Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

What's the best player for Audiobooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2015 3:12:40 PM PST
Thanks, D. After lots of trial and error I find I can drag and drop the downloaded book into "Audio Books", where it behaves properly !!!! I like OverDrive better, but my libraries are getting fewer and fewer new audio books. So I now have OneClick as an alternative if I run out of books ! Vi

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 2:28:51 PM PST
bookworm604 says:
AudioFile presents SYNC which gives away 2 free Audios books a week from early May to mid August this year. www.audiobooksync.com to sign up for e-mail. They give away one Young Adult title and one other title that relates to the Young Adult title. They work through the OverDrive app and they are yours to keep.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2015 2:15:57 PM PST
Janice Long says:
When using OverDrive and downloading to your Clip you can change the path for your audiobooks and in that way download them to Audiobooks folder rather than Music folder. The default for the Sansa products is Music. When you are transferring to your clip and are at the place that shows the path (which will be Music\etc.) click Advanced Options and change the path by deleting Music and substituting Audiobooks. All parts of the audiobook will be moved to the proper folder by this one change.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2015 1:10:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2015 1:12:00 AM PST
D. says:
The simple solution is to change the genre of the files to audiobook then it won't matter what folder it's in .You may find that alot of the books you download from OneClick are not tagged no track numbers,album tile,author/artist. That is why it is a good idea to learn how to use a tagging app or learn how to tag files using Windows. One Click has lots of books that overdrive may not have or does not have a long waiting list for them.

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 9:13:09 PM PST
Does anyone here use OneClick ? I'm sure I won't use it as much as OverDrive, but it would be nice if I could get it to work properly ! I have figured out how to download the books from the library, and can transfer to my Sansa Clip+. However I don't get to choose which folder it goes into, and it puts itself in "Songs". That would be OK , I could remember where it is and it plays fine - except it doesn't "resume" where you left off. The book I downloaded has 21 parts, so this is very irritating !!! If anyone knows of a SIMPLE solution I'd be grateful . Vi

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2015 8:05:21 AM PST
K. R. says:
I have an additional card at the Free Library of Philadelphia, they have a very large inventory. The cost is $50 per year but very worth it. I can find almost anything I want there.

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 8:02:48 AM PST
bookworm604 says:
As I work in a library, I know we require you to apply in person. In my state the 2 largest "cities" have their own separate OverDrives (and require you to be a resident there) and a lot of the bigger towns and a number of the smaller towns buy into one run by the State Library Commission. You can go on the main OverDrive website and check on the area around you to see where there are libraries close and call to see if they offer free cards. Just google OverDrive.

Posted on Feb 7, 2015 12:19:52 AM PST
D. says:
Since I know I posted this info a while ago I will post it again. I don't know what state you live in but I can say for sure in the state of California you can get a library card from any library within the state free of charge. You do have to show up in person & most will allow renewal via the phone. You will need some kind of picture ID & proof you live in the state like a recent utility bill or state ID/driver's license. In California Los Angeles City library system has the largest database of Ebooks & audiobooks(23,659 audiobooks & 104,010 ebooks)I've gotten a card from & they have gotten every book I have recommended thru Overdrive's additional titles recommendation. The other info on libraries that will allow you to obtain a card for a yearly fee http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2011/09/22/library-ebooks-for-non-residents-where-to-get-ebooks-if-your-library-is-lacking/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2015 9:52:31 PM PST
Catfish man says:
I think Austin, TX used to offer out-of-state patrons a card to access electronic downloads (Overdrive audiobooks and ebooks) for a yearly fee, but you had to get it in person, as in go to Austin once a year. There are old threads in the Kindle forum you can search that might uncover any other libraries that offer out-of-state or out-of-area cards for a fee, they may have out-of-date information but it is a place to start. I haven't found much. I would like to know where they are and how to get a card too.

Almost all libraries are taxpayer funded to some degree and only allow patrons from their own areas. That stinks for those of us who live on the outside in smaller rural areas without any selection or library budgets.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2015 8:36:37 PM PST
There are books out there that have expired copyrights and some of those have been made in the audiobooks, which can be obtained for little or no charge at all. But all recently published audiobooks will definitely have a charge. Nobody still alive gives their work away for free.

And as far as library cards are concerned, I'm afraid I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 8:36:22 PM PST
I know what you mean, Linda. I have managed to get two library cards, one at my local small town library and another in the next major city. However, I did have to present myself in person to apply - so that limited the areas I checked ! Quite a long time ago this subject came up in this forum and several people gave information on getting cards in other states - I seem to recall that places like Houston and Boston were mentioned, you could apply from out of state but there would be a charge. See if you can scroll back far enough on here to find those messages. I am finding that my libraries are getting fewer new audio books, and sometimes the waiting list is huge ! For instance, John Grisham's "Gray Mountain" has about 65 people on the waiting list ! Have you checked around in your state and county to see if you are eligible at any other libraries? Good luck. Vi

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2015 8:17:23 PM PST
There are books out there that have expired copyrights and some of those have been made in the audiobooks, which can be obtained for little or no charge at all. But all recently published audiobooks will definitely have a charge. Nobody still alive gives their work away for free.

And as far as library cards are concerned, I'm afraid I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2015 7:16:53 PM PST
Does anyone have suggestions about where I can get additional library cards for a better selection of audiobooks to download. I know some of them have a charge.

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 6:09:05 PM PST
D. says:
I use the genre tag method since I have other players. Besides the fact I am anal about those things.Bad tagging can cause you think a player has issues when it doesn't. Like files don't play in sequence. It pays to learn how to use a good tagging app.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 3:18:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2015 3:20:42 PM PST
Nicki says:
Worked perfect! I am so glad you told me to look for the external before advanced or I would not have found it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 3:12:00 PM PST
jj2me says:
"IMPORTANT for auto-book marking the files on a Sansa player is to change the genre tag to Audiobook."

Actually, on the Sandisk Clip and Clip+ players (and several others), you can get the resume function using either of these two methods:
- Change genre tag on each audiobook file to "Audiobook" (singular), as you stated, or
- Load audiobook files into a folder under "Audiobooks" (plural).

My link a few posts above gives the steps for the 2nd method. Nicki also uses that 2nd method.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 3:04:48 PM PST
Nicki says:
I'll try to download a book now and see what happens. I'll only be using Overdrive. I worked in a bookstore for 18 years and I am too use to reading for FREE to buy anything :)

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 3:01:44 PM PST
"A chips class is generally written in a circle on the face of the chip." Thanks, Wayne for explaining what this is !!!! People always assume that everyone knows these things - at 77 all this technology is over my head !! Simple is good !
As I'm putting together an Amazon order I shall order the "Ultra" card and if I don't need the adaptor, that's fine - you never know when it might come in handy for some other device !! It's not like they are expensive - really, I just wanted to make sure that I get the right kind for my Sansa Clip + and Overdrive books - which I absolutely love !!!! Thanks to all for the info - it's been very interesting. I may be back !!!!!! Ha! Ha! Vi

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 2:56:41 PM PST
Sherrylj says:
Nikki,
I'm sure you figured out that the tiny card does go into the clip and stays there until you want to use it in a different player or put a new card in. Cleaning up the metadata isn't necessary if you only use overdrive books. Overdrive only needs to be told to put the book into the audiobook folder instead of of the music folder, and if you want to use a card you need to change the location to "external" where it defaults to "internal". You do this before clicking advanced. The path shows above the advanced button and you just overtype it. Internal means the player and external means the card. Everything else is taken care of by the overdrive program. If you graduate to buying audiobooks and copying them from CD's then you will need to know a little more but overdrive makes it easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 2:45:57 PM PST
AshenTech says:
Wayne oh mac you can just use itunes to deal with all of it, but at least in the past there was a mac app it just used itunes to do all its work....so....

check if any of the books your after are on emusic, also check scribd for books you like, emusic is drm free mp3, and scribd is 8.99/mo for unlimited ebooks/audiobooks (think netflix but ur whole fam can use the same acct)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 2:45:54 PM PST
Given the circumstances stated in this message, then my answer would be no you cannot need the adapter.

If you plug the SDHC chip to the players slot and the player into a USB port on your computer then you do not need the adapter.

Sorry for the confusion

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 2:42:44 PM PST
AshenTech says:
my advice is buy class 10 cards 16 or 32gb since the price is so close to class4(normaly slowest you can find) today, and lets be honest, the faster the books on the player the sooner you can start listening to it.

this also makes it so you have a card you can yank and toss in another device if you need it, like i use to do with my 16gb card and my mothers phone(had a nice camara but only 8gb internal storeage..) would toss the card in take pictures, take it out, toss it back in my cowon audio player..(and could even view the images on the player :P )

i REALLY recommend just buying a cheap dual or quad core android phone thats got at least 2gb ram/memory, 16gb storege+card slot or better, you can get working phones 1-2 gens old pretty cheap, if you get for example a samsung galaxy s3 your looking at $80-$120 for a working phone in good condition that may even have a good ESN(can be activated as a phone if you want/need at some point), most of them i have seen are 8 or 16gb, with card slot that will take most 64gb cards sold today once the os is updated.

you will have a larger device then the clip+, but you will also have better battery life, easier download/sync of audio books, if you install any of a few free apps, you can even use it as a phone to sent/receive calls free!!!!

main reason i suggest samsung products is the wealth of 3rd party accessories like extended batteries and cases, and because the hardware is pretty good.

if you can get a note2 cheap thats in good shape, its a great phone, if you can get a note3(either version) do it, i LOVE mine....i use Neutron Media Player to listen to music and audio books, mostly because its got a version you can install from their site that makes more efficient use of your devices cpu, (uses less cpu so less battery drain!!!)

note: i have tested neutron on a droid 2 thats a single core 1000mhz setup with 512mb ram and at least the neutron version works amazingly well....smooth as silk....so even OLD devices can make decent players....note: i have android 4.0.x installed on the droid 2 not 2.x

I still suggest a cheap smart phone option, i use almost no data(under 1gb last 2 months) you can get one 2nd hand without even activating the phone part, just using it as an android tablet/media player, the nice thing is, you could get on scribd using an android device thats got a modern android version installed......8.99/mo unlimited ebooks and audiobooks from there selection....dosnt sound bad to me when the books buffer to your device via wifi and you can listen to them anywhere once they are downloaded :)

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 2:24:52 PM PST
General information concerning transferring audible books to your MP3 players internal memory or external SDHC cardp llt:

if you are using the Windows operating system and are buying books from audible, then download audibles piece of software "audible manager", and learn how to use it. This piece of software can greatly simplify transferring audible books between your computer and your MP3 player. I have no idea whether or not a version of this software exists for Apple computers.

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 2:23:39 PM PST
I think my question was missed - the first card mentioned (below) is just called Microsd the second one is evidently newer and is called Ultra and comes with an adaptor. They both seem to be about the same price.
I just want to download books from Overdrive onto a card, and if I understand correctly - with the card inserted into the Sansa Clip+ , the menu will have a new option "external" , which will download onto the card instead of directly into the MP3 player. There is a slot on the side of the Sansa Clip + that is for a micro SD card - so would I still need the adaptor that comes with the "Ultra" card mentioned below ?

" can you tell me the difference between these two kinds? and what is the Adaptor that evidently comes with the "new" one? I would get either 8GB or 16GB I think.

SanDisk 16GB Mobile Microsd Card
SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up To 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-016G-G4A [Newest Version] "

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 2:16:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2015 2:34:20 PM PST
VG Eastwood

SDHC memory cards come in different qualities, this "quality" is the speed at which information is transferred between the chip itself and whatever it is plugged into, and is expressed in a number between 1 (I think) and 10. The bigger the number the faster the data transfer rate. This number is referred to as the chip's class.

Fortunately, for you and I, audible books work just fine with the slower less expensive memory cards, whereas your camera might appreciate the faster class 10 memory card. I suggest you do not buy a chip at all if the webpage does not mention it's class. A chips classes generally written in a circle on the face of the chip.

A class 4 16GB SDHC chip is generally cheaper then a class 10 16GB SDHC chip. If you have some other electronic device that can make use of the faster class of memory chips, and you plan on sharing this chip between electronic devices, then go ahead and buy the faster chip. But if you are only going to use it for audible books then buy a slower class chip. It will save you money.

Also, most SDHC chips come with adapters although some do not. A reader, which is what is required to plug the SDHC chip into a computer's USB port is almost always an additional purchase.

Money-saving tip:
If you can find a "used" chip then by that one. Chips have no moving parts and therefore do not wear out. If you buy a used chip then what you have bought is a chip that someone has opened, cannot figure out what to do with it and returned it for a refund. You have simply bought a ship whose package has been opened. It still has the original warranty.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 143 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  420
Total posts:  3561
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2007
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 88 customers

Search Customer Discussions