Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

What's the best player for Audiobooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 2:21:49 PM PST
TomBrooklyn says:
The most often recommended player seems to be the Creative Zen V (and V Plus.)

It sounds good but there seems to be a problem with this unit. According to a lot of the current 136 Customer Reviews on http://amazon.com, a lot of these units require frequent resetting. Besides the general inconvienence and annoyance this would invoke, this problem would be particularly troublesome for the audiobook listener, because whenever a reset was required, all bookmarks would be lost.

I'm not sure if I should get the Creative Zen V Plus because of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 3:45:28 PM PST
Hi Tom,

I've had a 2GB Zen V for about 18 months. I've had it freeze about 10 times, none since I installed the latest firmware maybe 4 - 6 weeks ago. My player tended to freeze when I did a longish fast forward, sometimes but not always. But when it did freeze, the reset did not lose any bookmarks or music/settings, including my own photo wallpaper. Reset is not like a reformat. It was mostly an annoyance, especially if I did not have a paperclip or earring post handy. And again, since the latest firmware, no freezes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 6:59:06 PM PST
TomBrooklyn says:
Hi Wanda,
That's good to hear that the latest firmware might have cured the problem. Also that you don't lose bookmarks. Maybe I'll take the leap and get this unit then. I wonder if anyone else has found the problem solved now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 9:42:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2007 10:06:54 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 9:43:05 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2007 10:06:25 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 9:43:10 AM PST
I have had a Creative Zen V Plus for several months and have eight books recorded on it. I have never reset it. I do not even know what "reset" means.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 10:05:30 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2007 10:07:14 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2007 8:19:04 PM PST
Oops, I spoke too soon. My Zen V froze during a long fast forward today.
Wanda

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2007 9:11:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2007 11:48:29 AM PST
T. Hughes says:
I purchased the Zen V Plus in October through Amazon for use with audiobooks only. I got it because it would handle the "library books" and audible and had 4 gigs. However, I have been extremely disappointed with the unit. Unless I fast forward in 2 to 5 minute increments, the unit will freeze. This means you can not even turn the unit off! I keep a safety pin in the coin box of my car to reset the unit and a paperclip by my living room chair. The resume feature has only worked about 5 times. The player can skip from one segment to the next but mislabel on the screen the segment of the book you are listening to. I listen to audiobooks every chance I get - car, work, doctor's office, etc. I would not recommend the V Plus. Further, I purchased a Zen Stone Plus for my husband to use for audiobooks in August 2007. It "died" about a week ago. I can't believe I was unluckly enough to get two defective units.

I am still looking for a unit that will resume play like my ipod, great battery life, easy of recharging, keep the "chapters" of the books in order and handle both "libarary" audiobooks and audible. (My ipod battery life is terrible!) I have a package contract with Audible. I don't mind buying books, however, there are several authors whose books are not available from audible or itunes that I like to "read". And, let's face it, free books can be good. Unfortunately, I have been told that if I download material to a player, the player is unreturnable unless the unit is defective. Searching for the right player for audiobooks can get expensive. I purchased a Sansa Express for my husband to replace the Zen Stone and he is having problems with it. He has had it less than a week and it stopped tonight and will not even recharge.

Quality control appears to be an issue with many of these players. I am probably going to take the plunge and buy a Cowon if I can confirm that it is returnable to Cowon no matter what within 30 days.

PS: I contacted Amazon last night about the dead Sansa. Amazon will refund the purchase price and pay for return shipping since the unit is defective. Good customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2007 10:46:08 PM PST
Quality control is why you buy an iPod. Face it, MP3 players are like cars. A Yugo can get you across country just like a Porsche, but the experience in the Porsche is far better. They make a lot more Yugos then Porsche's but that doesn't make them particularly desirable, they are just cheap.
This was why Popular Science rated the Zune as one of the ten worse products of the year 2007.

I have all of the different MP3 players and except for occasional use of the Zen, I only use an iPod. The rest just sit in my desk until I can find some deserving kid to donate them to.

The Apple iPod experience is quality. BTW my latest and favorite, the iTouch iPod lasts for many hours playing audio books with the screen turned off. This thing is not much more than a thick credit card!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 1:40:50 PM PST
TomBrooklyn says:
>"I have been told that if I download material to a player, the player is unreturnable unless the unit is defective."

Hi T. Hughes,
One of the things I was hoping was that if I got one of the Zen Vs with the resetting problem, I would be able to return it. Isn't what's happening with yours considered a defect that makes it returnable?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 5:35:13 PM PST
The problem with the ipod for listening to audiobooks, is that it cannot be used for free downloads from netlibrary.com. And the same holds true for the Zune. Also, I don't believe that the audiobooks from Overdrive can work on ipods and Zune for the same reason. I currently use the Crative Zen V plus. I have had only a few freezes with it. But you will need a bookmark feature on an mp3 player to play netlibrary or Overdrive audiobooks, which do not automatically bookmark for you as do audiobooks from audible.com.
The following explanation for this is produced below from the netlibrary website at
http://netlibrary.com/Help/DisplayTopic.aspx?Name=Listening/iPodAndZuneUsers

"NetLibrary eAudiobooks cannot be played on either iPods or Microsoft's Zune devices at this time. iPods use the .aac file format which does not support the Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection required by NetLibrary eAudiobooks. This DRM technology allows checked out items to expire on the due date, a feature that .aac technology does not offer."

Microsoft Zune does not support the Digital Rights Management protection used by NetLibrary that helps ensure the content of our publishing partners is secure, especially when items are checked out from the library's collection and borrowed by a user rather than purchased. This technology allows checked out items to expire on the due date, a feature that the Zune does not offer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 9:35:27 PM PST
carol wade says:
I just got an insignia sport, and after initial problems with static, which may have been a problem with my recording, it's been doing fine - however, this is too soon to tell yet. the sound quality is good, the battery is replaceable, it bookmarks (although I have to remember to bookmark it). I haven't gotten to the point yet of seeing how some of the finer points work - for ex. can I have it shuffle just selected albums, so that my books don't also get shuffled? We'll see, but the early verdict is positive!
Carol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 6:18:48 PM PST
JDawg says:
Does anyone have any other sites for free eBooks or AudioBooks?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 6:38:30 PM PST
I bet some have discovered that yo9u can find them on bit torrents.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007 8:59:03 PM PST
Can you use Overdrive from the library for your Insignia Sport?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 7:42:19 AM PST
carol wade says:
Marcia, I haven't tried to use overdrive yet, but all indications are that I can. The problem I'm having right now is how to put a book that's on a # of cd's onto the sport. What's happening is that they all get recorded together i.e. all 1st segments from each disc, all 2nd, etc. are put together and I can't actually listen to any. the software that I got with my zen nano took care of all that for me, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on the insignia, either using the rhapsody site software, or dragging and dropping. anybody out there who can tell me how? thanks.
Carol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 1:18:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2008 1:21:55 PM PST
Larry Lettie says:
Carol, your problem is that all your audiobook files need to have unique tags and unique file names so that your player can distinguish one from another. Here's a link to a free mp3 tagger that will do everything you need to do to make your files acceptable to the player. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ It's called "Mp3tag". May I suggest installing the program and loading up one of your working books and seeing how they're tagged to get the feel of what the player expects. Then you'll need to re-rip a book you're having problems with. The filename "track 1.mp3" isn't acceptable because each and every cd will have a "track 1". Try this format: "The Name of My Book-CD 1 track 1.mp3", "The Name of My Book-CD 1 track 2.mp3", "The Name of My Book-CD 2 track 1.mp3" etc. Then load your freshly ripped files into mp3tag and let it sequentially number the entire group of files. The "TRACK" field is probably the one that your player reads to determine the playback order.

This will make a lot more sense once you try what I've suggested. If you have any problems come back and I'll try to help you out. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 3:17:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2008 3:18:37 PM PST
Stepper says:
I picked up a Samsung YP-F1 on clearance for $20 at Radio Shack about 3 weeks ago. It plays DRM files, so it works with NetLibrary downloads available for free from my public library. This little model is terrific. Holds 512 megs, plenty big for my audiobooks. It's about 3" by 1". It has a sturdy metal clip that holds on tight to whatever I wear. The audio quality is great. Includes FM, a recorder, & a clock. Makes me wish I hadn't spent the money on my Ipod Nano last year as I like this little wizard so much better. Evidently Samsung is phasing it out. Hope they come up with a similar design because I think this model is perfect for just plain audio use & would consider getting one with more storage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 3:43:51 PM PST
carol wade says:
Larry - thanks very much! I knew there had to be a way, but sure didn't find any directions anywhere! Thank goodness for user groups like this!
Carol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008 10:37:05 PM PST
Does the Samsung YP-F1 have a bookmarking feature?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 1:21:35 AM PST
Larry Lettie says:
You're very welcome, Carol. If you need any more help just ask. Mp3tag is a very powerful program once it's set up correctly but it can be a little daunting at first. You can do everything you need to do by using about 1% of it's capabilities but the other 99% of it's functionality can get in the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 10:14:10 AM PST
carol wade says:
Just a question - I had originally recorded each disc in a separate folder i.e. folder 1, folder 2 etc, within a larger folder with the name of the book - guess I thought that the book would transfer like that, so that I could go to the name of the book, as I would the name of an album, and then have each chapt. separate within that. Is there no way to tell it to do things that way? Makes sense to me! ;-)
Carol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 5:05:21 PM PST
Larry Lettie says:
Makes perfect sense to me too, Carol, but your mp3 player is basically dumber than a bag of hammers... it only knows what you tell it... and you have to tell it in a way that it understands... via the mp3 tags. You're off to a good start. Most mp3 players doen't recognize folders. Think of it this way... first you have to be able to toss all the files from several books into one folder and be able to tell them apart. This is where each file has to have a unique name such as "Book XYZ Disc 1 Track 1", "Book XYZ Disc 1 Track 2", "Book XYZ Disc 2 Track 1". Also, Mp3tag uses the file name to do it's sorting. If you name your files in the manner I suggested the tag program will automatically sort them in the proper order. Then you can assign each file tags which include TRACK, ALBUM, ARTIST, TITLE and GENRE. Your player uses the tag information to do it's sorting. This is how it knows to play all the tracks from Book XYZ in the proper order and not to mix them together with files from a different book. Is it starting to make sense yet? I really hate to throw too much information at you at one time.

There are probably simpler ways to accomplish this task but I really don't know of any that work 100% of the time. Once you master tagging files yourself you can handle any situation you may run into.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 9:23:18 AM PST
carol wade says:
Larry - Well, I figured that was the case, but thought I'd ask. Thanks, I guess :-). I think I spend more time trying to figure out how to get these gadgets to do what I want than I do eating or sleeping! Obviously it's worth it, since I just keep right on tryin' - so guess I'll give the software a shot - I've downloaded, just haven't yet brought myself to work with it. Thanks again!
Carol
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  430
Total posts:  3640
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2007
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 90 customers

Search Customer Discussions