Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

FAVORITE SONGS FROM THE 70'S ALL GENRE

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6876-6900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 8:29:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 8:29:47 PM PDT
Althea says:
Ry,

We can see what you've been up to today, hope it's been fun for you. We all appreciate you so very much. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 9:05:40 PM PDT
AP
I knew that...................BUT
the results are AWESOME!!!!
TY
strung out over you hugs
lois

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 9:11:02 PM PDT
Just Be Thankful For Whatcha Got!!!
lois
I Am,IAm

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 9:43:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2009 9:33:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 9:55:19 PM PDT
Robdogincali says:
That would be the Steve Miller Band...one of my faves by them!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 10:13:11 PM PDT
Robdogincali says:
Funny that Cheech & Chong recorded for the same label as Carole King...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 5:12:00 AM PDT
JNM says:
Ry
I saw REO on tv - a live concert taped within the last year or two - very good - what struck me is the vocals were so good; it seems most rock bands get old their voices are shot and it's embarrassing. Also a pet peeve is when bands just slog through their tunes without really singing the melodies on cue. REO didn't do that. Also the guitar player who replaced Gary pretty much had the solos note for note.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 5:48:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2009 6:14:09 AM PDT
Daryl Bolton says:
Ry: Thanks so much for listing a whack of your vintage vinyl! You'll have me diggin' through my boxes of 45s soon! I've always had an eye for classic 45 pic sleeves. Some the favourites in my collection are:
Van Halen- Panama (Japanese version with very cool Japanese script across the front!), Jump, I'll Wait, Hot For Teacher
Ringo Starr- Goodnight Vienna
ZZ Top- Tush
Grand Funk- We're An American Band
War- Why Can't We Be Friends
Blondie- Atomic
Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to Love, Rock You/Champions, Fat Bottomed Girls, Another One Bites the Dust
Aerosmith- Dude Looks Like a Lady, Rag Doll, Love in An Elevator
Rolling Stones- Miss You, Start Me Up, Mixed Emotions
Beatles- Paperback Writer, Hey Jude
Cheech & Chong- Earache My Eye
Elvis Presley- Baby Let's Play House
Pretenders- Back On the Chain Gang
Alexie Sayle- Didn't You Kill My Brother?
Prince- Purple Rain (I've got the 12" of this as well, on, you guessed it, purple vinyl!)
Kiss- Flaming Youth (their only PS from the 70's!)
Pink Floyd- Another Brick In the Wall
Blues Brothers- Soul Man
Police- the "badges" 45 rpm picture discs, each in custom slipcases, for Roxanne, Message In a Bottle, and Don't Stand So Close To Me!
Foreigner- Urgent (by the way, I got my copy of the Foreigner- 4 LP signed by Mick Jones and Lou Gramm when they popped into the radio station before a concert here back in the 90's. Lou signed in one of the 4 quadrants of the cover, and Mick in the opposite one. Lou wrote "To Daryl, Keep On Rockin'", a reference to the song "Juke Box Hero"!)

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 6:55:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2009 2:47:44 PM PDT
Daryl Bolton says:
Hi Ry: Here's what I can tell you about some of the curiosities you've listed. My comments are at the end of each paragraph:

"Blinded By the Light" ~ Bruce Springsteen. Mint white 1973 Columbia promo w/ like new P/S. It has the song lyrics on the back of the picture sleeve.- any white label promo 45 is rare, since they were only issued to radio stations. Quite often, they come with a stereo mix on one side and a mono mix on the other. AM stations wanted to air the mono mix to avoid losing information from the left or right channel of a stereo record, depending on how their console was set up. You say this has a pic sleeve as well? Pray tell, what is pictured on the front? The item is very rare, and certainly would be valuable since it's from a major artist.

"Santa Claus Is Comin to Town" ~ Bruce Springsteen. Like new white 1981 Columbia white label promo. Has an "ink stamp" on the label, the name & address of the Ohio radio station it once came from.- again, a rare white label promo from a major artist, and in this case, not widely available to the public. You could buy the retail version of this the year it came out, after that, forget it. Do not mar any stickers or stamps that the radio station added to the record. They actually ADD to the value, and are often photographed in that state for lavish coffee-table books depicting that artists discography and memorabilia!

"More Than You Deserve" ~ Meatloaf (later Meat Loaf). 1973 promo RSO Records. This was re-released in 1978 after the success of "Bat Out of Hell". Meatloaf had sung on quite a few records by then, including Ted Nugent's "Free For All". And I'm assuming we're all familiar with "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". The 1978 reissue of the "Stoney & Meatloaf" LP had a picture of a meatloaf on a plate dressed up to look like a face, with ketchup, bolgona and mushrooms. The original pressing 45 is rare!

Three Track EP by Led Zeppelin on Atlantic. 45 sized w/ a small LP sized hole. Plays at 33 speed. Side A: 1) "Rock and Roll..2) "Black Dog"...Side B: 1) "Stairway to Heaven". -unbelievable! Good quality copies of all the Led Zeppelin 45's are valuable, in demand, and not aquired cheaply. You correctly point out that "Stairway" was never commercially released as a single, but there were radio station white label promo only 45rpm singles issued back in '72! THEY are extremely rare, with a stereo mix on one side, mono on the other. Bidding usually starts at $ 50.00 for those, and they usually appear only one at a time on a worldwide search of Amazon/Ebay/Discogs! The record YOU are describing is even different from that!!! The small centre hole suggests a UK pressing. The fact that it contains the 2 actual singles from Led Zeppelin IV as well as "Stairway" makes it crazy rare! I'd love to hear more descriptive information from you about it! Do not part with that one cheaply, my friend. By far the rarest item on your list.

"Jingle Bell Rock" ~ Daryl Hall & John Oates......Mint 1985 RCA promo w/ mint P/S & red vinyl.- issued in a pic sleeve with both red and green vinyl versions, these are very rare. Bidding would START at $ 25.00 on something like this.

"Pac-Man Fever" ~ Buckner & Garcia.....It's original release in 1981 on an indy label called BGO Records.- usually found on the Columbia label (I have a copy!) and released in 1982, the earlier 1981 BGO pressing is very rare! An in demand item, since no documentary about the 80's is complete without acknowledging the rise of video games in pop culture, usually to the sound of this hit!

"Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy" ~ David Bowie & Bing Crosby......1977 Mint RCA promo 45 & P/S.- I've got a copy. Not as rare as some of the items listed above, but still a $ 15.00 to $ 25.00 item!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 10:20:55 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2009 9:33:24 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 10:57:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2009 2:43:22 PM PDT
Daryl Bolton says:
Here's comes my version of "Have a Nice Decade: the 70's Box, Vol. 3" so let the good people at Rhino know they need only look here for programming suggestions! Again, each artist is listed only once in the series, and they get one song apiece, just to keep things interesting. REMASTERED WITH BONUS COMMENTARY, VOL. 3, SIDE A:

Heart- Magic Man- written by Ann for her then boyfriend, and band manager Michael Fisher. Ann's sister Nancy was in a relationship with Michael's brother, and Heart guitarist, Roger Fisher, at the same time!
Jim Croce- Workin' at the Car Wash Blues- I got 'dem steadily depressin' low-down mind-messin' workin' at the car wash blues.
Teenage Head- Your Tearin' Me Apart- Hamilton, Ontario punk band famous for sparking a riot during a June 1980 concert at Toronto's Ontario Place.
Sweeny Todd- Roxy Roller- featuring Nick Gilder of "Hot Child in the City" fame.
Incinerators- Disco's in the Garbage- really a morning show bit by Toronto Q-107 DJ Brother Jake Edwards that was so popular it got released as a single nationwide!
Steve Forbert- Romeo's Tune- dedicated to the memory of the Supreme's Florence Ballard, who died at the age of 32 after having spent the last 5 years of her life in relative poverty.
Prince- I Wanna Be Your Lover- the Purple One's first successful single, released in '79.
Styx- Lady- originally released in '72, it was a huge hit in the band's native Chicago, championed by local radio station WLS, who never stopped playing it until it became a worldwide hit 3 years later!
Tubes- White Punks on Dope- the line "hang myself when I get enough rope" inspired the title of the Clash's 2nd album "Give 'Em Enough Rope"!
Isaac Hayes- Theme from Shaft- #1 in 1971 and Grammy winner for Best Original Song!
Rufus and Chaka Khan- Tell Me Something Good- penned by Stevie Wonder.
Al Stewart- Time Passages- produced by Alan Parsons.
Johnny Wakelin- Black Superman (Muhammed Ali)- written after Johnny watched Muhammed Ali defeat George Forman in the 8th round on Oct. 30, 1974.
Raiders- Indian Reservation- The song refers to the forcible removal and relocation of Cherokee people from southeastern states of the US to territories west of the Mississippi River in the 1830's.
Sister Janet Mead- The Lord's Prayer- considered one of the links in the development of what would become known as contemporary Christian music.
George Benson- On Broadway- originally a 1963 hit for The Drifters.
Jefferson Starship- Miracles- listed in Rolling Stones "Book of Rock Lists" under "Hits That Made It Past the Censors" for the lyric: "I got a taste of the real world, when I went down on you, girl."
Yes- Roundabout- editted down to 3:27 for American pop radio airplay, although many stations, bless 'em, played the album version anyway!
Tina Turner- The Acid Queen- released as an A-side to tie in with Tina's big screen debut in The Who's Tommy.
Tommy James- Draggin' the Line (1971)- It has been speculated that the song's title and lyrics refer to cocaine use.
Max Webster- Hangover- from the debut album of Kim Mitchell's first band, Kim is now a drive-time DJ on Toronto's Q-107.
Ides of March- Vehicle- Fourteen seconds of the completed "Vehicle" master was accidentally erased in the recording studio, and the missing section was spliced in from a previously discarded take.
David Johansen- Funky But Chic- co-written by Sylvain Sylvain (NY Dolls) who also plays on it.
Powder Blues Band- Doin' It Right- from this Vancouver band's double-platinum (in Canada) debut album "Uncut".
Pete Townshend- Pure and Easy (1972)- from Pete's debut solo album "Who Came First".
Rick James- Mary Jane- from his 1978 debut LP "Come and Get It!" and later referred to as his "ode to marijuana".
Muddy Waters- Mannish Boy- from his 1977 Chicago electric blues comeback album "Hard Again", produced by Johnny Winter.
Peter Tosh- Legalize It- title track from his debut album as a solo artist, recorded at Treasure Isle and Randy's, Kingston, Jamaica in 1975.
Disco Tex & the Sex-o-Lettes- Get Dancin'- a disco group of the 1970s with a large gay following, mainly due to the overtly camp image of lead vocalist, Sir Monti Rock III.
Hot Chocolate- Every 1's a Winner- English pop band formed by Errol Brown.
Peaches & Herb- Shake Your Groove Thing- Herb Fame sang with a number of different "Peaches", but most successfully Linda Greene, heard here.
Foxy- Get Off- Miami-based Latino/disco group's 1978 crossover hit.
Bob Welch- Sentimental Lady- Bob quits Fleetwood Mac in December 1974 citing exhaustion. On July 11, 1975 Fleetwood Mac release their self-titled LP which goes on to sell 4.5 million copies!
Andrew Gold- Thank You For Being a Friend- he has the singular distinction of being the first human voice to be 'heard' on the surface of Mars: his rendition of the theme from the television series Mad About You, entitled "Final Frontier," was used as the wake-up call for the Mars Pathfinder space probe in 1996.
Pratt & McClain- Happy Days- a 1970s era commercial jingle singing band, originally called Brother Love.
Eric Weissberg- Dueling Banjos (theme from "Deliverance")- the song led to a successful lawsuit by the song's composer, since it was used in the film without his permission.
Jerry Reed- East Bound and Down- from the film "Smokey and the Bandit", Reed also stars in the film as The Snowman.
Kansas- Carry On Wayward Son- included in vh1's "100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs of All Time".
Blood, Sweat & Tears- Lucretia MacEvil- from "Blood, Sweat & Tears 3" (1970).
George McCrae- Rock Your Baby- became one of the first hits of the disco era in 1974, selling an estimated eleven million copies worldwide.
Andy Kim- Rock Me Gently- by the end of 1976, Kim stopped recording and disappeared from public life, returning to the stage in 1980 under the stage name 'Baron Longfellow'.
Four Seasons- December 1963 (Oh What a Night)- new drummer Gerry Polci and bassist Don Ciccone shared lead vocals with long-time frontman Frankie Valli.
Seals & Crofts- Diamond Girl- a jazzy, minor-key shuffle with a walking bass line that was obviously heavily influenced by Van Morrison's "Moondance".
Starbuck- Moonlight Feels Right- the song title is also the name of Starbuck's official website!
Ace- How Long- while the song seems to be a story of a love affair gone bad, lead singer Paul Carrack confirmed that he composed the song upon discovering that bassist Terry Comer had been secretly working with other bands!
Wednesday- Last Kiss- Oshawa, Ontario band had a hit with this cover version in 1974, then followed it up with another teen-snuff song "Teen Angel"!
Bellamy Brothers- Let Your Love Flow- country duo David & Homer Bellamy from Darby, Florida.
Carol Douglas- Doctor's Orders- Douglas recalled when she first auditioned she was told "I sounded great, but too black!"
Patrick Hernandez- Born To Be Alive- the remixed version shot up the disco charts to #1 (#16 on Hot 100) and by year's end, had racked up 52 gold and platinum record awards worldwide.
Faces- Stay With Me- the lyrics describe a woman with "red lips, hair and fingernails" he "found... down on the floor".

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 12:59:12 PM PDT
ah Daryl. "Working at the Car wash blues" Jim Croce. I used to to know every word to that song and sing it along with him when it was out in '73, Now I play it on the piano and it really 'works'.

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 1:55:07 PM PDT
cw says:
Jim Nasium the Led Zepplin e.p. was made for jukeboxes only and is rare the jukeboxes of the late 60's and early 70's played what they called mini lp's and I have some of theese but usualy they are well worn

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 11:09:13 PM PDT
Tuneman45 says:
I'm wondering if folks like
Tuneman45, cw, Daryl or anyone else has came across any of these themselves

Nice batch of rareities. I am not familiar with any of those. In their rare form that is. I would arugue on the Led Zepplin, the record company has to market the song as a single. Releasing it to radio stations to promote it as a single. An EP does not a single make. But it is interesting that it was released that way. I have never heard of that one, nor the other artists on the Bob Seger EP.

Not sure about he Manilow single. It isn't on my copy of Barry Manilow Live. It appears on one of his Christmas CD's that I have.

Catching up with the tread here, but looking forward to reading about Jim Croce.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 11:51:02 PM PDT
Tuneman45 says:
Ry, You really got my attention with the Led Zeppelin rarity. Check out this site:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Rock_and_Roll_(Led_Zeppelin_song)

it addresses the question Daryl brought up about whether or not it is UK or USA. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the SD could mean. I think it may be Single Demo. The 7 obviously refers to 7 inch since you said it has a small hole. More will be revealed.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 2:02:57 PM PDT
Althea says:
Hello,

This may be of interest to some of you.

Peter Gabriel:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2009/10/peter_gabriel_radiohead_neil_y.html

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 2:13:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2009 9:33:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 2:19:25 PM PDT
Althea says:
Hi Ry,

Running out to dinner. Looking forward to reading this later. :-)

AP

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 2:22:42 PM PDT
cw says:
Tuneman45 the sd designation on Atlantic lps was just a part of their catologing system sd probably meant vinyl the cassettes would have a different prefix as would the 8-tracks and the reel to reels these numbers were used by the record store in ordering the lp's like I said in a earlier post the Led Zepplin 33 ep was a jukebox only release it would be considered a mini lp and there were a lot of these made from the early 60's to the late 70's I have some of these most of the one's you find are well worn you usualy had to pay 50cents to play them I have a Three Dog Night one for the album "Cyan" and at least one Merle Haggard one

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 2:37:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2009 9:34:05 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 2:51:08 PM PDT
Daryl Bolton says:
Jim J.: That's one of my favourite singles ever from Jim Croce. Honourable mention: Roller Derby Queen and Bad Bad Leroy Brown. His segment on the Midnight Special DVD series that is promoted in that 30-minuted TV infomercial is a wonder to behold. A genuinely charismatic and disarming character that really seemed to love performing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 4:27:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2009 9:34:20 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 4:36:40 PM PDT
cw says:
Jim for some reason I don't remember it being on my "Barry Manilow Live" vinyl album I will have to find my copy and look mine came from the RCA music service as did alot of my albums from back then or Columbia house I have the expanded edition of Barry Manilow Live" and love the Lady Flash cuts added on it it is one of my favorite live albums of all time and speaking of the record clubs their is a record club pressing of "Get The Knack" that contains the edited version of "Good Girls Don't"

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 7:24:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2009 9:34:38 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 7:54:01 PM PDT
Hugo A-Go-Go says:
1. Complete Control-The Clash
2. New York-The Sex Pistols
3. 53rd & 3rd-The Ramones
4. 12XU-Wire
5. Something's Gone Wrong Again-The Buzzcocks
6. New Rose-The Damned
7. Mama Weer All Crazee Now-Slade
8. Police Truck-The Dead Kennedys
9. The Sound Of The Suburbs-The Members
10. Public Image-Public Image Ltd.
11. Teenage Lobotomy-The Ramones
12. I Found Out-Plastic Ono Band
13. Borstal Breakout-Sham 69
14. Chinese Rocks-Heartbreakers (Live at Max's)
15. isgodaman-Arthur Comix
16. Christine-Siouxsie & the Banshees
17. Alternative Ulster-Stiff Little Fingers
18. The Day The World Turned Dayglo-X-Ray Spex
19. London Lady-The Stranglers
20. Part Time Punks-Television Personalities
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
★The Music of Our Lives 6.3★ 7866 17 minutes ago
Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1967-1972: 27-Disc Box Set 11 18 minutes ago
Worst band of all time...... 515 29 minutes ago
Real bad albums with some absolute cracker songs so good you had to buy 27 1 hour ago
Song Game - Part III 9461 1 hour ago
Johnny Thunders wants to know what you've been listening to. 4372 1 hour ago
What are you listening right now? 3000 1 hour ago
While You are looking for something to Post in this Forum, what are you listening to??? 5017 1 hour ago
The "Musical Genius" club - who's in? 33 2 hours ago
What are some albums that have mattered the most to you? 1 3 hours ago
If you could hang out with any band or artist, who would it be? 42 3 hours ago
The music of the 1990's - what did u like? 84 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  538
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions