In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 9:45:43 PM PDT
After Raiders:

Jurassic Park - 9
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 71
Jaws - 75

+ Ark
- Park

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 10:39:33 PM PDT
Sorry, but I'll decline on this or any of the other thread games. There's nothing in the world more boring than scanning lists of movie titles that slowly evolve over time. I'd much rather read someone's opinions on something.

However, since this is a movie forum -- did anyone who watched the Academy Awards ceremony this year notice that the fifty piece orchestra that had been used since the first broadcast of this ceremony was replaced by four people sitting in a side theater box playing an electronic cello, a keybroard which I assume was a synthesizer, and electronic percussion setup and something else I couldn't identify.

I assume the producers of the show were pleased in not having to pay fifty trained musicians and were satisfied with the garbage that replaced them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:06:21 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
Haven't watched the Academy Awards for several years now (the last film I was really excited to see win was "Crash"). But with the general decline of the show over the years that I've been watching it, I'm saddened but hardly surprised to hear about the orchestra.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 10:58:00 AM PDT
Fascinus says:
BGT:Union -busting everywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 11:15:42 AM PDT
Lew Archer:

"Crash" for best picture? Everyone, apparently including Jack Nicholson who made the announcement, expected "Brokeback Mountain" to win. It had already won for "best director."

"Crash" was obviously a run for cover vote on the part of the academy, since, at least in those times, no film portraying and sympathetic to a homosexual relationship was going to win for "best picture."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 1:50:57 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Total Waste the 2012 Oscars. The musical group was Pharrell Williams, Sheila E., and Hans Zimmer. At first I thought, "nice, something different." Too bad they did nothing. Terrible! The only good thing of the WHOLE night was Woody winning for best original screenplay (for one of his weakest films no less) and Esperanza Spaulding's musical number.

All below from Wikipedia:

Hans Florian Zimmer (born 12 September 1957) is a German film composer and music producer. He has composed music for over 100 films, including award winning film scores for The Lion King (1994), Crimson Tide (1995), Gladiator (2000), The Last Samurai (2003), The Dark Knight (2008), and Inception (2010).

Sheila Escovedo (born December 12, 1957), known by her stage name Sheila E., is an American drummer and percussionist, perhaps best known for her work with Prince, George Duke and Ringo Starr.

Pharrell Williams (born April 5, 1973), professionally known as Pharrell, is an American rapper, singer, record producer, composer, and fashion designer. Williams and Chad Hugo make up the record production duo The Neptunes, producing hip hop and R&B music. He is also the lead vocalist and drummer of hip-hop band N.E.R.D.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 2:23:59 PM PDT
My guess is that the second oboist of the Academy Award orchestra had more musical knowledge than all of those three combined.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 2:41:14 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
After Gordo,

Jurassic Park - 8
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 72
Jaws - 75

+ Ark
- Park

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 2:41:42 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Spaulding was great though; bass and vocals. Might've been better if it were just a duo with Spaulding and Sheila E., or some other percussionist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 2:45:48 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
I saw Shelia E. when she was part of Ringo's All-Starr's one year.

She can really play those drums!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 10:18:21 PM PDT
After Lew:

Jurassic Park - 7
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 73
Jaws - 75

+ Park
- Ark

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 4:45:32 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
I predict that after man has conquered the solar system and manned flights are heading for the stars, this game will still be going!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 7:36:22 AM PDT
Cavardossi: Doesn't help matters much that Lew refuses to have a massive point drop. Why? Because it wouldn't be fair for the other voters that may be fans of Jurassic Park or Raider or Jaws, even though if either one is voted off the hard way, it means this is going to be a complete waste of time, and it's nobody's fault but their own if they show up late.

Actually, Lew could devote the remaining 3 months or so to Jaws's elimination for all I care; I'm sticking around to eliminate Jurassic Park and then I'm going. But at least I got him to help me out here so this can go much faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 4:45:06 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
after Gordo,

Jurassic Park - 6
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 74
Jaws - 75

+Raiders+
--J. Park--

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 10:31:34 PM PDT
After Lew:

Jurassic Park - 5
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 75
Jaws - 75

+ Ark
- Park

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 12:01:19 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
This is becoming painful to watch....like a car accident that you can't look away from....so let me help....

After Gordo

Jurassic Park - 4
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 75
Jaws - 76

Plus Jaws
MinusPark

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 12:09:42 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Oh the humanity! I can, on the other hand, look away.
So I guess that means *I'm* my own man! Where's Cali-co at!? -- I'm desperately seeking his approval.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 12:12:42 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Is it just me, or is it ironic that someone called "California Couple" is laying charges of me not being "my own man." Or is his wife telling him what to type?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 12:20:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 12:22:49 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
It was more rusty, rattling noise from a projector breaking down, sounded like to me.
Not sure the wifey was ever in the picture as far as the forum goes. I always hear a distinctly male "voice" when I read Cali-co's stuff. I could be mistaken. Maybe the Missus handles the review duties, and the Mister takes care of the games and commentary.
Fascinating stuff. Keeps me awake at nights wondering. . . . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 1:13:40 AM PDT
Lew Archer says:
Oh, jonny, jonny, jonny!

I wondered whether or not you'd be able to stand by and watch "Jaws" not win this, or eat your pride and come CRAWLING BACK to vote again!

But jonny, I thought this game was "OVER"?????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 1:15:52 AM PDT
Lew Archer says:
after little jonny's "sidekick",

Jurassic Park - 4
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 76
Jaws - 75

+Raiders+
---Jaws---

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 1:23:25 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Lew calls out "Jonny"

I look behind me to see who the hell he's talking to. No one there. I look back at Lew. He's laughing maniacally, scaring me. I think "Should I just run away." Instead, I just back up slowly, never turning my back. Finally, having reached the corner, I turn and bolt, leaving the madman and his creepy laughter behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 2:20:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 5, 2012 2:22:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:08:31 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Duel is Spielberg's best film (he only had a few that are any good at all) and should be everybody's 'favorite' Spielberg film.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  76
Total posts:  1324
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions