Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What persons of color would you like to see a film about?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 8:50:10 PM PST
Pauldog says:
"The Big Man...Clarence Clemons"

Yes - he certainly has priority in my book over that other Clarence, the one who snuck onto the Supreme Court. (The late Justice Marshall is rolling in his grave, I bet.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 12:44:50 AM PST
You're right about Grant Fuhr, nothing against "the blindside", but I'd personally find Fuhr's story to be more interesting particularly because of the hockey angle. Between something I've seen and something new, as the late Gene Siskel said, "I want to see people, and go places I haven't seen before."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 7:03:19 AM PST
stevign says:
Still, a movie of his life and walking in his shoes for a couple hours would not only be fun for us fans but a challenge for an actor.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 7:06:43 AM PST
stevign says:
http://www.louisthemovie.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 7:09:05 AM PST
J. Beaver says:
W.,

"So to imply that Hollywood avoids unflattering portraits of real-life black individuals is misinformed and outdated."

That wasn't my intention. I observed that not one of the previous posts in this thread mentioned any villains. If a realistic portrayal is what we're after, that side of the coin must be represented as well. Feel-good movies about poc coping with racism have become a trite cliche, with a universal tendency toward self-righteous sermonizing. Your example was a good one, but such stories are the exception. The thread so far seems to focus only on inspirational-type characters, and my point was that such a focus is merely another form of under-representation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 8:02:07 AM PST
stevign says:
A fair point for sure. Stories about villians can be just as interesting. Take for instance "There Will Be Blood", American Gangster, American Me and Training Day.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:16:31 AM PST
If there are any bad figures in history you particularly want to see films about please list them by all means. No one glamorizes villains better than Hollywood. We love our mafia figures, and old west gunfighters. I thought the Bumpy Gates film was a bit to melodramatic, I'd love to see Scorcessi tackle a film like that. Ridley Scott could have made a very good film in American Gangster, but like expected he didn't trust his clout enough to tell the story of this one guy, and had to tack on the story of the cop, which dragged the film to a halt whenever that story got screentime.

I guess some people might consider a film about Nat Turner a film about a villian. Written correctly he could certainly be an intriguing character study.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:58:26 AM PST
stevign says:
Speaking of Black American villians......is it too soon to suggest OJ Simpson? ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:05:49 AM PST
JR Fleming says:
JNS,
Nat Turner would make a great movie, doubt it will ever happen, too controversial. No matter how you approached the subject. Same reason you will probably never see a historical film on John Brown (though I would love to see that as well).

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:06:29 AM PST
Green Meanie says:
Sessue Hayakawa, the Very First Hollywood Heartthrob.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:07:05 AM PST
JR Fleming says:
steveign,
The soap opera to end all soap operas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:15:30 AM PST
stevign says:
Could be pretty interesting.

Wiki:
The strained relationship (with his father) drove the young Hayakawa to attempt seppuku (ritual suicide). One quiet night after dinner Hayakawa entered a garden shed on his parents' property, locked his favorite dog outside and spread a white sheet on the ground. To uphold his family's samurai tradition, Hayakawa stabbed himself in the abdomen more than 30 times.
The dog's barking alerted Hayakawa's family and his father smashed through the shed door with an axe in time to save his son

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:25:21 AM PST
stevign says:
So what you're saying is the directors of "Young & Restless," "General Hospital" and "Bold & Beautiful" need not apply?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 9:36:53 AM PST
JR Fleming says:
They might be the best choice...or maybe someone who had experience with Dark Shadows.
Seriously though, O.J. would make a great movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 10:42:50 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Seriously though, O.J. would make a great movie"

Once again, in the right hands I think it would too. I would like to see it done in a stylish film-noir manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 10:52:24 AM PST
stevign:

It'd be tough to do the O.J. story. He lost the civil case, but he was acquitted criminally. So if you did a film that depicted him as a murderer, he could conceivably sue your pants off, for libel, seems to me.

But maybe not. "Reversal of Fortune" finessed Claus von Bulow's possible guilt (though he too was acquitted) by presenting both sides of the story---one in which he was innocent. Von Bulow never sued.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:11:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 11:13:11 AM PST
stevign says:
Good point about "Reversal of Fortune" but do we know "why" he didn't sue? If it were "my" movie I have Saul defend O.J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBeQO1nBThQ

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:12:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 11:13:44 AM PST
Been thinking about the idea of villians. If all things were equal a balancing act of films about good people and bad people sounds great if you don't take into consideration that films are not seen in a vaccuum. They are seen inside of a culture. The fact is most films do portray both sides of the coin. Consider Mister in "The Color Purple" He is clearly shown to be a dispicable character, although he is given a degree of redemption by the end. Oprah has produced quite a few films in which black men are really made out to be terrible characters (Brewster Place). Let's not forget that Precious' problem stem from a terrible father who rapes her. For a long time the only role you could get in Hollywood if you were black was the role of a thug, drug dealer, pimp etc. And we aren't talking about particularly interesting characters like Denzel's cop in Training Day.

The point is if Hollywood actually depicted "poc" villians in the same manner in which they did biopic's of . . . well you know. I think a lot of white movie goers would have a serious problem with it. When it comes to p.o.c. we tend to want absolute accuracy whereas films take liberties all the time. Usually when Hollywood makes movies about bad people the movies are generally written to make you sympathize with the characters no matter what history tells you about them. Bonnie & Clyde is the classic example. It started with the casting. Sorry but Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway are not spot on casting if you look at a picture of the actual B & C. By the end of that film you're actually made to feel that law enforcement was a bunch of sorry dogs for gunning them down the way they did. Take a look at the film Bugsy. Look, he didn't get that name by chance, yet the film makes you want him to succeed. You can name picture after picture where this strategy is used. Dillinger, Goodfellas, the film that kinda' sparked this topic, Raging Bull. If you were to do a p.o.c. actual bad character in this manner can you imagine the uproar it would make?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:18:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 11:19:16 AM PST
I don't know why Claus didn't sue. I suspect the filmmakers were advised about the precise degree to which they could "speculate" about the events of that night. But we saw two scenarios, and in one of them Claus was shown doing the deed. Unless they then went on to clarify that this was NOT what actually happened---and the film does not do this---I can't see why he couldn't have won a lawsuit.

I myself believed he was innocent. Sunny was a medications freak. Truman Capote, a close pal, was ready to testify that she was exactly the type who would have given herself an accidental overdose of a drug. But he died before he was called to testify. Truman wouldn't have lied to protect Claus, he didn't know him, he knew Sunny. So I think Claus's version of the events of that night was plausible.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:24:30 AM PST
Clearly understand me, I'm not nixing or naysaying the idea. I'm just pointing out an aspect that needs to be considered and looking at all the angles as so many people are wont to do with topics such as this.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:32:30 AM PST
I think a bio-pic that conflated the Clarence Clemons and the Clarence Thomas stories into one would be very popular. Imagine a sax player in a rock band who gets on the Supreme Court!!! I'm trying to figure out the "Long D-ng Silver" angle, but give me time. I think this movie could win every Oscar, ever Golden Globe, every award possible. And the box office? Staggering!!!!

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:36:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 2:12:45 PM PST
7 & 7 IS says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDRJDETE0U&feature=colike
ANNA MAY WONG

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:43:17 AM PST
JR Fleming says:
JNS,
Valid point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:54:49 AM PST
stevign says:
Interesting. There was also some speculation that Howard Hughes was so pissed over The Carpetbaggers that he was going to sue. A really good movie and not much doubt (although there was some) as to who was who in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carpetbaggers

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:37:59 PM PST
TrueBrit says:
PAUL ROBESON.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  159
Total posts:  1204
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions