Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

What's the best player for Audiobooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 8:10:32 AM PDT
No, you can control it with the buttons at the top. There is a setting that you can use to make it as such. There are three buttons on the top by the power switch. Under the System Settings you can set these buttons to be play/pause, FF and RW when you put the player on hold. It works fine for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 8:55:21 AM PDT
Wanda E. says:
Nikki,

Thanks for posting about the Samsung YP-S5. How does its bookmarking work in multiple file books, or in playlists? Both my Zen V and Insignia Sport bookmarks will only pull up the bookmarked file and will not continue playing the following files in the book. It's a minor annoyance but one I'm ready to dole out some $ to avoid. Thanks for any info.

Wanda

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 11:16:52 AM PDT
Nicki says:
Wanda..I am not sure what you mean..do you mean that if you use the bookmarked place..it stops after each chapter and you have to start it manually for the chapter that is next?

If that's what you are asking..I need to check mine and see if that happens. I do bookmark but lately..I am only using it for one book at a time..so I just turn it on and it is at the correct place. I'm going for a walk now and I will go to the bookmark this time and see if it goes to the next chapter by itself

nicki

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 1:21:11 PM PDT
Wanda E. says:
Hi Nikki,

Yes, bookmarking in the Zen V and Sport will take you back to the spot within the file you bookmarked, but once that file has finished playing it does not automatically go on to the next file in the book. For example, I have a book from Overdrive in 6 parts. I stop playing halfway through the 2nd file of the 6. When I just let the player 'resume' it will show that it is playing file 2 of 6. When file 2 is finished, file 3 begins to play. If I use the bookmark to go back to the spot I bookmarked in the 2nd file, it shows playing 1 of 1. When file 2 is finished playing the player goes back to the main menu. Not good. I understand the Cowon D2 bookmark will take you back to file 2 of 6 and continue playing the next file. I wondered if the Samsung does the same. I appreciate your offer to check this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 1:30:42 PM PDT
Nicki says:
Wanda..I just checked it out. I went to the bookmark and it started playing part 4 and when I got back from my walk...I see that it is playing part 5 now. It didn't stop and I didn't even know it had changed parts. The bookmarking is very easy on this player. You press this little thing in the right corner and a list comes up and bookmark is on it. I still have my Zen V plus and I always have the worst time bookmarking on it. I still haven't read all the directions for this player because it works good for audio books and that's mostly what I use it for. If they had kept making my old Zen...I would have kept buying them even though they didn't last long..they had the easiest bookmarking but this one is pretty good too.

nicki

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 1:40:46 PM PDT
I have a Cowon D2 and it automatically takes you to the next file from the file you bookmarked. So if you bookmarked file 2 it will take you on to file 3 and so on.

I have a Creative Zen V + before the D2 and it did not take you on to the next file that you had bookmarked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 6:09:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2008 8:24:47 PM PDT
TSTBren says:
I found an interesting article entitled "MP3 Players with Bookmark Capability" and just thought I would share the link to it here. http://www.andrewdavidson.com/articles/mp3-players-with-bookmarks/ The article is a good 7 months old but it makes some easily understood points on what true book marking is and the differences between some different types of bookmarks.

It really confirms the bottom line that this discussion here on Amazon has come up with! It would be nice if the article and the list of players given were to be updated with the Cowon D2 - and the Samsung YP-S5 as players that will also continue on with the play list from the book mark. Too bad the Rios were discontinued as it looks like that was the only other player made with this great ability.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 6:18:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2008 8:24:09 PM PDT
TSTBren says:
Nicki.....this is probably a really obvious question but did you try hitting the reset button on your Zen Micros when they stopped working? There are also good online instructions available on disc clean up and reformatting them, it's easy to do and may save your old players. I have had very good success with several Micro's, having bought them for gifts for family members along with my own. We have all had them just keep on trucking with an occasional reset so I just wanted to offer those tips.

My sister dropped her Micro into the bath tub, which fried it, but I found a vendor via eBay that repairs the Creative products very reasonably. For just over $50.00 she had a new hard drive and a new mother board on her Zen Micro and it was up and running and is still going strong now. Since they are easily still worth that amount used on eBay we thought it was an excellent deal. We just had too add in a new battery. My grandson broke the headphone jack on his Micro and this same vendor fixed it for 25.00 plus shipping.

Just another option I wanted to toss out there as they are sturdy little players in general and the 10 book marks are so easy to use. Even non working ones sell well on eBay if you wanted to try an recoup some of your investment in them......
~Brenda

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 6:25:54 PM PDT
Nicki says:
Wow Brenda..thanks for the info..where is the reset button on the micro? My Vplus has a reset hole that I put a paper clip in but I didn't think the Zens had that. I am going to go look at them right now. Can you email me the ebay address? I'm nicki8801 and I use Yahoo!! I would gladly pay to have them fixed for a good price.
Both of mine went completely black and I bought a new battery for the first one..thinking it was that,..but it wasn't

nicki

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 6:31:14 PM PDT
Nicki says:
I found the re-set hole Brenda..never noticed it before. I remember that they both got really hot when they stopped too..but I hope I can revive them :)

nicki

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 6:35:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2008 8:22:58 PM PDT
TSTBren says:
Katherine I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind? All of your great comments about the Cowon D2 wore me down and I had to order one despite my love affair with Creative products. <G> The thought of the bookmark going right on into the play list is just so tempting for any audio book lover I'm sure! So now I'm waiting for it to arrive and I am excited to get my hands on it!

The price for 8 gb was about the same as I paid form my 16 gb Zen but the thought of having the fully integrated SD card made up for that. I'm interested to see how the touchscreen compares to plain old buttons and wondering how easy it will be to use and find bookmarks with. Right now with my Zen I turn it on and I have the "my shortcut" button programmed to "Bookmarks" so I hit that one button and then scroll through my 10 book marks and choose the one I want. So with two button pushes I am listening to my audio book.

So now on to my questions...from what I understand with the research I've done there is a button on the Cowon that you can set for anything you'd like (same as the Zen) I think they called it a "hot button" Will I be able to set that to bring up the book mark menu and then see all of the books I have book marked on the player? And when you want to switch between books / bookmarks or between books and music is it fairly easy on the touchscreen to go from one to the other?

I know that I could wait until my Cowon D2 arrives and find out for myself but that's going to be another few days and I am curious now. <G> Your answers and any other light you could shed for a newbie to Cowon's will be much appreciated!
~Brenda

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 3:27:09 AM PDT
I haven't seen a "hot button" to where you can program it to anything you want. It could be that feature is on a firmware upgrade. It is possible it exists and I just haven't seen it. What I have seen is the ability to change the way the three buttons at the top function. By default I believe the left and right buttons are volume control and the middle is the menu button. I have my set to be FF and RW (left/right) and Play/Pause for the middle. This is helpful for driving in the car.

As far as the getting to the bookmark list, you have to use the touch screen. It's 2 touches away. At the bottom of the file your currently listening to there's a browse "touch" button, which brings up a menu and Bookmark list is the second or third one down. Then you can scroll though your list of bookmarks. The Cowon can hold more than 10 bookmarks.

Here's a link to the forum for the D2 that I frequent. If the cowon d2 has a feature that you'd like to have just post a feature request. Otherwise, you can post any questions you have.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 7:30:22 AM PDT
TSTBren says:
Thank you Katherine! I really like the idea of being able to set the top buttons up with a play/pause button on top that I can then use without even looking. On the Zen I had to flip open the leather cover I had gotten to access play / pause. I have since gotten a silicone case which helps work all the buttons much better but the fact still remains that play / pause is on the front of the player instead of the top. I have it in my back pocket a lot and just want to reach back and hit the button.

I also appreciate the tip on where to find the book mark list, I'm trying to shorten my learning curve as much as possible! I don't even think I can come close to using the 100 bookmarks Cowon offers but it is cool to have the option of so many!

I had found the Cowon forum in my research and all I can say is those folks know their tech stuff! Three quarters of which goes right over my head. <G> But I have found answers to several other questions I had there. What I have not found is a way to do a search of the threads though. I had hoped to find a discussion strictly on using the Cowon for audio books there but I have not taken the time to scroll through the pages of discussions.

I am used to using the Play Lists option with all my Zen's. It makes it so easy to listen to all of the books I have recorded from cassette and cds into MP3 files, thus the book easily plays in order if there are many files or tracks. But I have also tagged each track I've recorded with numbers and it's own name so I am hoping that the "play by file folder" will work easily for me on the Cowon. There has certainly been enough discussion on that drawback (only one Playlist on the Cowon) and enough requests made for it that I wouldn't be surprised to see a firmware update to fix it soon.

Again thanks for answering my questions! And another thank you for this entire discussion! My friends eyes start to glaze over when I talk MP3 players so this has been fun reading (and participating) for me!
~Brenda

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 7:34:08 AM PDT
There are two ways you can play files on the cowon. One is to play them through the Folder List instead of the Music List. This option will play your files in order without having to worry about tagging them properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 8:35:37 AM PDT
TSTBren says:
Ok, play the audio books through the folder list, another step off my learning curve, thanks again!

Nicki...... now that you have one of your Micro's up and playing again (hope the second can be fixed via the other tips!) how would you compare it to the Samsung YP-S5 for ease of use? I told you I'm a bit of an addict when it comes to these audio book players and I'd like to have your take on the comparison of ease of use between the Zen Micro and the Samsung player, please? A few pros and cons maybe, when you have the time.
From what I've read here the Zen V or Zen V Plus doesn't come close to the ease of use with the book marking ability of the Zen Micro's (or the Sleeks or the new Zen as they work the same as the Micro in setting bookmarks) would you agree with that?
Thanks, ~Brenda

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 10:19:25 AM PDT
Nicki says:
Brenda..I always loved the Zen Micro and thought it was a snap to use. I don't have anything on it right now because it has been in a drawer for 2 years or so. The newer one won't come back. It got really really hot when I tried to charge it. I paid full price for the first one..but the 2nd one was a French packaged one from Creative and I think it cost $100.00 or so. I have the wall charger and a clip holder for it and I was bummed when they quit making it. BUT after my 2nd one crashed ..I decided to give up on them...so I got the Zen V Plus

I really dislike the Zen V plus. The bookmarking is awful and I can't tell you how many times I have had to fastfoward to find my place in the audio book. PLus you need to carry a paper clip to re-set it. I walk outside a lot and it was very aggravating when I went from music to a book and couldn't find my place.

The Samsung is easy too. The bookmarks are easy but I don't think as simple as the Zen micro. It seems as if you are in a new track it doesn't always override the old bookmark but makes a new one. Maybe I am doing something wrong..but it seems to act that way. If I am in the same track..it asks if I want to over-ride the old one. It's narrow and a different shape than the Zen and I haven't found a good holder to put it in that will clip to my side.

I didn't know they had a new zen with good bookmarking ..but I think I have given up on Creative for the time being.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2008 12:47:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 27, 2008 12:47:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2008 3:22:14 PM PDT
Katherine... I have been following some of your information about Zen vs Cowon. My Zen V plus screen is now almost black after just a year. To navigate, I have to go into a dark room with a magnifier to see what I am doing. I listen to a lot of books, via Audible. You mention the Cowon's bookmarking capability, but the Audible site indicates the Cowon does not bookmark. The Cowon resume function would probably work ok, but would it know to start up where it left off on more than 1 book?

I know you are from the Bayou Country and like to read horror/mystery. Check out Greg Iles who if from Mississippi and many of his stories take place in that area.

Thanks in advance for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2008 3:54:47 PM PDT
G

I have been using bookmarks on a continuous basis with the Cowon D2. I just checked the bookmark capability with an audible book, Gods and Generals, and it worked just fine.

I don't know why the Audible site indicates that it does not bookmark. Perhaps they are not talking about the D2 but another player Cowon has. Also, it could be an ealier firmware version of the Cowon D2 as I believe that it wasn't until the 2.51 release that the D2 started supporting audible files.

So, yes, the Cowon D2 does bookmark audible files.

I bookmarked my audible book, then navigated back to my music list and chose a song to play. Then, while that song was playing, I navigated to my bookmark list, selected the Gods and Generals bookmark and it resumed playing at the place I bookmarked. I was actually able to do this twice to see if it would bookmark the file more than once, and it did that as well.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 9:08:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2008 9:10:18 PM PDT
jj2me says:
MS Girl,
You said, "I used a Phillips tape system for a couple of months (very inexpensive) but this weekend it began to blast static and popping noises when I turned it on (iPod not connected). I took it back to the store and upgraded to a wireless Belkin Tunecast, which will not work at all... Any advice for a system that works through my car stereo? All thoughts appreciated."

Quality from best to worst, in getting sound from your MP3 player to your car audio system:
1. direct plug into an "AUX" jack. But only the newer cars have these jacks.
2. cassette adapter. But most newer cars don't have cassette decks.
3. FM transmitter, like your Belkin.

Assuming your car doesn't have an auxiliary jack, if your cassette player still works (i.e., it was just the cassette adapter that broke), then go buy another cassette adapter.

If your car's cassette player is what broke, then you'll have to use an FM transmitter. The last I looked into FM transmitters, some people had claimed good results after doing a modification to the C. Crane FM transmitter to output a higher power signal (which could make your signal leak into nearby autos' stereo systems). But that requires cracking open the device. Maybe there are other, better transmitters now.

Other clunkier solutions:
- forgo the car's audio system and instead plug your MP3 player into a powerful battery-powered portable speaker system, like the Logitech mm28. (I've generally found that these separate MP3 speakers' output volume is proportional to the number of batteries required--look for one that requires 4 AA batteries, or 4 AAA if you want smaller sized speakers.)
- upgrade your car's radio to one with an auxiliary jack. (A guess: the cheapest would be at least $250 installed.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 10:14:56 PM PDT
Wanda E. says:
jj2me, You are close in your estimate - it cost me a little over $200 to get a new radio/cd deck with aux jack installed in my corolla. This didn't include new speakers, btw. The aux input is a *huge* improvement over fm transmission. I highly recommend it, budget allowing. Also, the radio and cds sound far better than they did from the factory radio.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 5:18:54 AM PDT
MS Gal in GA says:
Thanks for the info on transmitters for my car....I have finally settled on a Griffin RoadTrip FM transmitter which is working fairly well. It plugs directly into the cigarette lighter, so my iPod is charging while it plays. After trying 2 cassette tape systems, I found that it was my car's cassette player that was broken, and I am certainly not going to the expense of repairing it. So far, so good with the Road Trip.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2008 7:54:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2008 7:55:34 AM PDT
TSTBren says:
I have been through more than one of these FM transmitters and have, IMO, finally ended up with a very good one. I bought a brand new "iriver AFT 100" from a vendor on eBay for $25.00 which included shipping. This is by far the best one I have owned for several reasons.

#1 ... it does not require batteries, it gets everything it needs from the cigarette lighter. #2 ... you can choose from any of the 100 plus FM stations. #3 ... It does not have to be turned on and off. When you plug an MP3 player (or any portable device) into the transmitter it recognizes that it has been plugged in and with in 30 seconds is up and running. The same with turning it off, within thirty seconds of unplugging your MP3 player the transmitter no longer senses a connection and shuts down. #4 ... There are 3 preset buttons on it that you can set to your most commonly used (available) FM stations. #5 ... A nice big LCD read out.

The other thing I have noticed with transmitting through the car stereo system is that the quality of the system and speaker placement makes a difference. Duh! I know but I'm still learning and thought others may be as well. And also the quality of your MP3 player and the amount of sound it can push out makes a big difference.

I have recorded several of my older books on cassette into MP3 files and they do not have near the volume (my mistake) as just a straight MP3 or WMA file. You don't even notice the difference when listening through ear buds but when I listen in the car it can be difficult depending on the player I'm using.

I will say that the new Cowon D2 I've had since Friday evening can definitely push the sound out no matter what your system!
~Brenda

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 11:37:52 PM PDT
Can you navigate on the Cowon D2 with anything other than the stylus? And does the D2 do gapless MP3 playback?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 1:50:51 AM PDT
Philip, you should NOT navigate D2 with stylus! The best way is to use your finger (not fingernail). AFAIK D2 does not provide gapless playback of mp3 and ogg.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 163 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the MP3 Player forum (801 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  451
Total posts:  4069
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2007
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 90 customers

Search Customer Discussions