Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

What's the best player for Audiobooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 3395 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 17, 2014 5:23:46 AM PST
Thanks for all of your replies. I use both but now have an idea of the differences. Thanks again!

Andrea

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 4:34:15 PM PST
Catfish man says:
My library lets me return mp3 audiobooks early too, unlike the WMA books that stay checked out through the lending period whether I delete them or not. It depends on your device, as far as preference goes I suppose. I have a Sansa Clip+ device that can do both formats, so if it is a really long book that I probably won't finish during the lending period I choose WMA because they don't really expire once loaded to the Clip+. It seems to take more battery to decode the WMA though, I get longer battery life on that device with mp3 files, but the size difference for the book is a consideration especially on a long book.

Be careful downloading a whole lot of WMA books to a Clip+ though for later listening, unless you are prepared to lose them all if the device has an error and needs to be reset. I have needed to reset my Clip+ before and it erases the DRM file used to unlock and play the WMA books, if you store them on an external micro-card as I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 11:41:49 AM PST
At my libraries the difference is that MP3 can be returned to the library earlier than the due date, giving you back the option for another download. If you return the WMA early you don't get the "credit" until after the original due date. For this reason I will take the MP3 if there is an option. Otherwise I haven't noticed any differences. Vi

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 11:33:14 AM PST
K. R. says:
Not completely sure but I have a WMA file still on my Clip form last summer and it still plays, did not recognize the due date which can be useful when you get too many at the same time. You can put mp3 on you iPhone but it will not play WMA

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 11:30:07 AM PST
jj2me says:
No, there should be no discernible difference in performance. We can tell because the size of the MP3 is approximately double the size of WMA, and those ratios (twice the kbps for MP3 compared to WMA) are approximately what experts say brings comparable sound quality.

So we should pick one one or the other based on desired size and the compatibility of the player to decode DRM'd WMA.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 11:11:06 AM PST
On Overdrive, they sometimes give me a choice of WMA or mp3 download. I have used both but see no difference in their performance. Is there any difference?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 12:13:41 PM PST
Janice,
If by library you mean Overdrive: download the free program MP3Tag. How to use the program (including answering your question) go to Chris Holt's blog where he details how to fix the books so they do what you want (thanks to Chris): http://theaudiobookaddict.blogspot.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 11:53:28 AM PST
Janice Long says:
How do you change the tag in an audio book from the library?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 9:21:02 AM PST
jj2me says:
For the Clip (and Clip+ and Fuze), you get the resume function if either of the following is true:
- the files are contained under the folder "Audiobooks" (plural), or
- the files are each tagged as genre "Audiobook" (singular).

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 3:48:58 AM PST
tbov says:
Thank you, I will try that.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 8:56:03 PM PST
D. says:
To correct the problem without losing the books download MP3 Tag & change the genre tag to audiobook. The files need the genre tagged as audiobook that way it does not matter what folder you put the book in & they will bookmark. The audiobooks you download from the library are tagged as fiction,mystery ect. but never audiobook.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 7:14:54 PM PST
folders

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 7:14:34 PM PST
When you say that it has stopped bookmarking, do you mean that it no longer returns to where you were when you last stopped listening? If so, then it seems to be treating your audiobooks like music files. This has never happened to me, but maybe others have had this experience. I think you are on the right track to make sure your books are in audiobook folders, not music forlders.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 5:20:00 PM PST
tbov says:
My sansa clip has stopped bookmarking audiobooks. All the books are from the library, placed into audiobook folders. I checked a sansa clip forum, it states that the clip needs to be reformatted, but I hate losing all the books I have been listening to on it. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2013 8:20:51 AM PST
jj2me says:
Nothing dumb about being satisfied with the way you're doing something.

You seem to be questioning the size of the playing device. A smaller device (e.g., MP3 player, phone) has these advantages:
- added mobility, like walking around and doing chores while listening,
- less costly when damaged, like if you fall asleep while listening and roll over on your iPad.

And these disadvantages compared to a larger device:
- for MP3 players, requires two steps: a) download to PC, and b) load onto MP3 player
- usually have a weaker speaker, or no speaker in the case of many small MP3 players.

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 7:52:22 AM PST
I've been downloading audio books from Audible, almost exclusively, directly onto my desktop computer.
Recently I've begun downloading the books on to my iPad, which I travel with very comfortably, so that's not an issue for me.
I will admit to being a rookie in this whole world of electronic communications/entertainment, so I don't know if I'm being 'dumb'
by using my laptop, iPad, or desktop as my storage and player unit. I've never liked the MP3 world, and I'm perfectly content with
the computer route; but... well, I'm just asking for a little experienced guidance.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2013 5:01:55 AM PST
This is from a post early this month. This worked for me.

"11-13-2013 04:04 PM
i had my clip for almost a year and its only froze once before 7 months ago the hold for 20-30 sec reset fixed it

this time it froze on the goodbye screen and stayed that way for about 30 sec

i held the center button and pause/play button for 10 sec and it went to black screen

but it was totally unresponsive no sync to computer, not charging and the reset didn't work no matter how long i did it

what i did was i held the center button and pause/play button and the power button while it was connected to the computer

it went into sync mode and its working like usually does"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 6:53:59 PM PST
Catfish man says:
One of mine has that problem with the charging adapter side, if I merely bump it my computer makes the sound that I disconnected the clip. I am not an electronics repair man, don't have tools to fix the solder on that broken connector inside, so I set that one aside and bought a new one. They are a good player but cheaply made. It's a good thing they are cheaply replaced as well.

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 6:10:36 PM PST
Ben Franklin says:
Any else have the problem I have had with the Sansa Clip? After a year or so of use, the female audio connector on it gets loose and I get drop outs of the sound when I move around. I even have trouble in the car with the player safely tucked into the center console and attached to the sound system that way. Maybe if you keep pulling out the male plug when changing what the clip is driving, this has to happen. Is there any remedy besides buying a new clip?

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 4:21:07 PM PST
MARK4 says:
ok, the sandisk clip seems to be the mp3 of choice for audiobooks per prior posts
my clip seemed to die today, was working great this am, now nothing at all, on manual play, plug in to computer, etc - just seems totally dead
anybody with any suggestion?
thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 4:56:25 PM PST
D. says:
I have a Nexus 7 second generation. I have overdive on it & download books from the library (mp3 format only) I have a Clip zip it can see it but I haven't been able to access the content,however the battery in the clip was charging from it.

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 4:14:08 PM PST
bookworm604 says:
To jj2me Thanks for the info about MP3 on tablets.

My husband and I have been looking at both tablets and laptop computers as we use work computers on our own time. OverDrive does not work at my work because the Windows Media Player security upgrade that does not co-operate. Will probably wait to buy a laptop with Windows 8.1 as Windows 8 does not come with Windows Media Player. About tablets: Microsoft says "Windows Media Player isn't available for Windows RT."

I have been using a DVD player to download CDs to my Zen Stone. It doesn't recognize the Clip+.

We did get a (1st gen) Kindle Paperwhite in August and are very impressed with it. He thinks he wants it now after reading a couple of books on it recently. It is an e-reader only, no audio, no speakers.

We are also thinking iPad mini as there is a special on Thanksgiving day. I could listen to at least the MP3 audio versions. I have mini speakers and I could put it on a counter while I do dishes, or we could use it in the cars on a trip.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 9:51:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2013 9:52:45 AM PST
jj2me says:
If you truly have USB host on your tablet (most don't, mine does with a special cable), then
- protected WMA: No. OverDrive for tablets doesn't allow borrowing DRM'd WMA audiobooks. No Android or Apple tablet or app supports decrypting that DRM.
- MP3: Only as Music on the Clip, not audiobooks, so you'll lose the resume function. And it's a convoluted transfer. I.e., not via OverDrive directly (like the "Transfer" button on the PC does). OverDrive for tablet is constructed for it being the end device. It's for playing the audiobook, not transferring it to yet another device. The workaround is to locate the MP3 files on your tablet, and use the USB host's "File Transfer" mechanism (it pops up on my tablet when I connected my Clip+). The problem is, it puts it where it wants on your MP3 player. On the Clip+, not so good, though it appears as Music. On the Stone, you might still have resume or bookmark function, I don't know (don't have one of those).

Edit: Oops, I just re-read your question and see that you only asked about WMAs.

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 9:01:06 AM PST
D. says:
If they are copy protected and the tablet is android for sure the answer is no.

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 8:26:13 AM PST
bookworm604 says:
Can I use a tablet with USB to download and transfer wma's to my Sansa Clip+ and Zen Stone MP3 players? Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 136 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the MP3 Player forum (758 discussions)

ARRAY(0x952bb24c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  405
Total posts:  3395
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 86 customers

Search Customer Discussions