Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The most genuinely disturbing film you have ever seen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2001-2025 of 2243 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 12, 2012 10:08:52 AM PDT
Tim R. Niles says:
"The Day After" was directed by Nicholas Meyer, and there is a very good description of how he came to produce or direct that TV film in his book "View from the Bridge" (I think that's the title, it's mostly to do with his directing several Star Trek films.) There are a few things that I must mention about the premise of the film: first, I started school in Los Alamos, NM, in the mid-50s, and became an electronic engineer (minored in physics); second, the bombs that were dropped on Japan in WWII were firecrackers compared with the hydrogen bombs in the nuclear arsenals of the US and Russia (one fission bomb could obliterate a city; one hydrogen bomb, full states, maybe even smaller nations; plus the power systems and electronics would be ruined); the delivery systems for all these warheads were NOT 100% reliable, nor were the men in the silos all likely to launch their missile when so commanded. "The Day After" was placed largely in a smaller Kansas town, I think, maybe 50 miles away from a city destroyed by a bomb... in reality, IF the Soviet missile had been on target to the larger city, it probably would have blown down the smaller city as well. The reason I noted the difference between Hiroshima/Nagasaki sized nuclear weapons and the tens of megaton/multiple warhead missile is because "Day After" was a drama na dto have drama, guess what, people have to survive or at least be given the opportunity to survive, to struggle. Most of the people who were so antsy to use nuclear weapons during the Cold War - or maybe 'just' callous about the use - were idiots about the damage done, the direct damage. Carl Sagan and others concluded in the early 80s that the debris kicked up by a full out nuclear war would result in a 'nuclear winter' which would possibly end all human life. So, it is an irony that Pres. Reagan actually watched this TV movie and was so affected by it that he took different actions in the White House; in essence, he no longer was so flip about his choice of words regarding the use of nuclear weapons... and what he saw in this film was actually a 'best case' scenario!

How's THAT information to give the term 'disturbing' a quantum kick in the butt?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 8:10:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 8:10:54 PM PDT
Thank you Mr. Niles--
Its crazy how sometimes people forget these movies are made for dramatization reasons, and dont really know enough to really know what would happen in a worse case scenario. But unless you are knowledgable about nuclear weapons and all that goes into the effects a warhead will do in a certain area and the size of it....film makers will take licenses with these dramas. But it was still a very effective tool to wake some up that never really think about things like this happening....or do we really want to know? :)

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:23:36 PM PDT
For me, the most disturbing movies I've ever seen were The Strangers and one of the Friday the Thirteenth movies. Movies like The Ring and Nightmare on Elm Street don't scare me because they could never actually happen. What scares me are the things that are sick and twisted that happen every day-things like people killing others just for the sake of killing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 8:38:52 PM PDT
K. Gardner says:
i remeber that metallica video that i think had stuff from that film ....disturbing to this day
Your reply to K. Gardner's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 8:47:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 8:48:23 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
I was just saying to my wife pretty much exactly what you are saying here. Last night I re-watched 'Friday the 13th Part 2' and got some genuine scares from it because of the human factor. Monsters and stuff don't scare me, but the idea of a psychopath stalking the suburbs or woods or whatever is scary because it COULD (or DOES) happen in real life.

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:50:42 PM PDT
K. Gardner says:
Slaughtered vomit dolls by Lucifer Valentine. Honestly one of the most ugly, sick, repugnent, evil film i have watched and thats just if you take it at face value. If you realy look into what he is saying and why and how he made the film, plus his past leading up to the film you owuld be hardpressed to disagree

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:26:46 PM PDT
Now if they would just get off the teen scream market and make movies about missing dead babies and kids...and mom's killing babies and saying they were "kidnapped"...now THAT would be real life these days. Florida has had MORE than its share lately.

I'm waiting on the movie to be made about the 2 girls who were kidnapped for all those years living in a tent in the backyard. She recently wrote a book. I forgot their names...

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:31:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 9:31:32 PM PDT
I can't get the horror of the slow moving killers. I mean, I would just run! Why does the damsel in distress always scream and walk quickly away from him...or run around in circles like a unitard until they actually run into him! Or better yet, she runs at full speed, looking back every 5 seconds to see him STILL walking slowly...and then she trips on the root or rock or whatever and twists her ankle...so that she has to hobble quickly away, giving him time to catch up! Haha! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:36:42 PM PDT
I agree. I don't know that much about nuclear weapons, but I know that the movie was dramatized. It even says at the end something like- In a real nuclear war, even the BEST case scenario would be much, much more devastating.

Still, the images of the people with radiation poisoning sticks in your head.

I would rather be obliterated!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:37:54 PM PDT
True, true.

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:41:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 9:48:10 PM PDT
If I had to do a top five for most disturbing films, here's how they would go IN ORDER:

1) Salo
2) Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
3) Hostel
4) I Spit on Your Grave (the 1978 original)
5) Last House on the Left (the 1972 original)

I would be quite content to NEVER see any of these films again. Which is what I'm planning on !

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:45:52 PM PDT
elaine says:
Death Wish Three

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:06:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 10:08:02 PM PDT
Dear Q--
I hope to God it never happens to you, but you never know how you will react, Granted, these old horror tricks are from days gone by, they are mean for the viewer to hold there breathes in anticipation. Some have a tolerance for it, others are eh. But I hope to God if ever confonted with a serial killer I haul *ss, but something tells me, even if I am, it will still seem to slow for me, my adrenalin running into overdrive...worst cause scenario, I'll freeze with terror!!! YEOW!!

PS. I'll forget my bra and trip over a tree root. :/

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:41:07 PM PDT
Haha! Of course! I forgot the bra!

Just make sure you stay away from nudity, sex, alcohol, drugs, and bullying people and you should be safe!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:45:35 PM PDT
Dugard

Posted on May 12, 2012 10:48:22 PM PDT
"Mr. Brooks" with Kevin Costner. I think we all have that murderous instinct inside of us, but in his case it is uncontrollable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 11:03:37 PM PDT
...and of course, "I'll be right back!!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 11:06:32 PM PDT
Mr. Brooks--
Yeow! Thats the scariest part, we all have that capability, but its crazy that some actually cross that line. And I'm not taking about the ones that are sick, the ones that know better and still do it. Thats the scariest thing in life. "They were such a nice person."

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 11:34:44 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
The slow moving killer is definitely one of the "Huh?" moments of the slasher flick. Sometimes it aids the tension - as I would say it does in the original 'Halloween' - but sometimes it's just just plain stoopid. In 'Friday the 13th Part 2', Jason actually runs after his victims. Not only does he run, but most of his targets DO run away from him. It's a better example of the slasher flick (though not without its lesser moments).

The worst is when the slasher's would be victims run UPSTAIRS!! Not out the front door and down the street, but upstairs, effectively leaving themselves with no viable exit. But what would a slasher flick be without stupid kids making bad decisions?

Posted on May 12, 2012 11:56:37 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Koala says "But what would a slasher flick be without stupid kids making bad decisions?"

Stith would reply "A good film?"

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:17:55 AM PDT
Louise says:
Real life is absolutely horrific.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/london/police-given-24-more-hours-to-question-mother-of-babies-killed-in-wandsworth-tragedy-7736747.html

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:20:19 PM PDT
People are scum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:30:44 PM PDT
"You'll thank me one day."

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:25:28 AM PDT
Georgedc says:
Real assaults, Real torture and Real hot iron branding for life on the actresses!

The Bunny Game [Blu-ray]

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:14:51 AM PDT
I think we have a serial killer in training among us--georgedc....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  1170
Total posts:  2243
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2010
Latest post:  29 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions