bourne Identity
7. Back To The Future
8. PCU
9. A-Team: Season 2
10. Emma (The Kate Beckinsale version)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:42:30 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Top Ten Feature-length Movies I downloaded from Vimeo or Youtube before I had to revert back to dial-up connection:

1. Night Of The Living Dead (1968, in high definition)
2. The Man with a Camera
3. Sting of Death
4. Dillinger
5. Dreams That Money Can Buy (1947 Experimental Film)
6. Tim
7. She Freak
8. Tracks
9. The Gruesome Twosome
10. Two Thousand Maniacs

1. Listen to Britain (1942, Humphrey Jennings)
2. La glace à trois faces (1927, Jean Epstein)
3. Maya Deren - At Land (1944)
4. Ménilmontant (1926, Dimitri Kirsanoff)
5. Le Tempestaire (1947, Jean Epstein)
6. Vibration by Jane Arden and Jack Bond (1975)
7. Lot in Sodom (1933, James Sibley Watson)
8. The Flat by Jan Švankmajer
9. insomnie (pierre étaix, 1966)
10. 'I'm A Fool' General Electric True Theater. James Dean, Natalie Wood, Eddie Albert

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 5:46:16 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Gordo - "Your constant ranting and ravings. -- Seriously..... your comments almost always ridiculously long-winded........ You have absolutely no self control, and because you do not possess the intelligence to back up the majority of your own luney statements, your comments all too frequently come off as long-winded and nonsensical. You expect us to swallow every single word you say...... If it ain't painstakingly obvious that you wish to be the center of attention in every thread that you visit, I don't know what is. A tip for all the posters on here both new and old: DO NOT respond to him......clearly a sad, lonely, miserable man who is cynical to the very core. So much so perhaps that he probably has few to no friends in the real world at all. Nobody of his character is EVER going to make for pleasant company.......fabricates a backstory.......Then, he draws all that attention upon himself and expects us to swallow every word he says without question.......My recomendation to all you newcomers is to stay as far away from him as possible. Discuss on whatever threads you want, but do not respond to a single comment he leaves...."

Gordo talking about himself again!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:52:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 5:54:01 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
The Ten Last Movies I Watched.

Performance - 1st time
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - 1st time
Midnight in the garden of Good and Evil - 3rd time
Miller's Crossing - 3rd time
Harvey - 2nd time
Kiss Me Deadly - 2nd time
Crime Busters - 1st time
The Birdman of Alcatraz - 1st time
How to Murder Your Wife - 1st time
It's A Wonderful Life - 1st time

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:11:34 PM PDT
sloany:

Interesting list. How did you happen to choose them? Was it random? You did make me want to see Kiss Me Deadly and Performance again just by looking at you name them and thinking about the films.

I think Birdman of Alcatraz remains a very underrated performance by Lancaster. Telly Savalas and Neville Brand were never better.

Sadly, I don't know what Crime Busters is.

It would be interesting if others would list the last ten movies they actually watched.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:47:18 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
TAS:re How did you choose them.

'Performance', 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' I chose to watch as 2 films from the "Greatest Cult-Film Game'' that I hadn't seen yet (and "Performance' is in the lead of said game). 'Performance' I enjoyed..well, in parts...it WAS fascinating, imo, and 'Beyond...' was a "ya get what it says on the cover" type film...boobs, tunes, shoddy acting....but that editing was driving me nuts. I thanked gawd I wasn't an epileptic!

'Harvey', I chose because of the talk about it on the "Characters who talk to themselves" thread. It had been a long time since I had seen it, and it was vague in my mind. I can see both sides of the "he was real/he wasn't real" argument, as there are some very tangible "real" moments, like the hat with two holes being left behind, the sister saying that sometimes she sees it, the doctor seeing Harvey, etc, but the other side of the coin is the fact that ALL these characters are themselves unstable.

'Birdman...' I chose as I am trying to work my way through all of Lancasters work. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Lancaster is superb. I'm beginning to see what all the fuss is with Burt. Super-talent.

'Crime Busters' is a Terrence Hill/Bud Spencer flic. I saw it on the shelf, and thought "Why not?". Harmless d-grade fun.

'Kiss Me Deadly' I chose because I hadn't seen it for a while, AND because when channel surfing the other night I came upon 'Pulp Fiction', right at the scene where Travolta opens up the suitcase (and the glow emanates), and this made me think of 'Kiss Me Deadly'. Great film.

'How to Murder Your Wife' I chose as I've been trying to see more Quine pics....and I love Lemmon vewy, vewy much. I enjoyed it...the odd film that it is.

'Midnight....' because I have had a hankering to see it....and I enjoyed watching it again SO MUCH. Also was intrigued by Bakers comment, or question, of whether Spacey is the villain or the victim. Eastwood leaves this door slightly ajar.

'Miller's Crossing', as I hadn't seen it for some time, and it was my Coen fix for the week. Again, enjoyed it immensely.

And 'It's a Wonderful Life' I chose as it is spoken about ad nauseum and decided it was about time I saw what all the fuss was about...what is all the fuss about? A nice little tale that suits some, and not others....I get why some would love it, but failed to see the clear reasoning behind the hate.

And that, is the nutshell.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:51:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 7:55:12 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Thom Stith: "It would be interesting if others would list the last ten movies they actually watched."

As requested. . .
(going in backward order, meaning the last one I saw will be listed first:)

1. 'Paperhouse' (1988) - with last night's viewing, this is the 4th time I've seen it now.
2. 'Vigilante' (1983) - first time viewing, last Sunday!
3. 'S1m0ne' (best Pacino performance in a comedy.)
4. 'Black Moon' (1975) - one of those "-what did I just watch...?!" experiences.
5. 'Buster and Billie' (strange, rare movie from the director of 'Resurrection'.)
6. 'Lady Windermere's Fan' (1925, Lubitsch)
7. 'The Kid with a Bike' (the last thing I've seen in theaters this year. . . .)
8. 'The Promotion' (finest supermarket comedy of all time.)
9. 'The Warriors' (original 1979 theatrical cut.)
10. either 'Lords Of Flatbush' or 'Noon Wine' (the "lost" Peckinpah TV movie I found a copy of. . .)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 8:00:18 AM PDT
Rock N Rolla: "Don't forget Leonardo Di Caprio!"

Ah, that was deliberate...I would take Charo over him any day. ;-)

Nice call on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and thanks for reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:03:20 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Yes, definitely can't forget Charo! She's so cute. "Coochie, Coochie!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:47:03 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Hi Rock and all,

As crazy as Charo acts, she is VERY skilled on the guitar. I have this flamenco style CD and it is excellent: Guitar Passion

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:19:34 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Hey there Bella! what's been going on? Hope all is well with you. Things are going good on my end. Have you been keeping up with American Ninja Warrior? I just watched the Northeast Regional Finals last night. It was amazing some of the things those guys can do. I can't wait to see the next episode. Have you seen any new movies?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:52:54 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Hi Rock,

I've been well. And you?

Yes, I have been watching ANW. I love that show. Will you be competing anytime soon? : ) It blows me away how strong some of those guys are...and some of them look a little scrawny on the surface.

I've not seen any new movies lately, but want to see Prometheus and MIB 3. Have you seen any good ones lately?

I did watch a funny docu about air guitar competitions called: Air Guitar Nation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:05:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 12:05:50 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Moi compete on ANW? No way! I'd probably end up dropping in the water on my first attempt. I would really like to try the course out someday though, just to see how I could handle it; just not when anybody is watching me. How about you?

I want to go see Prometheus but I probably won't be able to get away to see it this weekend. Maybe next weekend. I did see MIB III last weekend and it was really good. If you enjoyed the first two MIBs than you will like this one. I also went to see Mirror Mirror starring Julia Roberts last weekend at a local dollar theater and it was okay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:16:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 12:16:56 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Rock,

I wouldn't last 2 seconds on the ANW course!!! It would be cool to see in person, though. My legs are pretty strong, but so much upper body strength is needed on that course.

My boyfriend wants to see Snow White and the Huntsmen, he thinks that will be better than Mirror Mirror (that we have not seen).

I'm super excited to go to a small Star Trek Fest later this month in Riverside, IA (future birthplace of James T. Kirk). It may be lame, but I'm still excited to go. I hope to meet some of the people that were in Shatner's reality show Invasion Iowa. Also, the band "Five Year Mission Band" sounds good. They've written a song for every original Star Trek episode.

http://www.trekfest.com/events.php

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:31:13 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Have fun at the convention, it sounds like it will be a good time. Let us all know how it was. I see they have some Five Year Mission Band videos listed on You Tube. I will give them some listens. Have a good day!

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:36:40 PM PDT
Elvin Ortiz says:
10 recently watched movies:
Wild Strawberries
I Confess
The Messenger
Bonnie and Clyde
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Rebecca
Lost Horizon
The Prowler
Alien

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 10:16:38 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Top 10 Things I Miss...

1. 99 cents per gallon of gas
2. MTV (120 Minutes)
3. Crystal Pepsi
4. Pogo Ball
5. Thundercats Lunch Box
6. Atari
7. Legos (the good kind. Not the cr@p they sell today)
8. 3ft. Jumbo Pixy Stix
9. Being carded 
10. Running for fun, not exercise. 

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 10:30:42 AM PDT
Top Ten anime I own

1 Neon Genesis Evangelion
2 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
3 Ergo Proxy
4 Serial Experiments: Lain
5 Fullmetal Alchemist
6 Eden of the East
7 Moribito
8 Planetes
9 Twelve Kingdoms (set 1)
10 Vexille

Anime I've rented/borrowed once and don't own (in no order):

Akira
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell (1st movie)
Some of Cowboy Bebop and the movie
Paprika
D. Gray-man (1st season)
Samurai Champloo

Insufficient data (I only own 1 disc):
Berserk (disc 1)
Claymore (disc 1)
Texhnolyze (disc 2)

Anime I'm embarrassed to admit I own:
Gantz (season 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:01:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 8:05:09 AM PDT
Gordo: A perceptive anatomy of our house sociopath TAS. My thanks. If TAS really believes that those ideas only exist in the mind (and I won't go into his faulty sense of epistemology--clearly not Platonic)--then why is he still alive?

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:09:05 AM PDT
Top Ten Favorite Stories (short or otherwise): REVISED

1) The Beast in the Jungle--Henry James
2) The Dead--James Joyce
3) The Lost Boy--Thomas Wolfe
4) The Fog Horn--Ray Bradbury
5) Night Sea Journey -John Barth
6) Death in Venice--Thomas Mann
7) Heart of Darkness--Joseph Conrad
8) A Clean Well-Lighted Place--Ernest Hemingway
9) Altar of the Dead--Henry James
10) The Snows of Kilimanjaro--Ernest Hemingway

Runners up:

Babylon Revisited--F.Scott Fitzgerald
The Celestial Omnibus - E. M. Forster
Lost in the Funhouse--John Barth

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:14:03 AM PDT
incognito:

I didn't think anyone by me had seen Paperhouse--remarkable little film. Where did you see it? I cannot find a dvd copy.

I think this film deals with matters of life and death in about as imaginative way as possible. When I first saw it, it seemed to me that it would be a good film for parents to watch with their kids and discuss afterwards. It deals with major issues without insulting adults or patronizing children.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:27:14 AM PDT
sloany:

An interesting thing about Lancaster was that, despite being a huge star, he was always trying to stretch himself, was not content to just rake in a paycheck. Sometimes he got in over his head, but even then he learned from the experience. One interesting thing about Birdman is that, unlike most films, they makeup men actually did a good job of constructing how Lancaster would look as an old man.

There are, apparently, several versions of Performance. I do not believe the original Cammell cut has ever been released. I know when I first saw it it was rated "x". Apparently, James Fox said it actually hurt his career.

I have never really understood the fascination with Eastwood's Midnight. For one thing, I am not very clear about the ending. Perhaps it is intentionally ambiguous, but it seems more confusing. It certainly made me realize I don't want to travel to the South again.

How to Murder Your Wife has always seemed a pale shadow of Divorce, Italian Style, much funnier and more clever. Its like Italian Style without the nerve to go through with it. Have you seen that one?

Kiss Me Deadly--its a shame Ralph Meeker never became a bigger star. I always enjoy watching him work. Did you know the film had two endings? WHen I first saw it, the then ending was much more ambiguous. You never see what happens to Hammer. I think both may be on the dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:30:58 AM PDT
Anonymous"

I just caught that about the "finest supermarket comedy of all time."

This would seem to be a narrow field of competitors.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 1:56:05 PM PDT
Top Ten Favorite Woody Allen Films: (alphabetical order)

Another Woman
Cassandra's Dream
Celebrity
Interiors
Match Point
Melinda and Melinda
September
Shadows and Fog
Stardust Memories
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

Runnersup:

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Radio Days
Sweet and Lowdown

Most Overrated Woody Allen Films:

Annie Hall
Bullets Over Broadway
Hannah and Her Sisters
Midnight in Paris

Worst Woody Allen films:

Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Everyone Says I Love You
Hollywood Ending
Manhattan Murder Mystery

I am so glad he did NOT direct: Play It Again Sam.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x952940f0)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  93
Total posts:  4362
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions