Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Movies that got great reviews that you hated! (and state why)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2012 2:48:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 2:50:08 AM PDT
D. Duarte says:
Unforgiven--predictable, cliched, and annoying

The Champ--same as above, with the annoying debut of little kid Ricky Schroeder

(How can a post that started the discussion not "add" to the discussion? It's the mother of the discussion! Both of the above films had an annoying hanger-on (kid) bothering the protagonist throughout. I guess I'm just not a fan of that)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:49:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 12:33:06 AM PDT
D. Duarte says:
Driving Miss Daisy--I'm supposed to get behind some racist old lady? Oh my, she realizes that her black butler is a human being too. How touching.

(some negative votes from some pro-racism people I see)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:52:11 PM PDT
D. Duarte says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 4:52:05 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Morgan Freeman is her chauffeur. The initial conflict between the two stems more from Jessica Tandy no wanting to lose her independence due to infirmity than racism.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 5:54:42 PM PDT
D. Duarte says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:39:52 PM PDT

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:00:45 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
To say that I hated Crash is an understatement - I loathed every successive second of that film. Nihilistic to the nth degree, it preaches that we are all racists and there is nothing we can do to change that.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 11:10:44 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Inception ~ I detest DiCaprio.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 4:50:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 4:52:26 AM PDT
Balok says:
I absolutely despised _Dead Poets Society_ for reasons that I have explained at length, on numerous occasions, elsewhere.

I can't say that I *hated* _Schindler's List_, but I cannot think of it as a great film (great exercise in audience maniuplation, possibly).

I thought that _The Piano_ was pretentious and not very interesting (and Nyman's music didn't help any). I do pride myself, however, on having predicted to the friend with whom I went to see it, as we were leaving the theater, that Anna Paquin would win the Academy Award for her performance.

The chimerical JPB will be more than happy to explain to you why I thought that _Last Year at Marienbad_ may qualify as the most idiotic "great" film ever made. And it's not just because the film seems to swallow the sound. As if your ear were far away. Far from the carpets. Far from everything.

Speaking of boring and pretentious, there's always Godard's _Weekend_ and Fassbinder's _The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant_ for people who actually *like* that sort of thing.

There's a whole sub-genre of movies that are sold as comedies that I walk out of thinking, "Who on earth thought that this was supposed in any way to be funny?" _The Pope of Greenwich Village_ and _White Men Can't Jump_ come to mind as prime examples. (This is not the same as bad comedies -- usually, I can tell why the makers thought that what they had on their hands was a comedy, even if the humor is not to my taste.)

And just about anything related in any way to David Mamet except for _Glengarry Glen Ross_.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:08:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 14, 2012 5:08:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:59:27 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Balok

The Pope of Greenwich Village was a comedy? You could have fooled me!

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 7:31:45 AM PDT
mr. critic says:
I usually have a contrary opinion of films that rely on a "performance within a performance" like "Shakespeare in Love", Annette Benning's "Being Julia", or Cassevetes "Opening Night." The end result often smacks of actors, writers, directors, and even editors trying way too hard to be clever. It's better to keep the plays extremely short like Wes Anderson's "Rushmore" did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 5:25:36 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Richard: "The chimerical JPB will be more than happy to explain to you why I thought that _Last Year at Marienbad_ may qualify as the most idiotic "great" film ever made."<

I hope that doesn't mean you are the third person today to accuse me of being Thomas A. Stith (or vice versa)?
He's the one who believes everything is a product of his imagination, after all!

And one of the people accusing us of being the same person *is* an authentic psychotic (because this poster also accused Gordo and I of being one in the same, among other reasons why this person's nuts.)

I can't agree with you about the Resnais or the Mamet, clearly. I like the games they play. And I would defend them at length if called upon.

On another matter...
Perhaps you keep a healthy enough distance from the doings a-transpiring here on Amazon lately, but from my angle, I am increasingly getting that Kafka Lite feeling (aka, the Twilight Zone feeling) that things just ain't right in here.
Many things seem backwards and distorted. I've been accused of being over 10 other posters in this past week, and I've been threatened a couple times by two of the biggest psychos on this forum (hint: not Thomas Stith) that I would have my Amazon privileges revoked.
Empty threats, I imagine, but you never know. I find it strange that two of these posters are even allowed to still post here. Lesser menaces have been totally banned in a much shorter posting-history frame.

Very odd times, very uncertain.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 2:56:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 2:57:16 AM PDT
D. Duarte says:
"Rudy"

I hated this movie, in fact, I couldn't understand how anyone could enjoy it. I've had people tell me, "You gotta get behind someone with a goal!"

Really? Is it that simple? Well, Hitler had a goal, can you get behind him?

It's not just enough to have a goal, to me, it has to be a worthwhile one. Trying to please a hardheaded stupid father, to me, is not a worthwhile venture, or expendature of time.

I believe at one point in the movie some nice girl expressed interest in him but he didn't have time. He was chasing his stupid, mindless, and in fact somewhat fraudulent goal.

I say somewhat fraudulent because the letterman's jacket means you made the varsity team on football merit, not because he was an ambitious human tackling dummy.

I would have liked the movie much more if he had the balls to stand up to his old man rather than kiss his ass, or if he would have found some happiness with a nice girl and come to his senses.

Some goals really are just plain stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:05:12 AM PDT
Well, that's a GREAT reason to hate Inception.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:06:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 3:31:15 AM PDT
Also, sure there's absolutely NO originality in Wall-E at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:23:26 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Re hating DiCaprio
>>>Well, that's a GREAT reason to hate Inception.

I don't hate Leo, though he is one of our more overrated actors based on a boyish cuteness that he hasn't had since circa 1999. I do plenty of other reasons besides him to hate "Inception". Rarely has a movie turned me off so much. It's not Leo's fault . .it'd still be the same overheated pile of self-satisfied suckitude even with another lead actor. I'm an intelligent person, but even with 2 viewings, I couldn't grasp what was happening. Of course, I fell asleep both times (at different spots) because I was so bored, so technically I haven't seen it ALL. I'm sure the parts I dozed through were absolutely brilliant. If only Chris Nolan hadn't put me to sleep with all his bombast, he might have been able to explain the wonderfulness to me.

I <3 Joseph Gordon-Leavitt & Tom Hardy, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:34:45 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
@H, Re: I Heart Tom Hardy.

I knew this day would come.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:18:53 AM PDT
Hikari says:
It's been here for a while, baybee. But you have dibs first.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:28:57 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
HAHA!

He's all yours m'lady. I've turned many girls off men, but I've never turned a man off girls....and I ain't starting now!

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:23:38 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Well, I know under normal circumstances, it'd work that way, but Tom is a special case, n'est pas? He is your One. I wouldn't dream of intruding. Just elbow Charlotte out of the way if necessary.
---
So you say 'dibs' in Australia, too? A weird expression but useful in a multi-sibling family for claiming the best seat in the car or wherever . . . .

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:43:48 AM PDT
R. Douglas says:
Black Swan was such a joke, mucho melodramatic to the point of hilarity. i already knew ballet was grueling and that some ballerinas are suicidal, and this film didn't provide enlightenment in that regard or even entertain, in fact, it was torture to watch (i should have walked out); natalie portman had 2 expressions - suicidal and extra-suicidal. her character and her mom's relationship was trite, now i can't even whisper "sweet girl" to my 4 year old daughter without feeling like a suffocating mother! this could have been an interesting film, using the black and white swans in a much more artful way. maybe it will be remade completely some day, and with mila kunis in the lead instead of supporting player. -jennifer douglas, "Save KLSD" film writer/producer (logged in under my dad's amazon account), check out my "Save KLSD" film on amazon!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 4:57:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 5:00:12 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Hikari

"...I fell asleep both times (at different spots) because I was so bored, so technically I haven't seen it ALL."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you dozed at different spots in both viewings, haven't you in fact seen the entire film?

P.S. I wish I had dozed through Crash!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:01:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 6:02:55 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@cav
You know, you're right! I hadn't of it that way. However, I think there's something coming through the screen that induces short-term memory loss in me with Inception. I feel like I could play it 8 times more and it would still feel entirely new and just as opaque because I've forgotten everything about it from 2 hours previously. The only thing I remember besides Leo's tortured face is that top spinning . . .

P.S. Now for a project I remember every second of, nearly--have you watched any Sherlock yet? :-p

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:18:08 PM PDT
anthony45 says:
Any movie directed by Sofia Copolla: I just can't appreciate her aesthetics.
Years earlier, I had the same negative reaction to John Cassavete's films.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x974cdb40)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Jun 13, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions