Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

What's the best player for Audiobooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 1:51:33 PM PST
Similar question -- what about iAudio/Cowon F2? I am looking for decent priced mp3 player (I don't intend to watch to videos, FM support for me is also a no-need). iPod and Zen are no go for me -- too restricted for Windows only, I could get problem using them with Linux.

F2 on the other hand is ugly looking but has all features I need, UMS/MTP, standard mini-USB, quite long battery life. The only missing part is -- how good is bookmarking there?

( Btw. I also considered Clix2 from iRiver, stunning user interface, but AFAIK it only supports bookmarking for .aa files, not for any mp3, ogg, etc. -- really awkward but this elimates this player from my wishlist).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 7:19:36 PM PST
My Cowon D2 just arrived. I purchased it after giving up on iRiver support. iRiver is a good piece of hardware for audible.com books but if you need repair or replacement under warrantee, it is absolutely worthless. The D2 right out of the box needs the firmware updated. If you follow the instructions exactly, it installs the Audible option onto the unit. It took me a couple of runs at Audible Manager to get the device to sync, but it worked after using the Bill Gates technique (start over). It recognizes the audible bookmarks (chapter breaks) but so far I have not been successful in getting it to resume where it paused when turned off. I understand that is a bug to be fixed with future firmware although I read a blog somewhere from someone who seemed to get it to work and am looking to find it again.

Although the touch screen will not be an advantage for audbile books, what drove my decision to try this unit was two fold - sound quality and battery life. The latter was critical for me. My first iRiver would last up to 20 hours. My Generation II iRiver would not make it past 6 or 7. Up to 50 hours is an offset of simpler operation for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 9:07:57 PM PST
I appreciate everyone's good posts, but I am as confused as ever. I bought a Creative Zen V Plus last week, spent a long time downloading both music and a couple of books, since I'm leaving for Japan next week and want something that will take me through the long flights and layovers.
I reluctantly returned the Zen V Plus today because of the following: 1. no matter what I tried, I could not get the bookmark feature to work. 2. I bought an AC charger since I won't be taking my laptop to Japan, and when I plugged it in, it drained the battery completely overnight. 3. When I loaded CDs onto it, it would add three or four copies of each track.
Since many people on this board seem quite happy with their Creative Zen V Plus units, I'm wondering if this was just a bad unit and I should try again, or if I made major errors or what! I have an old Sansa 1 GB c140 which has been fine, but has no bookmarking, plus the FM has a very annoying buzz after it's been on for a few minutes. I can eliminate the buzz by pressing the menu button, but that gets old real fast!
So I'm in a quandry, plus a time crunch of having to get ready to leave for Japan in 10 days.
I want to be able to use books from my local library, and they use OverDrive. Their website has a list of compatible devices, but I think the list is out of date. It includes a lot of very small, very cheap players, and when I check them all out, I don't find other features I want.
I'd really appreciate any insights and/or advice! Thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 2:12:17 AM PST
Mary,

Zen V is a pretty old player so I am bit surprised you didn't buy Zen (just Zen, without "V" in name). Anyway -- both of them has major disadvantage -- they are unable to use folder navigation only tags, which means you have reedit your collection of music/audio books and add tags (if you didn't do it before).
Another con for me is MTP only (and in Zen poor integration with SD), but since you didn't mention it, I suppose it is not an issue for you.

After 4 days of browsing (and wasting a lot of time) and considering "maybe this, maybe that" I stopped with Cowon D2 vs. Cowon F2. I am ordering F2 because:
a) it is cheaper
b) I pay for what I use (D2 -- TV support, I won't use it)
c) it is better protected (in D2 screen is also a navigation panel)
d) but it has weaker battery (D2 -- 52 hours)
e) it supports bookmark very well (according to reviews and users opinions)

Well, my 2 cents.

nice trip to Japan ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 8:00:24 AM PST
Maciej, when you get your Cowon F2 and have had a chance to use it, please write back to this forum and let us know what you think. For me, the ability to do "folder navigation" is huge. Also I need good bookmarking. I have the Creative Zen and I like it a lot. However, it only navigates by MP3 tags. Because there is no consistent scheme for tagging podcasts, navigating podcasts on the Zen is hit or miss depending upon how they were tagged by the creators. (I don't want to be bothered editing the tags.) Also, I haven't figured out how to use the Zen bookmarking feature. Perhaps the F2 does bookmarking properly. The tactile buttons on the Zen work quite well. HOWEVER, if you read the reviews of the F2, you will find that most users have difficulty with the tiny buttons. This would be a nonstarter for me. So, please let us know how the buttons on your F2 works. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 9:04:14 AM PST
Maciej, Thank you for your response. I bought the Zen V Plus. I thought it was the latest version. But I took it back after having so many problems.
Yesterday, in my research, I found what I think I want! But it's hard to get. It's Samsung YP-S5JAB (poetic name!). You can learn about it from the Samsung website. Be sure to put in that model number. On the website, you can download the manual. It is MUCH more complete than any manual I've seen, and it has two pages of instructions about bookmarking audio books! It's 4GB and is rated at 20-25 hours of battery time. It has lots of other features, including video, etc.
You can get them from Amazon.com for $159.
I may not have time to get mine before I leave for Japan, but I'm seriously thinking about it for when I return. (If I have any yen left!)
It would be wonderful if you and others on this site could read the reviews and look at the manual and let me know what your impression is.
I am a "techno-ignoramus" in many ways so the discussions of technical issues make my eyes glaze over. I just want something that is reliable and easy to use. Is that asking too much? ;-)
Thanks for the travel wishes, Maciei

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 9:05:30 AM PST
UCD Neuroscientist,

> you will find that most users have difficulty with the tiny buttons

That's why I still have second thoughts and still stuck between F2 and D2 (I found another advantage of D2 -- immediate jump into the middle of the file, however I don't know how well it works with really long files, 300MB, ~20 hours of playback).

I'll write as soon as I get the player, D2 or F2 ;-)

have a nice day, bye

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 12:40:01 PM PST
Mary,

I also would like something reliable and easy to use, but since the mp3 players are pretty expensive (in Poland we have some most advanced taxes :-( ), so it is good too anticipate potential problems, even something so trivial as player protection.

Btw. do you have any mp3 file longer than hour? Me -- several with 6 hours and longer. So this is the reason I think more and more about touchscreen (D2) since the classic rewind with even x10 speed (Cowon F2) takes about 20 minutes. With touchscreen it should take just a click to get to the middle of the file. The price is steep and there is not any case in the package (usb charger is at least), but it seems it is the best for audiobooks.

Such players as Samsung are no-go for me, because there are no accessories for such players here and I am too afraid that I won't manage to buy anything for them (except for the player itself). The market is flooded with ipod stuff, creative has decent coverage too, but besides that -- Cowon D2, one case, one color, 1/5 of the player price, Cowon F2, one case, one color, and so on. Even Sony (I own one now, NWZ-A815, nice, _durable_, but definitively not for audiobooks) does not support its own product with cases, usb charges. Desert.

I give myself one night for thinking :-) As soon as I make up my mind and get the player I will write pro&cons from experience, not reviews :-).

have a nice evening, bye

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 12:50:21 PM PST
Maciej,
I don't believe I have any long files now, but I want to download audiobooks from our library, and they are long. I have a book now on CD which I want to put on the MP3 for my trip to Japan. It is 4 CDs, and on the CD, it says, "tracks every 3 minutes," so even if I can't bookmark, I can only waste a little time, if I remember which track I finish!
Just a few minutes ago, I ordered the Samsung YP-S5JAB from Amazon.com. Since I need to learn to use it and put things on it, I ordered 1-day shipping, so it should arrive tomorrow.
I understand about lack of support. It looks as though it doesn't even have a manual included! So I've downloaded the manual and am printing the pages I think I will need. It comes with the player, earphones, USB cable, audio-in cable, and the installation CD. I will have to get a case, I'm sure.
This one was suggested by my local library because it supports the OverDrive software that they use so I can download books free.
These are difficult decisions, more difficult than I think they need to be! I will let you know how it works in a few days.
Thank you for your kind comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 3:21:30 AM PST
Hello,

So, I ordered my mp3 player yesterday, it arrived an hour ago (nice, about 20 hours delivery time). What did I choose? :-) Cowon D2. I rejected F2 because it does not support direct access to the audio file. With track ~6 minutes long it is not a problem, but with 11 hours?

I'll write a mini-review in a day or two, but some thoughts right now:
* after unpacking I almost immediately disklike this player (because of not very useful design decisions -- I am positive I will break USB cover very soon)
* nice, but not so great UI
* however...! It delivers what I was hoping for -- bookmarks and direct access within the track, in other words you are not limited by firmware as in F2 or Clix2

It seems I didn't buy the great audiobook player, but the best among others.

Mary, I hope your Samsung will serve you the same or better for your needs.

have a nice day, bye :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 7:24:20 AM PST
Dear Maciej, in your review, please let us know: (1) how you like the touch screen interface (I much prefer buttons with tactile feedback and the possibility of controlling the player to some extent by touch), (2) whether the player provides folder name display as well as display of MP3 tags, (3) whether there is an option for displaying all of the MP3 metadata, (4) whether the player can be paused for an extended period of time without shutting down (as happens with my Zen), (5) whether the player starts-up at the same point in the MP3 file where it was shut down, and (6) how fast the unit boots and shuts down. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 10:30:23 AM PST
K. Holmes says:
Thanks to everyone for participating in this thread - the issue of finding a good player for audiobooks is one that I continually struggle with.

Mary, just yesterday I received and set up my Creative Zen V Plus - am now trying to find my way around and get comfy with it. I've figured out how to set a bookmark, but so far haven't figured out how to get back to the bookmark after it's been set!! The user manual for this thing is virtually useless, so the only way to figure things out is just to figure them out, or scour various forums for some help.

The ONLY thing I use my player for is books or podcasts, and basically here's what I've wound up doing (still searching for just the right player though)

I have multiple mp3 players (3 Sandisk models, 3 Creative models - some use AAA batteries, some are rechargeable units)

I keep different things loaded onto different players - podcasts on some, books on others. The only thing that makes this workable is the fact that mp3 players are small, so carrying more than one is not a hardship.

I get books from the library, and have simply gotten into the habit of converting them to mp3 format as soon as I get them - that way I don't have to worry about which player I ultimately put them on. I found a little program called wma-convert (costs $15, a google search should lead you to it if you're interested). I use this program to convert the files. Takes some time, though not an inordinate amount. The beauty of this program is that it will also convert the files from audible to mp3, since not all my players are compatible with the audible books. That was the original reason I got it. I just use everything in mp3 format now.

I really don't know why this should be so hard for us; though the iPods are most pretty, they pretty much need iTunes to work, and I just can't make myself like that particular program. I will be very interested to hear how you like your Samsung.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 4:06:40 PM PST
Hi, everyone,
Well, I've had my Samsung YP-S5JAB for less than 24 hours, and now I remember what it's like to fall in love! (I've been married for almost 39 years to the same man, so it's been awhile!)
So far, any problems are my own lack of knowledge. I'm not intuitive when it comes to these things, so those with more knowledge and experience could probably give me sme lessons. But, from my experience of about 4 hours of work, here's what I can tell you:
1. Since I do need to depend on a manual, the went to www.samsung.com and downloaded the manual for this unit. I printed it out and have now highlighted the important things I need to learn. Of all the different players I reviewed, this has the MOST COMPLETE and easy to understand, step-by-step manual. For me, that's crucial. I tried to follow the Creative V Plus manual and got very frustrated. This one takes away the frustration. So far, everything I have tried has worked the first time! That's HUGE in my book!
2. The sound through the supplied headphones is wonderful, and as a former music major, pianist, and singer, I am very fussy about audio quality. I do have some noise-reduction earphones which I may take on the plane, but I have a feeling that these will be sufficient. They are a different shape and have a larger speaker than the usual earbuds.
3. You can change the sound quality to your preference: normal, rock vocal, bass boost, classical, studio, or concert hall! There is also a "street mode" and a "clarity" setting. You can also set what they call 3D sound as well as the bass. The best word I can use to describe the sound of the music is "crisp." It's not at all muddy, no hisses. As I say, I'm fussy about sound.
4. Now, for books. I haven't downloaded any yet from the library, but I have one on 4 CDs that I brought home a couple of days ago. I am happy to learn about converting to MP3 format. I ripped the book to me computer, then transferred it to the Samsung with no trouble. But I'm new to this and haven't quite figured out how to organize my things. The one thing I can't seem to do is create a playlist on the computer and then transfer that playlist to the Samsung so that it has the same title. I'm sure it's just that I'm in a hurry and need to read the manual a little more. It's a frustration that by tomorrow will be probably be gone.
One thing I like is that you can create a playlist on the MP3 player, not just on the computer. Sooo, during my long flight to Japan, I'll play around until I get it figured out.
Another thing I like for books is that you can increase the playing speed. While, of course, it changes the pitch of the reader's voice, if you get bored listening to a slow, plodding voice, you can speed it up, much like the players for people who are blind. (I wouldn't do this for music, obviously!)
If you "pause" in the middle of a song or book and then turn off the player, when you turn it back on, it starts right up where you left off.
OK, for bookmarks, here's what the manual says to set one:
Tap a certain area of the screen at the point you want while listening to the music. The Music menu appears. Tape up or down arro to select Bookmark and tap the center dot and the Bookmark menu appears. Tap the up or down arrows to select "Add Bookmark" and tap the center dot. The current play/stop point will be added to the bookmark. You will see a symbol on the play status bar. The Overwrite window appears if there is a bookmark previously set. If you select "yes" the previously set bookmark is deleted and a new bookmark is added. The bookmark can be set one for each music file, and a maximum number of 50 bookmarks can be set. Then it goes on how to find your bookmark and remove it. This so MUCH easier than on the Creative V Plus that had me so frustrated!
You can also bookmark a video. I'm sure I won't play many videos on this unit, as the screen is way too small for me to enjoy. There are a couple of little videos that come already loaded on the unit, and I certainly wouldn't want to watch a full-length movie on a screen that size, but that's OK--I bought it for music and books.
The FM radio is very good and it's easy to set the preset stations. The manual says that I can set the FM to find stations in Japan when I get there. That should be interesting!
This MP3 player has an external speaker! The quality is less than ideal, certainly not as good as the earbuds, but if you wanted to share something quickly with someone, you could do it. (I have to laugh at myself. While typing this and trying out the speakers, I noticed that there was a clear plastic protective seal over the speakers, and after I took that off, they sound much better! Duhhhh.) They take up a little more weight than they are worth, I think, though I'm sure I'll get used to that. You have to leave the headphones plugged in to use the external speakers since they serve as the antenna. No big deal.
So, in summary, I need to learn how to create and transfer playlists, and probably today, I'll try downloading a book from the library. I also want to download some podcasts--hopefully, that won't add too much to the learning curve. In the manual, it says there is a feature on the Samsung called "Datacast," and that you can register a channel, creative a channel group, and then dtransfer and view datacasts. That will be tonight's bedtime reading.
This MP3 will also allow you to download and read text ("all while listening to music!") You can also bookmark the text. Again, I don't want to read War and Peace this way, but it might prove useful.
I think this uni is every bit as pretty as the iPods. It's cook--when it's turned off, you can't see any controls except the on-off switch. The screen is somewhat visible, but the controls are touch-screen which light up only when the unit is on, and you can set them to go off once you've used them, so they remain invisible. A quick light touch on the screen brings them back on again!
Just to complete the review of this, here are features I've not yet used: voice recording, some preloaded video games, an alarm clock, and world clock. I'll just be happy if I can organize and listen to library books and classical music!
I wish you well with your Creative. I think perhaps I just got a bad unit, but I am much happier with this Samsung. I hope the honeymoon turns into a nice long marriage!
I appreciate everyone's insights and help on this board.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 5:09:14 PM PST
<<OK, for bookmarks, here's what the manual says to set one:
Tap a certain area of the screen at the point you want while listening to the music. The Music menu appears. Tape up or down arro to select Bookmark and tap the center dot and the Bookmark menu appears. Tap the up or down arrows to select "Add Bookmark" and tap the center dot. The current play/stop point will be added to the bookmark. You will see a symbol on the play status bar. The Overwrite window appears if there is a bookmark previously set. If you select "yes" the previously set bookmark is deleted and a new bookmark is added. The bookmark can be set one for each music file, and a maximum number of 50 bookmarks can be set. Then it goes on how to find your bookmark and remove it. This so MUCH easier than on the Creative V Plus that had me so frustrated!>>

Mary,
I'm glad you like your Samsung YP-S5JAB. I have the Creative Zen V Plus but I just don't see how the bookmarking feature on the Samsung is easier than using the Zen V Plus, which is pretty easy to use (albeit there are only 10 open slots as opposed to 50 on your Samsung, but I never need more than a couple at a time). What was it about the Zen V bookmarking feature had you so frustrated?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 5:16:48 PM PST
K:
You may have already figured out how to go back to bookmarks, but maybe you or someone else reading this discussion will find this useful:

To resume play from a bookmark on the Zen V, press the backarrow button until you get to the main menu. Music Library will be highlighted in yellow. Use the thumbstick to toggle down to Bookmarks, then push in the thumbstick. Then you can toggle down to the bookmark you want and press the "play" buttton.

Dave Marinelli

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 5:52:28 PM PST
I have a Samsung YP-K5, which appears similar to the Samsung YP-S5JAB. The unique advantage of these units is the built-in speaker which is wonderful, when you need it (but does increase the size). However, I have a terrible time using the touch screen. There is no tactile feedback and it is easy to hit the wrong button. If you make a mistake and glance against the wrong key with your fingertip you can be kicked out of your podcast and have a devil of a time getting back to where you left off. Forget about operating these MP3 players while they are in your pocket. Also, the display doesn't provide enough information about each podcast or audiobook track. Overall, I am much happier with my Creative Zen. I only use the K5 as a backup and I dread having to fuss with it. Still, the Zen could be improved for podcasting, as I have noted in other posts to this forum. I am still looking for the perfect MP3 player for podcasting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 6:02:10 PM PST
William,
I'm beginning to think, from many of the posts in this discussion, that I may have had a defective unit. I could not get the yellow area to highlight the bookmark section to save my soul. I joystick, I think, may have been faulty. Also, when I loaded things onto the player, it would add 3 or 4 of each track. All in all, it was a frustrating and disappointing experience, so I returned it, and am very happy with the Samsung.
My only problem at the moment is that I don't know how to keep tracks in order when they load. I create a playlist, with tracks of a piano trio in the order in which they should be played, but when I pull them up on the player, they are in alphabetical order! I also have a 2-cd set I just bought today of four Dvorak pieces, and I loaded the first CD fine, but when I added the second CD, it intermingled the movements. What a mess!
And, I can't figure out how to move them around on the player. Sheesh, you would think a relatively intelligent person could figure out how to do these things without such angst!
I'm glad your Creative Zen V Plus works well for you. I loved the size, but I just couldn't get it to do what I needed to do!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 6:07:35 PM PST
Yes, the YP-S5JAB is the latest version of the YP-K5, with a few enhancements.

I understand your frustration with the touch screen. I have relatively small fingers, and I'm zipping around on the screen pretty well. I haven't yet done a podcast. Think I'll try that next.

Yes, I think "pocket operation" is out of the question, and this would not be a good player for a blind person, for sure! I will try to train myself to use the "hold" button when I put it in my pocket at the gym. I think there is a lot of information on the screen about each track. It scrolls across the screen.

Is there any such thing as a "perfect MP3 player" for all of us? Hmmm? :-)
I really wish my Creative had worked well--it's much less expensive than the Samsung. I keep saying that life is a series of tradeoffs!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 6:14:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2008 6:15:17 PM PST
Regarding scrolling: it scrolls too slowly and there is nowhere near enough information. My perfect MP3 player for podcasts would have an option to always display *all* of the MP3 metadata and the full folder tree, instantaneously as you scroll through the index of available files. There is plenty of room on the screen for all this info. Instead, the MP3 manufacturers insist on displaying lots of useless (and to some annoying) graphics. Samsung, Creative, Microsoft . . . are you listening?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 6:38:01 AM PST
K. Holmes says:
David,

Thanks so much for the help on getting back to bookmarks! I hadn't figured that one out yet. Another thing I've noted from reading the posts here is, this player will resume where I left off if I just turn it off rather than pausing first - with the others I have to pause first, then power off. No wonder I was constantly having to ff to get to where I wanted to be (this has caused me to look really frequently at where I am in each track).

As I said before, the documentation with the player is dismal, and the only way to learn about it is by trial & error or nice folks like yourself who are willing to share what they've already figured out.

Thanks again.

Karon

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 7:51:26 AM PST
UCD Neuroscientist,

Since I wanted to be able to edit later my "review" I posted in on external forum. I cannot put the link here (thank you Amazon) so please search for cowon d2 and audio book phrase -- I hope google will index it in a day.

And now answers to your questions:

> (1) how you like the touch screen interface

I prefer regular buttons, but any mp3 player with dedicated buttons does not have ability to directly jump into the file (thanks to limited firmware). It is the reason I bought D2. Touchscreen responsiveness is good, worse with software -- it is not consistent and a bit slow

> (2) whether the player provides folder name display as well as display of MP3 tags,

Well, either I don't know something or there is a flaw. You can set the titles to either filenames or id3tags but... it does not make any difference really. It depends how you access your files -- via folders or via grouped selection (artist, year, etc). Maybe one example of what I cannot do -- I cannot go to folders, choose "misc" folder and see tagged description here instead of filename.

If you ask only about playback screen that this configured by filenames vs id3tags option. What you set is what you see (no matter how you get there).

> (3) whether there is an option for displaying all of the MP3 metadata,

How can I check this? From all files, or from only one file? In browser or at playback screen? What should I see?

> (4) whether the player can be paused for an extended period of time without shutting down (as happens with my Zen),

If you like -- sure, you set "timer off" to off. I have set mine to 1 minute (and I only tested this one minute, it is a bit hard to test "off" setting ;-) ).

> (5) whether the player starts-up at the same point in the MP3 file where it was shut down,

Yes. But the player shows initially the main screen. All you have to do is tap at "music" and then ">" (play).

> (6) how fast the unit boots

It depends. With no new files, around 1.5 second. With new files, it depends :-) how many new files you put there -- about, I don't know, 6 seconds?

> and shuts down

It is not clear. Power-off button is also sleep-button, so if you do it fast it just will sleep. So you have to hold it for 1-1.5 seconds and then you see the "good bye" screen and D2 is off. In total, 2 seconds?

Ok, maybe not in seconds -- it is fast ;-) I have no complains here.

I hope I help a little,
have a nice day, bye :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 10:47:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2008 10:50:34 AM PST
Nicki says:
I've just read through all of these 145 posts and I still don't see the perfect player for audiobooks:( I've had 2 -Zen Micros..1 Zune ( can't use with free library downloads) and now a Zen V plus. The Zen Micros weren't bad except they both went black on me and died and I would buy another one but they quit making them. I really dislike the Zen V plus. It is so hard to manipulate the bookmarking features and I am constantly pressing it wrong and I lose my place in the book. All I want is a few bookmarks..ability to be used with netlibrary and overdrive and ease of use. I don't want videos..pictures or even a recorder. I don't understand why someone doesn't make the perfect mp3 player for audio books. If you find it..please let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 11:12:44 AM PST
Nicki,
I understand your frustration. However, I've been using my Samsung YP-S5JAB for over a week now and have nothing bad to say about it. I download books from my library with OverDrive with ease and find the bookmarking feature easy to use. It took only a few tries to get just the right "feel" for the touchscreen, and I love the sound quality of the larger earbuds. If your local Circuit City doesn't have one, I think there is another Samsung model, I want to say something like T10, that has a similar look and feel that you could try out.

Good luck--it IS frustrating!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 11:18:15 AM PST
Nicki says:
Hey Mary..I am reading the reviews on that player now. I couldn't see that it had a bookmarking feature..so I was going to call Amazon..but you say it does. I'll probably order it online..did you get the 4 gig? I work in a audio book store..so I am an audio book addict..I listen to audios free from there..but I also use the freebies at the library too (listening to Duma Key right now..it's great) Thanks for the recommendation..I've been sitting here reading reviews all morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 11:19:34 AM PST
pollosmoky says:
Does anyone know if this device works as well with NetLibrary downloads? When I was using my old Sansa SanDisk player (though it didn't have a bookmarking feature), it worked fine w/OverDrive, but problems arose when I tried to use NetLibrary books.
[not that I'm unhappy w/my Zen V - just keeping an eye out for the next option]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the MP3 Player forum (798 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  441
Total posts:  3779
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2007
Latest post:  12 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 89 customers

Search Customer Discussions