Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 8
Christopher Nolan - 20
Rob Reiner - 8
Ridley Scott -65

-1 Fincher, Nolan
+1 Capra, Miyazaki

A complete retrospective of Minnelli's films. Well, I suppose if you suffer from insomnia...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 7:21:07 AM PDT
Sloanverse: Like any sensible person, I respect good actions, and deplore bad ones.

Sirrah.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:44:07 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
After William:

Don Bluth - 7
James Cameron - 73
Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 8
Christopher Nolan - 20
Rob Reiner - 8
Ridley Scott -65

Bluth-2 (Bluth who?)
Cameron+2

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:51:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 7:54:59 AM PDT
Fascinus says:
After ZW:

Don Bluth - 7
James Cameron - 73
Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 8
Christopher Nolan - 20
Rob Reiner - 10
Ridley Scott -63
+ Reiner (Capra seems safely ensconced)
-Scott (because, despite some awful films, he's still done better work than most of the survivors)

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 8:17:58 AM PDT
Seamus Flynn says:
After Fascinus:

Don Bluth - 5
James Cameron - 75
Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 8
Christopher Nolan - 20
Rob Reiner - 10
Ridley Scott -63

Don Bluth - -2
James Cameron +2

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 12:20:42 PM PDT
John Nava says:
1992 and GLADIATOR stand out, but basically he's just a british technician making well-crafted but uninspiring movies for American audiences.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 2:23:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 2:24:54 PM PDT
Shoot, I got all you celebrity-viewers beat. I've seen--shopping or just prowling the streets-- Cary Grant ( baby store), James Stewart, Jack Nicholson with Angelica Huston (jewelry store), Jon Voight (video store), Kirk and Michael Douglas (deli), Tony Curtis, Anthony Hopkins (book store), James Arness (I ran out in front of his car!), Sally Field, William Conrad, Florinda Balkan (all at the same grocery store), John Saxon, Neil Diamond, Elton John (all in the same parking garage), Jimmy Durante, Donna Mills, Jennifer Jones (I had to convince her our elevator was safe), Genevieve Bujold (same elevator), Morey Amsterdam (in a wheelchair), Glenn Ford, Dane Clark, Jack Lemmon, Hal Holbrook (first celebrity I ever saw in person and the only ones who autograph I ever asked for), Raul Julia, Meryl Streep, Gabriel Dell, Stacy Keach, Charles Nelson Reilly (eat your heart out), Vincent Gardenia, Darrell Hickman (all backstage), Katherine Hepburn (sat next to her at "Amarcord?), John Cassvetes, Gena Rowlands, Mitchell Ryan, Herve Villachaize (even better than Charles Nelson Reilly, huh?), Charlton Heston, Russ Tamblyn and Amber Tamblyn (she was about six years old at the time)--and that's off the top of my head and doesn't count people I met at school like Wilder, Capra, Marty Ritt, Rueben Mamoulian, Russ Meyer, the legendary king of exploitation Dave Friedman--not to mention Harry Reams!

I thought of making a complete list, but I am getting a headache. I think I've lived too long.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:24:37 PM PDT
The Duellists showed great promise, but he never lived up to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:26:47 PM PDT
sloaniverse:

Sure glad you keep some version of "sloan" in there!

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:24:33 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
James Cameron.....Ridley Scott....waaaaaay out in front. I'm for calling this game. Either way, I'm over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:50:49 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Thomas A. Stith,

Yeah, you win, but that's no fair: you're the only one here who's been in Los Angeles for, like, forever.
I guess all the big shot actors ran the other way when I was in L.A. The only easily recognizable ones I scoped there were David Hyde Pierce, Matthew Modine, Mare Winningham, and Catherine Keener. Saw Mare at a record signing, so, not sure that counts. The rest of my actor/filmmaker-spotting-in-L.A. is a list of obscurities that few could appreciate (although, you, Thomas, with your Florinda Balkan and Vincent Gardenia sitings, might be able to appreciate some!)
I've seen more in San Francisco and down here in S. D.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 7:16:39 PM PDT
jack english says:
most overated director is.... francis coppola.......(got lucky with godfather)................the producers (al ruddy & gray frederickson).... & art director,(dean tavoularis & team, & camera team, (gordon willis,)..... & makeup man, dick smith, & team made this film the classic that it is....&(oh yeah,jack r.english/location mgr. on "godfather, part 2", helped a little.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 9:50:06 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
So, between creating fake accounts to cheat and troll versus putting a little number next to a name, you deem the latter worthy of note, yet the former not worth a mention?

Huh, Massa?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:10:47 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I was here to get Stanton off the list. I'm not sure what to do now that he's gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:16:57 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Ha! Yeah, pretty much same here. Andrew "Who Da Eff" Stanton didn't belong here.

You could join the ranks over at the 'Greatest Cult Film Game'. The list is long, but it's got some mightily cool flicks on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:28:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 10:30:18 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I'm probably going to take a week or so off from the games. Judging by the size of the cult film list, I doubt I will miss much in that time!

Unlike some people who think Wall-e was propaganda (epic people named gordan), I thought it was a brilliant movie, and Stanton has done way too few films to already be overrated. And I think I've made my point about my love for Jurassic Park in the Spielberg game. Do I think it'll win? I doubt it. Jaws could well be his best, but JP has always been my favorite.

By the way, I do think it's funny that the makers of the first two Alien films (Both are 4 out of 4 stars according to my tv info) are dominating the list here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:14:51 PM PDT
After Daniel Radcliffe:

Don Bluth - 5
James Cameron - 75
Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 10
Christopher Nolan - 18
Rob Reiner - 10
Ridley Scott -63

-2 Nolan
+2 Miyazaki (with the possible exception of some of his video games, I see very little merit in his films)

Alright, I would like to ask you guys a question: What do you guys think of David Lynch or Roman Polanski making the list? I will only include these guys if enough people can objectively say, ''They're overrated;'' specifically the most overrated directors of the bunch.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:41:51 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
After Nolan fan (and I think it's pointless to add Lynch &/or Polanski at this point, but Lynch would probably get a fair share of upvotes, not enough to make an impression compared to Cameron or Scott's scores, though,)

Don Bluth - 5
James Cameron - 75
Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 8
Christopher Nolan - 18
Rob Reiner - 10
Ridley Scott -65

-- Miyazaki (took awhile to catch fire internationally, largely UNDERrated before 'Mononoke', and that film hasn't maintained much of a high reputation.)
++ Scott (instant acclaim, resonating to this day for many, unjustly to me.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 6:17:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 28, 2013 6:54:47 PM PST]

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 8:42:35 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
After Zeph:

Don Bluth - 3
James Cameron - 77
Frank Capra - 17
David Fincher - 18
Hayao Miyazaki - 6
Christopher Nolan - 20
Rob Reiner - 10
Ridley Scott -65

Bluth-2
Cameron+2

Don who?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 10:43:39 AM PDT
JBAKER: RE: "Thomas, with your Florinda Balkan and Vincent Gardenia sitings, might be able to appreciate some"

Hey, Vincent Gardenia: TWO Oscar nominations and "All in the Family"! And, wow, Florinda Balkan. How much more exotically beautiful can you get? Actually, the Florinda Balkan story is kind of funny.

Saw some in New York, but the only celebrity I can think of I saw in San Francisco was Hal Holbrook. He was trying to help a friend parallel park his car in front of the restaurant. I was crazy about his series "The Senator" (I bet it holds up well if anyone would care to show it. What other tv series took on the Kent State murders?) at the time and it was just weird to see this guy trying to wave a car into a parking space! My companions--and the waitress--more or less forced me to go and get his autograph, a terrible experience I have never repeated.

I didn't know what to say so I told him I hoped he got re-elected. (His character's term was nearly up on the show.) They laughed but I am sure it was just politeness.

Oh, wait, last May when we were in SF I was looking out the window of our hotel room and saw Hugh Jackman emerging from his one-man show across the street and swamped by fans. Does that count?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 10:45:10 AM PDT
"most overated director is.... francis coppola"

1970's: Godfather, The Conversation, Godfather II, Apocalypse Now.

Few directors have had a decade like Coppola (and I am tempted to add 1969's The Rain People). He never lived up to that again,maybe he burned himself out, but that was some ten year run.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 11:06:32 AM PDT
Zolar: ''Don who?''

Yeah, maybe that might, in some twisted way, fly with Andrew Stanton, but a ton of people, and I mean an awful lot of people, know who Don Bluth was. I'll at least freely admit that his heyday expired following All Dogs Go to Heaven, but his last two films, Anastasia and Titan A.E., were both well regarded. And a ton of people have fond respect for An American Tale and The Land Before Time.

Really, the only reason why I'm not going to bother voting him up, besides the fact that there are worse directors on this list than him, is because he at least directed The Secret of NIMH which I am fond of; Titan A.E. is a guilty pleasure, and only a guilty pleasure. Overall though, he is the least regarded of the remaining directors.

James Cameron though, I can definitely vouch for. I liked Aliens and True Lies, not so much the Terminator films or The Abyss, and even less so Titanic and Avatar. Really, that means his record is 2 good films out of 6, and all 7 out of those 8 are highly regarded (I don't remember his first movie, but from what I've heard, it's pretty bad).

Frank Capra...the more I watch of his, the less I enjoy him. Granted, I still like It's a Wonderful Life, but as a guilty pleasure. It'd certainly wouldn't make my list of top 100 films of all time. Maybe top 500, but probably top 1000 (did I really see that many movies!? Probably...).

David Fincher: The quality of his films are so sporatic that I have a hard time telling the difference between a good movie and a bad movie. For every good movie like Se7en, The Zodiac, and The Social Network, he's directed stinkers like Alien 3, Fight Club, and Benjamin Button.

Hayao Miyazaki: Inspite of Kiki and Spirit, the only work he's done that I can say are legitamitely good are his video games. As far as movies are concerned, I have to agree with WAS, specifically with Princess Mononoke (albeit not to the same extremes as WAS).

Christopher Nolan: Probably the most talented of the remaining directors (followed by Ridley Scott and the random qualities of David Fincher). If not The Dark Knight, one should give him high props for directing Memento, The Prestige, and to a lesser extent, Inception. Regardless of what one thinks of his work, I personally found that he has yet to direct a truly bad film.

Rob Reiner: His ship has sunk a long time ago when he started directing North, and he followed that up with the heavily Democrat-favored American Presidents. Regardless of what one thinks of his films from Spinal Tap to A Few Good Men, he's barely respectable anymore anyways.

Ridley Scott: Probably underrated, but not terribly so. Frankly, I rather liked Robin Hood and Legend, and am looking forward to Prometheus (okay, okay; Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are becoming less watchable with each successive viewing, and Body of Lies was a real stinker). However, he has not directed anything worth strong praises since Thelma & Louise, and I do believe that the critical receptions of his more famous films are slowly diminishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 4:13:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 4:18:21 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
I'm not a fan of anyone remaining on this list. I'm simply voting down Bluth as the least offensive and the fact that he makes animated movies, which I really have no use for whatsoever. The other cartoon guy...couldn't care.

Nolan, Fincher and Scott are pretty much all the same to me, sort of the flavor-of-the-week at the multiplex thing, although each of them has made about 1 movie I liked. I've never like "It's a Wonderful Life" and cannot sit through it! Don't care for Capra. So, as these 4 seem to be so hightly praised, they are over praised.

Reiner; I've enjoyed a few of his movies, and frankly, he's not very highly rated as far as I can tell. I was hoping to vote him off, but encountered resistance, so quickly gave up.

Cameron makes me want to puke and I hate his movies. I could not be paid to sit through any of his movies again with the exception of "The Terminator" (and I've seen all those that you've listed, except "Avatar"). I would be happy if "The Terminator" was all he ever directed; if not for the catchphrase and Arnold's ascendency, the movie would've been a cool, B-ish, sci-fi cult film. People have come to expect too much from it, though, because it was directed by the King of the World, starred the future governor and had everybody saying the catchphrase for 20 years. It's a victim of its own success.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 9:55:30 PM PDT
John Nava says:
I meant 1492. Yes, THE DUELLISTS with the Harvster was an interesting film--especially for the 70s.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  1762
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions