Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Flogging A Dead Horse - sequels made AFTER the franchise-killer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2012 6:30:26 PM PDT
How on earth did the following get made ? How ?

Jaws 3
Batman 4
Rocky 5
Crank 2
Dirty Harry 5 (aptly named the Dead Pool)

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:02:42 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
The bigger question is how did Jaws 4 get made after Jaws 3?! One would have thought Jaws 3 had killed the whole thing right there!

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:04:28 PM PDT
BklynBoy says:
The name of the game is money:

Jaws 3:
Budget:
$20,500,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$13,422,500 (USA) (24 July 1983)
Gross:
$87,987,055 (Worldwide)

Batman 4:
Budget:
$125,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$42,872,606 (USA) (22 June 1997) (2934 Screens)
Gross:
$130,000,000 (Worldwide) (25 January 1998) (except USA)

Rocky 5:
Budget:
$42,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$14,073,170 (USA) (18 November 1990)
Gross:
$119,946,358 (Worldwide)

Crank 2:
Budget:
$20,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$6,963,565 (USA) (19 April 2009) (2223 Screens)
Gross:
$29,953,858 (Worldwide) (3 May 2009)

Dirty Harry 5:
Gross:
$37,903,295 (it was not the least profitable movie in the series (wikipedia.org))

None of the movies you mentioned lost money. The least profitable was 5 Mil in profits, the most profitable was almost 80 Mil in profit. If we keep paying to see them, hollywood will keep putting them out...

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:07:09 PM PDT
BklynBoy says:
LOL,

Jaws 4:
Budget:
$23,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$7,154,890 (USA) (19 July 1987)
Gross:
$51,881,013 (Worldwide)

Almost 30 Mil in profits... Like I said, they'll keep makin' them while we keep watchin' them...

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:16:40 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
BklynBoy

Thanks for looking up those surprising figures. Having made that much, one now wonders why they stopped with Jaws 3 and 4. It sounds like there could still be major money in that big fish. Maybe it's time for Jaws 5. Don't, however, consider remaking Jaws itself. Don't tamper with something so dang near perfect.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:58:39 PM PDT
BklynBoy says:
Cavardossi,

You are very welcome.

I don't see how Jaws will not get touched by the recent rise of horror remakes (Jason, Predator, Michael Myers, Freddy, Piranha, The Crazies, Last House on the Left, My Bloody Valentine, The Thing, And Soon the Darkness, I Spit On Your Grave, Fright Night, Prom Night, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (now with Nicole Kidman), The Omen, April Fools Day, etc., etc.) it's only a matter of time before we get to a Jaws sequel or remake... Many of those other movies are near perfect to me: the orginal Halloween, Fright Night, Freddy, Last House on the left, I Spit on Your grave, The Omen; but Hollywood felt that they could recycle the story and make money. They were right... Now they will continue to recycle until we get tired of seeing sequels/remakes.

Posted on May 7, 2012 9:39:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 9:45:05 PM PDT
Here's another...

'Superman IV: The Quest for Peace' (as if the 3rd one wasn't bad enough!)

>Wiki: "The film was both a critical failure and a box office bomb, becoming the lowest grossing Superman-film to date. Reeve later said, "the less said about Superman IV the better."

>"The production rights were given to Cannon Films, which cut the budget in half to $17 million."<

Domestic Total Gross (since 1987): $15,681,020.

***oops - I just checked. The 3rd 'Superman' actually made over 50 Million Dollars!
And here I was thinking it was a total bomb. It certainly LOOKED like a bomb on screen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:50:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 10:10:36 PM PDT
Q says:
Jaws remake has the possibility to rock!

I personally think the Freddy and Jason remakes weren't too bad. I even like Freddy vs. Jason.

And I love The Crazies remake (Timothy Olyphant is one of my faves).

Oh, I almost forgot! I will dare to say that the Halloween remake by Rob Zombie MAY have been cooler than the original. I liked seeing Michael's childhood. It gave him a much more simpatico quality.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:30:17 PM PDT
Balok says:
@BklynBoy:

> None of the movies you mentioned lost money. The least profitable was 5 Mil in profits

Even without the studio accounting magic that allows them to claim that a movie that cost $40 million to make and grossed $290 million lost money, a movie that cost $125 million to make and grossed $130 million almost certainly lost money for the studio, once you figure in the movie theatres' cut, advertising, paying any actors who were guaranteed a fraction of the gross, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:35:42 PM PDT
Balok says:
@Q:

> Jaws remake has the possibility to rock!

It's been done (_Deep Blue Sea_) -- the deaths of the three sharks were deliberate references to the first three _Jaws_ films. And while _Deep Blue Sea_ was pure formula -- from the minute that the characters are introduced, we already know that the two survivors will be the action hero and his comic-relief sidekick, and that the last one to die will be the Scientist Whose Invention Destroys Her -- there are two redeeming moments: when Samuel L. Jackson gets it where it hurts, and when Saffron Burrows takes off her clothes. The filmmakers were even smart enough to leave the latter scene until 15 minutes from the end because they realized that most of us would figure out within the first 15 minutes how bad this movie was, but would keep watching primarily in the hope that Saffron Burrows would eventually take her clothes off.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:38:47 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
I got to see it now!!

Posted on May 7, 2012 10:43:33 PM PDT
Balok says:
I realize that they kept the franchise going because of the great chemistry between Powell and Loy, but I think that the last three "Thin Man" films were much weaker than the first three.

In my purely personal opinion, once they introduced Boy into the series (I regret to say that I find Johnny Sheffield to be one of the most annoying child actors in cinema history), the producers of the "Tarzan" movies were quite obviously running out of ideas, and once Maureen O'Sullivan quit as Jane, there really wasn't any point in going on, except that they were still making money. I admit that _Tarzan's New York Adventure_ is on my list of Guilty Pleasures. I do not propose any explanations for that fact; I merely note it.

Posted on May 7, 2012 10:54:56 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Balok

I recall some critical praise for Deep Blue Sea when it came out, and not just for the effects. I saw the film once and enjoyed it, but I have no desire to ever see it again. Now, Jaws, that is seriously fun and scary entertainment. Jaws 2, for that matter, was rather fun, too, though not on the same quality level of the original.

I still hope Jaws isn't remade. I just think some movies should be left alone to be enjoyed as they were originally.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:56:49 PM PDT
Balok says:
@Cavardossi:

> I recall some critical praise for Deep Blue Sea when it came out, and not just for the effects.

Actually, the effects, particularly at the end, were fairly bad.

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:43:40 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I love Deep Blue Sea in the worst way. It is bad movie gold.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 7:35:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 7:41:33 PM PDT
BklynBoy says:
@Balok

>a movie that cost $125 million to make and grossed $130 million almost certainly >lost money for the studio

Don't forget there is additional revenue from, VHS sales (at the time), current domestic DVD sales, current international DVD sales, action figures, christmas toys, posters, McDonalds-Wendys-Burger King Super Sized Cups, McDonalds-Burger King kidz meals toys, etc. etc. etc.

George Lucas's majority early money was all based on Star Wars merchandise. To datestar wars tallys: 20 billion and counting of licensed goods, $4.4 billion in tickets and $3.8 billion in home entertainment products.

Movies with a huge fan base like Batman, rake it tons of case in merchandise past the actual motion picture. I'm sure they did not lose money on Batman 4, they just did not make enough to justify another sequel... (at the time)...

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:50:51 PM PDT
Balok says:
@Savage Lucy:

> I love Deep Blue Sea in the worst way. It is bad movie gold.

As someone who (a) has already confessed to an affection for _Tarzan's New York Adventure_ and (b) has admitted that he doesn't mind watching Saffron Burrows take her clothes off (to be fair to Ms. Burrows, I also don't mind watching her when she doesn't take her clothes off), I can assure you that you'll get no arguments or criticism from me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 10:01:22 PM PDT
Q says:
No way. I'll give you the Samuel L. Jackson kill, but who didn't see that coming! (I still jumped). The other best moment is when LL realizes they are all doomed and tells Jesus that he is going back to the bottle (and then almost gets cooked in his own oven). The part where the fat lady in the tower gets blown up was pretty cool, too.

I liked that movie. I have the vhs. I can't remember thinking the shark kills were in reference to Jaws...I'm gonna have to go rewatch it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 10:13:00 PM PDT
Balok says:
@Q:

> I can't remember thinking the shark kills were in reference to Jaws...I'm gonna have to go rewatch it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149261/trivia

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:09:50 PM PDT
Q says:
Good catch, Balok!

Did you get that while watching the movie? I probably would have never pieced it together.

I really like Deep Blue Sea.

Jaws is more like Freddy/Jason/Michael Myers shark (the slasher...killing those bad teens doing drugs and having sex), while Deep Blue Sea is more like Frankenstein/Island of Dr. Moreau shark (scientist fools around with nature, DNA, morality, etc., and then the creation gets smarter, turns evil, and kills her-him).

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 11:15:05 PM PDT
Q says:
Let's don't even bring up guilty pleasures. It could be its own thread! Haha.

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:44:47 PM PDT
I guess one reason they sometimes keep trying are films like Fast & Furious 4 and Rocky Balboa which out-of-the-blue suddenly revive stone-dead franchises
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  May 7, 2012
Latest post:  May 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions