Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am OUTRAGED! Burton's "Dark Shadows" is a comedy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 751-775 of 996 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 17, 2012 10:45:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 19, 2012 7:18:34 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 8:49:37 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Here's something I wasn't aware of until yesterday. Weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth to the contrary by some posters here, it appears that this new movie has ALREADY benefitted the original cast. I was in Barnes and Noble and they had a Dark Shadows display, complete with new DS novels written by Lara Parker (Angelique) and new audio novels voiced by the original cast (David Selby, John Karlen, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Jerry Lacy, etc.) One notable exception is Jonathan Frid. He's not involved in anything I saw and the odd thing is, neither is Barnabas. Everything they had for sale focused on all of the characters BUT Barnabas. Makes me wonder if maybe Frid had the foresight to get some kind of rights deal on the Barnabas character all those years back. If so, I would imagine his golden years are going to be quite a bit more golden. But he's gotta be in at least his 80's by now, I'd think.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 9:12:35 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
sundancekeed

Perhaps Frid doesn't want to muddy the memory of his most famous role by appearing in an audio novel with his aged voice. I doubt most fans would mind - I wouldn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 9:23:13 AM PDT
battersea: and another fan who reflexively condemns the trailer without waiting for the film.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 9:24:30 AM PDT
Cav: That's atmosphere and sensation--not theme. Therefore, I am correct in saying that it's about being scared. :)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 9:25:32 AM PDT
re Star Trek: to boldly split infinitives no man has split before.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 9:41:52 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Dark Shadows being a serial the plot changed a bit over time. Although essentially it was about the Dark secrets of the Collins family. This actually was true throughout the series from the early gothic days, to its final days when it totally abandoned the present day and was set in a parallell world in which Barnabas never became a vampire and focused on his son by Josette.

Star Trek actually has an opening monologue which tells the show's premise made memorable by Shatner's bombast. (Chris Pine plays the Kirk Abrams wants well, but I doubt he could ever match Shatner's well.. Shatneresque qualities.) Oddly enough, the Enterprise never does any deliberate exploring. almost always stumbling across the unknown during a "routine mission".

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 10:37:12 AM PDT
CJV: If we learn anything from Star Trek--in space, there are no routine missions.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 9:13:42 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Tom Baker doesn't seem to mind. I think he and Frid are the same age. He was a holdout from Big Finish for a long time. And he only started recording recenty. There are probably reasons why he was a holdout for such a long time, although conspiculously he's still not working with ex-wife Lalla Ward. One of the sad things was in podcast interview promoting the recoring, he expressed the hope of working with Elizabeth Sladen again in the future. These podcasts were released around time Ms. Sladen's death was announced.

Of course not all voice age the same. Leonard Nimoy now pretty much sounds like he did in Catlow after his throat was cut.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 10:27:09 PM PDT
It make's me SICK! I heard that the DS fans were all delighted to hear that Johnny Depp said that he wasn't going to change the Barnabas character at all, because he felt Jonathan Frid's portrayal was perfect as it was! Just how big of a lie can one person tell! And would you people quit batting around the possibility that the trailer is misleading and the damn thing isn't gonna be a comedy...that's just a waste of any reasonably thinking persons time!

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 11:23:17 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Joseph Moncrief says:>"And would you people quit batting around the possibility that the trailer is misleading and the damn thing isn't gonna be a comedy...that's just a waste of any reasonably thinking persons time!"<

I never said it wasn't going to have comedic elements. I said that in my experience trailers are often misleading about the overall tone and style of a movie.

Still haven't seen it and have little interest to. Almost as little interest in hearing from people OUTRAGED and SICK about a trailer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:36:05 PM PDT
I wasn't interested until I watched 'Edward Scissorhands' again the other night, and it got me all "Burtonized". Now I wanna see it. One more chance, Burton.

On 'Edward Scissorhands', i had forgotten how much I disliked the whole "snowing" bit in the end. Just doesn't fit. The rest of the movie is gold, but the ice carving and snow coulda been left on the cutting room floor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:43:18 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Yeah, they overdid the whole Magical Fairytale bit, but I still like Eddie Scissorfists too, I do. Great performances all around.

As to 'Dark Shadows'... I hate to be one of Those people: eh, I'm going to have to wait until video for this one!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:52:02 PM PDT
Yeah, I'll be waiting for video too. But I WILL be hiring it....as opposed to grabbing the copy of 'Django Unchained' that sits right next to it in the 'D' section of the vid store.......Ok, so maybe I'll be checking out the Tarantino first, but Burton will be next.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:02:10 AM PDT
David Harris says:
Dark Shadows = "The Guiding Light, now with darkness!" or "One Afterlife to Live" or "The Edge of Night - with more vampires!"

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:40:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 7:50:55 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Jonathan Frid has died.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/04/jonathan_frid_played_barnabas.html

RIP, Mr. Frid.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 7:55:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 7:58:23 AM PDT
David Harris says:
Oh... my...Zod... Was it something I said? Or did he see the trailer?

So sad. So... will this be good or bad publicity for the film?

R.I.P..... maybe. ;)

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 8:07:33 AM PDT
Kevin Myers says:
I loved Dark Shadows. I learned everything about classic horror and the occult from it as a kid. I have the entire DVD collection and have watched it. How could this be turned into a comedy and played for laughs? I bet they make a lot of money while they're trashing this iconic show.
Kevin Myers
Indiana

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 8:38:32 AM PDT
For many of us: how can you NOT treat it as a comedy?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:40:20 AM PDT
sundancekeed: Dick Clark and Jonathan Frid within days of each other.

RIP indeed!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:45:20 AM PDT
Byron says:
I found a listing for one Dark Shadows audio that Frid did just a couple of years ago called 'The Night Whispers'.

Whether the movie is good or bad at least it may give some renewed interest and a little exposure to the remaining original DS actors. It's too bad Frid didn't live long enough to make it to the movie premiere. I assume most of the others will be there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 9:31:11 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Jonathan Frid has died.

He probably saw the film.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 9:46:38 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
James N. Smith

Or the trailers showing on TV this morning. Those who keep insisting nothing about a movie's tone can be gleaned from a preview need to give it up. ALL trailers of Dark Shadows I've seen now show this movie to be a comedy, or at least something like The Addams Family movies. In the case of the Addams Family, though, the original show was a comedy.

R.I.P. Mr. Frid and thanks for the good memories.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 10:21:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 10:23:32 AM PDT
Cavardossi says:
"Those who keep insisting nothing about a movie's tone can be gleaned from a preview need to give it up."

It really is a rather ridiculous argument. Sure there have been misleading trailers in the past, but we're talking about outliers. Exceptions to the rule. It's rather like the silly argument people give for smoking when you tell them smoking can cause cancer. "Well my grandfather (fill in the blank) smoked 5 packs a day for 50 years and lived to be 95." Sure it may be true, but not for the majority.

If the Dark Shadows movie is not a comedy, than the trailer they released is tantamount to fraud. And you can judge if you wish to see something based on that amount of info. Now you can't predict if the film will be good or bad, but that's not the issue. If you do not wish to see a DS comedy, then you were sufficiently warned. Plain and simply. If you like comedy (even bad comedy) it may well be your cup of tea.

I honestly can't see why the people who like the trailer have such a problem with that notion. It's called freedom of choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 11:12:34 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
From the review I read by someone who saw the film, he said that the film has both genuine horror segments as well as lighter, more humorous ones. I believe that he said everything that happened up to Barnabas being cursed and entombed was played completely straight. When he wakes up in 1972, I believe it becomes a "fish out of water" story with both comedic and horror elements.

The only way anyone is going to know for sure whether or not it's any good is to see it. I probably will though I doubt it'll be during opening week.

Levon Helm is dying, Dick Clark passed yesterday and now Jonathan Frid. Not the best week, is it?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  996
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions