Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Post an unpopular statement about a classic movie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 16, 2010 9:26:08 PM PST
K. DeV says:
Titanic - I wanted to barf. Geez what a lame movie. Who cared about either of these two people?
Caddyshack equally sucked, but only because it was so inherently stupid. Maybe if I had the I.Q. of an amoeba it would have made more sense.

Oh yeah, - THX 1138. I'm sorry, but that was as boring as a movie gets. Liked the effects and all; just didn't get the story. Must have been the amoeba in me. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 9:27:27 PM PST
stevign says:
bitter old guy:

re: "aside from the catch phrase, and the soundtrack, what makes this movie a classic?"

The questions it gave rise to. I suggest you read this, I believe it will help.

http://www.filmsite.org/twot.html

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:03:46 PM PST
Saving Private Ryan seems to be going for "The Dirty Dozen on Steroids" but it's also trying to be "All's Quiet On The Western Front"-war is awful, like the director's saying "See all this well-filmed glamorous violence! Isn't it a terrible thing!" The storyline was conventional and predictable. It's a well crafted movie, but I didn't think it could find a point to stick to.
Not that is matters. I love Lawrence of Arabia and I have friends who think there's never been a more boring movie.
I never understood why anybody cared about Night Of The Hunter.

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:06:11 PM PST
DJ Deathwish says:
I like how everyone is jumping into the spirit of the thread and posting their honest opinions about highly regarded movies and not caring what other people think, it's nice to see. And remember naysayers, these are just opinions, nobody's trolling and there is no offense meant, we're just airing opinions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 10:18:55 PM PST
Apathostic says:
"i think it needs some boobs and giant fighting robots"

2001 didn't have some boobs and giant fighting robots? I'm sure it did. No, wait, I was asleep. Must have missed it.

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:21:33 PM PST
I get enough boobs and giant fighting robots at home. That's not why we watch movies is it? lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 10:48:17 PM PST
PlanetHell says:
Yes it is! Otherwise no one would care to watch movies!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 10:55:32 PM PST
PlanetHell says:
Maybe the term "instant classic" applies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 11:42:02 PM PST
Night of the Hunter is another film I wanted to bring up. Mitchum is pretty much always great, but everyone else's acting is awful. The whole movie these kids are fleeing from Mitchum and then toward the end he shows up at the house the kids are at and they walk out to the porch where he is and come within mere feet of him. They've been running... the whole movie... then the man they're running from is so close to them and they just stand there! The flow is terrible, it's so disjointed. Argh... waste of time.

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 11:42:10 PM PST
PlanetHell says:
If not posted already...
Batman Returns is one of the worst movies ever made! Catwoman was better for god sakes. It would be the worst super-hero ever if not for "Superman IV," which simply shouldn't have been made so it's barely credible. Batman Returns has nothing to do with Batman anything. Contrary to popular belief, Batman's villian "The Penquin" is not in the movie, just some wierd white faced sewer man. Batmans "Batman" is present for less than twenty minutes of a 2 hour running time. Batman's "Catwoman" is also not in the movie, just some wierd physcho dressing up Spider-Mans "The Black Cat."

Again, thank you Joel for taking over the franchise and making "Batman Forever," which was the best Batman movie at the time, and sorry the studio ruined Batman And Robin, but its a thousand steps above Returns.

Spider Man 2 was so boring, whiney nonsense and less-than impressive CGI. Not a horrible movie by any stretch of the imagination, watchable and has some really good parts. There is a reason why it made less than 1 and 3. Also I don't get who thinks this is better than the others let alone very good. At least five people I know say this movie was the low point of the series. Amongst these comments were "the CGI was crappy" "the whole thing didn't make any sense" "Doc Oc was nothing like the comics version" "It was kind of boring." I don't know anyone in real life at all who thinks this is more than an average super-hero movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 12:39:51 AM PST
Obion1884 says:
Agree on Chinatown. Blade Runner is painful, because the opening scene quire possibly shows what the land mass now known as the USA will be in 2210-if not before. riever2

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 4:29:17 AM PST
Lulu says:
Thanks, Baron. Yeah, it occurred to me, too, after I posted -- I was supposed to come here to bury the classics, not praise them. But well...I wasn't so much praising GWTW as pointing out what I thought were some incorrect conclusions regarding a certain character. Anyway, my post isn't so out-of-place when I consider all the people posting a negative opinion of something like Spiderman 2, as if it's heresy to denigrate such a distinguished, venerable classic. I know everybody's definition of "classic" is subjective, but come on. If the film in question was referred to when it opened as being part of a franchise...it's probably not a classic!

OK, now I have to justify posting here again by actually trashing a classic movie. Let's see. Hmmmm. Oh, wait! I've got it.

Grand Hotel. MGM, 1932. Wow, what a cast. The first of the blockbuster casts (prior to this movie, studios would typically just put one or at most two huge stars per movie, the idea being to spread them around so all your films would turn a reasonable profit). Greta Garbo, BOTH male Barrymores (John and Lionel), Wallace Beery, Joan Crawford. Winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture. Source of Garbo's signature line, "I want to be alone." Pure pedigree.

And as entertainment? A stifling BORE. What a snoozefest. Talky, talky, talky. Garbo the ballerina (HUH??) bitches to her maid what a chore it is to be famous. Lionel Barrymore crinkles up his eyes and grins in what I like to think of as The Helen Hayes Role (charmingly dotty oldster). Thief John Barrymore flirts with golddigging secretary Joan Crawford for a little while, then dumps her to attempt to steal Garbo's jewels (because prima ballerinas never go anywhere without their vast collection of valuable gems), then falls for Garbo because, well...she's Garbo. Then a crew-cutted Wallace Beery tries to rape his sec'y Joanie, and follows that up by bashing J. Barrymore over the head with a phone, thereby ending everybody's misery.

Sounds fun, huh? Each character is unpleasant in his or her own unique way, and each is intent on talking us to death. As if that's not enough, the movie's status as an early talkie guarantees static scenes (they hadn't quite figured out the boom mike, so actors had to hit their mark and declaim with a minimum of movement) and a dearth of background ambient sound and music means there are huge sections of the film with nothing but that faint buzzing noise on the soundtrack. DIRE.

Ah...that felt good.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 5:13:50 AM PST
Roman85 says:
I can see why people find "Blade Runner" a bore, but in 1982 it was groundbreaking & way ahead of its time, but now, it is lost in the mix of other special effects groundbreaking films

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 6:22:55 AM PST
Lulu,

Lol, you make we want to steer clear of GRAND HOTEL. Sounds like it's overrated fluff disguised as quality material.

And I agree that the term "Classic" means different things to different people ... even though it refers to something of the highest class or rank, which serves as a model or standard, of enduring quality or style.

I think a classic requires not only excellence, but also time to have passed since its creation; but this is subjective matter. Of course it can be argued that there are occasionally instant classics of a genre; the term "instant classic" has been thrown around regarding certain good movies, from FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF to THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

This thread is a pleasure because its general purpose is to show an emperor without his clothes. Many people here have made some really insightful and also scathing examples of unexpected criticisms of movies that are highly regarded by the public.

I wanted to add a few more films to the fray:

GOODFELLAS is overrated, and seems more like it appeals to high school crowds. If you don't like this movie you're not "cool", lol.
And a truly effective villain ("bad guy", or mobster) doesn't need to talk like a sailor on shore leave, 24/7. It's so easy to be that way. I always think, "Yeah, we get it, you cuss constantly and with venom-- you're a mobster." Nonsense.

FARGO seemed an instant classic, and it's interesting and truly unique, almost like a foreign film made in America, but it's gotten too big for its britches. I had given it a five star grade here and I think that's too liberal.

And James Cameron's 1984 movie THE TERMINATOR is perfect for this thread. That movie is kind of fun to watch at first (turn off your brain and enjoy the action/suspense/violence-- it appeals to the kid in us, like sugary breakfast cereal), but you cannot start to take it seriously in any single way because that ruins it. Example: the unstoppable sinister robot assassin from the future comes to present day California to kill a certain woman ... but he has to use a phone book to locate her. (That's ridiculous enough but it gets worse.) So then this terminator starts going around shooting every Sarah Connor he can find! This film is perfect fodder for "Mystery Science Theater 3000".

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 6:32:54 AM PST
Marty Mcfly says:
I really liked The Breakfast Club. It was made during my 'time' and whenever i watch it, it takes me back there. One of my favorite films. Reminds me, that special effects arent necessary to make a film great.

I hated 2001..way to long and boring, just like gone with the wind.

Grapes of wrath..Awesome! One of my all time favs

Any Elvis movie, is like watching a swartzenager film. so cliche, self serving, and ridiculous. 'hey look at me, aint i great'. Lets make sure to put a catch phrase in there somewhere and make people forget how dumb this movie is "i'll be back".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 6:47:54 AM PST
Marty Mcfly says:
Return of the King wouldve been better, but that stupid ghost army ruined it for me, and legolos. I mean you have this serious conflict for midddle earth, winner takes all, and a huge massive military build up, only to be destroyed by some ghost army and logolos. Kind of reminds me of the ewoks destroying the whole 'galactic empire'. Just stupid.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 6:56:59 AM PST
Larry Oberg says:
The comments on the Scarlet Ohara character in Gone With the Wind have missed an important point. Scarlet is not simply a selfish, vain and manipulative Valley Girl, but rather the incarnation of the old South itself. When she eats the radish, wretches, stands up and proclaims 'I'll never go hungry again,' she may as well have said, 'The South will rise again'. In the case of GWTW certainly, it would be better if viewers kept in mind the historical context. Simply because one does not like a film is not a valid reason for not making at least a modest effort to understand why.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 7:25:22 AM PST
stevign says:
William:

re: "The storyline was conventional"

Quite the contrary. Except for the movie The Fighting Sullivans, it was rather UNconventional and even in that movie there was no one sent to save one of the brothers. As far as I know Hollywood has never made another movie with the same storyline.

* (The Sullivan brothers were five siblings who were all killed in action during or shortly after the sinking of the light cruiser USS Juneau (CL-52), the vessel in which they all served, on 13 November 1942 in World War II)

re: "predictable"

That's pretty cynical and a rather empty complaint seeing as how most movies have happy endings, or at least somewhat of a happy ending.

re: "I didn't think it could find a point to stick to."

The point was more than obvious; it was their mission to find and bring back Private Ryan, which they did. What happens along the way is what makes stories either interesting or not interesting. Not everyone is going to find the journey along the way interesting but that's no fault of the movie maker. In this particular case the writer more than accomplished his mission as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 7:53:29 AM PST
"I don't buy the part where Annette Bening's character would go after Kevin Spacey's character at the end of "American Beauty." Her character is the one who sleeps around town, flaunting it in broad daylight at fast-food drive-throughs, yet when she thinks her husband is cheating, she goes bonkers and goes after him with a gun. I never bought that. Not in 1999, not now."

That had nothing to do with Spacey's character cheating on her. It was because her relationship with The Real Estate King was what she thought she wanted for herself, she was finally fulfilled, and he ruins it, like he's ruined (in her view) her entire life. I found it very believable. People shoot and kill other people for much stupider reasons than that, certainly :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 8:01:45 AM PST
stevign says:
MP:

I'm curious, what was "groundbreaking? about Blade Runner?

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 8:48:11 AM PST
Larry Oberg says:
The comments on the Scarlet Ohara character in Gone With the Wind have missed an important point. Scarlet is not simply a selfish, vain and manipulative Valley Girl, but rather the incarnation of the old South itself. When she eats the radish, wretches, stands up and proclaims 'I'll never go hungry again,' she may as well have said, 'The South will rise again'. In the case of GWTW certainly, it would be better if viewers kept in mind the historical context. Simply because one does not like a film is not a valid reason for not making at least a modest effort to understand why.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 9:08:49 AM PST
ebb says:
The movie Momento drives me nuts. I have tried twice to watch it and i can't finish it. I know it has been rated fairly highly in movie polls, but i don't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 9:11:59 AM PST
stevign says:
ebbjoelj"

lolol....it is a good movie but yes, it's not easy to keep up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 9:44:58 AM PST
K. DeV says:
Hi Larry, not trying to be mean... but remember, the purpose of this discussion is to "Post an unpopular statement about a classic movie". It's people simply stating what film(s) they don't like with perhaps their reason(s) why they feel that way. I don't think there's a right nor a wrong way to dislike a film. I think it's a personal choice. Likes and dislikes are individual. They're merely opinions.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 9:55:57 AM PST
Vivian Lee says:
I hate Sound of Music. Never could watch it. I was a kid and went to see it in
the theatre. My brother and I snuck OUT of the theatre, it was sooooo boring.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
"Star Trek: Beyond" 181 36 minutes ago
Exciting/unusual FIlm clips. 73 37 minutes ago
The top ten anything thread 7034 39 minutes ago
Celebrities that look alike 505 45 minutes ago
Who Shouldve Won The Oscar-1970s 45 1 hour ago
Movie Game! Ten Movies Where . . . (June 2016) 897 1 hour ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Five 3888 1 hour ago
ABC Movie Game 2994 1 hour ago
"Star Trek: Discovery" 1 2 hours ago
Pick One of Two Then Pose Another Pairing.... 296 4 hours ago
★ Return of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! ★ 574 5 hours ago
TV Talk 4326 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  231
Total posts:  2321
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions