Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The most likable movie villains of all time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 351 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 1:05:25 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Cleo, Re: >"Warren William (Krech)...
...Kinda like LLoyd Bochner another Jewish actor playing ruthless and moneyed really well"<

Why are you so obsessed with outing celebrities as Jewish?

I've noticed you have been doing this for a while with mixed results (e.g., you made a big point claiming Lady Gaga was Jewish. She isn't.)

Anyway, the under-appreciated Warren William always struck me more as a soulful version of Clark Gable, not so much Barrymore.
Whether he was Jewish is of little interest to me, now again I'm mildly curious if you have a point to this. I know Krech is a German name with a long history, and I'm sure he dropped it because it sounds so severe and unromantic (Krech literally means "tent" or "trading post" or something like that.) It's not evidence he was Jewish that I'm aware of; possibly he was.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 6:24:11 AM PST
Glinda the Good Witch. So evil, yet you can't help warming up to her.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 7:54:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 7:55:06 AM PST
Focusing on likability--isn't it curious that the Disney villains are always more likeable that the heroes, all the way back to the evil queen in Snow White?

And it's not just the Satan-in-Milton rule--you know, the bad guys get all the best lines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 8:10:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2012 8:25:37 AM PST
bella7 says:
WAS and all,

Have you ever noticed that in most Disney movies the main characters have no mother shown or the mother dies?

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 8:19:57 AM PST
bella: Quite so. It's called emotional manipulation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 8:27:51 AM PST
bella7 says:
WAS,

Yet many of the characters still have fathers or father figures. I find this interesting.

Then there's the whole other Disney theme of the girl meeting Prince Charming, who saves her and gives her a happy life.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 8:34:54 AM PST
Then there's her other main squeeze, Prince Charmin.

(Okay, okay, I'm moving along now...)

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 8:47:14 AM PST
bella: And that particular narrative archetype is also the basis of the Chick Flick.

Gosh, all the reasons not to watch Disney films. Actually, of the so-called classic ones, the only ones I can stand are Sleeping Beauty and to a lesser extent Cinderella. And of course Fantasia. Of the most recent one--Lion King et. seq.--the less said the better, although I was pressganged into watching The Emperor's New Groove and my head didn't explode.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 9:06:00 AM PST
bella7 says:
WDE,

Charming to Charmin. All one has to do is drop the "g". Maybe that's how Charmin came up with their name. Ya never know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 9:12:56 AM PST
bella7 says:
I've enjoyed several Disney movies, but recently have wondered if there were any hidden/underlying messages in them.

I just saw a movie trailer for Disney's new "John Carter". Looked like a lot of action, strange looking aliens and scary creatures. I have no burning desire to see it.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 9:21:50 AM PST
bella: One must distinguish between subtext (always present, and not necessarily intentional) and message (not always present, and intentional). Disney films have very overt, and rather tedious, messages.

John Carter--based on the Burroughs Mars books, which are really rather wonderful. The fellow who did Sky Captain had a Burroughs Mars film in development for some time; unfortunately, this John Carter is from Andrew Stanton, responsible for WALL-E. That does not bode at all well. I'm reserving judgment until I see some reviews.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 9:28:01 AM PST
Juhbreezee says:
If anime characters count, my choice is Haruko from FLCL.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 9:32:12 AM PST
bella7 says:
WAS,

Like you, I will wait for the reviews on the John Carter movie OR maybe I'll just read the books. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 10:02:47 AM PST
Balok says:
@W. David English:

> Glinda the Good Witch. So evil, yet you can't help warming up to her.

I don't know how serious MGM was about casting Gayle Sondergaard as the Wicked Witch of the West, but she would have been one ba-a-a-d girl, if you get my drift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 10:05:30 AM PST
Balok says:
@bella7:

> Have you ever noticed that in most Disney movies the main
> characters have no mother shown or the mother dies?

This is actually a common trope in children's literature, not just in Disney movies -- think of how many fairy tales feature orphans, or the dead mother replaced by a wicked stepmother. And not just the Grimm Brothers and Disney -- the boy's mother in "The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T" is a widow, as is Charlie's mother in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (ditching the father character from the book was a very wise move). And of course Sabu in _The Thief of Bagdad_ plays an orphan as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 10:13:22 AM PST
bella7 says:
Balok,

Good point about many Grimm Brothers stories also lacking a mother. I hadn't thought of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 10:42:05 AM PST
This is the first amendment. I don't see where taxing a church or any other institution would violate the concept against establishing said institution nor would taxing a church impose upon thier free exercise of their faith.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 12:45:02 PM PST
stevign says:
I agree. When churches began "investing" their money they entered into the "secular" world of business and should be bound by the same laws. Render unto Caesar.....etc, etc, etc.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 12:55:32 PM PST
DBB: What the devil does that have to do with likeable movie villains?

Undoubtedly there is a forum for arguing such points.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 2:19:18 PM PST
Jonathan says:
>"What the devil does that have to do with likeable movie villains?"<

Dave Bertrand may have been winding up to revealing that Burt Lancaster as Elmer Gantry was his favorite likeable movie villain?

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 3:30:26 PM PST
JPB: But was Jean Simmons the real villain?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 4:42:14 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Yeah, well -- if you believe woman inherently more deadly than the male. Sort on an amour fou situation there. Too bad James Randi wasn't around to expose Aimee McPherson like her fellow Faith Healer Televangelist spawn.

I remember liking the Steve Martin movie 'Leap of Faith' when it came out. Maybe time for a re-view.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 7:12:28 PM PST
JPB: Recall what Sherlock Holmes said of the primacy of the female criminal.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 7:21:50 PM PST
Hikari says:
And Sherlock had firsthand experience . . .hoist by his own petard via Irene Adler.

Women have to be cunning. We lack the strength and speed to just outmuscle or outrun. To prevail over a physically superior opponent, we must outthink . . . so plotting is a great feminine sport.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 7:32:21 PM PST
Judy Trenkle says:
No - I think Imhotep is awesome too!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  117
Total posts:  351
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions