Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6426-6450 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:03:48 AM PDT
Blitz [Blu-ray]

This one is good. A cop killer in London calls himself the Blitz.
You will really want to see this guy get wasted. He brings up all the vile of a good piece of crap.

4 1/2 stars

Posted on May 18, 2012 2:49:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 12:38:03 PM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
"One for the Money", this movie is run of the mill, bland, and the chemistry was lacking between the leads. I have noticed this major flaw in these types of movies, they simply lack emotional intensity, and that really makes the story lacking/forgettable for the viewer. So I give this one a 2 out of 5 stars.

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:03:11 PM PDT
I just saw one for the money it was bad movie ,I am glad I did not paid $10.00 to see it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 6:10:12 PM PDT
stevign says:
Do you and DM have a problem with capital letters? I had to assume "One for the Money" was a movie and not just part a sentence that made no sense.

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:58:21 PM PDT
The last movie I saw for the first time: Hoop Dreams.

Though I have seen few documentaries, it doesn't take a genius to know that "Hoop Dreams" is the greatest documentary ever made. It's a film that changes the way we think about American life and it changes our lives as well. It's not just a must-see for athletes. It's a must-see movie for everyone.
The film is a true story, and it follows two inner city Chicago boys named William Gates and Arthur Agee, as they both try to achieve their dream of playing in the NBA. The filmmakers, Steve James, Peter Gilbert, and Frederick Marx follow these two African American teenagers from their 8th grade year to their freshman year in college. What started as a 30-minute short turned into 8 years and 250 hours worth of footage.
The two boys are recruited to play basketball for a suburban private school, St. Joseph, which turned out to be the school where their hero, NBA All-Star Isaiah Thomas, graduated from. Although these boys did not excel academically, their talents on the basketball court are able to earn them very good reputations.
There are some setbacks in their stories. William suffers a knee injury which jeopardizes his career in both high school and college, and Arthur leaves the private school and enrolls in the public school, Marshall, where he could be susceptible to drugs. Worse, his father leaves the family for some time (before ultimately returning) and suffers jail time.
What's great about "Hoop Dreams" is that the filmmakers don't just follow the two boys, but their families as well. We learn a lot about how these families relate to each other and how they manage to survive despite being loss of jobs or decreased payment. For example, William's brother Curtis is just like William in the sense that he desired greatly to be an NBA All-Star, but we see him in the film working as a security guard, long gone from the dream. But he supports William no matter how jealous he may be (I'm sure he probably wasn't).
Another example is Arthur's father himself. He dreamed of the NBA and he always spoke of how he would achieve greatness through his son. Many times fathers who themselves don't have another chance to be something great will look into their sons to bring them glory. And Arthur's father saw that in his son, who had the potential to make it to the NBA.
The most thrilling parts of the movie of course, are the games themselves. If St. Joseph or Marshall wins, we feel as much joy as the two boys because we are allowed to grow up with them. We understand their surroundings, we know their passion, and we feel the amount of work that they put into the game. If either team loses, we are as saddened and upset as the two boys, who are the strongest protagonists that I've seen in a movie in a long time.
Only few other films have spoken more about class and race than "Hoop Dreams" (perhaps only Spike Lee's films "Do The Right Thing" and "Malcolm X"). Nevertheless, both Arthur and William manage to overcome traditional horrid stereotypes to become some of the most respected basketball players of their age groups. They are able to learn from the mistakes that others have made (Arthur's father encourages his son not become like him).
Few films have also said more about the importance of education. William and Arthur both struggle in the classroom, but because they believe in themselves and they are supported by their families, teachers, and coaches, they are able to succeed academically and go to the colleges they want to go to. The coaches say that academics come before sports, and most kids I know today take that for granted, minus a few exceptions. This film stresses the importance of education and studying, and how it can get you places.
"Hoop Dreams" is not just a film for athletes, and it's also not just a film for high school students. This is a movie for everyone to see. It stresses the importance of working hard at what you love and want, the importance of education, and the importance of families, and why they are so significant in our lives. From start to finish, "Hoop Dreams" is one incredible motion picture.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:59:18 PM PDT
William: Thank you for your review. I have just begun recording this in the second season, have not yet watched either episode, but very much looking forward to it. I wanted to re-read Hounds before watching the episode. Hounds was the first Sherlock story I read as a teen, so I would like to revisit that (if you recall, on your suggestion, I purchased the complete Sherlock several months ago).

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 3:42:51 AM PDT
Rick: I have not watched the American version but the Swedish version was excellent.
Some people do not watch foreign movies because they do not like subtitles,each his own I think they are missing some great movies.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:03:56 AM PDT
Jersey Girl: Try watching some movies from the late 40's and early 50's for a change of pace.
Not only do you get to see some of the real movies stars of those days you can check out the fashions in clothing,style and the cars.
Any book you have not read is a new one,any movie you have not seen is a new one.
Check out: "This Gun For Hire" "The Big Heat" and "Kid Galahad" the one waaay before Elvis made it.
You may like some of the BBC period movies that have been on "Masterpiece Theater" Lot of good romantic movies with great period wardrobes
and settings.
Happy viewing!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:09:38 AM PDT
Jersey Girl: Your review matched what I thought, watch for the special effects if you have a super-duper viewing and sound set-up.
Don't think about the plot and Sigourney Weaver doing Ripley from Alien and some other cliches and you may enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:12:24 AM PDT
Rock N Rolla: Have you watched the movie same as your review name?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:18:50 AM PDT
Hikari: Shades of "Death Wish" and Charles Bronson! I enjoyed Harry Brown also. Can't think of any young actor coming close to Caine in
cinema today.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:06:05 AM PDT
Nope. I still haven't seen Rock N Rolla yet. Is it any good?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:33:36 AM PDT
Rock N Rolla: Worth a watch. I think they did a sequel or are going to.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:49:36 AM PDT
D.M. Thanks for the review,was wondering about it,from the reviews it sounded dull.

I hope this is a friendly discussion group! I list my ten best movies on the other site and said my friends and I would rather watch "Road House"
than "Citizen Kane'. PDQ I got back a smart-ass answer from one of those guys who thinks he is Sigmund Freud or I should say Sigmund Fraud.
He has to nit-pick camera angles,the director,you name it.
I feel sorry for guys like this,he probably can't enjoy Laurel & Hardy or the old Warner Brothers cartoons on You Tube. Beep! Beep!
Maybe the guy works for Acme.

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:36:50 AM PDT
I have just finished watching Cast Away

I can't speak :((

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:38:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 7:40:44 AM PDT
Warren: This is certainly a friendly group, and I for one quite enjoy Road House--it's very entertaining. I also think that nothing in animation beats Warner--particularly Chuck Jones' work. And I certainly don't have any problems with wanting to watch Road House instead of Citizen Kane--clearly there are times when one is in the mood for undemanding action.

But for heaven's sake (and this isn't just you), please don't assume that because Citizen Kane isn't to your taste that it's not a great film. There are about half a dozen films--I think Citizen Kane, Vertigo, and Last Year At Marienbad top the list, and there are others, but I'm particularly sensitive to those because, not only because they are among the greatest films ever (at least according to a broad consensus of film enthusiasts) but they are personal favorites as well--that periodically get attacked by people either trying to be clever or who just don't get the sensibilities of those films. Call those of us who admire these films snobs, if you like--but acknowledge the consensus, even if you disagree with it, and had the courtesy to say why you dislike them.

For the record--I am a huge Warner fan, but I can't stand Laurel and Hardy, or the Stooges. Physical comedy of that sort never struck me as funny.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 8:21:27 AM PDT
William A. Smith: Final word: Citizen Kane dull. I am out of here. Beep! Beep!
Everybody in the discussion groups think they are sexual intellectuals,at least the ones I have been in and this is number 3.

Posted on May 19, 2012 8:49:34 AM PDT
Warren: Sorry you feel that way, and even sorrier that you find Kane dull. But that's your problem, not Kane's. And even sorrier that you got dinged on the other thread by TAS--at present, our house psychopath.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 9:42:12 AM PDT
stevign says:
No. Don't bother, it was a real disappointment.

Posted on May 19, 2012 12:37:25 PM PDT
Lovely D.M. says:
Warren thanks :)

Oh and I'll go back and edit the title of the other movie. I wasn't paying a lot of attention when I typed "One for the Money" above, it was just a typo. I'm announcing now that I have nothing against capital letters!

Battle Royale:
I confess that I watched some parts through my fingers. This is definitely a sort of twisted movie with a weird premise and a lot of violence, however it also has an emotional bent. *Spoiler* it was good that the H/h survived in the end, but I wouldn't watch this movie again. Even though I saw this a few days ago I still don't know what rating to give it...so I shall just leave it unrated.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 1:09:44 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
I just saw previews of the new Jack Black movie. It is called Bernie and also stars Shirley McClaine and Matthew McCaughnehey-sp? I thought the previews looked good and will add it to my Netflix.

Posted on May 19, 2012 2:36:36 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
"The Dictator"--too akin to one of Adam Sandler's crapfests. The only thing which redeems bad taste is laughs, and this doesn't contain enough of 'em. Thumbs down.

Posted on May 19, 2012 6:02:40 PM PDT
[lazily rolls out of bed] errrgh...sleeep, O distant friend of mine, when shall thee returrn [sits down at computer, strong black coffee in hand, reads more good reviews from Miss Mischief] Gee, MG has been writing some good reviews of late. Must remember to tell her to keep up the good work [reading...reading...some pre-reviews that I skip over...try to remember if I have watched any films of late] Hmmmm, well I did watch the first three Friday the 13th films some 5 or 6 days ago....should write Something about 'em.....

Part 1 - Not bad as far as slasher flicks go. Tight bods aplenty. Creepy music and sound effects that add to tension but ALSO let you know when a kill is coming so I'm wondering if this sentence even makes sense or is within the parameters of logic. Sex is evil, I guess....but then again, the killer, who is killing these folk for getting too raunchy while sonny-boy drowns, is the evil one, so I guess the film is actually saying sex is Good....no sleep = bad review and muddled thoughts....anyway, second to last shot makes the whole film worthwhile. Genuinely creepy shot. As for Jason Voorhees, only an attempted murder charge can be flung his way in this one.

Part 2 - Sex is still getting punished in a variety of bloody ways. New killer this time. New tight bods. Same music, same setting, same creepy final moments. Some pluses - killer actually RUNS after victims! Victims actually RUN AWAY from killer! A minus - just not enough boobs.

Part 3 - This one is absolutely......bad. Some pluses - Jason acquires his trademark bush-knife (PNG talk for machete) and his trademark hockey mask. Some more inventive kills. Lots of 3D tricks thrown in that make watching it in a non-3D format just plain funny. Minuses - Still not enough boobs....in fact (!), NO BOOBS!! Egads man, this is a slasher flick! Give the people (older boys, younger men) what they want. BOOBS!

[refills mug with more black coffee. considers deleting entire post but pushes 'Post' instead]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:14:41 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Warren B. in C. B.- I hope this is a friendly discussion group!

Well of course we are. To prove it, I'll end my comment here.

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:55:32 PM PDT
My apologies in advance, this isn't a review of Cast Away as such, just my innermost feeling about a film that took me by surprise and I enjoyed. If anyone has watched both The Bridges Of Madison County and Cast Away, I hope you can understand why I think Cast Away (and TBOMC) are both brilliant in my naive opinion.
Two different angles on the anguish of loving someone so much and yet making a decision to 'do the right thing'. I found TBOMC heartwrenching and sad. Now after watching Tom Hanks' performance in Cast Away, I feel the same. I would definitely put both films on my Favourites of all time list.
These two films are so emotionally haunting and make you cry and long for a different ending, but the endings had to happen the way they did.
I love Clint Eastwood and I love Tom Hanks. I think their personal charisma comes through so strongly no matter what role they play. As an aside James Stewart, Gregory Peck, Peter Sellers, Gene Hackman and Jack Lemmon also have the same effect on me when I watch them. They mesmerise me from start to finish in all of their films.

Cast Away 4.5 stars
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions