Customer Discussions > Music forum

What was the first record you bought and after you played it said "that was a waste of money!"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 7:37:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 7:38:07 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I had a cassette copy of Let It Be and a copy of Ram.

Then I bought "The Beatles Story"...stupid me, no tunes, just talking.

That was the first record I ever traded in at a used record store.
It was a double record "taboot, taboot" in other words, big cash for a kid who made his money washing cars.

Now the bleeping thing is a collector's item!!!!!!!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:22:44 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
Interesting idea for a thread, vivazappa !

I'm sure there are more, but the first one that comes to me? Pete Townsend's "Iron Man".

Always been a huge fan, and I've always bought his solo stuff "sight unseen" so to speak. But this one? I don't know - I gave it at least 5 or 6 listens, and it still wasn't going anywhere with me. I believe it was supposed to be some kind of soundtrack to a musical (?), so I was kind of expecting more of a "White City" type of record. But......wow. I still can't quite describe what this strange album represents, and I have pretty WIDE palette for musical genres.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:56:28 AM PST
bass boy says:
I know I'm going to get fire hurled at me for this, but Radiohead's "OK Computer."

I love, love, love Radiohead's "The Bends," so I was floored at how much I disliked the band's followup. I know Radiohead is an "important band" that we must all love, but so far, the only thing I love by them is "The Bends." Everything else is just too weird for the sake of only being weird.

Re: Stratocaster/Townshend's "Iron Man," I like some of it. "Dig" is a decent song, but yeah, I don't play this album nearly as much as Townshend's other albums (and The Who catalog.) :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:21:09 AM PST
Steve Vrana says:
I was a junior in high school when John Lennon's "Unfinished Music, No. 2: Life with the Lions" came out. My record collection still had fewer thirty albums, but being a huge Beatles fan I had to have this album. It was the biggest disappointment of my life! To this day, the only track that I can bring myself to listen to is "Two Minutes Silence"--and that's exactly what it is.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:33:27 AM PST
Glyn Styler says:
That's funny Steve - I was just about to say John & Yoko's "Two Virgins"! At least the album cover infuriated my parents, and was fun to carry around in school. Then there was Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" which was a great joke, but I never played it a second time, in spite of my dedication to Lou.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:49:03 AM PST
Obscured By Clouds. Great name. I had just bought Dark Side and Meddle and was expecting the same. But this one was below mediocre at best. Back it went.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:17:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:18:37 AM PST
The earliest that comes to mind was The Clash's "Cut the Crap" album. I loved their prior album Combat Rock, and was expecting something at least comparable. It's a wretched album, I'd be surprised if even the band thinks otherwise. I don't have it anymore, but I still have a mild urge to get it again, because a) I might like it better today, who knows; and b) I have all their other albums and I'd like a complete collection.

More or less the same story for "Calling All Stations" by Genesis, several years later.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:19:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:20:48 AM PST
I also occasionally used to buy bootleg live albums at high prices, only to discover they sounded like crap (sometimes they were ok, but rarely deserved repeated listenings). Definitely a waste of money there, and not even towards a good cause.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:28:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:28:33 AM PST
bass boy says:
Hey Rare Goat, I've seen The Clash's "Cut the Crap" CD in stores for $5 or $6 brand new. It's not remastered, just a 2008 reissue of the old CBS catalog version - same mastering and all. I don't have it either, but I've seen it recently, so if you're in the mood to throw the dice on it for $5 or $6, it's there. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:44:37 AM PST
"Cut the Crap" is still crap! Unless you're a sadist or completist there is no need to own it. If you have the song "This is England" on a comp somewhere there is no need to revisit this...and I love the Clash.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:50:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:53:56 AM PST
My friend and I rode our bikes up to the record store. I saw Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" and immediately thought it was the Kinks song "Destroyer" because of the phrase 'paranoia'...yada yada..because back then I didn't know the song title. Well I put the record on and was not prepared for what I was hearing. During the song "Electric Funeral" I got so freaked out and had enough that I ripped the record off my record player and took it into the backyard where I proceeded to shoot it up into a million pieces with my BB gun. This thing was evil and had to die immediately!

Years later I regretted doing this but, under the circumstances, forgave myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:20:44 AM PST
bassboy,

Yeah, I've seen it cheap too. Just a matter of taking the dubious plunge into Crapsville again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:22:23 AM PST
Exile,

LOL at your Paranoid story...

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:33:28 PM PST
Zaplightning says:
Black Sabbath's "Never Say Die". I didn't even make it through the whole album.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:32:00 PM PST
bass boy says:
"Never Say Die" is all right - the title cut is fun - but Sabbath's next album, "Heaven and Hell," was/is better. :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:48:55 PM PST
My first CD player was a sort of cube shaped glossy black Sony Discman. My first CD's were by Twisted Sister and The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Most of the songs were not even worthy of a second listen. After that I tried to stick with bands I was very sure that I liked such as Van Halen, INXS, and the Doors. In the 80's it seemed foolish to keep wasting money when there were decent songs on classic rock stations and decent songs on pop stations. It was the late 1990's when I completely abandoned radio and started a serious album collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:08:39 PM PST
I still have my original Sony CD player I bought in 1985. I pull it out once in a while and it still works. Paid $225 for it, which was only $25 more than my 1977 Marantz turntable.

But the Discman was the cool evolution of the Walkman.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Sony_Discman_D_50.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:14:19 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Bass boy, totally with you on OK Computer. i eventually sold it.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:45:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 3:45:59 PM PST
I once read an interview with Bill Stevenson, drummer for All, Descendents, and Black Flag. He spent some time talking about this band whose album he was producing, and how amazing they were, totally unlike anything he'd heard. I went out and bought their album on a whim, and it sounded exactly like about 5-6 other bands that I'd listened to for 5 seconds before deciding I hated it. Just immediate turnoff material. Can't recall the name of the band, but I did immediately wonder, "why did I think I would like this again?" This was probably about 6 years ago.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:50:55 PM PST
These aren't the first records I bought but they are both considered classics and I have played them both several times and I'm not getting either one ....and have pretty much given up on them.

The first one is "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine. Now I know what they mean by 'noise rock'.

And more recently I have given "Forever Changes" by Love a fair shot but it has left me disappointed.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:05:55 PM PST
Being a big Jimi Hendrix fan I remember back in the early 70s I bought a bunch of really crappy albums not released by Warner Bros. I did like albums like War Heroes, Midnight Lightning and Crash Landing.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:14:39 PM PST
I remember the sense of intense revulsion and feeling utterly cheated when I bought Glen Campbell's BASIC album when I was in high school, and it was nothing like what I thought it was supposed to be, having heard him for several years on the country AM radio stations. It was like he snorted a full load of coke and imitated Elton John. But the album's grown on me, since; I think it's one of his two best albums, now.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:54:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2012 4:02:25 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:43:14 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
As a spotty teen, I bought my first Grateful Dead album ( Grateful Dead - skull and roses) expecting this metal behemoth to come roaring out of my speakers. Imagine my disappoitment at hearing the opening bars to the laid back 'Bertha'! However, I've since become a big fan of the 'quintessential' American band.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:56:23 AM PST
Kil Roi says:
I almost bought the Dead's Wake of the Flood under the belief that with a name like the Grateful Dead, the music must rock. Back then there was no way to sample any tracks. I passed on the album and picked up something else. Had I bought Wake of the Flood at that time, I would have been extremely disappointed. "Row Jimmy", 'Mississippi Half-Step" and others would have been a major letdown, considering my appetite was for Grand Funk Live and Led Zeppelin II.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions