Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Need your help in getting James Garner an Honorary Oscar

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2012 3:09:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2012 3:12:23 PM PST
Hi. A facebook page was just created for the purpose of getting James Garner an Honorary Oscar. You just need to go to the page and click LIKE. There is also a link at the page to sign a petition.

Page is: LIFE ACHIEVEMENT OSCAR FOR JAMES GARNER. Please, we need as many people as we can to join us in helping the great James Garner get his long overdue, richly deserved Oscar. Thank you. Remember to click LIKE, and/or sign the petition at this page.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 5:44:25 PM PST
J. Baker says:
I support this idea, but there's no way I'm going back on Facebook.
Best of luck!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:45:48 PM PST
Captain says:
Not me. I was playing golf at the Steamboat Springs (Co) country club one time and a ball came down right between us as we were getting ready to hit our approach shots to the green. Nobody yelled fore from the tee behind us. After we walked off the green to go to the next hole, the guy who had hit into us pulled up on his cart. It was James Garner.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 9:14:49 PM PST
Lord, give him a break!!! He is an actor not a golfer!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 9:15:47 PM PST
Go get'em!

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 12:03:51 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2012 12:07:38 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 12:06:13 AM PST
i was working as a police officer, when mr. garner had the incident with the golf ball, and his actions and attitude were not something i would write home about.
however he is a great actor, from maverick to sayonna to the rockford files, and a little known movie called toward the unknown; mr. garner does deserve an honorary oscar for his great body of film work.
thanks jeff b.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 2:16:19 PM PST
Thank you Deborah.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 2:18:00 PM PST
Thank you Jeffrey for being able to separate a man golfing and the great actor who absolutely deserves this honor.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:04:57 PM PST
J. Baker says:
I was working as a gopher when Mr. Garner had his golfing incident, and all I have to say is: "There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball....Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball."

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:10:52 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na
Da-da-da-da-da-da-da
No-no-no-no-no-no-no

Ty Webb: You take drugs, Danny?
Danny Noonan: Every day.
Ty Webb: Good.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 5:47:15 AM PST
M. Moore says:
Hey, Sloany, would you mind clarifying your post? I'm afraid I don't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 4:04:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012 4:05:45 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Ever seen 'Caddyshack'?

If not, I recommend it. It be a classic, man!

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 4:11:53 PM PST
J. Baker says:
1 of 5 people think 'Caddyshack' post adds to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 4:13:33 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
4 of 5 people need to 1. Get a sense of humor. and 2. Watch the friggin movie!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 4:22:20 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Are they Being the Ball yet? No, they aren't; therein lies the root of all problems of people on Earth.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 7:36:06 AM PDT
Balok says:
It seems to me that Garner made more of a contribution on TV (_Maverick,_ _The Rockford Files_) than he did in film. _The Americanization of Emily_ isn't exactly the kind of stuff that Lifetime Achievement Awards are made of.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 8:57:18 AM PDT
Hey, don't forget Mr. Garner's work in the classic "The Great Escape."

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 10:04:47 AM PDT
stevign says:
Garner was excellent in........

Barbarians at the Gate
Murphy's Romance
Victor Victoria
The Great Escape

Garner is married to Lois Clarke, whom he met at an "Adlai Stevenson for President" rally in 1956. They married 14 days later on August 17, 1956. "We went to dinner every night for 14 nights. I was just absolutely nuts about her. I spent $77 on our honeymoon, and it about broke me."

According to Garner, "Marriage is like the Army; everyone complains, but you'd be surprised at the large number of people who re-enlist".

He has one daughter: Greta "Gigi" Garner.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 4:08:01 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>Balok says:
"It seems to me that Garner made more of a contribution on TV (_Maverick,_ _The Rockford Files_) than he did in film. _The Americanization of Emily_ isn't exactly the kind of stuff that Lifetime Achievement Awards are made of."<

The man has a point, the man definitely has a point. But seeing as how Garner was moviedom's strongest Wyatt Earp, in a wide field of strong contenders, that's quite an accomplishment there. Of course, 'Hour of the Gun' isn't that well remembered today, so that's another thing to contend with. A LAAward for TV would be a cinch, though.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 4:33:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:58:27 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 6:58:44 PM PDT
I think James Garner is like Angela Lansbury. Each did films and both were good, but they each made their biggest impact, by far, on TV. I think they should be given every possible accolade for their work on the small screen. They are both wonderfully talented and appealing, and there is no mystery as to why they were so popular with millions of viewers, not just in America but globally. It'd be hard to think of characters more likable than the ones they made famous on "Rockford" and "Murder She Wrote", and their personal magnetism had a lot to do with that.

But---since one Honorary Oscar, and only one, is given out a year to actors, I think there are many movie actors and actresses with stronger cinematic achievements than Garner or Lansbury, and I think honoring them ought to take precedence.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 12:31:47 AM PDT
Balok says:
@W. David English:

"I think James Garner is like Angela Lansbury. Each did films and both were good, but they each made their biggest impact, by far, on TV."

Good analogy, although off the top of my head, I can think of more great or near-great films in which Angela Lansbury appeared than in which James Garner did, although admittedly, she did have more than a decade headstart.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 6:02:04 AM PDT
She was in "Gaslight" and "The Manchurian Candidate", both of which are considered semi-classics. Garner's biggest films were probably "Grand Prix", "The Americanization of Emily", and "Victor/Victoria". Not bad, but not really classics.

There's no shame whatsoever in making your biggest impact on TV. Martin Sheen did. Alan Alda did. Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke did. Candice Bergen did. Cybill Shepherd did. Lucille Ball did. Jackie Gleason did. All of these people worked in films, but I don't think any of them really deserve (or deserved) Lifetime Achievement Oscars. Not as long as there remain a lot of film actors who have made significant contributions but have yet been so honored.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 6:35:21 AM PDT
Balok says:
@W. David English:

> [Angela Lansbury] was in "Gaslight" and "The Manchurian Candidate", both of which are considered
> semi-classics.

Don't forget the flagon with the dragon.

> Garner's biggest films were probably "Grand Prix", "The Americanization of Emily", and "Victor/Victoria".
> Not bad, but not really classics.

I've always had a soft spot for "Support Your Local Sheriff!" I haven't seen "Skin Game" since around the time it came out (the following summer at a Drive-In, to be precise), so my memories are necessarily vague, but I seem to recall that it was pretty good.

Do you think that having him kiss Julie Andrews in "Victor/Victoria" only after he already knew that "he" was really a woman was a necessary plot point, or a copout?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions