Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am OUTRAGED! Burton's "Dark Shadows" is a comedy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 926-950 of 996 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:47:59 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Shame of it is that when the review I heard on NPR described the plot, I thought it sounded pretty good. But they said that Johnny Depp just seems like a weird child, the rest of the cast is under-utilized, and a lot of the humor is low-brow.

This is not going to attract new fans, and will turn off fans of the original show. Poor strategy in film-making.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:54:49 AM PDT
"Weird child" sounds a lot like what Depp did with his portrayal of Willy Wonka, which I also did not care for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 3:58:03 PM PDT

The reviews are fairly mixed. Actually, most of the reviews have been mostly positive on Metacritic (which, unlike Rotten Tomatoes, doesn't include scores of snarkful bloggers in its overall score of "critics".)

Here are a couple semi-credible movie reviewers and what they have to say about DS:

- Peter Bradshaw -

>"This really is a reasonably, moderately, whelmingly good film."<

You see, it whelmed him. Not over or under, just straight down the middle. He gave it 3 out of 5 stars. So, reasonably above average.

One of the paragraphs that almost puts it over in the "I want to see it in the theater" category:

>"Little dashes and touches of comedy in Grahame-Smith's dialogue keep the movie ticking over. Depp's Barnabas is part fastidious, part baffled, when 10-year-old David points to his 15-year-old cousin over dinner and snitchingly announces: "Carolyn touches herself - and makes a noise like a kitten!" And when he needs to have the blood swabbed away from his mouth, Barnabas brusquely orders Willie: "Cleanse me, miscreant!" The shabby-patrician stylishness of Barnabas is neatly matched by the mansion itself, described by its master as a matchless fusion of "European elegance and American enterprise", and the floor tiling-design wittily alludes to the sea from which their family riches spring. There are many portraits of Barnabas on the walls, an indulgence Angelique incidentally shares. She appears to have been painted by Wyndham Lewis."<

- Steven Rea -

Posted on May 15, 2012 4:17:11 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
This week's Newsweek has a full page article on the film that isn't exactly a review. It all ends up making Dark Shadows sound more, rather than less, interesting, though Burton seems not to understand the film himself. What hath Burton wrought?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 6:05:48 AM PDT
Well they'd better start using every tool in their marketing arsenal, because it doesn't take a lot of lukewarm reviews to sink a picture these days.

Funny you can tell when studios actually think they've got a winner. You didn't see nearly this effort from Disney for John Carter, and it wasn't a terrible film at all.

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:46:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 6:49:50 AM PDT
I was only 1 years old when dark shadows started, so i did not rush home from school to watch it...but i have watched it 6 times all the way thru and am almost thru the 7th time, as i check out my limited edition coffin boxset...dark shadows was a classic in the sense that 45 years later it still has a very loyal fan is classic tv from the 60's...not many shows can say, that 45 years later, people are still crazy over it (star trek is one that can)...dark shadows was a world unto itself ... a perfect place to escape to....I have waited 4 years for this movie and when i saw the trailer the first day it came out, I was a little shocked but I still want to see it (on saturday i will) I know it is not MY dark shadows, it is a remake, and i will go to the movies expecting it to be exactly that... i will go for fun , which is why you go to the movies. we can not be outraged by someones own interpretation of something, someone elses creative thoughts. If anyone hates the movie it doesnt matter...we still have the original and no one can ever take that away from us.

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:08:32 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Tina M. Wildcat

Do you mind if I ask you just how heavy that complete series coffin box is? I am kind of interested in buying it but need to be mindful of the weight of anything I lift.

Nice post, by the way.

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:43:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 9:46:33 AM PDT
hi cavardossi....thank feels like about 10's really the coolest complete boxset i ever bought....well worth the price considering that you would pay over $1600 to buy the separate boxes.( i paid $413 here on amazon)

Posted on May 16, 2012 1:30:22 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Tina M. Wildcat

Thanks for that info. 10 pounds would be several too many for the state of my back these days, but it occurs to me that I could open the package just inside the front door, remove half of the boxes, carry the remainder to where I want to keep the set, and then go back, gather the others and put them back in the box. There's a way to do anything worth while.

Original Dark Shadows - yum, yum!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 6:38:06 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Could you hire one of the neighborhood kids as a sherpa and pay them in gum? Worth a thought . . .:p

Posted on May 16, 2012 6:57:17 PM PDT
well be careful with that...those cases are dont want your dvds to fall out and get scratched up !

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 7:42:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 10:48:56 AM PDT
KatieHepburn says:

I agree with you on so many things, but this isn't one of them. I remember when I was very young, watching 'Dark Shadows' at our neighbors house and wondering what in the world was going on. Later, as I 'matured' (too bad we can't use italics for effects), I tried it again. Really! My friends really loved it. Couldn't do it. Guess I'm odd. Now I've been watching Depp, who I really like in certain films and don't in others, on the trailers for this remake and I find myself having a sort of happy happy bubbly visceral-like clown (and I hate clowns) laugh attempting to percolate itself to the surface. SO! Should I go to see this film, I'm just a little afeared that I may projectile belly laugh and cry so hard the ushers will pusher me out. It's been awhile since I've had a good laugh.

Please forgive me if I offended anybody. That is certainly not my intent!!! Just giving my perspective, you know. Just sayin'...

A day has passed and I've reread my post. Ray Charles is crooning in my earbuds. James, you asked the question: "I am curious, for people who just didn't like the original DS, why even bother to go see any incarnation of a series that had little to no appeal to you regardless of the director except to see it deconstructed? Also if, as it has been reported, it tries to stay too faithful to the original, again why go since you hated the original? Either way it seems like a tremendous waste of money."

That is what I responded to. All those years ago, trying to 'fit in with' my peers and relating to this series, among a few other odd things in life (like wearing bras -didn't really need one for a long long time) things like this remake have a funny effect on me (like the one described above). Not necessarily the bra one, need it now after five kids, rather depressing... I can understand loyalty and appreciation of certain genres and specific films or series attached. There have been books I've read that have had the 'spirit' totally butchered in the making of the film - great old books, wonderful contemporary books.

So, in conclusion, I am oddly attracted to this movie in order to have a good laugh and resolve some old issues. Maybe there are others who have a similar psycopathy to mine? Hope that better 'splains me.

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:07:48 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:

Great suggestion, except that in the over twenty years I've lived here, I've never seen any teenagers or even kids around 11 or 12. All I ever see are families with babies, toddlers, and kids who look like they couldn't be older than 8 or 9. I live in a town legendary for its families, yet I never see teenagers unless I go to one of the malls. It's a mystery that has puzzled me for two decades. Maybe all the families move as their oldest kid is about to enter puberty. This is a nice neighborhood so I can't imagine why they would do that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 8:12:22 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Teens might be too captivated by a coffin box and might abscond with it . . .You should go with one of the 8- or 9-year-olds . . . a third or fourth grader can lift 10 pounds, no problem. :P

Posted on May 19, 2012 12:44:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 12:46:05 PM PDT
I just came back from seeing dark was good but had the gothic atmosphere and secret rooms and passageways i wanted...i giggled at things that werent really funny (just like i do when watching the original)...a few things happened that i was not expecting...all in all i come to the conclusion that this was just another parallel time line that we did not get to see in the original.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 12:57:31 PM PDT
K. Pettet says:
I thought so too until I watched it. It was VERY good- and not all that spoofy at all, in fact I could not even tell you now which parts I thought they were going to ruin with comedy now after seeing the trailer I was ready to scream the same as you, but watching it I was pleasantly surprised and glad I went to see it.

Posted on May 19, 2012 1:21:25 PM PDT
I was a huge fan of the original series, loved the 1991 remake and I absolutely loved the new Burton movie, I thought it was fun and although somewhat of a farce on the original, it was done lovingly and more as a comical tribute to the have to realize, that without these attempts to bring these shows into current times they could be long forgotten....the movie remake has brought great interest to the original series, to NEW fans that had never even heard of Dark Shadows, in that light, could this really be a BAD thing in the big picture?? Jonathan Frid, David Selby, Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott all have cameos in the film and the positive feedback they gave after seeing the screener SHOULD say something to the fans out there....give the movie a try, it really isn't so bad, and even if you think the plot is thin and the facts of some of the story lines changed....visually it is a VERY beautiful film....just take it for what it is and marvel in the fact that over 40 years later, Dark Shadows has found a new generation to thrill....

Posted on May 19, 2012 3:55:29 PM PDT
tina wildcat says:
my daughter who is 20 and who watched dark shadows with me all the way thru 2 times (of my 7 times) starting at age 6...saw the trailer at the movies with her friend who said "oh im not gonna see that movie...theyre making fun of twilight !" my daughter just looked at her and said "no theyre not" evidently this younger generation still has no idea about dark shadows.

Posted on May 19, 2012 3:55:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 3:56:45 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Tina M. Wildcat, K. Pettit, and Music Fan-atic

Thanks, folks, this sounds more than promising. Maybe the movie will turn out to be a hit, which could only help the continued survival of the original, not to mention being diverting in and of itself.

Posted on May 19, 2012 4:26:16 PM PDT
chuck70 says:
i'm not outraged about it being a comedy but, i wish it wasn't.............i like all the others would have liked it done straight...........i liked it just would have liked it if they did a straighter version......would have been great instead of just good.

Posted on May 19, 2012 5:29:17 PM PDT
yes it was beautiful visually and i love that part of it...but the way it ended seems like they will make a part 2...i think they should just leave it the way it ended and be done with it...a sequel might end up being lame and ruin the good that they did here with this one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:03:15 PM PDT
Considering the budget was well in access of 125 million and it is languishing at $30 million right now, they will barely make back what they put into it....although it is the number two movie right now, it is unlikely there will be a sequel, although there was interest in doing a few more...if people would just give it a chance, it really wasn't that bad of a movie...I would like to see how they would continue it....from what I hear there was more than a half hour cut out for time which will be included in the blue ray version....

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:29:01 PM PDT
Yes, it's sad. Dark Shadows deserves better treatment.

Posted on May 20, 2012 9:54:07 AM PDT
missa lou says:
I was looking forward to the remaking of Dark Shadow. I cringed every time the actress Eva Green came on screen as the witch. I did not like her portrayal at all and it ruined the movie for me. Taking her out of my rating, it still was only OK. Nothing spectacular and was not worth seeing in theater.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:04:27 AM PDT
K. Pettet says:
well, THAT sucks! more than a 1/2 an hour???! ruins the whole movie!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  996
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions