Customer Discussions > MP3 Player forum

How to play MP3's through the car radio speakers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2011 9:00:24 AM PST
Candall says:
Okay, I know my techno-level is "Neandrathal," but all I want to do is stop renting audiobook CD's at the library (three hours away) and download them so I can listen to them in my car. I've read MP3 forum posts for four hours and I'm sure I'll be fine with the econo-Sansa product, but I don't want to be driving along with earbuds. Is there a gizmo that will allow me to play the audio through my radio--via the cigarette lighter, perhaps? Thank you so much,
Candace

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 9:16:11 AM PST
Tony says:
candace,
Look at an fm transmitter.
if you have a smartphone you can do what I do for the time being. The motorola t505 allows you to stream music via bluetooth from your phone/ bt device to the motorola device, which in turn finds an available fm channel. You tune your car radio to that channel and then the music will play through it. Not ideal, but the simplest method.
If you don't have an audio out jack an fm transmitter is the way to go.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:10:03 AM PST
Candall says:
Well, Tony, thanks for that speedy reply. I found the Coby Wireless Transmitter With Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter and it looks like JUST the ticket. You wouldn't believe how long I spent trying to make "MP3 Accessories" cough up the appropriate gadget; I simply didn't have the terminology I needed. Pfft.

Thanks again,
Candace

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 2:17:35 PM PST
A better option is a cassette player adapter. (assuming your car has one) the FM transmitters I have used give a lot of static sometimes.
P.S. for free audiobooks go to booksshouldbefree.com

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 7:52:16 PM PST
I bought a set of Altec Lansing BXR1220 2.0 USP Speaker they accept input from any MP3 player. Sounds great and it's cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 10:15:41 PM PST
Ordie says:
I bought an FM unit for my MP3 player so we could listen to my music in the car. Dunno if it was the FM unit or my Oldsmobile but performance was zilch. Changed freqs, moved unit all around.
I hope you have better luck than I did.
Merry Christmas !!

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 1:13:10 PM PST
Candall says:
Okay! Placed my order! I bought a basic Sanza Fuze that came with some extra goodies bundled in for cheaper than just the player itself--love when that happens--PLUS one of the bundled items netted me a free bonus set of highly rated $15 earbuds.

I went with an MP3-Cassette Car Adapter because all the reviewers were congratulating themselves on avoiding the FM transmitter static that seems to be quite common.

And finally a $2.50 set of skin/cords/chargers that doubled in price with shipping charges--think I can handle it.

I'm just sorry I didn't read about those speakers while I was assembling my new system--which, if all goes well, might provide vast new worlds of entertainment value for the rockbottom total price of $69. Take that, iMac.

I was totally clueless--audiobook ground zero--before digging in to plow through the Amazon reviews of various gizmos; then this thread pulled it all together for me with the final touches. Thanks so much, everyone!

Best,
Candace

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 5:54:11 AM PST
Cassette adapter is the easiest option and should be fine for audio books, but if you want some kind of sound quality than it should be the last choice. Digital sound quality from an mp3 player is being lowered to audio cassette quality when cassette adapter is used. FM transmitters are better thing if you can find a frequency without static. Some car radios have aux in and this should be the best option but of course that's if your radio is equipped with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 7:35:05 PM PST
ColdShot says:
if your beast has a hole for a cassette, you can have another option

slip in the cassette adapter, and put the plug into your mp3 player OR your dvd player, to get the sound out of it

I've done both.....it is cake

Universal Car Audio Cassette Adapter, Black

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 12:54:01 PM PST
Little Joey says:
C Poe
Good way to go. Those Sansa Fuze players are awesome, contain very good audio chipset and have more features that any ipod. Plus less expensive and you just drag and drop files without any crazy itunes complications. Also good that you avoided the FM transmitter. Those things are really problematic. Just when you ahve it all set, some local station will start taking over and you have to reset BOTH the car radio and the FM transmitter device. total pain.

Tip: As you work through how to set up and use the Fuze, the guys on the forum over at the Sansa website are a terrific help. I have been on that forum for years and don't know how I would have ever gotten up to speed without them. Very, very helpful. go to the Sansa website. Go to support. Then look for Forums. Choose Sansa Fuze (not the Fuze+). Have fun.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the MP3 Player forum (783 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  MP3 Player forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions