Customer Discussions > Movie forum

THE HORROR!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-59 of 59 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 19, 2011 11:38:12 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Trilogy of Terror 2 with Lysette Anthony and the return of the Zuni Fetish Doll.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 3:40:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 3:41:25 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
The Omen
The Changeling
The Exorcist
The Haunting (the original)
The Innocents

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 3:58:32 AM PDT
Blu Boy says:
I really feel like Carpenter is under appreciated as the filmmaker he really is. Sure his films aren't the highest in production values (except The Thing) but that brings a certain charm to his movies... like they are constantly reassuring the audience to go ahead, give in, be scared, it's all in good fun. BTW Big Trouble in Little China is one of the greatest fun american films ever made... it has everything.

If I'm not back in an hour... call the president.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 2:22:01 PM PDT
M.R. says:
John Carpenter fan here as well....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 6:52:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2011 7:50:59 PM PDT
The much maligned 'Christine' is one of my favorite Carpenter movies. It rarely gets a mention, with all the talk usually favoring 'The Thing', 'Halloween', 'Escape From New York' etc, but in terms of 'feel', it is Carpenter on the top of his game. Great shots lend to its tension, and the performances are top shelf, especially Keith Gordon as Arnie. The soundtrack is fantastic (as usual for Carpenter), and the contrast between the upbeat rock blaring from the cars speakers as it rolls towards murder is eerie. Its the movie that gets lost in the mix, but is a personal fave for me.

That scene where the car rebuilds itself.....memorable. But the best....chasing down and dispatching (one by one) the bullies. The last a slow chase of an aflame Christine, burning down the road as ominous notes twang in the air, and then CRUNCH, leaving behind a burning mess. Brilliant.

There is more going on here than just "watched movie, liked movie". My best mate growing up had a father who worked for the state theatre, and was an opposer of all things censorship. He would often vouch for us minors and get us into R rated films which we otherwise would have been unable to see. He owned a beautiful 1950's Ford, and I will always remember those drives to the cinema - sliding from side to side on the all leather back seat, knowing I was about to watch a movie that society wanted me not to. The day we went to see 'Christine' was exceptionally hot, and the seats were burning my bum. I kept silently cursing the car!

Finally sitting in a cool theatre, and comfy seats, still stinging from the seat burns, the curtain went up, and the CAR appeared. It was real life emotion mixing with the unreal. This created resonance immediately for me. When I watch it now, I feel nostalgic - that day, yes, but ALL those days i rode in that car come flooding back. So the emotions I felt at the time (Hot car, excitement, anticipation, happy days!) aided my enjoyment.....and damn thats cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 9:45:03 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Christine, huh?
--------------
That movie was released during the Christmas season, 1983 Stateside. I was 17, so I could have gotten into the move legitimately, though I never did. I think I saw it later on cable. I did read the book around that time. How old were you?

That is a pretty cool case of Art mimicking life, I must say.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 4:58:28 PM PDT
I'm pretty sure I didn't see it in '83....I think I was around 8 years old. Maybe we got a late release date, or maybe the smaller theatre we would frequent re-released it for a time (I can't imagine it was because of an extended run).

My mate and I were lucky kids. I've always been thankful to his dad for taking us to these types of movies. It gave me a cinematic head-start in terms of education. The last R rated film I can remember him taking us to was Robocop - another sweltering day, but this one had an extra twist....he took us to the pub for a beer before the film! One adult, two 11 year old's, three beers, and then an R rated film. Methinks my corruption began at a young age....hehe.

Posted on May 2, 2012 7:33:30 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Reviving this dead thread only looking to recruit any horror fans over to the amazon horror thread where we are looking to finalize the top 100 nominees to the Horror Hall of Fame. If you have any interest and knowledge of the horror genre please come join us at: http://www.amazon.com/forum/horror/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2BCXSU68XSQM6&cdThread=Tx2K707HRJ1ZXWS

We hope to finish up nominations within the next couple days and then get on to the voting...

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:40:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 7:46:51 PM PDT
Hikari says:
>>>....he took us to the pub for a beer before the film! One adult, two 11 year old's, three beers, and then an R rated film. Methinks my corruption began at a young age....hehe.

Sounds like a pretty typical Australian childhood . . .And did you like the 'barley soda' as my dad called it at 11 years of age?

I started younger than you--there's a picture of me holding a beer bottle in the camper (you might call it a caravan) and grinning to beat the band. I was four. I'd pester my dad mercilessly (I was very persistent) and he'd save me the tiniest of tiny swigs in the bottom. My mother was not to know. Good thing Children's Services didn't get ahold of the picture. They would have gotten the wrong idea. No doubt as my first grade teacher did when I wrote my first-ever composition on my dad and one of the five sentences I had selected was "My Daddy drinks beer." For the record, my dad did not have a drinking problem--just goes to show that at seven one does not really have a deep knowledge about the inner workings of a father's mind. He was a cypher to me. But he did enjoy a cold one after work.

So when's the sprog due to make an appearance? Soon, yeah?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Jul 14, 2011
Latest post:  May 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions