Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Marvel Movies: From Best to Worst

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2012 10:10:12 AM PDT
Okay, first I will admit that I am a big time Marvel fanboy. With that said, I've seen every one of their movies that have been in theaters, good and bad. So far, starting with the first Blade movie, there have been 25 Marvel movies in the past 14 years. Here is my personal opinionated list on favorite to least favorite. I'm not including Howard the Duck, or any of the releases not in theaters. I'm starting with Blade (1998) since it launched the comic craze in movies. Share your thoughts as well.

1. X-Men 2 (2003)
2. Iron Man (2008)
3. Spider-Man (2002)
4. X-Men (2000)
5. The Incredible Hulk (2008)
6. Captain America (2011)
7. X-Men First Class (2011)
8. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
9. Iron Man 2 (2010)
10. Blade (1998)
11. Blade 2 (2001)
12. Thor (2011)
13. X-Men 3 (2006)
14. X-Men Origins Wolverine (2009)
15. Blade Trinity (2004)
16. The Punisher (2004)
17. Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
18. Daredevil (2003)
19. Ghost Rider (2007)
20. Spider-Man 3 (2007)
21. Fantastic 4 (2005)
22. The Hulk (2003)
23. Punisher War Zone (2008)
24. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)
25. Elektra (2005)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 10:57:28 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I haven't seen -every- Marvel film. I only disagree with you in that I'd move Punisher farther up on the list and all the XMEN movies lower. They all blur together for me, and that to me is a sign of a bad franchise.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 5:29:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 5:46:04 PM PDT
I haven't seen all of these. Here's how I'd rate the ones I did see.

1. Spider-Man 2 (2004) - 5 stars
2. X-Men First Class (2011) - 5 stars
3. Iron Man (2008) - 5 stars
4. X-Men 2 (2003) - 5 stars
5. X-Men (2000) - 5 stars
6. Spider-Man (2002) - 5 stars
7. Thor (2011) -5 stars
8. Captain America (2011) - 4 stars
10. Iron Man 2 (2010) - 3 stars
11. The Incredible Hulk (2008) - 2.5 stars
12. X-Men 3 (2006) - 2.5 stars
13. X-Men Origins Wolverine (2009) - 2 stars
14. Spider-Man 3 (2007) - 2 stars
15.. Daredevil (2003) - 1.5 stars
16. Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) - 1.5 stars
17.. The Hulk (2003) - 1 star
18. Fantastic 4 (2005) - 1 star

I'm not much of a Marvel reader, so this isn't based on how close the movies stuck to the comics. Typically the second movie in these franchises will be more interesting, since the first has to spend so much time setting up the world and the character. Iron Man is the exception.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 5:37:32 PM PDT
We did a comic book movie ranking game awhile back (not exclusively Marvel), with these results:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Iron Man
4. Superman
5. X-2
6. Rocketeer
7. Watchmen
8. Spider-Man 2
9. V for Vendetta
10. Spider-Man
11. Batman (89)
12. Superman 2
13. Captain America (2011)
14. Iron Man 2
15. American Splendor
16. Ghost World
17. X-men
18. X-men: First Class
19. Danger: Diabolik
20. A History of Violence

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 7:45:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2012 7:47:04 AM PDT
A History of Violence was a comic book? Also, never heard of Danger: Diabolic, Ghost World or American Splendor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 10:24:21 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
>"Also, never heard of Danger: Diabolic, Ghost World or American Splendor."<

Then you missed out on the best comic book movies, Mad Jak!

I'm not a Marvel fan, but I admit 'Spider-Man 2' was well made.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:37:18 AM PDT
"Then you missed out on the best comic book movies, Mad Jak!"

Apparently, so did a lot of people, because I didn't see a whole lot of reviews for any of them. Usually, movies that were not straight to DVD releases have at least a few hundred after they've been out for a few months. I don't pay attention to straight to video released if that's what you're asking. If these were in theaters, I definately heard nothing about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 7:44:59 AM PDT
"Danger: Diabolik" was a foreign film from the 60's or 70's. "Ghost World" was a non-superhero movie starring Scarlett Johansen and Thorah Birch and the "funny-lookin" guy from "Fargo" back in the 90's, I think. "American Splendor" was another non-superhero movie about a man who writes/draws comics.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 8:48:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 8:49:34 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
I haven't seen all of the Marvel-based superhero movies just yet, but I've seen most of them. So I will post my top ten favorites...

1. Thor
2. Iron Man
3. X-Men 2
4. X-Men
5. Captain America
6. X-Men First Class
7. Iron Man 2
8. Ghost Rider - The scenes with the Ghost Rider cruising on his bike and melting asphalt, and riding up the side of skyscrapers etc. is worth viewing alone, IMO.
9. Fantastic Four - The comic books were among my most favorites when I was a kid growing up, and Jack Kirby is the King, so, this movie has a sort of nostalgic feel for me.
10. Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 10:08:48 AM PDT
Hikari says:
RnR--
I just rewatched 'Crimson Tide' a few nights ago, and there's an amusing bit of dialogue between XO Denzel Washington and an enlisted man. XO has just intervened in a brawl in the crew mess. In the corridor he demands to know what the fight was about. This is paraphrased from memory 'cause I can't find the screenplay anywhere.
-----

You wanna tell me what that was all about?
--I'd rather not talk about it, sir.
I don't give a damn what you don't want to talk about. What was it about?
--It's stupid, sir. Johnson insisted that the Mobius Silver Surfer was the best and I said no, the Kirby Silver Surfer was the best, and things just got out of hand.
G., you're a supervisor. You will be in line for a commission someday. Leadership means doing the right thing in the face of stupidity, and everyone who reads comic books knows that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the one and only Silver Surfer. Do I make myself clear?
--Yes, sir.
-----
It was a funny moment. Denzel rocked it. I understand that Quentin Tarentino was brought in to punch up the script, and he put that in.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 10:18:20 AM PDT
A.H. says:
The only decent MARVEL movies are Thor and Incredibel Hulk, though I look forward to MAN OF STEEL. (That's a Marvel movie, right?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 10:29:42 AM PDT
Hikari says:
No, Superman and Batman are DC Comics creations.
---
The fact that I even know this makes me somewhat uncomfortable. I don't read comic books . . .I just order them. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 10:33:21 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Haha...It's been a long while since I last saw the Crimson Tide movie and I just do not remember seeing that scene at all? Moebius is a wonderful artist who I remember most from reading his stories in early issues of the illustrated magazine "Heavy Metal". I've never read his Silver Surfer illustrated stories, that I can remember? But from looking at some samples of it online, they do look really good, but I'd still have to say that Kirby's style is more to my liking. They're both still really excellent artists though, no doubt.

Other favorite Marvel artists of mine are Steve Ditko, Herb Trimpe, and John Romita Sr.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 12:03:50 PM PDT
Cilantron,
Being your description of those 3 movies, I don't think any of them would count as a comic movie. When I saw comic book movie, I'm referring to movies that are directly based on an actual comic or graphic novel, and the comic has to be the original source.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 4:53:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 4:57:44 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Mad Jak hates spin-offs says: >"I don't pay attention to straight to video released if that's what you're asking."<

They were definitely theatrical-released movies. There's a world of difference between small, independent movies, and direct-to-video hackwork.

'Danger: Diabolic' (1968?) is made by the "Italian Hitchcock," Mario Bava. And it's a cult classic.
'Ghost World' (2001) is based on the underground comic by Daniel Clowes, and it is a first rate movie all the way, very well reviewed (not sure why you'd have trouble finding reviews for it; try Metacritic.)
And 'American Splendor' (2003, I think) is like 'Ghost World', also based on an underground comic classic. Also very well reviewed.

The thing these last two movies have in common is that they aren't Super Hero comic book movies. So if that's not what you want to watch, there you go.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 4:56:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 4:57:28 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Mad Jak hates spin-offs says:>"I'm referring to movies that are directly based on an actual comic or graphic novel, and the comic has to be the original source."<

'Ghost World', 'Danger: Diabolic', and 'American Splendor' all qualify as based directly on comic books. But they aren't Marvel-style modern action spectacles. So in that, they are at a remove from the movies you're talking about. Just like 'Road to Perdition' or 'A History of Violence' would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 12:21:03 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
If I recall Danger:Diabolik got the MST3K treatment, didn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 12:25:35 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Ghost World does qualify under those conditions. So does Road to Perdition for that that matter. The source material for Danger: Diabolik is foreign just like The Adventures of Tintin.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:33:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2012 1:35:35 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
C. J.,

>"If I recall Danger:Diabolik got the MST3K treatment, didn't it."<

Gee... I *hope not*. That would be worse than their goofing on 'This Island Earth' and 'Squirm'.
Can't say I'm a MST3K fan. At. All.

>>"The source material for Danger: Diabolik is foreign just like The Adventures of Tintin."<<

Yeah, I never read those.
Modesty Blaise, with the delicious Monica Vitti, would also qualify. I've never seen it, though, and have heard nothing but bad things, despite its being directed by Joseph Losey.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:41:07 AM PDT
Commenting on your first post...

24.5 Jonah Hex

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 8:40:49 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Jonah Hex is a DC character not a Marvel. For example Jonah appeared in the time travel story in JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED. He recognizes that the Superheroes are time-travellers saying "I've had an interesting life."

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 9:24:38 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
The best future Marvel Film will be Avengers vs. Justice League.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 5:57:29 AM PDT
Jonathan Baker,
I found out that Road to Perdition was based on a graphic novel but didn't know that until I watched the extras on the DVD. I really don't pay much attention to the indie comics such as Dark Horse, Image or the others. I've always been a Marvel fanboy and occasionlly some DC. There's just so much comics out there, it's impossible for me to keep track of everything so I have to pick and choose.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 6:50:43 AM PDT
R. Long says:
Gotta go with:

1. Iron Man
2. Spider Man 2
3. X-Men 2
4. Ang Lee's Hulk (yeah, I know, I know)
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Daredevil (Director's Cut, NOT Theatrical)
7. Captain America
8. Spider-Man
9. Blade
10. Thor
11. Punisher War Zone
12. Blade II
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. Iron Man 2
15. Spider-Man 3
16. The Punisher (2004)
17. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
18. X-Men (2000)
19. Elektra (Theatrical, haven't seen the Director's Cut)
20. Ghost Rider
21. Blade Trinity (such a disappointing end to an awesome series)
22. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
23. Fantastic Four

-I was wondering whether to include Conan the Barbarian in there. I know the character comes from Robert E. Howard's pulp novels, but so much of what made that movie great was borrowed from Roy Thomas' and Barry Windsor-Smith's epic run on the Marvel version. If I had decided to include it , it would've been Top 3 for me, easy.
-Haven't seen Ghost Rider 2 yet, but I hope it's a pleasant surprise, surpassing the original in the way Punisher War Zone did after the steaming pile that was the 2004 version of The Punisher. Critics trashed War Zone and yet it was the best Punisher adaptation to date--even if that's not saying much--and it had McNulty as Jigsaw!

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 10:20:18 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Marvel published Star Wars, Tarzan , and John Carter of Mars back in the 1970's.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions