Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

101 Movie Cliches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 11, 2010 4:03:46 AM PST
Lulu says:
*If a guy's supposed to be a nerd, he wears glasses. Ditto if a girl's supposed to be unattractive: glasses. When the guy or girl is transformed from an ugly duckling to a swan, the glasses disappear. No mention of switching to contact lenses; apparently they were just wearing glasses for the heck of it, not to correct their vision or anything.

*Women in movies can't go shopping the way normal people do - they always do it in a montage involving an old-time Motown hit song, radiant smiles, cascades of laughter, and of course, the inevitable impromptu dance moves and fashion show on the sales floor.

*If a person is sad, they will stare out the window at the rain (there's that pesky rain again) and the rain streaming down the windows will reflect onto their face, and even though they're only crying on the inside, the rain makes it look like they're really crying, and isn't it artful? The first person to do this = golden. Everyone who copied it = hacks.

*TVs and radios will be turned on at the precise moment that a news bulletin crucial to the plot begins.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 5:49:56 AM PST
WriterGal says:
Lulu
Totally! LOL!
Another usually occurs toward the end of a rom-com. After a contrived misunderstanding, the hero or heroine will storm off. But later, the misunderstood party will be standing on a cliff or some other picturesque spot with the wind blowing through his or her perfectly coiffed locks. His or her love will come up behind him/her. The misunderstood party will slowly turn as the lover stammers through an apology. Afterward, one of them (usually the guy) will sweep the other into his arms and turn her once before the soul-searing kiss begins.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 6:30:36 AM PST
stevign says:
I've never understood how anyone can stand the ever annoying Chris Tucker but he is just the tip of the iceberg: Cop movies with a well know comedian as the hero's partner. Shouldn't knowing how to act be a prerequisite first? Enough already.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 6:52:34 AM PST
stevign says:
Webster's Dictionary: "Annoying Cliche"

Anything David Caruso does in CSI: Miami.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 7:01:54 AM PST
Burp says:
The bigger-than-life action hero becomes baby sitter... or dog walker... or he saves the whales... or he ends up in a pink, feminine outfit suggesting he's gay when we all know he can't be because he's a bigger-than-life action hero.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 7:08:33 AM PST
stevign says:
Example please.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 7:11:08 AM PST
Burp says:
The Tooth Fairy..... The Baby Sitter..... Kindergarten Cop.....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 7:17:08 AM PST
stevign says:
burb:

The only one I saw was Kindergarten Cop but that helped.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 7:18:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2010 7:19:05 AM PST
WriterGal says:
Don't forget Vin Diesel in The Pacifier. He didn't wear pink, but the kids made a fool of him by forcing him to sing and dance.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 7:23:43 AM PST
I cannot believe how often I see the super sexy female trying to seduce a clueless or nervously reluctant male. Is that a Hollywood nerd writer's wet dream? In my experience, it is almost always the other way around.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 7:27:25 AM PST
stevign says:
WriterGal:

Vin Diesel uses a pacifier? Now that's just creepy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 7:28:41 AM PST
WriterGal says:
That's our Vin!

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 7:48:56 AM PST
stevign says:
Saw a cop show on tv the other night where they were investigating a house of dominatrixes. All the male detectives turned to jelly and malleable puppies when the dominatrix would look at them; she even made two of them untie her leather boot laces when they were interviewing her as a suspect.

The joke would have been kinda funny if it would have been only one embarrassed detective but it was all of 'em and they kept the running joke throughout the entire episode. I guess this is what happens when you let Rosie O'Donnell write a script. Apparently Hollywierd like beating this dead horse (pun intended) over and over again when it comes to dominatrix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 8:01:21 AM PST
WriterGal says:
Wow. That's definitely beating a dead horse.
Another thing that's pretty much a cliche is the pairing of gorgeous leads: the tough female cop with the maverick non-cop (Castle, the Mentalist). Watch the sparks fly every week!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 8:18:32 AM PST
stevign says:
WriterGal:

Cliched yes but I can easily forgive The Mentalist b/c I really dig the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 8:43:28 AM PST
WriterGal says:
I like Castle and the Mentalist as well, which is why the issue came up. And the non-cop who is smarter than an entire force of veteran cops is a definite cliche.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:05:50 AM PST
And play with a duck that bites him on the face...let's not forget to give credit to the duck that emasculated Vin Diesel.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 11:08:43 AM PST
My all time annoying cliche...the hooker with the heart of gold, or the stripper who's trying to "pay her way through college"...never mind that they all look gorgeous and healthy. The few strippers/hookers I've gotten to know (however marginally) all looked like twelve miles of bad road, and usually were missing many, if not most, of their teeth....hardly hollywood material.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:12:48 AM PST
WriterGal says:
Elizabeth
Were you reading my mind?! I was going to add the hooker with the heart of gold!

This isn't a cliche per se, but I have to add the young person who moves to New York and gets a job at as a magazine editor/fashion designer/whatever and also immediately gets a great apartment in Manhattan that looks like a penthouse.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:22:28 AM PST
Amen to the second part. I have a few friends from high school that moved to new york, and even the ones that got decent jobs still lived in $2000/month rat holes with 6 other people, and ate ramen noodles for every meal. They also didn't know a single person under the age of 35 that had become an editor of ANYTHING right out of college. I am also tired in general of people in movies/tv shows that appear to either not work at all, or work in job that we all know pays squat, but somehow manage to afford tens of thousands of dollars in designer clothing (*coughcough*CarrieBradshaw*coughcough). Puh-leeze...even if you lived in someone's closet and didn't eat anything but garbage, you STILL wouldn't be able to afford those clothes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:26:27 AM PST
WriterGal says:
That's exactly why I added the apartment! :) I have friends in New York as well who have a ton of roommates and are in the $1500 rent range. They also work a ton of hours and can't afford even a Prada knock off.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 11:47:04 AM PST
how about the apprentice nun who just before actually becomming one decides to quit and marry the hero. Yeah I'll bet that happens all the time. Or the bad guys that get knocked out when the hero throws a basket of fruit at them. or every time a hero gets shot, it's always in the shoulder. he wears a sling for a few scenes, then he's perfectly okay. or cops always complaining about the paperwork. how come the bad guys never take the pass, knowing the good guys will cut them off in it if they don't? the bad guys always get shot and die, but the good guys only get flesh wounds. The bad guys are always heavy drinkers, but never seem to get too drunk to perform perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:50:57 AM PST
stevign says:
WriterGal:

In the case of the Patrick Jane I don't think it's a matter of being "smarter" but just having more insights than your garden variety detective. Jane's last job (which he actually grew up doing) required him to study human behavior, body language and psychology. As for Castle you're right, it's reaching and a bit cliche.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:51:26 AM PST
WriterGal says:
Or the person who is knocked unconscious from one punch on the chin.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2010 11:54:50 AM PST
WriterGal says:
stevign
True.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  208
Total posts:  1544
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2010
Latest post:  7 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions