Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

Bookmarking (not just "resume")

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2012 8:45:46 AM PST
Algiedi says:
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new mp3 player, but my main criteria seems to be the one feature that's never advertized and doesn't seem to be of interest too many people.

My furious Googling has led me to a lot of outdated info (I'd like a relatively recent model that I can keep for several years) that's not always reliable (still not sure whether the Fuze has bookmarks or not, sources differ) or just too general (the "best player for Audiobooks" thread rarely mentions the bookmarking features specifically).

So what I want is the possibility to *save* bookmarks, several of them. As in, bookmark a file, play another one, go back to my bookmark - not just "resume after turning back on."

The other function I'd like to have is video playback - and of course as cheap as possible :P

The Cowon C2 seems to fit, but I'd rather ask the experts for more tips.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 4:56:53 PM PST
JimR says:
For playing audio books, it is hard to beat the Ambling application for Android. I just picked up a Philips Android player and so far I am pretty happy. It will remember where you were in multiple books. It does automatic book marks and you can manually do them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 3:42:42 AM PST
Ginger says:
Could you tell the model of the player that you've bought? Thank you!

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 6:05:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 6:21:13 PM PST
JimR says:
Philips GoGear Connect 3, 16 GB. I don't if it is the best one but Woot.com had it as their special and I needed a new player. I had a Creative Zen that was about 4 years old and it was OK, but it had lost a lot of its battery capacity. I already had the Ambling player software on my phone. I have my books as mp3's so I just copy them over to a directory and then import them into Ambling. You do have to get one of the payed versions to be able to do this. I originally bought the personal version, but upgraded to the pro version yesterday. They had a special on it for $2.95. The pro version will let you set up series of books and keep them in order. You can find out a lot more at http://www.ambling.com.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 6:21:33 PM PST
JimR says:
I corrected the website spelling.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 11:53:31 AM PST
The website for the Ambling BookPlayer that JimR mentions above is:
http://amblingbookplayer.com/

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 12:25:26 AM PDT
AshenTech says:
the fuze dosnt do multi bookmarks saddly, at least not with its orignal firmware.

if you dont need DRM support(overdrive/audible) you can use rockbox, and that has GREAT bookmark support on the fuze, and isnt to hard to install.(i dont use my fuze with orignal firmware anymore....rockbox just blows it away)

I also can recomend the cowon c2, its got multi bookmark support in its firmware thats not to hard to use, you can check iaudiophile.net for cowon product info.

the c2 is a great player, main tips I can give for it are to update the firmware as soon as you get the device, and to join the iaudiophile forums, you WILL get help on iaudiophile, and they are the GO TO PLACE for cowon product help and information.

cant stress this enough, iaudiophile is a must join if you want to get the most out of your cowon....

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:03:53 PM PDT
Rancher5 says:
I use Amazons Audible player which has the best bookmark capability I ever had, as a long time ex-user of a Itouch and I tunes, Android rocks, I use a Galaxy 4 Player a Audible dream come true, also lets you to put in notes, it so complete, everytime I quite I bookmark, and have a guaranteed bookmark in a multiple of places, and can read multiple books at the same time all with their own bookmarks.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:21:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:24:02 PM PST
Try MortPlayer from Andriod App Store. I am using it. It has manual bookmark function and many other features.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:23:21 PM PST
The best part of MortPlayer Audio Books is free.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:34:06 PM PST
K. King says:
I use my mp3 players for audiobook listening too--it drives me nuts trying to figure out which players have *actual* bookmarking (and hardly any of them do--and what is with the new trend of offering bookmarking for video but not for mp3?!). The other things I care about are 1. a sleep timer; 2. drag & drop file transfer (this is one reason I will never use Apple products. Let me organize and transfer my own files!!!)

I always wind up going for Cowon/Iaudio players. I've been using them for more than a decade, and while sometimes the interfaces are clumsy, they always have the 3 features I find most important. I'm about to buy another Iaudio 9; the interface is annoying and takes a while to get used to, but the player is great and does all things I need and want it to do. I'm buying a second because I cracked the screen in my sleep (who knows...)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:32:53 PM PST
AshenTech says:
I love my cowon c2, I only wish that it had a UI option like the d2+ That I had before this.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:15:44 AM PST
Rancher5 says:
I use to use Itouch, ,but I'm sick of apple so now I have three android devices and use them for books, Use the Audible book app, works great Bookmarks, sleeper timer, speed adjuster full fledged listener for Android devices, without it I would be back to Apple product, which I don't want to do.

Posted on Jan 17, 2014 11:58:52 AM PST
Creative Labs has several models with bookmarking capability. I've had a "Zen" model for several years and have had great luck with it. It has a 10 bookmark capacity and is extremely easy to use. Their "Mosaic" and "ZEN V Plus" models also work well although the basic Zen model has been my workhorse for audiobooks. At any rate, I recommend any one or all of these Creative Labs products.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2014 2:38:00 PM PST
David S. says:
+1 from this corner! Rockbox is must have firmware. (Rockbox dot org). I have both Sansa Fuze, and iRiver H340's, with Rockbox installed. Easy bookmarking; also has sleep timer; endless tweaking--even an equalizer; and games, and flashlight.
If you must use original firmware, on Fuze press wheel at 9:00 while turning on. On iRiver, press Record while turning on.
Best,
David

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 12:30:38 PM PST
I see you are looking for a new mp3 player, yet many replies are for other devices. I would strongly recommend the Sony Walkman mp3 plays: they will allow you to make several Bookmarked lists, which you may resume playing if that's what you're looking for. You can also create permanent playlists and a huge library. I work as a fitness professional and use mine every single day for work. It's my 2nd one: 1st one still works great after several years of daily use but ran out of staorage and needed a bigger capacity.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2014 9:41:46 AM PST
W. Skeggs says:
I have a Creative Zen Mosaic. I decided to upgrade and bought a ZEN Style M100. Bookmarks is a must. But, unfortunately I just assumed that this product would have a bookmark facility but, after trying to find it without success, I emailed Creative. Their reply just said "it does not have a bookmark facility - but it does remember where you were on the last book you were Playing! Not much use when you have more than one book on the go.
This discussion is the most promising response that I have received for identifying a suitable purchase!
Thanks for your post

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2014 9:48:29 AM PST
W. Skeggs says:
Hello Rancher 5,

You mention the Audible Book App. I have used Audible with my Creative Zen Mosaic for several years but had no idea that there was an Audible app! I think I feel the same as you about Apple generally but can we get this app without going to iTune?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the MP3 Player forum (765 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions