Customer Discussions > Music forum

Curious Omissions from Greatest Hits Albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 11:47:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 11:49:33 AM PDT
tmoore says:
Was listening to a live Big Star album recently where one of the tracks was a cover of T-Rex's "Baby Strange". Really liked it. I had also heard the T-Rex original on the radio recently (not on a corporate station). But said track is is not on the T-Rex Greatest Hits CD that I have (which is called "Ultimate Collection"). It was not on any greatest hits I could currently find on Amazon. Not knowing much T-Rex at this point outside of "Bang a Gong" and "Life's a Gas", I guess the rest of that CD must be pretty darn good, if they excluded "Baby Strange".

I understand that record companies may want to hold back tracks to induce interest in the individual albums, but it seems odd to me that "Baby Strange" is apparantly not on "any" currently available T-Rex greatest hits (it could be on out of print vinyl or CDs - I am not privy to that info).

So with that as a backdrop, what greatest hits seem incomplete to you? Include the album and the missing track(s).

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:29:04 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
It doesn't seem to matter how many "Best Of..."'s & "Greatest Hits" collections there are from The Who or Pat Benatar. A couple of my favorites are always left out.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:40:18 PM PDT
You could make a double or triple cd out of all the great songs left off of any Rolling Stones compilation that's been made.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:58:32 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
Bette Midler-The Best of Bette (1978) is missing Daytime Hustler...har har (laugh here!)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:01:01 PM PDT
I always get a kick out of 'Greatest Hits' albums released by one hit wonder bands. Flock of Seagulls: 'Greatest Hit + 9 Songs You've Never Heard Of".

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:26:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 1:30:11 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I think greatest hits albums are always going to have what someone considers "the most popular" songs. But especially if you love the group, they may not neccessarily be Your favorites. Or they will leave out some of your favorites.

With that said there are some groups I really like , but all I want is a greatest hits. There are many other groups though where I much prefer the regular albums, and usually there are so many albums.

I looked up "T Rex Baby Strange". I found it available as a .99 cent MP3 download, but it is strange there is no album new or used for it that I can find. I guess you could do a digital download and burn it to Cd if you want.

edit: Nevermind! It's on an album called "The Slider" and it IS available new , used, or DD. Just not a greatest hits album I guess.

Well the only T Rex I have is a digital download of a very long version of "Bang a Gong" :o) .

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:31:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 1:44:33 PM PDT
Hoagie Mike says:
Every single Foghat "best of"/Greatest Hits cd has the single-edit version of Slow Ride, not the full length album version.
That ain't right!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 1:33:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 1:35:02 PM PDT
"Baby Strange" was the FLIP SIDE of "Telegram Sam".

T Rex put out 28 singles. There would be no room time wise for it to fit on a Greatest Hits album.

"Telegram Sam" & "Metal Guru" were the only singles released off of `The Slider' album. So there would be no reason for "Baby Strange" to be on a Greatest Hits album, especially if the album is full of A sides.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:38:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 1:39:14 PM PDT
What we need to distinguish between here is the definition of a "Greatest Hits" comp and a "Best Of" package. Greatest Hits is limited by definition to songs that were released as singles or radio hits. A Best Of collection can include anything, including deep cuts and rarities.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 2:03:03 PM PDT
* says:
And "Anthology" is usually better than either of those.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:41:59 PM PDT
K. Carter says:
There are several Billy Squier compilations that omit "Lonely Is The Night". Still can't figure that one out...

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:47:48 AM PDT
^That's because someone owns the rights to the song and WILL NOT release it to anyone under any circumstances. This is a common scenario. The owner has the thing stored two miles up his butt because he thinks it's 'gonna be worth more someday'....

Ever run into the sad sack who has a classic car sitting outside, rotting into the gorund? You inquire about it and the answer is 'hell no...it isn't for sale - I'm gonna fix it up someday'. You drive by 20 years later and it's still sitting there in a heap with weeds growing through the floorboards. Total waste held away from the public by a greedy troll. Same goes for OOP and 'unavailable' music.
Your reply to Ghost of Doctor Metal's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:35:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 12:35:45 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
April Wine's "Classic Masters" cd has superb remastered sound quality and pretty much every track I like from them, except...

"All Over Town"

It's only one of their biggest radio hits from their best selling album, "Nature of the Beast".

Stoopid....

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 12:42:43 PM PDT
Bob Seger - Even Now

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 1:48:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 1:50:15 PM PDT
That's like Rhino's Iron Butterfly compilation. It features the single edit of "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida." We all know THAT is not right at all.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 1:52:24 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Madonna's Celebration album contains 34 of her hits and 2 new songs for that album. Even still, there are so many great singles that were omitted.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 8:38:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 4, 2012 8:40:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 3:27:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2012 5:30:35 AM PDT
There is a reason for that. The record company wants to make sure that sales for the original In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida continue. Ditto for the album Slow Ride was originally on. MCA used to do this too with The Who (Won't Get Fooled Again) and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Free Bird - only they usually put the live version on hits packages rather than the studio single edit), but they have quit doing that. However they do still put the single edit of Who Are You (cutting the final verse) on all the comps.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 4:07:18 AM PDT
NIKOLAY says:
15 minutes ago by listening to FLIRTS (GREATEST HITS) is a compilation of 80 years.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 6:06:49 PM PDT
A. Vernon says:
Journey doesn't have "Stone in Love."

The Police's "Every Breath You Take: The Singles" and "Every Breath You Take: Classics" don't have "Synchronicity II" (although I think the various greatest hits packages do).

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 6:46:57 PM PDT
Kil Roi says:
These are the tracks from Paul Simon's "Negotiations and Love Songs (1971-1986)"
curiously missing: My Little Town

1. Mother and Child Reunion
2. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
3. Something So Right
4. St. Judy's Comet
5. Loves Me Like a Rock
6. Kodachrome
7. Have a Good Time
8. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
9. Still Crazy After All These Years
10. Late in the Evening
11. Slip Slidin' Away
12. Hearts and Bones
13. Train in the Distance
14. Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War
15. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
16. You Can Call Me Al

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 8:10:20 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
And... The Obvious Child too.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:41:18 PM PDT
The problem is this...it's the greatest HITS as opposed to the greatest SONGS. That's why these collections are usually mediocre and lacking.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 8:46:43 PM PDT
With some groups, that's definately the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 3:20:30 AM PDT
Simon ultimately regarded My Little Town as a Simon & Garfunkel song which is why he never put it on Negotiations.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions