Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Buying used DVDs at Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 776-800 of 834 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:33:38 PM PDT
bgtaylor:

Thanks for all the dvd information. I was not aware of the way the machines play the discs, especially the dual layers. This should help me figure out whether there is a mark I can clean that might be affecting play. I never know where to look.

I will try the Windex as a last resort.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:38:41 PM PDT
"In all cases, no matter how good the CD sounds, I prefer the sound of the LP."

I tell people this and they ALL claim I am crazy--or so rooted in nostalgia it is affecting my judgement. To me lps sound --I don't know--does "warmer" make any sense? Smoother?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:42:36 PM PDT
Ustinov/Garroway:

On the Criterion "Spartacus" dvd there are a lot of extras involving Peter Ustinov, most of them hilarious. His story about how he and Olivier kept trying to upstage each other by talking slow is a gem!

I really liked Dave Garroway. He seemed like such a nice gentle man. If you had to wake up to anyone telling you the news, it was nice it was Garroway. When did "low key" and "soft spoken" disappear from tv commentators.

When Today hit the air with Garroway, the hosts were called "communicators". That sounds so quaint--and sort of sad--today.

Speaking of sad, Garroway committed suicide.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:44:48 PM PDT
warren b:

If you get JLTV (Jewish Life Television) they regularly show the old Soupy Sales shows, both the black and white sixties show and his color series of the seventies. Still funny. Stupid but funny.

Where is White Fang now that we need him?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:46:35 PM PDT
bgtaylor: I saw Carl Reiner talking about Your Show of Shows and he said that the amazing thing was that on tv in the fifties there we so many things you could NOT discuss, let alone make jokes about, like politics and sex, for instance, that its amazing they came up with 90 minutes of skits every week.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:58:00 PM PDT
cavardossi:

Go to Blade Runner discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 5:26:23 PM PDT
TAS: Before my hearing went,yes an LP had a smoother sound. The CD sounds sounder sharper to me. At least for me,a lot of people disagree with
me,but like it or not there is a big market in vinyl for all types of music. Blue Note,Verve, the jazz labels on vinyl are going for big bucks along
with early heavy metal and really far out stuff-all on vinyl. Now for the classical buffs I can not speak for them.
Soupy is available on a DVD box set,even with his stamp of approval before he died.

I am way behind on movie watching on DVD or I should say TV watching on DVD.
Watching NYPD Blue on DVD now or trying to. There is a beautiful Seinfeld box set that I have but not got around to watching.
Yeah! and Ernie and Edie on DVD,Barney Miller and on and on not enough time left in my years for all this and books also.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 5:30:49 PM PDT
TAS; Even "Old Blue Eyes" had to get a pie in the face,got to be a thing with the big stars.
Live of course. In the box set or maybe a DVD of outtakes Soupy opened the door and there was a nude girl.
"Don't kiss!" Why it was funny I don't know but it was wildly popular then and even now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:21:41 PM PDT
As I see it says:
Chase,
You are out of line! your retort to Ramona was uncalled for, You posted an comment/inquiry and people responded, they are trying to be helpful. Name calling and saying they need to take their meds? Man, you are rude and immature! They don't have to partake in your dumbass problem, it's not that complicated that it needs outside help when you could solve it on your own.
Go On now and attack me! grrrrowl! I feel bad for your poor boyfriend or husband!!
YOU need to be on meds.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:45:38 PM PDT
TA Stith:

Do you remember the other show Dave Garroway hosted? "Wide Wide World" on NBC, every two weeks I believe, on Sunday afternoons, beginning in 1955. These were in the days before color and before videotape. The setup of the show was to have live video pickups from different parts of the country. No film was permitted -- it had to be a live television picture and sound.

He ended every program the same way -- by reciting the last lines of "Renaissance" by Edna St. Vincent Millay:

The World stands out on either side,
No wider than the heart is wide.
Above the Earth is stretched the sky,
No higher than the soul is high.

Garroway would then hold up his right hand as he always did at the end of the Today broadcasts and say: "Peace."

I read an interview with Dave Garroway many years before his death. He said then that he was determined to end his own life if he was ever faced with a degenerative or fatal disease.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:09:16 AM PDT
warren b re: Soupy

I was so surprised, after all these years, that Soupy was still funny. My favorite was always White Fang. (I would imitate what he says here but I don't know how to spell it!")

I don't why Soupy kept answering that darn door! It was ALWAYS something bad!

Do you remember his Saturday morning kids show? The funny thing is that it wasn't much different than his shows for adults!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:15:23 AM PDT
warren b:

I am glad I am not the only one who preferred the warmer sound of lps. I know most people think its the imagination, but I swear they sound that way to me.

NYPD Blue was a good show, but after Kelly left I kind of lost interest. That first season is clearly the best, I think. Amy Brennaman was terrific too, but she left soon after Caruso.

I remember Barney Miller as being one of the smartest, funniest sitcoms ever, and always with an edge of seriousness that gave it a real gravitas. I think it did more for the police departments of the country than all those "serious" cop shows.

I bet it holds up really well. Yes?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:22:24 AM PDT
charlie uniquely me:

Ramona is just about the nicest person I have encountered on these threads, certainly one of them anyway. I don't see how anyone could attack her. I even went back and read the posts you refer to and I don't understand his response at all. She was trying to be helpful. A personal attack was certainly uncalled for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:28:07 AM PDT
brucegtaylor:

Man, I had forgotten about "Peace". And, you know, with Garroway, it didn't seem like some kind image thing. You felt like he meant it.

I vaguely remember Wide World but, you know, I was a kid and Sunday afternoons were for being outside, not in front of the tv. Do you think it was designed to compete with "Omnibus", the Alastair Cook show? That I remember much more clearly.

I also remember Garroway doing occasional bits on a late night talk show in the sixties. It might have been the Les Crane Show? Once or twice a week Dave would come on an deliver a commentary about whatever was on his mind. I used to look forward to them.

Did he, in fact, contract a fatal disease? I seem to recall something about a spouse and/or a child dying also.

Its funny. A pioneer like Garroway could never survive--never get hired--in the high key, manic world of tv today, where insulting and humiliating people is preferred.

And don't forget J. FRED MUGGS!

Posted on May 25, 2012 11:32:26 AM PDT
TA Stith:

Apparently Dave Garroway was struggling with bouts of depression when his second wife died of a drug overdose, which put him into deeper depression. He shortly thereafter announced his resignation from the Today program.

On July 21, 1982, following heart surgery, he was found dead at his home from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

In those days of early TV, Sunday afternoons were devoted to culture (if you can believe that) rather than sports. CBS introduced Omnibus with Alistair Cooke, which moved to ABC on Sunday evenings and was finally picked up by NBC for Sunday afternoons in 1957. I believe Omnibus was followed by Wide Wide World on NBC, the latter of which ended in 1958.

It's interesting to consider the change in television programming content over the years and there are some interesting theories about it. After all, it is quite a distance from programs such as Omnibus and Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts to Dancing With the Stars and The Wheel of Fortune. One theory suggests that in its early days, 1949 to 1952, a television set was a comparatively high-priced luxury and was first purchased by high-income (well educated) customers and many programs were geared to that audience. There were several programs devoted to original plays written for live television production such as Westinghouse Studio One, The Philco Television Playhouse, Playhouse 90, The U.S. Steel Hour and the like along with a fair amount of "low-brow" entertainment. A weekly half-hour program sponsored by Firestone Tires was devoted to opera! "The Voice of Firestone." Remember that the early Ed Sullivan Show, originally called "Toast of the Town" featured opera singers and excerpts from Broadway Shows as often as it did jugglers and animal acts.

As the ownership of television sets became more widespread it was inevitable that programs appealing to "wider tastes" were going to predominate. At least that's one of the theories.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 1:15:27 PM PDT
bgtaylor:

Once again, you stirred my memory. Now I remember Garroway's bouts with Depression--and much less was known about it, and its treatment then. I recall thinking at the time he was too sensitive a person. At least he came across that way.

Man, I remember Omnibus presented Olivier's "Othello" almost simultaneous with its opening in theatres. Can you imagine THAT happening today? Those old black and white versions of the film still exist.

Your theory about the initial expense of tvs is interesting. And, of course, there was the initial concept of just moving radio shows to tv, which probably accounted for much of the "lowbrow" entertainment.

There is little doubt that original drama was lightyears ahead of today, fifty years ago. Marty, Patterns, Requiem for a Heavyweight, The Battler, Days of Wine and Roses--a far cry from all these obnoxious cop shows. At least kinescopes have survived of many of them.

I remember many, many "serious" music programs, regularly scheduled classical music shows. Heck even the 'variety' show, even a vaudeville selection like Sullivan had are completely gone.

Instead we have cops, precocious kids, invented contests, insulting "judges", hyperactive "reality", instant talentless "stars", "Happy" news...

There is a station here in town that advertises their morning show as "Morning news. Morning fun."

Morning news and morning fun.

I remember when "specials" were new versions of "The Tempest" or "MacBeth". How about "Play of the Week", the first exposure I ever had to Eugene O'Neill and Arthur Miller.

Remember when cable was supposed to rectify this situation? When the need for mass appeal would subside and individual cable stations would provide selected fare for smaller, specialized audiences?What happened to THAT?

Maybe its the appeal to the lowest common denominator--and maybe its just the Devolution of society.

Maybe its the people in charge keeping the riff raff distracted so they don't notice how badly their lives suck.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:11:07 PM PDT
TAS: Late night TV: Didn't Mike Wallace have a one one one late night interview show where he really ripped into people,the early,mean Mike.
Then there was another one call maybe "Open End" or something like that,it had no time limit since it was late,late a night. David Susskind or
I think that is close spelling.

A few cop shows like NYPD Blue were OK and Law and Order, but Bones,The Closer and a whole bunch I don't even care to check out.

Playhouse 90 always quality there and I was just a snotty teen but I knew that was good drama.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:13:45 PM PDT
Are you guys serious, morning news and morning fun!? Do they have a clown doing the weather and a magician pulling news bulletins out of his
top hat?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:22:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 2:26:57 PM PDT
Watching the first two seasons of NYPD Blue. They were the best. The producers had planned to kill off Andy then Caruso said I am too big
for this so they stayed with Dennis later ones were OK but I could have done without Andy S. having a love-life,twice no less.
With Barney Miller and Night Court you had a mix of people in a simple setting with no big,big stars so you were not distracted from the actors
lines and what little plot there was,it was people interacting not a complex plot line.
You can pick and choose used episodes from Amazon dealers,best way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:34:56 PM PDT
TA Stith:

In 1952 a 21" b&w tv was around $300.00, table model; $350.00 for a console.

Compare that with a pound of hamburg for .79; a gallon of gas for .19; a pair of men's shoes for $9.00.

In 1954, the first RCA color TV with a 10" screen went on sale for $1,000.
I bought a new 1966 Pontiac GTO for $2,800.00. That was the one with the body designed by DeLorean. Occasionally, I have a dream that I still have that car.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:49:07 PM PDT
warrenb: "Are you guys serious, morning news and morning fun!? Do they have a clown doing the weather and a magician pulling news bulletins out of his
top hat? "

I swear that IS their advertising slogan. I pass the billboard every day on my way to work!

Don't you like to get up in the morning, flip on the tv or open a newspaper for all that FUN stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:59:13 PM PDT
bgtaylor:

Might as well date myself: We got out first tv in, I think, 1954. The first thing I remember seeing was "Mr. Wizard". I can't believe my dad spent that much money on it. Maybe he had contacts in town. We didn't have color tv until well into the sixties, I am sure.

Funny. I just had a memory of looking through the neighbor's window at their tv!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:04:36 PM PDT
warren b:

Yeah, Susskind did Open End. In fact, my impression is that the enshrined Carson is largely responsible for the dumbing down of tv talk shows. At one time, talk shows were just that, interesting people talking to each other about interesting topics.

I remember a show called Arrest and Trial with Chuck Connors and Ben Gazzara (90 minutes) in which the first half was the crime and the arrest and the second half was the ensuing trial. There were all degrees of guilt and innocence and the outcome of the trial was sometimes in doubt, sometimes an inevitability.

I don't know if it would hold up but it was unique for the time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:08:40 PM PDT
warrenb:

I heard Caruso say that he had been offered $1 million for Kiss of Death and $3 million for Jade and he didn't know if the series would last, or if he would ever be offered that kind of money again and the producers refused to give him a leave of absence.

Kind of hard to blame him if that is the truth. He certainly was better than that joke of a show he's in now.

In fact, the storyline that ended in his quitting--and the very last scene of him leaving the police station, with the desk sergeant simply saying "good night",not realizing he wasn't coming back, was pretty powerful.

The first episode of Barney Miller that I always think of is when Gregory Sierra killed a suspect during a robbery and could not deal with it. I remember the episode ended with him sitting at his kitchen table crying. Tough content for a "comedy" series.
Your reply to Thomas A. Stith's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:55:50 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Thomas A. Stith

I, too, was a big fan of NYPD Blue and I consider it inexcusable that only the first four seasons have ever been released on DVD. I have them and would buy the remaining seasons immediately upon release if it ever happens. The company owning the rights, as I understand it, has replied to fans' inquiries about why there would be no more season releases with the statement that sales of the first four weren't as high as was hoped. I wonder about that. This was an immensely successful show that had over a decade's run; someone was watching, and it wasn't just me, for it to have lasted so long.

There is some reason to suspect that studio politics are behind the holdout, with ABC having some sort of enmity for the producer. Who cares, really? I just want the rest of NYPD Blue on little shiny discs sitting on my shelf so I can play whenever I'm in the mood.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
One Degree of Separation - Season Five 3117 54 minutes ago
Pick One of Two Then Pose Another Pairing.... 182 1 hour ago
Alibi Lounge II: Cast Iron 2437 1 hour ago
Even More Reviews on the Last Movie You Watched 4464 1 hour ago
Another Mass Shooting in Orlando over 50 dead.... 180 1 hour ago
Movies That Historical Figures Would Watch 73 4 hours ago
60s film and TV and later remakes and reboots--good and bad. 76 4 hours ago
Mash the movie was actually written by communists and the TV was very left-wingish in not mentioning that North Korea started the war 43 5 hours ago
Documentary that you found facinating/interesting? 1071 5 hours ago
Revenge of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! 9987 7 hours ago
My Pagoda Is Your Pagoda 303 7 hours ago
Hollywood is evil 44 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2012
Latest post:  May 3, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions