Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

What's the best player for Audiobooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2876-2900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:09:29 PM PDT
jj2me says:
The Sony NWZ-E463 gives you the resume function (picks up where you left off listening in the file) for every file located at the 2nd level under Podcasts. No manual bookmarks.

This is similar functionality (resume, but no manual bookmarks) that you get in the Clip, Clip+, Fuze, Zune, ... Except those players can progress to the next audiobook part automatically.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:15:48 PM PDT
doxie lover says:
I will have to try this on my Sony. I have an older model the NWZ S545. Perhaps it will work.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:46:24 PM PDT
jj2me says:
No, sorry, full resume only works on Sonys that have podcast support, which you can tell by its icon on the Home screen: three concentric circles with a break in the bottom, like shown here, middle column, 3rd row:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0077DEPPO/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=0

The S545 should play protected WMA files, but won't resume properly. I don't have that player, but it may resume the very last played, like some players do. Some players resume properly when you turn them off while playing, others when you pause for a long time and auto shutoff turns the player off. You might try those two methods to see if one works. It's not as good as resume for every file in Podcasts, which allows you to navigate away to listen to songs or view movies/picks, and come back and you'll be at your last-listened spot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 2:11:16 PM PDT
doxie lover says:
thats ok I really don't need to read audiobooks on my Sony I have the clip and clip+ for that so I will stay with the Sony for music. The sound is good and it works fine for that.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 3:50:10 PM PDT
Does anyone know anything about One Click digital Media ? I've managed to download it, even checked out a book ! but it's not like Overdrive - doesn't seem to allow you to download the books to your computer and thence to your Sansa Clip+. The book didn't want to download directly to my Sansa either, although it's on their list of approved devices. I have it set to Auto detect so maybe the USB setting needs to be changed? Anyway, the darned book I checked out is merrily downloading to somewhere - I 've no idea where !!!!!!!!! I think this programme also keeps track of expiry dates. I think I might not like it ! Thanks for any assist, Vi

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:23:45 PM PDT
D. says:
I just download their books to my desktop unzip the files move them to a folder I have in My Documents(My Music/Net Books) folder & play the file so the license downloads & the load to my player using WMP.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:51:16 PM PDT
Thanks, D. I did manage to transfer the book to my Sansa Clip+ , but did not have an option of where to put it - I found it by selecting Play All, but with Overdrive I always choose to put the books in Audio Books. I find that One Click is nowhere near as customer friendly as Overdrive ! By comparison it seems slow and clumsy and I think that before too long I will get rid of it !
I have found one more library in my county that offers OverDrive so I will probably drive out there and get a library card. That way I will at least have 2 chances of getting the books I want ! Thanks for your input, Vi

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:04:06 PM PDT
Vi,
You may have already discovered this, but with new books on Overdrive they often have multiple copies so even if you are 40 on the list, you can still often obtain the book in quite a reasonable time. I didn't know this at first and didn't bother to put a book on hold thinking it would be a year before it would come up!
Cheri

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 3:55:01 PM PDT
Thnk you so much, all who have helped. I have decided to go with a San Disk product.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:42:35 PM PDT
Nicki says:
I talked my friend into getting a Sansa Clip. She has never listened to audio books before. She has a 30 CD King book and her husband downloaded it and put it in itunes. It is in the correct order in itunes but when he put it on the Sansa clip it is mixed up. He tried to renumber but it would not let him. Any fixes? I only use overdrive so I could not help him. I have never liked itunes and I have to have it for my ipad but I don't let it touch my music

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:04:03 PM PDT
Cheri, thanks for your response. The library I belong to is one of 32 small libraries in Central Texas that belong to a consortium for using Overdrive. The info underneath each book says "library copies: 1 " - I hope that means that MY library has one copy, not 1 between the 32 libraries !!!!!!! I think the E-books are more popular than the audio books, but unfortunately more and more car drivers in my small town have found the Overdrive audio books (long distances between places in Texas !!) so there's almost always a waiting list. We're only allowed 5 books out and 3 on reserve, and as they are almost all WMA format you are not allowed to return them early. Time period was one week, so I was able to juggle around that - but they have just changed the time you have the book to two weeks ! It's horrible ! I get through a lot of audio books as I listen while I work (at home) and don't get time to actually READ books. It's becoming an art to make sure I have enough room for when a reserve becomes available ! When I get time I will drive to the one other library in the Consortium that is in my county, and get a library card there. At least I will be able to have 10 books out and 6 on reserve that way - I hope !!!!!! Vi

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 12:12:22 AM PDT
AshenTech says:
Nicki look up bulk rename utility, name the files as follows 001 002 exct(when you get to 10 it would be 010 exct) that should help.

itunes is ment for ipods/iphones not other devices....they could try media monkey, doubletwist or a slew of other media managers....

also may want to ask for help with this on the anythingbutipod forums as thats the best place to get help with non-cowon players.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 12:23:17 AM PDT
D. says:
When you say her husband downloaded the 30 CD book you do mean to say ripped the Cd's to the hardrive ? He could move the files from iTunes to the My Music folder of the users Documents & then edit the file tags with a program called MP3 Tag to change the disc to 001,002,003 ect as Ashen Tech suggested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 12:27:53 AM PDT
D. says:
When ever I visit a city in California that has a library I always try to go to their library & get a card just to access the online content.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 4:18:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 10:47:25 AM PDT
Hi Vi,
Well I think 1 copy means 1 for all those small libraries. Yikes! I had the same problem for my small library group but I live in Massachusetts and can be a member of the Boston Public Library. In joining that I got an additional much larger selection and new books often have very large numbers of copies (at least intially). You might find out if in TX you can belong to one of the larger libraries (say the capital Austin) and sign up on line (I did that for Boston). Then I used my online Boston membership to access Overdrive.
It must be very HOT in Texas right now!
Cheri

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 7:51:03 AM PDT
Nicki says:
I live in Ca and I have cards at a few libraries. For me, a better state is Washington. The two places I use have the best books. They seem to get books faster and they carry a really good selection of the suspense, mystery books I like to listen to. Maybe those library systems have more $$$ than California.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 10:43:51 AM PDT
D. says:
Must be nice C. Leonard. You have to go in person to get a library card here. I have renewed my card via telephone for one that is not local.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 10:46:31 AM PDT
D.
After 3 years you are required to go in person and get an actual card. I am in Boston now and then, so I dropped by and got mine. No renewal.
They have an incredible number of books. I have noticed that it is increasingly more ebook type than audio but there is more than enough for me!
Cheri

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 11:23:25 AM PDT
D. says:
Very fortunate there. I don't know when they started with the renewal of cards here. When I moved to this area in the mid 80's there was no card renewal but, then there was no internet content either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 11:40:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 11:42:10 AM PDT
Thanks to all who are responding - it's so helpful to read what others are doing. I hadn't given a thought to looking into getting a card from Austin, so I did that this morning. Anyone in Texas is eligible, but as in all the other libraries I have checked, you have to apply in person - with a photo ID and proof of residency. It's harder to get a library card than it is to vote in a national election !!!!!!!!!!
Austin does have Overdrive, so I will go that route - just a matter of finding time to drive there. I am going to get rid of One Click right now !!!!!!! Thanks everyone. Vi

Cheri, I forgot to say that yes, it's pretty hot here right now - in the nineties - but that's not too bad ! Vi

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 11:55:11 AM PDT
D. says:
You don't need the OneClick software to download the books from their site. I don't like this new platform. I prefer the old NetLibrary platform. It was much easier to search & see what they had in their database. This OneClick is worst than the EBSCOhost they were using for a brief period. Wonder if can get that changed back??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 3:01:54 PM PDT
Janice Long says:
How do you get a library card if you don't live in that state?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:16:59 AM PDT
Advice....I "lost" my ipod ...refurbished from Apple in October 2008...while watering the garden listening to the end of "Steve Jobs"...ironic? I really like that model and want to replace it to listen to podcasts and MP3 books. Any advice? Apple does not have any. I also use 2 Sansa Clip Plus but they just are not as easy to use.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:27:51 AM PDT
AshenTech says:
it really depends on your needs, if you must use itunes, then you need another ipod, if you google around you will find alot of sites selling older generation ipods refurbished.

I dont find the clip+ to be hard to use, tho, the small screen can be a bit restrictive.

if you want a player with a larger screen, try the original fuze (not the fuze+), if you want/can afford something more powerful, the cowon c2 is an option, just be warned you will need to update the firmware on it(easy) and will probably want to install a user made UI(easy)
the c2 isnt hard to use, a bit confusing at first for people use to other devices, but not hard to use at all.

another option would be something from samsung(i would put samsung 2nd to cowon in quality, above sandisk), they have quite a few good models, but, be warned that samsung players do tend to cost more then sandisk players, and at times more then cowon players even.

once again tho, if you need itunes support, then you need to get an apple product sorry to say.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:23:27 AM PDT
Thank you. I will try to put podcasts on the Clip+. I assume I will have to use my elderly PC. And my children reported they have a number of IPODs lying around 3 hours from here! Maybe they will send them?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  418
Total posts:  3510
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2007
Latest post:  8 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 93 customers

Search Customer Discussions