Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles : American Music and The British Invasion

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 6751-6775 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:39:10 AM PST
I've never seen a 16 rpm record either... I'm starting to see 33 rpm vinyl records quite a lot in stores these days, and quite expensive too, more so than they were in their heyday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:26:18 AM PST
Burdon and Price, don't forget them!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:42:12 AM PST
Dear Joyce,

I agree with you that many "wounds" are the result of choices that people make and that every choice we make will have consequences, both good and bad. My point is that rock stars as rich and famous as Ron Wood can be insulated from the consequences of many of their bad choices due to their wealth, fame and talent, just as many other very wealthy and famous people in other fields are insulated from the "real world". So, Mick (for the sake of argument) can have an affair on every woman he marries, if he chooses, because he doesn't have to worry about child support, maintenance etc...That does not mean the consequences are less real for everyone surrounding a rock star (like their children, friends, family) but only that in certain respects, rich and famous rock stars can continue to live in their fantasy world without going bankrupt or ending up in prison (Phil Spector excepted).

I am not saying that this applies to the average rock musician by any means. Only to those in the stratosphere of money and fame, who are able to live lives that the average person will never know. The money and fame brings its own set of problems that the average person will also never know so I guess its a wash!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:46:04 AM PST
Dear Donald,

Then there's the famous line from "Ramble On": But in the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair,
But Golum at the evil wall crept up and slipped away with her, her her yeah,
There was nothing I could do..."

Just a little Tolkien in that!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:48:36 AM PST
Dear Bernard,

What does Boxing Day celebrate? (I could look it up but why do that when this is so much more fun - and not an entirely solitary activity).

Tim

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:56:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 2:58:26 AM PST
Tim
I think it relates to an earlier era in Britain, when Christmas Day was a religious day only, and the next day, December 26, was 'boxing' day, where people opened their boxes where the presents were.
I hope I've got my history right there.
The day is recognised in the 'British Commonwealth ' countries, like Canada, Australia, and numerous other places on December 26th each year. It is a public holiday also.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:08:29 AM PST
Severin says:
Those "Ahhh...s" definitely sound like John to me; but the lyric is definitely Paul's. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:12:02 AM PST
Severin says:
Right and then there's 'Misty Mountain Hop' and "the ringwraiths ride in black" in 'The Battle of Evermore'.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:18:09 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
RE G. E. Show 'N Tell

I had a deluxe model with a built-in AM radio. I need to know the name/composer of the eerie music for "Animal Fossils". (It was also used in the "Untouchables" episode "Mr. Moon".)

The old filmstrip/record packages are available on E-bay.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:28:31 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Zeppelin looted from Tolkien almost as much as they did from Willie Dixon. The Hermit With The Lantern is a dead ringer for Gandalf.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:38:10 AM PST
Music Luver says:
And $he could not live without him in her life :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:45:50 AM PST
Music Luver says:
Nancy is a woman at least closer to Paul's age, and she is still attractive. And she certainly does not need his $$, so maybe this one will work out.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:47:51 AM PST
Steelers fan, I guess I should not be surpised as e bay has nearly everything but I WAS surprised. Very cool. thanks for the information. I will have to check it out for the sake of memories.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:14:12 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I love Zeppelin but they really did steal from many and often. Many songs not as blatant as Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon Song were not their own. If they would have just given credit, without lawsuits, we wouldn't even be talking about it. They were a great band though. I saw them about 5 times in the 70s and they were electrifying!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:16:54 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I thought Stairway To Heaven was tremendous! Great version!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:42:00 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
glad you liked the links! i know they weren't all that Christmasy, but at least the one guy in the tribute band had on a Santa hat! (i also know you love the Dave Clark 5, so, and that is one of my fav songs of theirs!)
so sorry that you had to work xmas eve, and also will be working NY eve and day.....do you all get overtime/holiday pay for it? that would be nice. i really don't do much for NY eve...it kinda depresses me, to tell you the truth. yes, i am hoping this coming year will be better.
i haven't seen the most recent 'uncut'....since all the physical book stores closed down (all, but one), i don't often see 'Uncut' or 'Mojo' anymore....since they are mags from England, most other stores don't carry them.
that sounds like quite a drive to your mom's....i know my mother's used to be about 1-1/2 hrs. each way, and i thought that was long! well, at least you had a good time, right?
thanks so much for the compliment, Bernard! you are one of my favs too; you know that! you know i think you are pretty awesome too! i really do appreciate you!!!
got to get up and get some coffee, so i will talk with you soon! (i have about 20 more posts to go thru as well! they sure do pile up! lol!)
have a great day, Bernard! kick back and relax, after all that driving! :)
love,
joyce ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:45:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 9:11:02 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
yes, 'its' twin!!!
see! i can't 'speak' without you! i always mess that one up, because i think of it as being possessive!!! gets me every time, even though i know the other is the same as saying 'it is'!!!
thank goodness you are back!!! (I REALLY MEAN THAT!!! IN A GOOD WAY!!)
thanks, Bernard! (you are awesome!) :)
love,
joyce :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:48:09 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard:
no prob! i am glad you are back (and correct me!)!!!
yes, i know! i always get hung up because it SOUNDS 'possessive' to me, like 'Jane's hat', or 'Bernard's magazine'!!! i will try and pay special attention to my weaknesses! :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:52:50 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Tim:
i do understand, and you are right; there is a certain amount of 'insulation' they enjoy, that us 'normal people' do not. keep in mind though, Mick may not be all that affected by having to pay child support, but he still has to read about it in the mags, has to answer questions about it in the press, and has to deal with his wife's wrath, when she does the same! he also has to deal with the kid, as he/she grows up, and either hates him for it, or tries to hit him up for things/cash, because they hate him for it, and are being passive/aggressive.....
i do understand what you are saying here, though...... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:54:04 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Tim and Don:
yes, Tim, just a little ('my precious!') :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:56:23 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Tim, Bernard, and All:
i always thought 'boxing day' was in England and Australia, the day after Christmas, the 26th....just sort of like a traditional thing.....they would have boxing, and special programming on the tele....sort of like, i don't know, say, 'Magical Mystery Tour', and stuff like that...... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:00:13 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Bernard and Tim:
i always thought it wasn't 'boxes', but actual 'boxing matches'! famous boxers would, you know, 'box', and they would have special shows on t.v. too? no???? sort of like a day to kick back (there is no 'kicking' allowed in 'boxing'!), and watch the tele, after all the craziness of the holidays. also, a day to visit family, friends, and neighbors, and maybe have a small get together, with food, and all sitting around the television....... well, that's what I thought it was about, anyway.... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:01:04 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
me too! yes, the 'lyric' is probably Paul's..... :)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:01:40 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
.....all awesome! :)
love,
joyce

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:03:27 AM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Steelers Fan:
i didn't even know there existed a 'deluxe model'!! i think, when i got mine, there was only the one....(i am OLD!)
what speed did the turntable use for the yellow records, especially the ones that were 'music only', do you know???? :)
love,
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions