Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Most Overrated Animated Features - The Game

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 856 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2012 10:39:36 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 10:42:08 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 11:11:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 11:14:39 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
After Gamekeeper,

Akira - 10
Aladdin - 10
An American Tale - 10
Beauty and the Beast - 10
End of Evangelion - 11
Fantasia - 10
Ferngully: The Last Rainforest - 10
Finding Nemo - 10
Ghost in the Shell - 10
Grave of the Fireflies - 10
How to Train Your Dragon - 12
The Land Before Time - 10
The Little Mermaid - 10
The Lion King - 8
Pinocchio - 10
Princess Mononoke - 8
Shrek - 10
Toy Story 3 - 10
Up - 10
Wall-E - 11

-- Princess Mononoke (One of the best made animated features of my lifetime, and one of the few features of any genre that justly deserves comparison with Kurosawa.)
++ How to Train Your Dragon (the fact that it received Any acclaim provokes be to consider upvoting it; the fact that it appeared on many 10 best lists for the year compels me to voting it up as a duty.)

Aside: What, no 'Lady and the Tramp'?
And if 'Mulan' was on the list, I'd be voting that up before Dragon.
Also, I thought the sequel to 'Ghost in the Shell' was more overrated than the original.
Of the Miyazaki's I'm less impressed with, that 'Howl's Moving Castle' one was by far the most overpraised. I don't know if anyone else felt that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 11:14:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 11:15:12 PM PDT
Baker: I did say I was taking requests. My starting 20, I felt, was meant to serve as a simple basis. But, if I am to take such a request, I will want to know if you are going to be willing to vote it up (and not just 1 point one time). Otherwise, I will wait until a general consensus pops up...should such consensus ever come.

EDIT: I will be including Mulan then.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:16:04 PM PDT
Wow! Already an update:

Akira - 10
Aladdin - 10
An American Tale - 10
End of Evangelion - 11
Fantasia - 10
Finding Nemo - 10
Ghost in the Shell - 10
The Little Mermaid - 10
The Lion King - 8
Mulan - 10
Pinocchio - 10
Princess Mononoke - 8
Shrek - 10
Toy Story 3 - 10
Up - 10
Wall-E - 11

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 11:18:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 11:19:10 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
M. Gordan,
I just mentioned 'Lady and the Tramp'? because older Disney was underrepresented. I could as easily have said 'Cinderella' or '101 Dalmatians'. Or 'Bambi'.

'Mulan' is definitely one I'd vote up +2 at a time --EDIT: and I see you've already included it!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 11:25:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 11:30:07 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 11:37:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 11:43:40 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
After The Dragon Baker:

Akira - 10
Aladdin - 10
An American Tale - 10
End of Evangelion - 11
Fantasia - 8
Finding Nemo - 10
Ghost in the Shell - 10
The Little Mermaid - 10
The Lion King - 8
Mulan - 10
Pinocchio - 10
Princess Mononoke - 8
Shrek - 12
Toy Story 3 - 10
Up - 10
Wall-E - 11

Shrek +2 (Talk about a film that was completely predictable and not half as clever as represented. It's also higly annoying that the misunderstanding cliches are played absolutely straight.)
Fantasia -2 (Fantasia is very much i's own animal. In truth it seems unfair to compare it to narrative based films. The best comparison would be something like Gene Kelly's Invitation to the Dance which it holds up very well against.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 12:21:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2012 10:55:57 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
My apologies if I offended anyone. I didn't realize that the game had started so late. I just assumed the game was off to a slow start. There is nothing in the first post to indicate that the game is supposed to start on the 5th rather than the 4th. I typically use the time-date stamp as my guideline and I didn't see any reason to do any differently in this case As such, I was genuinely mystified by the criticisms pointed in my direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:32:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 5, 2012 8:29:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:56:45 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Mr. Gordan,
Who says: >"But consider this the one and only time I do it. As Genie said, no more freebies after this."<

That doesn't make any sense. You already set forth the rule that there would be no double-votes in this 25 hour (and 18 min) period allowed.
You and C. J. Vasta are allowed to break this rule and no one else?!
If that's the case, I boycott this thread.
Play fair -- take back the last double posts, or we'll have to part on these differences.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:02:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:01:17 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:04:11 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I don't get what the fuss is about. The voting is once per day. There's this little line at the top of the post that tells you what day it is. I'm clearly within the rules.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 2:58:40 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
C. J. Vasta says:
"I don't get what the fuss is about. The voting is once per day. There's this little line at the top of the post that tells you what day it is. I'm clearly within the rules."<

It's not fuss, it's abiding by fairness. This game was intended to start for Thursday, April 5th. I don't know what State you're in, Mr. Vasta...epicgordan is in Mt. Time, while I presumed is why he voted "Early," as he typically does, ahead of everyone else. Now because of your sneaky move, he cheated. Two wrongs don't make it right.

You are not within the rules of what Gordan (sensibly, logically, fairly) laid out at 10:42:08 PM PDT:
>"I'll start, and all votes from now until the end of the next day will be counted as Thursday votes"<

That was a good rule. I don't know why he doubled-back on that all of a sudden.
I never intended to try and sneak in an extra vote for Thursday. To do so is strictly dishonest.
And I will not be voting again until the illegitimacy of the last two post are recognized and reversed.

Not a good way to start a game, with the wheels fixed, the dice loaded. Games like that don't deserve any more players.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 4:10:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 4:01:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 7:56:09 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 7:59:09 AM PDT

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:27:17 AM PDT
Very well. Posts fixed...properly:

Akira - 10
Aladdin - 10
An American Tale - 10
End of Evangelion - 11
Fantasia - 6
Finding Nemo - 10
Ghost in the Shell - 10
The Little Mermaid - 10
The Lion King - 8
Mulan - 10
Pinocchio - 10
Princess Mononoke - 10
Shrek - 12
Toy Story 3 - 10
Up - 10
Wall-E - 11

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 8:56:55 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 12:43:28 PM PDT
Pinocchio is overrated? And Fantasia?

Are we judging these based on everything that came after them?? Wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 2:18:28 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Baron S.,
'Fantasia' is certainly overrated, to my taste. I couldn't stand that 2000 reboot. But 'Pinocchio' is one of the finest animated features I've seen, not overrated in the least. I'd be curious what William finds so stomach-churning about it.
Disney doesn't get more sick-making than 'Mulan', which is the number one reason I'll continue voting on this thread. That, and to release 'Pinocchio' from bondage!

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 5:19:24 PM PDT
I couldn't stand the period where Disney was choosing really lame ideas for their cartoon features-- Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Just awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 5:33:42 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
The thing that annoyed me the most about 'Pocahontas' is that it is an erroneous retelling of history For Children. So what we have is a generation of young 'uns who have a false idea of the Pocahontas story. Imagine the history classes: "No, Mrs McLeod, that's not the way it happened. *I* saw the movie" (Teacher grumbles and curses Disney...again).

We as adults know that the producers have taken liberties with the truth, but the kid's don't automatically know this. People can whinge about 'Wall-E' being bad for kid's all they like, but at least they know it's a fantasy, a completely made up story. 'Pocahontas' doesn't have this luxury in it's favor.

I guess at least the film didn't choose John Rolfe as the villain. That's one plus in it's favor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 5:49:07 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
I learned everything I need to know about Pocahontas from Holly Golightly and Thee Headcoatees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hKEZkil7g

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 6:04:40 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Love it!
Cool track, JB.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 35 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  856
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions