Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite Cheesy Horror Films, & Why

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 11:36:29 PM PDT
I'm a big fan of cheesy horror. What are some of your favorite films to fit this description? & why do you like them?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:48:49 PM PDT
Stan Giesea says:
Well, I suppose it depends on how one defines "cheesy," but I think no such list would be complete without Hershell Gordon Lewis' BLOOD FEAST, an abhorrently amoral and gleefully gory omelette du fromage.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 6:34:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 4, 2012 6:31:43 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 6:45:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 22, 2012 7:16:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:04:46 PM PDT
"Horror Hotel" (aka City of the Dead) is cheesy but it has a bit of style and fun. Christopher Lee gets major billing even though he's in it for about five minutes. It's been parodied (footage of it was even used in an SNL skit). Basically a burned witch from the 1800's is back in 1960, running a creepy little inn where she needs a yearly sacrifice ... and luckily a pert young blonde college student, Nan Barlow, has just checked in.
I like that it's over the top, that the directing is as subtle as an air-horn (a character is about to be stabbed and we smash-cut to a happy party where cake is being sliced), and that the witch Elizabeth Selwyn becomes reincarnated as proprietress Mrs. Newless (basically a mixing of the names: Selwyn, Newlys).

Another black and white delight is "Carnival of Souls". It rises above typical 60's spooktaculars with its melancholy visits to a deserted seaside amusement park, and a generally eerie tone throughout. It's not great but it has a certain something, a Twilight-Zone flavor.

Of course I love "Plan 9 From Outer Space". You could find dozens and dozens of mistakes and laughable moments in that. Classic cheese stinkeroo extraordinaire.

"I Bury the Living" is another Twilight Zoney film that has a ridiculous plot but also a quality that wins you over somehow. Just when you start enjoying it, you notice that the main character's sweaty brow is actually tiny glass beads glued to his face. lol...

I also must add "Suspiria" by Dario Argento, a 1977 Italian movie that many horror fans adore-- but I find it hilarious. It may have some obvious 'style' (garish colors/lighting, operatic sets) but it makes up for that with a furry bat on a string, a snoring old witch, and some awful dubbing. It's just fun to poke fun at this flick.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 2:37:02 AM PDT
Balok says:
I've said it before, and no doubt I'll say it again, but I feel that I have to put in a good word for two cheesy anthology films: "Asylum" (the 1972 movie written by Robert Bloch) and "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors." I vote for the former because it was the subject of a dispute about whether it was too scary (It was the third feature at a drive-in; I voted for "not" but since I was too young to drive, you can guess who won the argument). Regarding the latter, the Donald Sutherland (yes, you read that correctly) segment concludes with what IMO must be considered among the 100 greatest lines in movie history.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:50:12 PM PST
mack says:
Attack of The Crab Monsters....A real loser...

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 6:57:36 PM PST
Georgedc says:
Grotesque Blu-ray DVD Combo

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:59:15 AM PST
christian says:
Sabretooth. So bad it's good. Gaping plot holes and a general lack of common sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 4:56:56 PM PST
mack says:
Attack of The Crab Monsters!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:39:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 5:40:26 PM PST
Rats - Night of Terror(1984). This was directed by Bruno Mattei and it's pretty awful. The story is like a cross between Road Warrior and Night of the Living Dead thrown into a blender. In the post apocalyptic future a roving biker gang with tons of hairspray comes across a town infested with mutant killer rats.
One great scene shows a 'mass attack' of rats that's actually a bunch of stuffed guinea pigs on a conveyor belt.
But no horrible horror film would be complete without inane lines like: Man, trying to fix computer "This stupid machine needs a kick in the balls!"
There's even a cheesily mind-bending twist at the end.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 9:58:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 10:25:47 AM PST
The Green Slime [Remaster]
This is a great 1968 flick about a group of astronauts on a space station who have to destroy a huge asteroid that is heading towards Earth on a collision course by setting explosives on it and in the process they end up contaminating the station with a green alien substance that clings to one the astronauts suit and soon transforms into a horde of these big blob-like green creatures with electrified tentacles and big red cyclopean eyes. Great cheesy fun for a boring late night viewing. It also has one of the coolest 60s theme songs ever recorded.

Green Slime music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKESo2ofEcw

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 10:05:34 AM PST
I still haven't seen this one yet and really want to. I noticed that they have it on You Tube, but it's in Italian language with no subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 12:52:39 PM PST
Rock, I don't think you'd miss much of Rats without the english language track, except that one line about the computer lol.
I got it on a 2-pack with Hell of the Living Dead which is the 'better' movie.
Green Slime was a hoot. Sort of a low-budget 'Alien' shlockfest.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 1:00:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 1:02:07 PM PST
Anyone remember 'Motel Hell'? How about 'Soylant Green'? "It takes all kinda critters to make Vincents fritters."
My one big gripe with Soylant Green is that people didn't get suspicious earlier. If a big scooper dragged off your neighbors to the Soylant factory wouldnt you be suspicious?

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 1:36:35 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
Rubber [HD]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 2:12:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 2:13:20 PM PST
Oh sure, I watched Motel Hell again not too long ago actually. Great cheesy 80s horror flick.

Another great one from the 80's that you might remember, Tourist Trap with Chuck Connors and Tanya Roberts.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 2:31:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 2:32:28 PM PST
JagdTiger says:
Yes,it is good cheese flick with robert horton/richard jaeckel...song should be played on halloween!

The movie grizzly is also good,a little gory but not much..

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:32:53 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
Frogs

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:48:12 PM PST
Swamp Thing is a fun flick starring Adrienne Barbeau and the titular comic book type plant/creature. One day ol' Swampy catches a glimpse of Ms Barbeau bathing in the buff, and Pow, he's in love. There are government bad guys and a crazy scientist that get in the way of the 'budding' romance. Directed by Wes Craven.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 3:18:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 6:04:18 PM PST
That's another movie that I really need to see again. I haven't seen it in ages. Adrienne Barbeau also stars in three more of my favorite cheesy flicks from the 80s, Escape From New York, The Fog, and The Cannonball Run.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions