Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

✈ ☽ ✯ ☠ The Actors Game ☠☀ ☾✈

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:24:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 9:26:52 AM PDT
post Z

Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 6
David Niven - 7
Lawrence Olivier - 7
Robin Williams - 0 [next voter needs to add one]
Eric Bana - 5

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:25:42 AM PDT
Hall of Shame

Adam Sandler
Julie Adams
Robin Williams
Sandra Bullock
Tom Green
Tommy Wiseau

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:01:53 PM PDT
Top Cat says:
How about someone adds a controversial actor next. One that half the people love and half hate, like Nicole Kidman or Russell Crowe (boy, they sure do produce extreme reactions, those Aussies!)?

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:36:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 5:40:07 PM PDT
JBug says:
Let's test Mel Gibson's current popularity.
Who is Eric Banana?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:52:44 PM PDT
Top Cat says:
Re: Mad Mel
Yeah, that'll work!

Or another intense macho actor like Alec Baldwin, or Nick Nolte.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 6:40:47 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
After SA:

Eric Bana - 5
Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 5
Nicole Kidman - 5
David Niven - 7
Lawrence Olivier - 8

+ Olivier
- Cuba Gooding Jr. (love Jerry Maguire, but his career as of late really sucks)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:57:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 7:59:42 PM PDT
Eric Bana - 5
Edgar Buchanan - 4
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 5
Nicole Kidman - 5
David Niven - 7
Lawrence Olivier - 9

(Nice to see fellow Sir Alec fans on the Movie forum. A true chameleon-like actor if there ever was one.)

I don't know Eric Bana? Enlighten me please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:07:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 8:07:54 PM PDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS31FJO8_o

He played the bad guy in 'Star Trek'(2009), the kick-azz guy in 'Black Hawk Down', the main guy in 'Munich', the angry green guy in 'Hulk', the funny kickboxer guy in 'The Castle', the good guy in 'Troy', the aussie guy in 'Funny People', the killer/father guy in 'Hanna', the father/Romulus guy in 'Romulus, My Father', the card player guy in 'Lucky You', the time traveler guy in 'The Time Traveler's Wife', the finder of gold guy in 'The Nugget', and the complete nutter guy in 'Chopper'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:08:58 PM PDT
Thanks Sloany. Fairly newbie then I guess, no wonder I don't know him. Question is, is he any good?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:34:30 PM PDT
I reckon he is great. That's not just Aussie pride talking either.

But being an Aussie does give me more scope for seeing his talents. He started out as a comedian, doing stand-up and skit shows on tv. He popped up in a few little comedies down-under, but then had his break-out role in 'Chopper'. The whole country was shocked at the transformation of this guy. Anybody who had grown up watching him on the tellie could instantly see how talented he was. It's one of Australia's most talked about performances.

Since then, he has been up and down, but his high-points show the skill. Not to mention the fact that I have spoken to many an American that didn't even know he was an Aussie, so he's pretty good with accents too.

For his best work, I suggest first 'Chopper', then 'Munich', then 'Black Hawk Down' (in which he stands out, imo). He is good in the much-maligned 'Hulk', ably displayed the simmering wrath, and is also very good in 'Troy'. Also, he received 'Best Actor' nominations on the home front for his turn in 'Romulus, My Father'.

As you say, fairly newbie, so he isn't the venerated great like a Sir Alec Guinness, but he is bloody good at what does nonetheless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 9:41:26 PM PDT
Much obliged, I'll have to check out some of those films you mentioned then. I do like Aussie films, so maybe I'll give 'Chopper' a look-see first. =o)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:39:43 AM PDT
Top Cat says:
After the grateful Bana questioner,

Eric Bana - 5
Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 5
Nicole Kidman - 5
David Niven - 7
Lawrence Olivier - 8

+ Eddie Buch
- Larry-O

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 2:28:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 5:01:04 AM PDT
After Boris(hahahehehe),

Eric Bana - 6
Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 5
Nicole Kidman - 5
David Niven - 6
Lawrence Olivier - 8

Plus, as he's known in my house, Eric Ba-na-na
Minus Niven...for some reason I find that name suits him so well...scrunch up your face and say "Niven", like Seinfeld says "Newman"

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:18:52 AM PDT
Quexos says:
After Sloan

Eric Bana - 6
Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 4
Nicole Kidman - 5
David Niven - 7
Lawrence Olivier - 8

+ DN
- CBJr

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:43:29 AM PDT
I like Cuba Gooding Jr. It's a shame that he will be banished to the Hall Of Shame. I mean, it's not exactly his fault that he has to scrap and scrape at the bottom of the Hollywood food-pile for his meals. He's just basically fallen out of favour. It happens to a lot of good actors (Tom Berenger comes to mind).

Off the top of my head, his best work so far (imo) has been in 'Boyz N the Hood', 'Jerry Maguire', 'Gladiator' (1992), 'Judgement Night', 'As Good As It Gets', and I reckon he completely stole the show in 'Rat Race'.

In the name of Allah may he have the comeback of all comebacks and get the chance to show the talent.....Tom Berenger too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:48:06 AM PDT
I thought Robin Williams would be controversial :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:50:24 AM PDT
And he was Henry VIII in that movie with Scarlett Johanssen and Natalie Portman that I didn't watch.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:52:43 AM PDT
after quex

Eric Bana - 6
Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 3
Nicole Kidman - 5
David Niven - 7
Lawrence Olivier - 9

-Cuba
+Larry

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:57:56 AM PDT
Williams is good at what he does, but what he does is carried over into far too many roles and you know you're watching Robin Williams rather than the character he's portraying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:59:01 AM PDT
Top Cat says:
For my loot, Cuba Gooding Jr. gave a much better performance than Anthony Hopkins in 'Instinct', and I like Hopkins just fine (he was great in 'The Edge'.)

'Judgement Night' is another underrated performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:04:38 AM PDT
Top Cat says:
>Cilantron says:
"I thought Robin Williams would be controversial :("<

A few minutes ago, I happened to wander onto the Christianity forum, for the first time, and saw a baiting atheist's thread that said something like --"Give Proof of a Real Miracle" -- and for a moment, I considered the trollish response:
`The Continued Reality that Robin Williams Still Has a Career in Movies.`

I thought better against it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:04:47 AM PDT
I knew I liked you, Sloany! Anyone who's a fan of Berenger is a friend of mine.

I actually forgot about this game. I was surprised to see my one post from a few days ago.

As for Cuba ultimately being banished to the Hall of Shame, I don't think it makes him a bad actor. Any one actor is in a pool of 6 on here, and their up votes or down votes will all depend on who their competition is at the time they make the list.

I saw the great Alec Guiness on here. I will have to rewatch "Kind Hearts and Coronets" again. I love that film!

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:06:05 AM PDT
after Cilantron

Eric Bana - 6
Edgar Buchanan - 5
Cuba Gooding Jr. - 3
Nicole Kidman - 4
David Niven - 8
Lawrence Olivier - 9

-Nicole
+Niven

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:18:23 AM PDT
Yeah, Berenger is a bit of a fave of mine. 'Major League' helped that cause.

I reckon he started to fade just after 'Sniper'. Come to think of it, so did Billy Zane! He still got roles after that film, but the films weren't the headlining films from before this point. I think he still had 'Major League 2' to come, and 'Gettysburg' was kinda big, but not much big stuff followed.

But here's the thing: Just because he stopped getting big roles doesn't mean he hasn't earned the respect of filmgoers. Actors like Tom and Cuba may have fallen off the radar, but they still have good work in the bank. It's gotta count for something.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:19:55 AM PDT
"I considered the trollish response:`The Continued Reality that Robin Williams Still Has a Career in Movies.`"

I admire your restraint!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Movie Game! Ten Movies Where . . . (March 2015) 8149 14 minutes ago
Even More Reviews on the Last Movie You Watched 2714 45 minutes ago
Tell us about a film you love that most other people might have avoided or not heard about, and share why you're fond of it 60 56 minutes ago
Revenge of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! 7092 3 hours ago
Alibi Lounge II: Cast Iron 1961 3 hours ago
Hail, Caesar! -- a Movie Review 49 3 hours ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Four 9244 5 hours ago
TV Talk 3326 10 hours ago
British Detective Series II: International Mystery & Mayhem 117 14 hours ago
Your Favorite Tough Guys & Gals 1001 14 hours ago
Benny Hill considered funnier than Monty Python--get Hill films on amazon.com!!! 191 18 hours ago
101 Movie Cliches 1444 21 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  2016
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions