Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Post an unpopular statement about a classic movie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1076-1100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 3, 2012 10:13:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 10:14:52 PM PDT
I've been reading this thread & decided I too, could put a few movies on the "it's crap" list.
I've got a bunch:

The Twilight series. Please can we just be done with this sickening "yes yes yes; no no no; I want you but it's oh so wrong. Pardon me may I hump your leg?" drama. Can you ever see these actors in any other role? Every other flick I've watched with these people in it, are just revising their pasty white, depressed teenager angst, hair shedding characters.
Avatar: Just like cowboys & Indians, except the Indians are cartoon camels that walk on two legs. Plot was typical, too bad the look of the whole film was spoiled by this fact. Humans just roll over everything, not caring about anything except getting the top dollar for some pointless rock that just HAPPENS to be under the walking camels village. seems like all plots are the same when it comes to sci-fi.
Terms of Endearment: I thought this movie was hilarious. People at the theater looked at me like had sneezed all over the president or something. Tears were flowing but not because of sappiness.
Pretty in Pink: I hate to be a traitor to my generation, but I hated this movie. If they made this movie now, someone would be toting a gun to school in it. Does anyone ever make the rich snotty kids actually feel remorse for their behavior? Only in the movies honey. Only in the movies.
I have a lot of others also but these are the top ones in my head at this time. The only other one I can make another comment on is Grizzly Man. If your going to live with grizzly bears, how can you NOT expect to get eaten? That's like living next to an active volcano and then wonder why you've got lava in your living room.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 12:21:45 AM PDT
stevign says:
lolol....Yeah, Savalas did a great job and Sutherland played "Oddball" to the hilt. What a great movie. Even Don Rickles was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 12:23:08 AM PDT
stevign says:
lolol....Funny how age will do that for ya.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 12:35:48 AM PDT
stevign says:
I have to agree with you about Avatar, it was Cameron's over-the-top politically Liberal statement and he wasn't even close to being subtle about it.

Terms of Endearment: I found the whole thing boring and don't get why people gush over it. Jack Nicholson has long been one of my top favorite actors but I wouldn't put that as one of his best movies.

Grizzly Man: Exactly. The guy was probably a great guy but he was also a fool. They should have named the movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:15:20 AM PDT
S. Lueck says:
re: "yes yes yes; no no no; I want you but it's oh so wrong. Pardon me may I hump your leg?"

For a second I thought maybe the movie version of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' was out already.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 5:31:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 5:31:49 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Sutherland's "Oddball" is the only thing about "Kelly's Heroes" which makes it remotely worth watching. But the character is a Sixties counter-culture hippie, who seems a fish out of water.

I haven't seen any of the "Twilight" films, and never intend to do so, but Kristen Stewart was very good as Joan Jett in "The Runaways".

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 7:19:27 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
Actually, I could take "M*A*S*H" or leave it. Generation-wise, it probably does go right over my head, what with all the "it's in Korea but it's really about Vietnam" thing and all those proto-hippies.

And, the merry band of surgical misfits don't commit any war crimes as such, except maybe doing operating under the influence.

It's well made, no argument there, and has a few good performances. But I don't really get why it's an object of worship among Altman cultists. He did better pictures, but he'll be remembered for this one.

For me? "M*A*S*H" was OK, but nothng special. I'm sure it was a very big deal when it came out. But it spawned the tiresome TV series, aka "The Passion of Saint Alda" for which it needs to do plenty penance.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 9:08:04 AM PDT
Everything the Cohen bothers do is trite and derivative.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 9:11:02 AM PDT
Caleb Kern says:
Many may consider the Wizard of Oz a classic, but frankly I find it creepy.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 12:34:30 PM PDT
I know I'm late for this, but I might as well hop on the Avatar hate bandwagon.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:03:26 PM PDT
Ace says:
The Godfather trilogy. I don't get why people are obsessed with the Mafia culture in movie form (ironically, when reading about the real gangsters, I can barely turn away). Just something that every guy but me appreciates, but they suck to me.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:38:06 PM PDT
I don't know about the Cohen brothers, but the Coen brothers are among the very few really interesting current American filmmakers. Thank goodness for them and Woody Allen.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 10:26:04 AM PDT
K. Gardner says:
Precious was the funniest comedy i have ever seen. When that psycho nailed that cow in the head i about wet myself .

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:52:43 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
John Ford is one of the greatest directors in movie history, but "Tobacco Road" (1941) is truly hard to take.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:26:24 AM PDT
I think the 1939 version of Goodbye Mr Chips with Robert Donat is actually inferior to the 1969 musical version with Peter O'Toole. It has always seemed to me to be a pale shadow of the later version, and Donat's Chips is nowhere near as rounded and 3 dimensional as O'Toole's portrayal.

I mean no disrespect to the 1939 film, but that's my honest impression - and has been since I first saw O'Toole's version at the age of 8 on a huge wide cinema screen.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 7:42:05 AM PDT
Nothing wrong with O'Toole, of course--but remaking that film in color and as as a musical simply vulgarizes and sentimentalizes it out of recognition.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:20:58 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
"The African Queen"--Charlie Allnut is not Bogart's best performance, by a long shot. He is much better in "The Maltese Falcon", "Casablanca", "Key Largo", "In A Lonely Place", "The Left Hand Of God", "The Caine Mutiny", and other pictures. Never a naturally warm or sympathetic character onscreen, Bogie seems forced and uncomfortable as good-guy Allnut. The movie is pretty simplistic and more than a little corny. The two main characters don't have much depth.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:25:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 6:25:52 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Director and friend John Huston got a much better performance out of him in the earlier "Treasure Of The Sierra Madre", as a man slowly consumed by greed and paranoia.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:27:56 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Bogie got his Oscar for his warmest, fuzziest, most unnatural role. Typical Hollywood.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 6:47:56 PM PDT
I really enjoy Bogie's turn in 'Dark Passage'.

And yeah, his unraveling in 'Treasure Of The Sierra Madre' is top shelf Bogart.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 1:03:34 PM PST
Laust Cawz says:
Three words: "Star Wars" SUCKS!!!!

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:25:55 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
"Smart Money" dates from 1931. I was thinking of the later "Brother Orchid". Another gangster send-up was "A Slight Case Of Murder" from 1938.
I apologize.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:32:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 1:36:59 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
I don't think Astaire and Rogers have much chemistry together. I believe they didn't particularly care for each other in real life. To me their movies are redeemed by the sets, the shiny black-and-white cinematography, and the classic tunes, more than the dancing.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:35:36 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
The ending of "Shutter Island" was one of the biggest cinematic letdowns I've ever experienced.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 7:03:30 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
The zither in "The Third Man" gets REALLY annoying, REALLY quickly.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  231
Total posts:  2321
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions