Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Is there a movie that bombed at the box office but you loved anyway?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 506 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 12:17:27 PM PDT
C. Stevens says:
She-Devil.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 12:35:28 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Dark City

nice idea. Wake up a different person everyday. Had a bad day? Don't worry about it.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 12:37:11 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
The Blue Butterfly-

William Hurt & wish upon a star.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 12:37:25 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
basically most people have a lot of guilty pleasures. Just because a critic(or group of them) doesnt like a movie,doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. I mean,look at some of the snorefests they rally behind. That being said, here are some of my favs
Shawshank Redemption was not critically acclaimed and came to theatre and quickly left
Tommy Boy is very funny and enjoyable to watch
Dare Devil was not that bad. I mean,admit it, Spiderman movies are cheesy too!
Failure To Launch is funny IMO and hubby and I enjoy it
Derailed(Clive Owen) was really good and had a nice twist to it
I can go on and on. But basically any comedy is panned by critics,yet most people enjoy them for their sillyness. That is what critics seem to miss out on. They look for deep meaning in every movie they review.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 12:52:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2010 1:11:22 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Angelique- River Rose this is for you especially. French language but good
English subtitles. ;>)

a five movie set (64, 65, 66, 67 & 68) of Michelle Mercier raised from a country girl to the height of the French Royal Court. Story line is detailed like most European sets but not so slow you lose interest. I am assuming this will be played on widescreen. A very french look at l'amour. Almost forgot mid 17th Century. The SUN King.

Will she ever win? So tres tragique! 3 discs five movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 1:27:17 PM PDT
Ann says:
I agree who gives a crap about what critics say, there are lot of films that I still happen to enjoy that the critics hated in fact I went to the theater with my big sister to see dear devil when it first released and actually thought it wasn't that bad, I think people shouldn't listen to critics and just listen to themselves and go by what they like.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 1:29:51 PM PDT
Ann says:
My sister liked she devil too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 1:40:13 PM PDT
Ann says:
My sister and I were slightly obsessed with this film because it was really beautifully done, and yes tim Curry was really great as the lard of darkness and the film soundtrack is amazing too, in fact I have a couple of the songs from the film on my mp3, like is your love strong enough, and tangerine dream my sister has these songs too love everything about legend.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 1:42:37 PM PDT
The Way of the Gun. Big (at the time) stars, Christopher McQuarie's directing debut, but didn't really do much. I loved the mood, the soundtrack, everything.
The Ninth Gate. Another great, moody film. I also loved that for most of the movie you weren't even sure if there was a bad guy.
Magnolia. I didn't even see this in the theaters, but I loved it from the first time. One measure of how much I'm enjoying a film is how long it feels. Magnolia felt very short.

Probably too obvious, but what the heck:
The Big Lebowski - 10th Anniversary Edition. It has become such a cult classic, that I think people forgot how bad it flopped in theaters.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 1:59:35 PM PDT
Evan Cole says:
Fight Club, Funny People, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watchmen.

They weren't necessarily bombs (all of them except Funny People ended up grossing slightly over their budget, which was only $4mil away from making its budget back), but they were commercially disappointing. All four are pretty high up on my personal favorites.

Stuff like Moon , The Road, Bad Lieutenant (the Nic Cage one), and The Hurt Locker are also all good films that didn't do so well at the box office (Moon and The Hurt Locker actually grossed slightly more than their budget, and The Road was only $2mil behind), but then again, those were limited release. Most limited releases don't do well just because they're not playing in many theaters, so it's really not fair to call them "flops" or "bombs", because they had no chance in the first place.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 2:11:34 PM PDT
Anybody seen Strange Brew, cult classic bombed in the theaters, but I dug it

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 5:03:39 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
River Rose-

regardless what they say about me I think Tim Curry is great fun to watch. That's talent.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 5:44:48 PM PDT
Ann says:
Thumbs up legend is a awesome film, and its nice to read that someone else appreciated the fim as much as I did and still do:)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2010 9:48:01 PM PDT
Ann says:
I agree that all of your selections had funny quality's, accept I liked dune a lot I did laugh at some parts.... well actually a lot of parts lol but still loved that film.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 9:57:44 PM PDT
I adore Radioland Murders, but it bombed at the box office... Maybe it's just my appreciation for the period, but I thought it was truly a great comedy. You just have to appreciate good slapstick for its own sake, sometimes.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 10:14:38 PM PDT
Hanshin says:
I'm sure I could come up with countless entries for this, but I will just name one:

Strange Days

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 11:21:41 AM PDT
I think Ghost Rider with Nic Cage bombed, but my boyfriend and I loved it. We've watched it more than once.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 11:24:17 AM PDT
Strange Brew is awesome!

My sister and her friends used to quote it all the time :)

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 1:22:20 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Ghost Rider is great. It has it's faults, but the movie is worth watching just to see Ghost Rider blaze a trail on his motorbike down the highway. I liked the part where the cop is hiding behind a billboard clocking for speeders and Ghost Rider flies right past him knocking over the billboard and leaving a trail of melting asphalt. LOL! Or when he rides the bike up the side of buildings. It's just a cool movie.

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 1:25:13 PM PDT
Baron Keels says:
dead again

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 1:40:42 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
K M Horowitz-

thanks for Ghost Rider it reminded me of Constantine. Keanu Reeves & Rachel Weizs. Love that girl.

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 2:28:07 PM PDT
J. Robson says:
I love "Shoot 'em up" , - No story line, insane shoot-outs, a hot babe, crazy car scenes and not a story line in the movie :) - a perfect mind candy for 90 minutes and one of my favorite late night at the shop movies at HyViz :)
Jim

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 2:49:06 PM PDT
Roly says:
Percy Jackson..."the lightening thief" lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 2:51:52 PM PDT
LO77203 says:
McHales Navy. Saw it in an empty theater and laughed out loud. I just bought my own copies of Howard the Duck and Carny. Quality sells, eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 2:54:32 PM PDT
I liked the part when he and Sam Elliot "turn" together and rider through the dessert.

That was a cool scene.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  232
Total posts:  506
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions