Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What is a "Triple Maroon"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 11:41:56 AM PST
Sometimes in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, when he gets annoyed at someone, he calls them a "triple maroon". (at least that's what it sounds like) What does this expression mean? Wikipedia doesn't have it listed.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:18:53 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Maroon, in Looney Tunes talk is "moron".

Bugs is referring to Elmer Fudd not just as "What a maroon", but a "triple maroon". That is, he does not think highly of Elmer's cognitive abilities. Or, he might be talking about Marvin the Martian.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:14:57 PM PST
Thanks for the Looney Tunes lesson. All this years I wondered why Bugs Bunny called people "three shades of red". LOL

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 1:28:44 AM PST
Balok says:
Does Bugs Bunny ever actually call anyone a "triple maroon"? I've heard him call people an "*ultra* maroon," which is a double play on words (maroon / moron, ultra-maroon / ultramarine).

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 7:13:37 AM PST
D. Larson says:
It reminds me of the maritime tragedy that happened when a freighter headed for China with a cargo of dark red paint collided with a tanker filled with brown gravy, headed for the all-you-can-eat buffets of America.

The two vessels broke up and spilled their contents into the sea. And the unfortunate sailors?

They were marooned.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:31:56 PM PST
I thought in a cartoon when Bugs was dealing with the Tasmanian Devil, he called him a triple maroon. Which is more of a "put-down"...ultra or triple. LOL

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 3:37:39 PM PST
OOPS...I guess I was wrong...Looked up ultra maroon on wikipedia and there it was. Not triple after all, I guess my hearing aide was a click to low. LOL
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

ARRAY(0x9e7c939c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions