Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite film directed by Steven Spielberg

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 726-750 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 8:50:38 AM PDT
And why do you hold such hatred over a cartoon?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 8:52:38 AM PDT
post Z

1993, Jurassic Park - 35
1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 13
1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark - 20
1977, Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 5
1975, Jaws - 53
1971, Duel - 30

T Rex+
Tonka-

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:14:59 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
I am for calling this when we get to the top 5, regardless of the order. I think the cream of the crop has risen to the top, although I might prefer Close Encounters over Temple of Doom.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:32:39 AM PDT
Lew Archer says:
What you're "FOR" is having the game killed off with "Jaws" in first.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:33:54 AM PDT
Lew Archer says:
post Spiral,

1993, Jurassic Park - 36
1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 13
1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark - 20
1975, Jaws - 52
1971, Duel - 30

+Jurassic Park+
------Jaws------

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:38:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 9:39:30 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Not true, I'd rather have Duel first! Duel is superior to Jaws! But, I don't see Duel finishing anywhere but 3rd here. So who cares? Everything left on this list is at least good and each of us has a favorite (which is the title of the thread, anyway). I am "FOR" having the game "killed off" however.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:58:53 AM PDT
AndrewA says:
No I'm just not going to let epic get away with making stuff up to pretend he has valid criticism of a movie that he clearly just hates.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:00:32 AM PDT
I don't get it. It's a CARTOON FOR CRYPES SAKE.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:04:16 AM PDT
AndrewA: Here's a list of genuinely great movies without a single inch of propaganda present or a single ounce of sentimentality:

Back to the Future: The message of the movie is to have confidence in oneself. It also tackles the basic principles of time travel. The latter cannot be propaganda because it is impossible to preach about a nonexistent principle. And standing up for yourself cannot be construed as propaganda because it doesn't deliver on any political or sociological messages but is rather a personal one.

Pulp Fiction: Technically, one could argue it as an anti-criminal propaganda, but nothing about the film preaches against criminal activities because according to societal norm, it's a ''no duh!'' understatement. Another big theme in this film is honor as with the conversation in regards to giving someone else's wife a foot massage, or Butch coming back to save his boss even though he was trying to kill him. One cannot really propagandize ''no duh!'' themes, and there are far too many layers of subtle text in the film that none of it can be considered propaganda.

Fantasia: It's the purest example of art in film ever made. The film is based on visuals synchronizing with famous classical music. And thus, the film is devoid of any real themes. And no, the Night on Bald Mountain segment doesn't count simply because it's religious in tone.

Fargo: One could argue that the film is about greed, but for it to be considered propaganda, it must tackle capitalism as the villain of the story, which the film doesn't; the villains are all desparate men. In fact, the entire film is more about desparation as their entire worlds fall apart all around them. Probably the finest example of a tragic comedy put on film.

Ed Wood: A cautionary tale/character study, yes. Propaganda, no. Again, it lacks any political or sociological messages that would make it's message considered propaganda. If the messages are given on a personal level, it ceases being propaganda.

And to continue on from there:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Being John Malkovich
Vertigo
2001: A Space Odyssey
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather trilogy
The Right Stuff
The King of Comedy
Seven Samurai
The list goes on...

And let me clarify the difference between sentiment and sentimental in case you try to single out any of the above films as sentimental. Sentiment earns our audiences sympathies with intelligent and realistic dilemmas. The reason why a member of the audience may cry is because it is perfectly understandable and reasonable to do so. Sentimentality is when they pull out all the stops to ensure that raw emotions are triggered, whether deservedly or not. Wall-E fits in the latter group. The holding hands bit, the sappy music, making the robots look cute, and their constantly shreiking each other's names that, if any emotions of mine were triggered, it is teeth-shattering annoyance because they would never shut up.

It also might as well be considered false advertisement because the film says that the first half of the movie is mostly silent. The definition of a silent film is that not a single word is uttered. And, considering how much they shriek each other's name all throughout the movie (including the first half), that argument holds no real water.

Posted on May 25, 2012 10:08:22 AM PDT
And just because a film is a cartoon does not mean it gets a pass. And AndrewA, I have said every single objective reason as to why the movie is bad in the books. You're just too fickle accept that a single point of mine is valid. I am ending this discussion on Wall-E right now.

And really, the only reason why you're accusing me of hosting game that supposedly exists solely to exhibit my own dislike for the film is simple: You are a Wall-E fanatic (and perhaps, by extension, another Pixar fanboy on top of that), and I have no business with fools that bow down to every one of Pixar's whims regardless of whatever criticism comes their way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:39:39 AM PDT
AndrewA says:
Or it's because you still haven't provided real criticism. You have called holding hands propaganda, and said that the future in Wall-E is laughably impossible because the movie Idiocracy shows a contrasting future. Those aren't valid criticisms of a movie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:26:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 11:28:39 AM PDT
And you have deliberately twisted my own comments in order to make it sound like my criticisms are drastically different. Holding hands isn't propaganda but vomittingly sentimental; the environmental messages and an entire populace full of fat, stupid people are as subtle as a nuclear explosion and fit the bill of propangda loud and clear...so loud in fact that it become condescending.

I have no patience with fools, and I have nothing but contempt for liars and those who deliberately bend my words to mean something else entirely. You are now on ignore, and blacklisted from ever playing another one of my games again (the ones I'm hosting, so you're good here).

PS: You bow down to Wall-E yet condemn Mass Effect 3 AND A Dance with Dragons!? Don't talk to me anymore; you're a complete waste of my time.

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:14:18 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
"I have no patience with fools"

It's a shock you can stand yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:24:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 3:29:01 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
"I have nothing but contempt for liars"

Not a fan of dishonesty either, then, I take it? That's good. I mean, someone who has contempt for liars and dishonesty would never make lots of alt accounts so they can have multiple votes on these games each day. That just wouldn't make sense.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:42:48 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
So can I show you how I'm not bending anything you've said or are you not even going to look at the post. Because I'm not about to waste my time typing out a big post showing you what you've said and how I haven't bent it at all if you aren't even going to look at it.

By the way, if you actually looked at my reviews for Mass Effect 3 and Dance with Dragons instead of just the scores I gave them, you'd see I pretty thoroughly laid out my issues with both titles and why I was so disappointed with each one.

While I do hold Wall-E in high regard, I haven't told you once to like the film. It's clear that you hate the movie and I respect that. What I don't respect is all the fictional propaganda you see in the film and try to use to condemn it. If you were man enough to admit that you simply didn't like the film because it didn't fit your taste in movies, then I would let it go and stop bothering you about it. Other people in your thread have said they didn't like it because they don't like animated movies, or they just didn't care for the robots who don't ever talk, and I haven't attacked them for those stances. You've tried to take it to another level of contempt that simply doesn't exist because you can't just admit that you don't like the film.

I noticed that one of the films you hold in high regard was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Well, what if I was spouting off everywhere saying that the trilogy was clearly propaganda to hate black people. Think about it, all the men you see in the film are white. There are no black guys anywhere. Oh wait, the orcs are black. It's clearly a caricature of black people and the good guys spend all three movies killing them without regard. That makes it a propaganda film against black people because the whole trilogy is just a facade to show that white people are better than black people. You say there isn't an inch of propaganda in the film, yet I could argue that the whole thing was just one big propaganda film. Like I said in an earlier post in one of these threads, you are seeing propaganda where you want to. It's okay to admit that you just hated Wall-E and were looking way too deeply into everything about it to find more things you hated. Trust me, you'll feel better.

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:44:27 PM PDT
I have an opinion and it is the best one of them all!

End of Evangelion ruled and if you don't like it then you can just get out!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:06:45 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Ehhh...

I don't really want to catch any kind of fungus by agreeing with FapicGordon, but... End of Eva kind of sucked.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:05:10 PM PDT
AndrewA: re: LotR: That isn't propaganda though; that's just people who are looking to be offended by anything they see. One can read into Lord of the Rings, however, and single it out as an anti-industrial propaganda, but unlike Wall-E, the films focus on much deeper text than that. Examples? The battle for armageddon; the spiritual journey to Heaven; the clash between good and evil, again, the list goes on. Neither are propaganda, and the latter could be considered a universal truth.

Again, this just proves to me that you are either a liar or a fool. I have no respect for either, and you cannot win either way. I just cease to find you contemptable if you pick the latter, and that's not saying much. Me? I'd pick fool.

Posted on May 25, 2012 7:35:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012 12:29:21 AM PDT
Now, with that said, one must be knowledgable enough to discern between good and bad propaganda films. For example, there are a ton of solid war films released during World War II that were made to encourage young men to enlist in the military or various other branches. Frank Capra, for instance, made some of the finest war movies from that period of time. Because of these films, World War II was able to end, and the Axis forces were eventually defeated. In recent years, the best war propaganda picture would have to be Act of Valor; a film that, while farfetched, was so honest--yet so encouraging that it served as a breath of fresh air admist all the anti American military films we've been getting for a good few decades now (especially the last one).

One can also discern bad propaganda that, due to its technique mixed with a near universal understanding of the bad messages, that it ceases being bad and are now considered first rate pictures. Films like Birth of a Nation or Triumph of the Will are prime examples.

And finally, one can even pardon propaganda pictures that fit the bill of being so-bad-it's-good, with films like Reefer Madness, The Happening, and to a limited extent, Glen or Glenda.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to propaganda is that it never tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is why the most honest and sincere propaganda pictures or messages tend to have unrealistic narratives. The bad ones, however, rely on a heavy dose of sentimentality, junk messages that are obviously meant to brainwash, particularly and most definitely, children, and are so heavy handed and shallow that the writers intentions become painfully obvious (films like Wall-E, District 9, Avatar, Grave of the Fireflies, and the ever-so obnoxious Ferngully all fit the bill). Granted, not all cloyingly sentimental pictures are propaganda pictures by default (such as Up, Finding Nemo, or On Golden Pond), but are still vacuous and crappy. And many of them are so incredibly inept that they come off as amusing, yet crappy (such as Cars 2, The Lorax, or Captain Planet). And yet fewer yet are so incompetent and stupid that they become entertainingly bad (like The Happening or Reefer Madness).

Yeah, they're all environmental messages, but the general rule of thumb is that any story with environmental text is junk food meant to serve as propaganda by default and are not worth a spec of time. Exceptions? Sonic SatAM (for the stakes isn't the environment so much as it is the world under tyrannical rule), Calvin and Hobbes (which not only touches upon environmental messages sparingly, but also features counter arguments against them), and Final Fantasy VII (the lifestream, having a similar role to oil, is really just spirit energy, and again, the world is eventually threatened by the prescense of a planet-destroying meteor rather than the environmental disaster). A show based on a video game series, a comic strip (the Citizen Kane of comic strips), and a video game, and none are motion pictures.

The closest thing to a movie with environmental messages that are actually good? Well, ummmmmm...let's see...what can we salvage from the medium...nope, can't think of any. Maybe I should ask around from some actually intelligent people if there are any genuinely good or great films with environmental messages because frankly, I cannot think of a single solitary good one. And no, I will not take The Lion King as a proper answer because it's about, what else, the Circle of Life, and what happens when the balance of power is broken. Because for right now, I can only settle on Sonic SatAM, Calvin and Hobbes, and Final Fantasy VII as the only narratives that come to mind.

UPDATE: A few genuinely good films came up: Idiocracy and The Simpsons movie. The former, mainly as a plot device, and the latter because the main villain is an environmentalist wacko that's gone mad with power.
Your reply to Gordo the Gatling Gun's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:36:16 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
"The battle for armageddon; the spiritual journey to Heaven...."

Sounds eerily like some good ol' religious propaganda to me.....especially the "heaven" bit.

"...you are either a liar or a fool. I have no respect for either..."

I can only assume that you have smashed all the mirrors in your house.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:28:04 PM PDT
Getting back in the game, after Lew Archer:

1993, Jurassic Park - 36
1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 11
1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark - 21
1975, Jaws - 52
1971, Duel - 30

+ Raiders
- Doom

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 12:11:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 11:04:53 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
Nevermind the original version of this post. I was rereading your posts and it's clear you refuse to accept anything that disagrees with your line of thought. You talk about other people needing to understand propaganda, while showing no proof that you actually understand what the word means. You say I have to be a fool or a liar, when you have done nothing to prove I am either, except in your mind, where you probably also think you are some kind of genius. The way you see propaganda in Wall-E was no different than the way I used your attack for Return of the King. The only difference is you hate the first movie and love the second, so clearly what I said can't be right because that goes against the things that only you seem to see.

Let me know if you ever grow up and realize how contradictory you are to yourself when it comes to movies you despise versus movies you love.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 12:13:36 AM PDT
AndrewA says:
By the way, I'm the one upvoting you, not the one downvoting your posts. So please don't think I'm being petty.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 3:22:57 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
After the nonsexual,

1993, Jurassic Park - 35
1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 11
1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark - 21
1975, Jaws - 53
1971, Duel - 30

Shark over T-Rex

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 6:39:43 AM PDT
I enjoyed it for what it was, a big middle finger to the fans for being upset with the original ending.

I'm not going to sit here and over think every piece of film I've ever seen wondering if it is "good" or secretly filling my mind with any of the dreaded PROPAGANDA! If the credits rolled and I found that I enjoyed the movie it was good in my opinion and I couldn't care less what anyone else says.

So in my opinion End of Eva was good as I enjoyed it. What I enjoy in a movie isn't going to be the same thing for everyone else so I don't know where this notion that we all have to agree and get along comes from.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  76
Total posts:  1324
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions