Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5776-5800 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 11:59:15 AM PDT
M.S. says:
Tooth Fairy 2 with Larry the Cable guy.
I can sum it up in one word-HILARIOUS!

Great movie to watch with the family.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 3:14:59 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
>"Great movie to watch with the family"<

Which family, Soprano or Manson?

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 4:04:06 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
We watched the 1st season of Downton Abbey. Of the 7 episodes, 6, the first 6, were everything you could want in a series. Strongly character driven tale of two classes in close proximity with real personalities. All were well rounded with strong & weak points & only one that appears unmitigatingly negative.

The 7th show though seemed to drift across a line that separates life from soap opera. Indeed the only thing missing from the 7th episode being part of an American soap opera was the cleaning products commercials. We were both sad to see it end that way because of the high bar the first 6 had set. Still it is undoudtedly one of the best series we've ever seen & even though plot overtook character & incidents became manipulated rather than implemented I still highly recommend this 1st season. Season 2 is on the way & we're eagerly awaiting it's arrival. Thanks to all out there that recommended this gem. In case no one has heard season 3 is in production & oh yeah, the extras with this et are nice.

Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey, Season 1

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:34:47 PM PDT
Parents (directed by Bob Balaban)
A look into an odd 1950's suburban household, where a young boy is led to question just where his meals are coming from. A very clever take on the fears of young children; the world we create around ourselves, especially when we realize that all is not perfect in our life, and that our parents may be flawed after all (a realization we have all had to face).

Taking it to the nth degree, Balaban has created a dark fantasy by combining visually arresting imagery with an underlying menace that permeates every scene. Not content to just plonk the camera down and say Action!, Balaban uses a string of inventive shots and angles to keep the viewer off kilter which adds greatly to the shows effect. Also adding to the tension and fantastical vibe is the slow burn of the film; edging closer and closer to the full truth.

With dollops of dark humour, the odd bucket of blood, and a continually creepy score, Messrs Balaban and Hawthorne (the writer) have created a film worthy of it's cult status, and perhaps worthy of breaking the cultish bonds and receiving a more widespread audience.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:36:41 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
I'm watching the first season of BBC's JEKYLL. Just at a first glance I'd have to say, "Unique!" The writer is obviously the master of the odd angle, short retort.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:41:36 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Enjoy, enjoy!

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 7:07:00 PM PDT
Recently, I did sit down and watch The Hunger Games, and I got to say; it's very, very brutal. Granted, the acting was good, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I left the theater because by the time we got to the second act, children were blowing up and slitting each others throats and whatnot. I had to take my daughter out of the theater because she was terrified with this movie.

As for what I thought of the movie, it was just too unpleasant. I can't fathom a future where we live in a world where life turns up the way it does here. Personally, the film doesn't work as a Science Fiction film, and there is no way this film is appropriate for young kids. And if all the violence doesn't turn you off, it's the shaky cam that would make you wanna vomit.

Overall, I did not enjoy the movie. I was told it was the next Twilight, but I can barely see the connections there, and based on the advertising alone, it was a disappointment. If you are in any way, shape or form curious, just wait until it comes out on video. I'll rate it 3 out of 10 stars.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 7:27:36 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@sarah,
Thanks for your input. Having read the novel, which is even bloodier and bleaker, I will be prepared for the violence. The director had to tone it down a great deal to keep it at a PG-13 rating. More gore would have earned it an R and he would have lost most of the target audience.

No, it's definitely not appropriate for young kids. I'd say the book is appropriate for a mature 12+, but seeing passages rendered visually might be upsetting to more sensitive teens, even when they are toned down a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 8:13:39 PM PDT
stevign says:
How old is your daughter?

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 9:12:48 AM PDT
Genealogies of a Crime--1997, directed by Raoul Ruiz, with the lovely Catherine Deneuve. With every film that I see, I admire Ruiz's work more. For those with a eye to the plot, you may wish to take a look at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119242/plotsummary

But a mere summary cannot convey just how charming and eccentric this film is. It has Ruiz's characteristic touches--signature items like an organizing visual metaphor (a game of Go), the occasional striking point-of-view shot, the tableau vivant. But no one but Ruiz could take a plot strongly indebted to noir archetypes and blend it with echos of Bergman (Persona) and a kind of dry and mordant drollery. Or come up with the notion of warring factions of psychotherapists. Or ring changes on his perennial theme of "let me tell you a story"--in this case, existing stories taking on a life of their own as the patterns of crimes. Or turn a noir structure (with more than a passing echo of Mildred Pierce) into what can only be described as a surrealist comedy--far less extravagant in style than Bunuel--perhaps Austen to his Dickens.

I don't think I would suggest this as your introduction to Ruiz--that should be perhaps Three Crowns of the Sailor, or Time Regained, or even The Mysteries of Lisbon--but it's a perfect delight, and an antidote to brainless commercial film. And, as always, Deneuve is wonderful. And beautifully written as well. There is something particularly pleasing about listening to French spoken well.

A 9 out of 10.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 1:11:31 PM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
There was no visible gore, (what I would call *gore*) definitely a dramatization of a young girl being brutally stabbed. As in the motion is set up and the camera quickly pans away... I found it heavy duty myself. I can imagaine various reactions from people. Still liked the movie a lot though!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 2:11:48 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
William A. Smith -

>>But no one but Ruiz could take a plot strongly indebted to noir archetypes and blend it with echos of Bergman (Persona) and a kind of dry and mordant drollery.

OK you got my attention. I rewatched Persona last night. What a lovely, convoluted & absorbing film based on the interractions of 1 mind or should that be 2 women. Let's say both can be either & be done with it.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 9:49:49 PM PDT
5 stars for The Pallisers - The Complete Collection

It's expensive but if you like historicals, which I do, you will like it. The Pallisters is a BBC series, 15 disk set, hours and hours of entertainment.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 5:06:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:00:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 9:00:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 9:01:19 AM PDT
Re: The Pallisers--one of the real monuments of British television. Susan Hampshire as Lady Glencora--just plain wonderful.

And better yet--if it inspires you to read Trollope's novels, you will be in for one of the great treats of English literature.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 7:51:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:02:58 PM PDT
Hikari says:
COWBOYS AND ALIENS Starring Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell, Keith Carradine
Directed by Jon Faveau 3.5 stars

Our action begins with a slow pan over the New Mexican desert. The Man With No Name (Daniel Craig) comes to with a nasty wound, the picture of a woman next to him in the dirt, and a high-tech looking cuff soldered around his wrist. He also has no memory of who he is, where he is, or how he got there. Before he can gather his wits, he's beset upon by three bandits. Making short work of them, he takes their clothes and gets on one of their horses, riding toward Absolution. And before our eyes, a new Western star is born! Dan even talks genuine cowboy--the first time we've heard an American accent from him. It's a typically laconic turn from Mr. Craig, so he doesn't have to say much. But dang, he looks fine in the cowboy duds and obviously spent time practicing how to holster his pistol with flair.

After a really stellar first half hour, well, Things are Going to Start to Get Weird . . but this is, after all, called "Cowboys and Aliens"--what can we expect? The concept is interesting; the execution uneasy . . .had they opted to stay with a straight Western this might have really been something quite good. As it is, it's . . . .something, all right. I would describe it as "Young Guns meets Alien Orcs in Space".

The Good: The actors are all uniformly excellent, despite increasingly silly dialogue and situations. To see Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig in the same picture is worth the price of admission alone. Plus a whole raftload of other talent, even in the smaller parts. (Clancy Brown, Adam Beach, Paul Dano) Great to see Ford again having fun by the looks of it. Watching him onscreen with Craig is like watching the premier action star of the 1980s and '90s pass the torch to the new guy.

Shot on location in New Mexico, the old West scenes look authentic.
The soundtrack by Harry Gregson-Williams is unexpectedly awesome.
Mr. Craig honors his contractual obligation to have at least one shirtless scene per film.

The Bad: The aliens. Been there, done that. The excuse given for their presence and animosity toward mankind is very weak. The cognitive dissonance of seeing them in an Old West landscape just makes their deficiencies more glaring. It's just tired the way they are represented, looking like a cross between the Orc Captain in Fellowship of the Ring mated with the Alien Queen. In a rather amusing nod to the Western genre, these aliens abduct their human prey by lassoing them with a cable and dragging them up into their ships.

Altogether an interesting concept that just doesn't quite gel together . . .but raise your hand if you think watching Craig and Ford in a straight Western would be worthwhile.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:07:34 PM PDT
RZ says:
Three movies:

The Help: 10/10
Should have won the Oscar for Best Picture, emotional, carismatic, eye-catching, thrilling, dramatic, deep. Great performances. BEAUTIFUL.

Iron Lady: 10/10
Dramatic. Deep. Meryl Streep, wonderful as always. I cried, it's heart touching.

The Departed: 10/10
Brilliant, thrilling, great performances, great plot... EXCELLENT.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 8:34:05 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
RZ,

Are there movies out there that aren't perfect '10''s in your eyes?

What's the lowest rating you would give, and what movie(s?) would be deserving of it to you?

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:40:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 8:41:50 PM PDT
RZ: Are you one of those people who writes pseudo-reviews to serve as fodder for studio marketing efforts?

Chez Smith, we call them quote w*h*o*r*e*s.

And "I cried"--really? How nice for you. Why? Scarcely a recommendation for anyone with with a well-regulated emotional makeup.

Gee, thanks for "reviews" that tell me exactly nothing about the films involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 9:09:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 1, 2012 1:06:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 11:03:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 11:04:58 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Mssrs. Baker & Smith,

Don't you think it's a bit unsporting to gang up on a new poster who obviously doesn't have either your depth of cynicism or vocabulary? Such enthusiastic, pithy endorsements provide a refreshing counterbalance to the snarkfests of verbiage we specialize in, no? (I include myself here.) We don't want our little sandbox to get a rep for being infested with bullies, do we? We already dealt with one of those last summer.

Ah, I see RZ has picked up a fan . . .

By the way, I cried when Rue was killed in "The Hunger Games". Book, not movie. It really is a touching scene one would have to be pulseless NOT to get choked up at.

My latest review is above . . . either of you see that one?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 12:26:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:00:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 12:28:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:00:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 12:35:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:00:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 1:06:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 2, 2012 12:30:03 AM PDT]
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions