Customer Discussions > Movie forum

actors or actresses who did not become stars but should have!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2012 5:37:39 PM PDT
I'll start with two, first Toby Wing a better looking gaL NEVER CAME OUT of Hollywood,she was in some B-movies,small parts in A-Movies (42 street) did some one reelers,but never made it big.
second Alice White,sexy,shaply,real funny had some good parts but fadded,I understand because of things in her personal life

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 5:45:57 PM PDT
Dolores Hart. Far more talented than the other young actresses of that period. Whenever I hear her name, I think of the great things she might have accomplished. It's her life, of course, and she may have been wise to abandon Hollywood for her religious order, but nevertheless, I feel cheated because of what might have been.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 5:59:07 PM PDT
Jeff what was she in?

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 6:07:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 6:09:31 PM PDT
Michael,

Loving You, Wild Is the Wind, King Creole, Lonely Hearts, Where the Boys Are, Francis of Assisi, Sail a Crooked Ship, and Lisa. All this from about 1957 to 1963.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 6:11:40 PM PDT
jeff i'll check here out i've seen some of those movies

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 6:58:39 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Jeff Donaldson

You may feel cheated by Dolores Hart's leaving Hollywood, but Mother Dolores has no regrets whatever. She is very happy having followed her true calling as a Benedictine nun. She has let it be known that she enjoyed her movie career, but has no doubts that she did the right thing.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:10:01 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Keep in mind that for every Dolores Hart there are dozens of Jean Harlows and Lindsey Lohans. (Lohan may be seen as a joke now, but it was only a few years back she was seen as a true emerging talent. I think her career peak was Mean Girls.)

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:15:58 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Oh, man, where to start...

* Frank Whaley ('Swimming with Sharks'; 'Pulp Fiction')

* Madeleine Potter ('Two Evil Eyes' and Merchant Ivory films... she could start wars with her looks, and talent to spare.)

* Alison Elliott ('Underneath'; 'The Wings of the Dove')

* Treat Williams ('Once Upon a Time in America'; 'Smooth Talk')

* Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio ('The Abyss'; 'The Perfect Storm')

* Bruce Campbell ('Army of Darkness'; 'The Hudsucker Proxy')

* Rachel Weisz (I know she's well known, and gets SOME good roles, but good gawd ya'll, she's got Everything -- beauty, brains, talent up the wazzoo -- she ought to be HUGHLY famous and sought after; maybe she's picky about her roles, like Naomi Watts... see her in 'Agora' and Terence Davies's new movie out now: 'The Deep Blue Sea'!)

* Chiwetel Ejiofor (see: Rachel Weisz... I'm not gay, but dude is handsome as hell, truth; known for 'Children of Men' & 'Red Belt', and -- unfortunately -- '2012')

* Madeleine Stowe ('The Last of the Mohicans'; 'Bad Girls'... wow, what happened to her?!)

* Jesse Bradford ('King of the Hill'; in 'Flags of Our Fathers', he's called "Tyrone Power" jokingly, so good looking is he - unlike Power, he's consistently good and overlooked.)

. . .I'd better stop there, before this gets too long (as the delivery man said to the lonely housewife.)

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 11:55:05 PM PDT
Cavardossi,

I appreciate the additional information offered, of course, but I should say that I've been a fan for over fifty years so I've tried to pay attention when information about her became available. I am aware that she is happy with her decision. I never thought otherwise.

Perhaps it was the word "cheated" that prompted your response. I could have used a different word, maybe something not packed with so much emotion. I suppose I'm an average filmgoer, but I do think I'm more performance-oriented that many, and I thought she was special and had the potential to become one of our finest actresses ever. That's all it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 12:11:56 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Madeline Stowe is actually prominently featured in a hit TV series called "Revenge" that airs on ABC on Wednesday nights. It has nothing to do with the film she Jim Harrison based-movie she where she played Anthony Quinn's wife. It's a modern day retelling of the Count of Monte Christo. Stowe is top-billed and his the protoganist's chief nemesis.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:02:26 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Re: "Madeline Stowe is actually prominently featured in a hit TV series called "Revenge" that airs on ABC on Wednesday nights"<

Thanks, C. J. Vasta, I had no idea (Broadcast TV eludes me, lately.) Maybe I'll give it a looksee when I get hooked up again. My TV remains in a moving box.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 12:27:49 PM PDT
Cavardossi,

Dolores Hart's Oscar nominated film, "God Is the Bigger Elvis," is on HBO today and, I believe, on Tuesday. Anyway, it's in the rotation so check it out if you can. Should be good.

Oh, and you too, Michael.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 12:35:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2012 1:00:30 PM PDT
MARJORIE WHITE

White was an up-and-coming comedic-actress of the 1920s and '30s. She is best remembered today for her role in the first Columbia Three Stooges short, "Woman Haters" (1934). During her all-too-brief career, she appeared in a few Broadway musicals, as well as a small handful of features. She died in a car accident in 1935 at the age of 31. What a loss. She had the potential to become one of the era's leading comic actresses. What could have been.

Marjorie White in "Sunny Side Up" (1929)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXBLEn6JtuQ

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 12:55:14 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
One word: Hulu. ABC also has streaming but not as good. Of course I'm presuming you aren't posting from a 386 with dial-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:36:38 PM PDT
there might be dozens of Lindsey Lohans,but there was only one Jean Harlow!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:41:29 PM PDT
great reply Cav.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:46:26 PM PDT
The Three stooges had a lot of nice looking women in the short films

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 6:58:44 AM PDT
Eric Edwards says:
Gema Craven was so absolutely feminine in the Slipper and the Rose that when she sings my knees turn to jelly and my mind to mush!! The man who she settled down with ticks me off.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:13:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 7:13:40 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
>C. J. Vasta: "Of course I'm presuming you aren't posting from a 386 with dial-up."<

As an irksome matter of fact, I am connected via painfully slow dial-up now. So no Hulu for the meantime.
Thanks, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 8:24:31 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@eric
Gemma Craven was indeed a great beauty. I saw that movie on late, late, late night TV when I was in middle school and I wanted to be Cinderella in the worst way. Of course, I had a huge crush on Richard Chamberlain at the time. If Gemma could not turn him straight, then he must have really been serious about his alternative lifestyle. She was gorgeous.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 11:56:18 AM PDT
Yep, Lohan had talent, but the rest of the starlets really caught up as she neglected her career.

The turning point was "I know Who..." She decided it would be a good idea to play a stripper at 18 in a "thriller."

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:57:14 AM PDT
Alisen Down, a canadian starlet who never really caught on; now she's over 35.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 1:13:50 PM PDT
Ronald Simon says:
Jeff i would like to agree with you,Dorlois is a great actress and I was surprised that Deloris went into the convent.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:12:19 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
When I was a little boy going to the movies, I developed a crush on Eleanor Parker. I thought she was one of the most beautiful ladies on the screen. Years later, I still do. She actually was pretty big in the 40s and 50s, and, I believe, was Oscar nominated a time or two, but she is rarely considered one of the big stars of the day. My guess is that outside of her supporting role in The Sound of Music, most people today have no idea who she was. I have often wondered why she wasn't bigger.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions