Myra Lieberman

Soar, little swan, soar!

(Or should that be "sore"?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:15:05 AM PDT
CMcGhee- both! Thank you good friend.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:42:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 11:47:40 AM PDT
Myra Dear,

CMcGhee isn't the only one writing to you. You are much loved by several of us. As for myself, I NOW know who you are, and that you are very beautiful. I won't tell anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:57:10 AM PDT
Richard - you have no ideas how much your words mean to me. I Am very touched. I enjoy these posts so much. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 9:46:05 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Richard Rawls-

>>I NOW know who you are, and that you are very beautiful. I won't tell anyone.

>> I'll tell, I'll tell, MYRA IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! THE MOST BEAUTIFUL OF THE BEAUTIFULLEST!!! ;>)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:00:05 AM PDT
CMcGheeand Richard- oh God, really blew it. I thought you knew. I started my own studio with another dancer and we came back to help. You better be quiet or I can't post anymore, which means I will probably lose my sanity and won't be able to talk to non dancers who live in a much calmer world. PS you knew anyway! Please, please don't tell!!

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 1:02:56 AM PDT
Guys- all I need now is my picture again as a principal and my name in the program. I hope it's too late.
Misha

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:48:12 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- don't tell

Don't tell the world you're beautiful? Why? You know you is. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:52:09 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- all I need now is my picture again as a principal and my name in the program.

Whatever youi true needs are, may they be well met. My current needs include rereading all the old classic horror stories. I've finished Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Dracula & am working on Frankenstein. It's been a half century since I read these & it's nice going down nightmemory lane.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:36:39 AM PDT
CMcGhee- no, who I is . Believe me the pictures in the flyers are old, and we are older and don't quite look that way anymore. It is annoying that they continue to list people that gave left and leave out people who returned to help. Probably to confuse the public which is fine by me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:40:24 AM PDT
CMcGhee- ah reading, oh how I miss it. At the end of the season I won't tour with the group and will read everything I've been to tired to read. I am an obsessive reader . Bliss!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:51:24 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- and we are older and don't quite look that way anymore.

Never let the mirror enter the minds eye! To quote from Frank Herberts DUNE trilogy- during a mystical mental joining between the Lady Jessica & the Fremens Reverend Mother, Jessica was astounded to note that the Reverand Mother (an old desiccated person) still saw herself as a young girl in her mind. The Reverend Mother told Jessica, "Yes, that is me as I am." :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 9:52:38 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Lieberman- reading

I'm feeling an Edgar Allen Poe coming on.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 4:47:31 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
In our minds we are always younger than we look.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:02:34 PM PDT
Cav- so true. Though, I know in my picture I looked much younger but so did everyone else. Most importantly, it is best to feel younger than you are . Sometimes the assumption of a person behaving or believing a certain way due to age is ridiculous. One of my idols, Julie Kent is about 46. She is beautiful and graceful and a wonderful dancer. Ethan is in his late thirties and Gilliam about 35. This, in the dance world is unusual. I fear out greatest ones will soon lost.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 3:49:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 3:50:17 AM PDT
thanks for the movie recommendations.

I watched "Bringing Balanchine Back" and enjoyed it very much. "Making Ballet" was also interesting, but as I didn't like the ballet itself, that took away part of the enjoyment.

However, seeing how a ballet is choreographed was very interesting. I found it slightly amusing that the principal dancers got all the attention (rightly so) and the best props, while the understudy was left to her own devices to learn the dance in the background. Also, dancers much have a specialized memory. How else to explain their memory for all the movements. Choregraphers tell them, for example, to turn their head a certain way, or tuck their chin (or elongate it) and in the middle of everything else going on with their bodies, they remember that direction as well.

I was very impressed from that perspective.

These two films were super interesting, so thanks again. I enjoyed Balanchine more, but as an education for a non-dancer, Making Ballet was fascinating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:49:05 PM PDT
Mischief Girl- I didn't like that ballet either. If you have Netflix, you could watch "Etoiles" which shows the Paris Opera Ballet in rehearsal and then on stage. It helps to see them together. Hierarchy in a company is a shame but watching as an understudy is more important than it seems. I will let you in on a secret. Early on, a dancer learns to do the correction, but, keeps a journal where it is soon noted. Sometimes, after a lot of experience , subtle changes become natural. But, don't be fooled, we don't dare forget. Even now, the sound of a clap ( meaning a mistake) makes me cringe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:48:23 PM PDT
I will get Etoiles into the Netflix queue.

Yes, Peter Martins was pretty brutal with his triple clap when young Alexandra was practicing in the Balanchine documentary. Ultimately, she did not perform that evening. My heart bled for her, though, because it must be soooo intimidating to perform for the Director and with the entire company watching you as well.

Given your experience in a company, Myra, would the company be wishing for her to get it together and do well, or would they enjoy seeing her struggle?

Thanks for the inside info that corrections (and, I assume) other information goes into a journal. I was dead impressed with how the dancers keep all the movements together.

Myra, you have been a wealth of information for me, which helps me appreciate the art of ballet even more than I already did. I did not know any of the arm movements in Swan Lake mimicked a real swan; I will view that ballet with a different perspective next time I see it.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 10:45:24 PM PDT
MG- what most know on this thread is that I don't use my formal name. Please call me Michele. Thank you for your kind words. I am a professional dancer for a major company but they do not approve of us posting ourselves without company approval. So, I need to be careful. In my opinion, NYC Ballet( not my company) is difficult to describe. It is large with very young dancers who are very competitive. I hope they were sympathetic, but, no way to be sure. There is a lot of competition for roles. But, it's not like Black Swan. That was over the top .It takes some maturity to deal with that criticism and thick skin. If you let it get to you , it causes you to panic and make mistakes. You learn ( it's not easy) to deal with it. As I remember, she came back and did great in her Western Symphony role.I liked that piece but am not a fan of Balanchine. It's individual taste. I am classically trained and prefer the three act ballets. They are tough and require stamina which recommend with experience. I also like some of the contemporary pieces. You will see them on Etoiles. This season we did include different repertoire , unusual for this time. We end with Swan Lake. If you were following our discussions , we discussed it at length. Several of us left in the fall but came back Spring Season to help due to dancer injuries. A couple of dancers were promoted and cast in the lead but are struggling. I am now 30 and these roles become more difficult. i am still not sure if I have to dance the lead yet and am waiting . I have to prepare but I have danced it before and it is a killer. Still, I love it, but, don't want this role if a young dancer under pressure is dropped . I get no satisfaction from that. We aren't that way and try to support each other. It is good you are interested in watching rehearsals because it helps to see how tough it is. But, watching Etoiles, you will see the best of the best. To dance in Paris would be a dream come true.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 6:32:31 PM PDT
McGhee and Richard- Ahhhhh!!!
Michele

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 6:59:30 PM PDT
Mischief Girl,

Click on my name above. It will take you to my Amazon profile where you will find my email address. I would love to communicate with you via email.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:52:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 5:57:41 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
The most recent TIME magazine has an article on the new popularity of ballet classes for boys. It says that boys take to dance more when they aren't in classes with girls. Their reasons for liking the lessons vary from some wanting to dance and others who feel it helps their athletic abilities. Also, the stigma of ballet being for sissies is diminishing, probably due to the presence of male dancers in music videos, rock shows, and tv shows like Dancing With the Stars. What a nice development this is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 8:04:55 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Myra Liebermann- Ahhhhh!

:) I'm very happy, enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 2:21:44 PM PDT
CMcGhee- Where are you. You have been my rock. I'm on tomorrow night as the lead and the new dancer is going theWed matinee .Gillisn is on at night si she is right after me Great, I will look Advil compared to her. If that wasn't bad enough, Angel ( from the movie) is retiring Snd his last performance is Thursday. It's a mess. People are having to dance two performances. If that dancer struggles, she won't be on Fri night so I might have to cover. People are scrambling. I need a poem!!! Actually, we. Always manage to pull together if need be but now the company is in real trouble. People want to see a final performance and everything I'd sold out so no switching. The biggest worry is Angel is going back to Sosin to his own new company and we could lose some of our best dancer's if the go with him. Oh God what a mess.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 3:01:47 PM PDT
maiden pa. says:
the bandwagon.cyd charisse.the red shoes also and dr. coppelius.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  1067
Initial post:  May 24, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions