Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What is the scariest Movie?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 95 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2012 10:54:43 PM PST
Kevin S. Zic says:
What is the scariest movie you ever seen?

Kevin Z.
http://www.myshopkart.net/kazdecor/default.php

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 2:05:15 AM PST
W. Grieve says:
George Clooney's Syriana.

Scary as hell !

Also..Pet Cemetary..Christine..Alien..Wicker Man..Nosferatu..and of course All the Presdents Men.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:46:07 AM PST
Balok says:
"Hiroshima Nagasaki August 1945" (http://thefilmarchived.blogspot.com/2010/08/hiroshima-nagasaki-august-1945-1970.html)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 5:22:12 AM PST
Whitey says:
"The Haunting", 1962.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 6:23:19 AM PST
Ahmad says:
The Changeling

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 6:39:05 AM PST
7 & 7 IS says:
Black Sabbath

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 6:41:41 AM PST
Mike Girard says:
Alien

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 3:52:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2012 4:01:29 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:44:22 PM PST
Having grown up in the Cold War and lived in the Midwest (where most of the US mega missiles are still located) the made-for-TV drama The Day After scared the daylights out of A LOT of people back in the early 1980s.

It's still one of the highest rated non sports programs in history and was about an all out nuclear war between the superpowers and the gory, realistic effect on the US-- specifically on Kansas and Missouri. It was so scary that it's rumored to have gotten Reagan and Gorbachev to the peace table.

A very powerful, depressing, and scary movie--even today!

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:47:20 PM PST
douglasG says:
Sarah Palin: The Undefeated

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 8:48:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 8:53:59 PM PST
Mike Girard says:
I already said Alien but I would add Cronenberg's The Fly which terrifies on a different level. In Alien terror comes from identifying with victims or potential victims of a predatory monster. The horror of The Fly comes from identification with the monster itself. They're both terrifying as well as being extremely well-crafted and creatively imagined films.

I am trying to think of the scariest film in which the monsters are human. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 10:41:49 PM PST
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 10:44:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 10:46:49 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Mike Girard,

I was deleted today as well: see! ↑

What I was deleted for I don't know. I picked 'Jesus Camp' among other "scariest" contenders. Could that have done it?

>>"I am trying to think of the scariest film in which the monsters are human. Any suggestions?"<<

'Triumph of the Will'?
Some think 'Cape Fear' (the original, obviously) is pretty scarey.

I like 'The Innocents' tremendously. Best 'Turn of the Screw' adaptation.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 10:56:03 PM PST
Balok says:
If you're even mildly acrophobic, the last 20 minutes of _Safety Last!_ are about as scary as it gets.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 2:38:35 AM PST
Mark says:
I live for scary movies. That said, I want to mention a movie that is not really a "Horror" movie but one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen:

"The Machinist" ("El Maquinista"), starring Christian Bale in a visually shocking role as a metal lathe operator who, for some horrible reason, hasn't slept in a year. After viewing "The Machinist", I couldn't sleep for several nights. It was so disturbing to see Mr. Bale so emaciated (he lost 60 pounds for the role) it nearly made me sick. One of the most unsettling movies I have ever seen.

Back to scary movies; some of my favorites:

~ The Exorcist (and also The Exorcist 3 with George C. Scott)
~ Alien
~ The Omen (the original with Gregory Peck)
~ Eraserhead (just plain... weird)
~ The Mummy (with Boris Karloff. Saw it when I was a wee lad and my Father had to take me out of the theatre it scared me so much)

A few more recent scary movies that creeped me out:

~ Insidious (it wasn't all *that* freaky, but I sure liked it)
~ Case 39 (probably not a popular choice, but that scary little girl...)
~ The Children (there's those creepy kids again)
~ Orphan (... and again)
~ Let the Right One In (Gosh. I'm not frightened of kids in real life but, you know, this one...)

Thanks for the topic. I love finding out what scares my fellow scary movie watchers.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:39:59 AM PST
7 & 7 IS says:
Titicut Follies

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 8:14:55 AM PST
Ahmad says:
As a second thought, how about Plan 9 From Outer Space :-(

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:03:26 AM PST
Two immediately come to mind (without discussing documentaries, which are generally scary for different reasons):

The Haunting
The Brood

Very nearly at the same level:

Dead of Night

More commercial but effective:

The Omen (original version)

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:33:32 AM PST
The Strangers! freaked me out!

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 10:02:56 AM PST
Green Meanie says:
Orca, the Killer Whale, who kills people like a Human Serial Killer.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 10:16:05 AM PST
L. Magee says:
Come to think of it, I would agree with Mark! Boy, I had never realized how really scary some children are portrayed in movies. Wow! The little girls who played in Orphan, Case 39, and Let The Right One In (both versions) were really good. Also, I have to add "Them" the subtitled French movie that starred some very sociopathic young children that was based on "true" events, I think. OMG!
I love Zombie movies, especially the type like 28 days later, Zombie, and anything to do with these creatures on the prowl looking for "someone" to eat. I guess you could say they were "human" at one time.
Next, I would have to say The Texas Chainsaw movies. I was more creeped out when I had first believed they were actually true stories, which took place in rural Texas! Think I was sort of gullible at the time. Texas can be kind of scary at times, especially if you know what areas to visit. Lots of haunted areas and ghost sightings! If you love horror, then you have to LOVE it!!

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 11:14:49 AM PST
I am one person who believes that gore and horror doesn't necessarily equate to being more scary. In fact, it's often movies that present a more believable, on-the-edge-of-your-seat scenario with disturbing psychological overtones that are the scariest, at least for me. Therefore, I have to go with:

The original, classic Hitchcock thriller 'Psycho';
'In Cold Blood';
'The Boston Strangler';
'Straw Dogs' (the 1971 Sam Peckinpah original with Dustin Hoffman).

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 4:26:57 PM PST
D. Stepp says:
Romero's early work obviously, the original "Texas Chainsaw...", Fulci's "Zombie", Herzog's "Nosferatu" if only for Klaus Kinski's bravura performance.
A non-horror film that I find frightening from the first frame to the last is "Children of Men". One could almost call it political horror...a suffocating dystopia. The scene where the middle-aged lady is randomly arrested and a bag is pulled over her head as the bus pulls away still haunts me. The young mothers deliverance at the end is the one glimmer of hope but an exceedingly feeble one.
"Straw Dogs" was great but more suspenseful than scary.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 5:34:45 AM PDT
Beetlejuice says:
Horror movies don't really scare me. The only one that ever scared me was, for some reason, deep blue sea. It was where the shark grabs Samuel L. Jackson. But anyway, here are some of my favorites:
The omen (with gregory peck)
The exorcist
The changeling
Children of the corn has really creepy children
A newer good one is the woman in black
Mike, I've got your movie about monsters looking like humans: The Thing starring Kurt russell
My only other suggestion is to watch your horror movies really loud with the all the lights off.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 6:15:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2012 6:17:43 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Two fifties films gave me nightmares for weeks after seeing them, and even today the mere memory of them gives the chills:

The Curse of Frankenstein with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee as the monster in truly frightening makeup.

The Man Who Lived Forever with Boris Karloff as a very old man who needed human blood to continue living. The terrorizing aspect of this film came from the audible rising heartbeats coming from Karloff as his need for more blood drew near. As a kid I couldn't go to sleep for a week after seeing the movie without those haunting heartbeats relentlessly present in my head. I saw the film in the theater and remember only one TV showing later. Ever the masochistic, I watched the movie on TV as well, which only cemented further the terrifying memory of those sounds. If you ever get a chance to see The Man Who Lived Forever, think twice before doing so.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions