Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Blade Runner; A Discussion...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 178 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 17, 2012 4:57:11 PM PST
cavardossi:

You were right. I got the entire four disc set for the ridiculous price of $5. Now I don't have to worry about which version. They are all there, but I will watch Directors Cut first.

Thanks for all your help.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 4:58:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2012 5:03:36 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 5:02:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 5:05:41 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Thomas A. Stith

Oh, I see you answered while I was writing the above post, so ignore it.

I'm glad you bought the four disc set. Another great thing about it is you get the admired documentary on the making of the film that was produced for this and the BD/HD DVD collector's sets. Congratulations, I know you'll enjoy it.

I intend finishing the Director's Cut myself this evening and it was no bother at all to help. After all, we all just want to enjoy this great movie, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 6:24:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 6:24:56 PM PST
cavardossi:

I know there was the core of a really great movie there when I first saw it. I am hoping it has emerged in these versions. This way, with all four I can compare and contrast.

If nothing else, it should be entertaining.

Thanks again for going above and beyond to help me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 10:35:31 PM PST
You mentioned earlier that a friend said that there was some added gore....well, he was right, the VHS release had it when I had it as a teen....a few years ago I bought the DVD with all the cuts & I think the gore is in one of them, it is mainly the scene where Deckard shoots Pris....if I remember correctly...he shoots her 3 to 4 times as she is going into convulsions, also Roy smearing himself in her blood is a bit extended, can't remember which cut it was, but it is there.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 6:03:56 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Michael Pettinato

The scene in which Roy kills Tyrell also features extra gore as he pushes his fingers into the man's eyes. I still find that hard to watch.

As I said on a previous post, I believe this International Cut was the only version of Blade Runner available on VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, and CED until the arrival of the Director's Cut in the early 90s. This is the version that newcomers to the film saw as the movie's cult status grew. It was also the version that saw Blade Runner's release as one of the earliest DVDs to reach the market. The result of this is that the collector's five and four disc sets on DVD, BD, and HD DVD were the first time the original theatrical cut was available on home video. I wonder this hasn't occasioned more remarks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 12:55:51 AM PST
Cavardossi......I forgot about that scene....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 6:17:29 PM PST
michael pettinato re gore in Blade Runner

My friend swore that the scene with the inventor was much bloodier than the later versions too. When I get my set with the four versions I am going to be sure to check this out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 6:36:31 PM PST
Hi. I've yet to weigh in on my favorite movie of all time, "Bladerunner". I have alot to say. Anyway I believe the International Version is the one with the bloodier scene(s).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 3:58:52 PM PST
"Anyway I believe the International Version is the one with the bloodier scene(s)"

It becomes increasingly apparent that there is no definitive cut of this film. But I look forward to checking them all out when the set arrives.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:32:35 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Thomas A. Stith

This is a case of the definitive version of the film being the one you like best. I will hazard a guess that Scott now considers the Final Cut to be the definitive one since he was so involved with its restoration and changes, but my preference remains for the International Cut. That doesn't mean, though, that I can't enjoy the others as well. Frankly, as far as Blade Runner is concerned, I'll take it anyway it comes. Of course, with the sets that contain all four cuts, you never need be without any of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 4:45:27 PM PST
cavardossi:

I hope to have the set before long and I will let you know what I think. I can pretty well skip over the theatrical cut and then try the others. I like the longeurs of the film, the pacing, the ambience that I said felt like a visual tone poem so I will no doubt like the cut where these are preserved. I am not sure how they "fixed" the original bad ending, but I look forward to that.

And also to finding out what on earth the origami had to do with anything!

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 9:26:37 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Thomas A. Stith

Did you ever get your set and watch any of the cuts of BR? If so, I hope you will come back and let us know what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 10:39:30 PM PST
C. HOOTEN says:
Good question! I don't know, sometimes I really like it, and sometimes I'd rather watch Batty's face and the pain of discovering his own humanity being killed by "real" humans. It's a nice quote, but Hauer is truly masterful at conveying the power and agony and confusion such a being must feel. Anyone else?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 11:21:33 PM PST
C. HOOTEN says:
Thank you for starting this! I almost never look at reviews or dissections of my favorite movies, because too often people become mean-spirited and rant for the sake of ranting. Takes all the fun out of it for me!
I have loved this movie since it came out, late the same year as my first daughter was born. It's interesting to me to see how far into respectability the genre has come, as when I first started reading SF in the early 70's, it was the fringe of authorship and was never considered to be worthy of the moniker "literature." Being female, it was considered a complete waste of time to read science fiction, far more so than the somewhat tolerant attitude when the boys read it. Nevertheless, I was hooked; Silverberg, Heinlein, Clarke, Benford, Asimov, all the greats and not-so-greats.

Blade Runner was one of the first movies that took the genre seriously as its own class. Don't get me wrong, I loved Aliens, but it was a horror story that just happened to be in space. Philip K Dick was a wonderful, thoughtful author who reveled in the questions, and didn't care that much (until his later years) about answering them. While Blade Runner is not faithful to the story, it honors the questions that Dick posed: What is it that makes us human? How do we behave as stewards of the earth (this was just beginning to be asked in earnest at that time)? It was not a happy sweet story, so it couldn't have been a happy sweet movie and retained any of the original concerns regarded as central to the book. It's dark, creepy in a very cerebral way and the now-infamous tension on the set lent itself well to the heavy, drained atmosphere.

The "love" aspect between Ford and Young was something I never bought, and now I can see why. Sean Young was a very new, very green actor (she was only nineteen), and apparently went to Ford for advice far too often. Maybe she was a little nuts, maybe she was just a baby in her field, but she and Ford never had a chemistry I could feel. However, for me the dislike worked: I could understand the love/hate that Deckard would have felt, that he found her attractive, but she wasn't human, so how could he possibly feel this way?

By the way, in the Blu-Ray Director's cut, etc., the actors and Ridley Scott all said that Scott himself was a slavedriver, and was demanding in the extreme of everyone on his set. Everybody was miserable! It may have been a horrible experience to make, apparently for all concerned, but all of this went to make a beautifully crafted and darkly intellectual concept film.

Hauer as Roy Batty was a revelation to me, with his handsome expressive face so cold and hate-filled right up to the moment he realizes his own life reaching its end. He manages to say without words (in the non-voiced-over version) just how it feels to realize too late that humanity was always his, if only he could have embraced it. Isn't that the question we all struggle with? Maybe the only important one...

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 11:52:02 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
SFfangal

Have you seen Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, considered by many the greatest science fiction movie of them all? Perhaps you have, but since you didn't mention any titles earlier Alien, I was wondering. It's great to meet another science fiction, print and film, fan. There are a lot of us on this board.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 11:57:25 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I was just thinking, while watching the theatrical cut this evening, that Blade Runner's exterior scenes are lauded to the skies, and so they should be. But the various interiors are every bit as fascinating and shouldn't be overlooked. I am often struck by the cluttered look of Deckard's apartment, the claustrophobic effect of the dance club and Zora's dressing room, as well as the great spaces of Tyrell's massive apartment. Like everything else in the film, the interiors are also carefully thought out and carried through.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 2:30:33 AM PST
C. HOOTEN says:
Of course! Don't know why I didn't think of it! That was an amazing piece of film-making, and one that stands out even now. There weren't that many SF films that didn't rely on rather sad-sack monsters/aliens at that time. I remember reading John Varley's Millenium, which I loved, and then watching the film in absolute horror at the acting and the complete bastardization of the story. Has anyone read it? Or seen the movie?
Now that you have mentioned 2001, I can see why I like the movie Solaris so much. The stories don't have much in common, but something about the atmosphere reminds me of 2001. Ever seen it?
You are so right about the interiors of Blade Runner, they contribute so much to the sense of the internal environment of the characters.
It is really a treat to meet so many people who are well-informed as you say. I don't know about anyone else, but I was really disappointed in the eighties when suddenly almost everyone was writing sword and sorcery fantasy. Some were good, a few were great, but overall, it was a real downturn for SF.
I guess all this is a little off-topic for a Blade Runner site, but it's great to talk to intelligent people about an intelligent subject that for so many years, was either ignored or turned into space-westerns.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 1:54:18 PM PST
chasmcg says:
When I first saw this movie I loved it. I loved the original version released to theaters the best. Sean Young was beautiful in this. When Rutger killed his maker, to me it was an analogy of us and God. We loved life so much, how dare him kill us off. Subsequent viewings have lessened it's impact but the initial viewing was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 6:04:01 PM PDT
M. Gaudet says:
Ahead of its time.

Still even in the 90's where such science fiction was no longer cutting edge i don't see the film having enough mass appeal to not be a flop. The Matrix succeeded because of the explosions and action, plus the over the top kung fu and bullet time.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 5:57:50 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
M. Gaudet

So, you're saying even as long ago as the nineties audiences had been trained to expect only mindless frantic action and explosions? Thoughtful films had been driven from the screen even then? Today's video game approach to movie making is so boring and repetitive. In this context, you are actually complimenting Blade Runner by saying it would be a failure today.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:17:44 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
Having tuned past yet another showing of "Blade Runner the Talk-Over Cut" on AMC....

(1) What's with the big deal made of Deckard using his funky little home computer to magnify and enhance a picture of Zhora? It's cute, but he's already seen her picture back at One Police Plaza. The Tyrell Corporation must have more pics; they built her, after all. And Rick had no trouble recognizing Leon, after all.

(2) Why would it be so hard to tell a Nexus Six from an ordinary human? We've seen Roy and company dip their fingers in liquid nitrogen and then in boiling water, both without damage. There must be some pretty radical modifications and enhancements compared to normal human skin. I'd think a simple skin sample (or a DNA swab) would be plenty to distinguish a replicant from Joe Blow. Certainly easier than asking them questions about turtles and wasps and naked pictures in magazines.

(3) There are no cell phones in Future L.A.? Rick has to use a pay phone to call Rachel? We got flying cars, but no cell phones. Weird.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:11:56 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Like me, Deckard doesn't like cell phones and doesn't have one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 1:35:26 PM PDT
maybe cell phones went out of style by then...

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 3:00:09 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Michael Pettinato

We can only hope!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  178
Initial post:  May 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions