Customer Discussions > Movie forum

"Cool Hand Lulu". A Female Version of the Great Paul Newman Film. Good Idea?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 6:46:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 6:48:33 AM PDT
I mentioned this idea of mine in the Alibi Lounge. It deserves its own thread. "Cool Hand Luke" is such a terrific film. I would love to see a remake, only using female prisoners. "Cool Hand Lulu"!!! Starring some feisty gal like, gee, I dunno, Rachel McAdams? Or Scarlett? Or, mmmm, let me think, um....probably not Amy Adams, resplendent though she is.

The casting office is open. Please submit your leading lady suggestions. And, yeah, I almost forgot, who for the George Kennedy role, while we're spitballing.

"What we have here is.......failure to communicate. And smudged eyeliner."

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:08:22 AM PDT
Kacee says:
David, you've named three great actresses. As long as Cameron Diaz isn't in it! I am peeved that she is playing Nicole in the remake of Gambit. (I'm in a bit of a grumbly mood today :)

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:10:50 AM PDT
Hmmmm.........don't like Cameron?

About about Ellen Page?

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:14:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 7:15:17 AM PDT
Meryl Streep, in mirrored sunglasses, as George Kennedy. It's a supporting role, but she should take it anyway.

Or possibly, I'm just sayin'.......Viola Davis in the Kennedy role? A black prison guard with white prisoners, to echo the switcheroo women-instead-of-men-in-prison theme?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:27:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 7:28:57 AM PDT
Kacee says:
Ellen is a very pretty young lady, but not the right image. (?)

How about LiLo playing Lulu ?

Cameron is ok, but overrated, imho, her best performance was Princess Fiona in Shrek. :)

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:41:49 AM PDT
Princess Fiona (in ogre mode) as Cool Hand Lulu!! Inspired idea!!!

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:53:01 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
This is, quite possibly, the single best idea I've heard of in the last ten years! As long as Scarlett Johansson and that chick who played the blue naked chick in "X Men" are onboard, I will support your brilliant concept to the nth degree! This could be better than Wendy O. Williams' "Reform School Girls"!

Please, please, make it in 3D, too! Imax wouldn't be bad either.

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:58:44 AM PDT
It's its IMAX or 3-D, the buxom babe washing the car scene might put somebody's eye out. Too perilous!!

I guess it'd have to be a hunky guy washing the car. Unless we're going same-sex, which...hmmmm...might be interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:36:34 AM PDT
Everybody check out a book (true story) "Orange Is The New Black" Society girl gets ratted out by the drug couriers she was hanging out
with and winds up in the Federal Pen. One time she just carried an attache case of cash from South America to the USA,nothing else.
Gave the book to a friend of mine to give to her granddaughter to read and learn. Society girl had a lot of support from friends from the outside
and had to learn how to cope on the inside so she got out OK,so to speak.
Think somebody may have the rights for a movie.
Seriously folks today that would be a good idea. If you can find the book it is an easy read and you will start thinking of all the actresses
today capable of being in it.
You have a whole range of characters in the book that any actresses would love to play with the author consulting,she is doing rehab
work for women in prison and trying to get them back into society once they get out if they ever do.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 2:31:45 PM PDT
How about the fatty from Monster? Or the Hail bop comet herself?
Combine Monster and Monsters Ball. What would they call that one?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:40:50 PM PDT
Not a good idea for a female version. It would most likely come across as campy instead of rough 'n tough. Either that, or you would have some director like Quentin Tarentino remake it with so much blood and gore that it would be intolerable.

Paul Newman's performance is a stone-cold classic. Leave that film stand as it is. Remember how they tried to remake 'Psycho' with Vince Vaughn ? Didn't come across too well, did it ? Some films should just be left alone and respected for the masterpieces that they are.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:33:35 PM PDT
Robert B. Nothing could equal the remake of "Psycho" that was so bad it was not even bad funny.
Sometimes nothing can be a cool hand.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:38:37 PM PDT
JNagarya says:
How about a female version of "The Great Escape"?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:24:18 AM PDT
Balok says:
@JNagarya:

> How about a female version of "The Great Escape"?

How about an all-female version of "The Crying Game"?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 4:51:08 AM PDT
Robert Bykowski:

Usually I agree heartily with you. If a film is great, leave it alone.

But a female version of "Cool Hand Luke" could be very different. Doing a remake with a male contemporary version of Paul Newman---Matthew McC, for example---would be pointless. But I actually like the idea of Quentin T. doing "Cool Hand Lulu".

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 7:55:58 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
I think you may be missing the point of a all-girl remake of "Cool Hand Luke" or maybe "Cool Hand Lucille".

What do prisoners do on chain gangs? They sweat through their skimpy clothes. Shiny, rippling torsos with flimsy T-shirts clinging; long tanned legs displayed by prison-issued short shorts. Rythmic pounding of (ahem) sledge hammers. "Takin' it off here, Boss!" "Yeah, take it off, Lucille."

And what do the sweaty prisoners do when they get back to the camp? They shower. Long, steamy showers with the soap and suds and the towel snapping and wrestling.

I'm sorry, but artistic integrity and respect for masterpieces is all well and good, but watching Cool Hand Lucille running from the hounds in slow motion, losing pieces of her prison clothes as she goes... that's worth a little philistinism.

"I will bet you that my girl Lucille here can eat fifty pieces of Dove dark chocolate!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:20:13 AM PDT
redriddah says:
I think that Queen Latifah would make a good "George Kennedy" substitute.

Posted on May 24, 2012 1:04:07 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
An addendum: Better would be if Queen Latifah (Dragline) would brag that Lulu (let's say Milla Jovovich), "My girl Lulu can eat fifty mangoes! That's fifty ripe, juicy warm mangoes with succulent juice running from her pouting lips and down her chin, sending rivulets of sticky sweetness trickling down her undersized tank top."

I'm also thinking that the warden (Reese Witherspoon) might make the prisoners hold a car wash, and "anybody don't get wet spends a night in the box."

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:32:04 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Yes, "Cool Hand Lucy Savage" sounds like a winning title to me!

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:50:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 9:56:18 AM PDT
OK...you guys and gals convinced me. An X-rated version of 'Cool Hand Luke' might work ! How 'bout Pamela Anderson in the Paul Newman role and Meryl Streep in the George Kennedy role ?!! (ha-ha !).

Posted on May 25, 2012 9:54:10 AM PDT
Actually...after thinking further, you know what would be REALLY interesting, in all seriousness ? A female version of 'The Defiant Ones'.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:01:08 AM PDT
JNagarya says: "How about a female version of "The Great Escape"?

Hmmm...Cate Blanchett in the Steve McQueen role; Hilary Swank in the James Garner role.

Posted on May 25, 2012 10:06:04 AM PDT
Well, her relationship with the George Kennedy character will have to be more than platonic! They won't have a failure to communicate their regard for each other.Hey And lots of punitive hose-downs in the showers.

Doesn't Angelina Jolie have to play Lulu? She already has the attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:32:21 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
With her anorexic frame and stick-figure arms, Angelina would have to bulk up a whole lot before I'd find her believable on a road gang. The previously mentioned Pamela Anderson.... too ancient! What's she, like 60 now? Streep could be the Woman With No Eyes, though. Warden Helen Mirren would do nicely. "What we have heah is fail-yuh to commun'cate" in a clipped Brit accent.

Sandra Bullock is always looking for work. Just give her a whiff of Oscar Bait, and she'll be right there.

I think we need to remember the first principle of Girls In Prison movies: cat fights, showers and a domineering sadistic warden. With those three, the movie wirtes itself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:42:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 11:42:55 AM PDT
Dlarson:

Glenn Close can do her tough Albert Nobbs thing and be the warden. Or maybe the Clifton James role as the jailer.

I thought of Ms. Jolie because she is one of the few female stars who has generally seemed believable in action-oriented films.

The fight between Newman and Kennedy ("stay down") achieves all new meaning when it becomes a "catfight".

Besides Ms. Bullock has, to my knowledge, only taken her clothes off once on film. Will the budget support coaxing her into it again?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  May 23, 2012
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions